Does anybody make their own ANYTHING anymore?

Options
Lottafolocsgirl
Lottafolocsgirl Members Posts: 51
edited August 2011 in The Powder Room
I was looking at this article http://tinyurl.com/3gw43wr and it got me thinking on how folks rely on pre packaged stuff for EVERYTHING. We don't sew anymore, many don't cook... and I sholl aint heard on no one making their own soap anymore. I know convenience may be the main reason for alot of this. But with all the chemicals in alot of this stuff we get now a days..does anyone still "DO it Yourself" anymore?

Comments

• Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I'd like to grow fruits/vegetables one day.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    No ? , but I use my own conditioner. A about a month and a half ago I discovered the egg/mayo/olive oil treatment joint, so I got to thankin', "? , why can't I make my own ? ?" and it works for me.

coconutmilk/egg/olive oil mixed together and put in my hair after I wash it. Put on my shower cap and let it sit for an hour or two while I'm reading, studying, or watching TV that night. Then I wash it out and then follow up with a store bought conditioner to get rid of the smell. My hair been wavy as ? ever since. Maybe not wavy, but it's no longer dry and brittle.
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I do...I sew & crochet.
    I breastfed & made my own baby food & used cloth diapers (for a lil bit) when I had kids..
    Use natural/home remedies for a lot of things like beauty, medicine & cleaning.
    I tried my own garden but it didnt work out. I do want one of those topsy turvy things.

Making soap tho..never tried that.
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I did my first garden this year. Planeted cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans, and some swiss chard. Veggies that are pretty easy to grow. I can do some simple sewing like hemming, but that's it. I've made my own soap once, but I didn't use it. I just had it in my bathroom for decoration. I also make my own scrubs and ? masks cause it's cheaper....
  • kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Um no....there are perks to living in the age we do.

I can sew a button and hem some pants though! :)
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I cook all the time. I can sew a button and hem my own pants. I can also plant a garden and I'll slaughter a animal for cooking. My mother still cleans her own fish sometimes if my uncle comes by with whatever he caught that day. ? , it was another thread were dudes say they will call Triple A to come change a flat tire for them smh. And I do still write letters sometimes
  • Suck Me Beautiful
    Suck Me Beautiful Members Posts: 878
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i made my own facebook page
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I cook almost every day for my family
    I don't sew that much other than mending a button or a hem
    I have a salsa garden with tomatos, onions, garlic, jalapenos, and cilantro. Plus I grow herbs like rosemary lemon thyme and lavender, also fruits like strawberries and I have a small lemon tree. I tried to grow watermelons but they never got that big... maybe the size of a softball.
    I do pottery so most of my bowls are hand made/hand painted

Never made my own soap but I make natural face masks all the time. I've made some hair masks and bath salts in the past too
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    besides food on occasion, nah. maybe one day i'll learn how to sew/hem.
  • Lottafolocsgirl
    Lottafolocsgirl Members Posts: 51
    edited August 2011
    Options
    lol "I made my own fan page" that does count for something:)
  • kheiyah4life
    kheiyah4life Members Posts: 58
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I really feel ya on that one. I have 2 children so convenience is important to me now. i love to sew and cook and most of the time i do make everything from scratch when i can.
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Not me, I'm a single guy but my mom always had a garden when we were little, and tried to cook us fresh stuff all the time. Don't know about the other stuff.