The Ancient Egyptians probably used Piezoelectricity for energy and stone carving

Options
toomy
toomy Members Posts: 369
edited September 2011 in The Social Lounge
Piezoelectricity ( /piˌeɪzoʊˌilɛkˈtrɪsɪti/) is the charge which accumulates in certain solid materials (notably crystals, certain ceramics, and biological matter such as bone, DNA and various proteins)[1] in response to applied mechanical stress. The word piezoelectricity means electricity resulting from pressure.

Your dentist probably uses a piezolectric drill to get rid of cavities. I don't understand why this technology isn't being used in rural areas or poor countries.

The ancient Egyptian/Ethiopian empire used a certain
form of electricity that was generated and distributed by
pyramids. It is different than modern electricity in that the
modern type is a low form of electricity that requires
transmission wires.
All the substances of the universe have a range or
spectrum of frequencies. You are familiar with the most
common spectrum - that of light. Scientists have named the
extremes that they know of this, calling them infrared and
ultraviolet. That means if you look at the seven colors of the
rainbow, starting with red then orange then yellow, green,
blue, indigo, and violet, then the light spectrum starts from
below red (infrared) and goes all the way to beyond violet
(ultraviolet).
Similarly the other forms of matter also have a range.
Solid matter comes in a range of solidity, from soft solids like
lead to very hard ones like diamond. Liquids also have a
range, starting with thin liquids like pure alcohol or
substances such as benzene, to thick liquids like gels. This is
true for all the seven forms of matter through the gases to
the ether, light, electricity, and magnetism.
Modern generated electricity is a lower-spectrum type,
barely above static electricity (the type that makes your
clothes cling). The ancients used a higher form of electricity
that did not require wires for transmission. It was transmitted
directly in the ether (i.e. in space) the same way radio
waves are transmitted. It was transmitted to the temples,
which served, among other things, as receiving stations. So
the temples had antennas used to receive the transmission.
These antennas can still be seen today erected in front of
some of the temples. Modern people call them obelisks.
There is one near you in Central park, New York that was
stolen by Americans from one of the temples, and many
more that were stolen by Europeans, perhaps the most
famous one being the one called Cleopatra's needle.
Now, the ancients had great reverence for technology.
To them it was a gift of nature coming directly from the
Gods. So they did not
treat it as casually as modern people do. Today everyone in
western countries has access to electricity, including
batteries, and they use it casually. There is no reverence
whatsoever for this gift of the Gods. The ancients used it
only when necessary, including it in the appropriate rituals,
and only for projects that were for the benefit of the
general society rather than individuals. Other than that they
went about their business the usual way, using ordinary
hand tools.
For this reason modern archeologists claim that the
ancients did not have the knowledge of high technology
such as electricity because they see the ancient Egyptians
going about their business using hand tools and physical
labor most of the time. Yet, there are many instances where
they have seen the manufacture of certain implements
such as stone coffins that were obviously made using some
kind of high-speed machinery. They dismiss these instances
as exceptions, and so never mention them in their studies
and reports. There are many sculptures and other pieces of
art found that are made of very hard stones such as diorite,
including vases with very thin walls, narrow necks and wide
bottoms. When they look at them, it's quite obvious that
they could not possibly have been made by hand. They
were certainly made using some kind of rotary machine
that required electricity. These are the kinds of items that
they bury in the basements of their museums because they
do not fit their theories and explanation concerning the
level of ancient technology.

Comments

• toomy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    SchemaPiezo.gif

A piezoelectric disk generates a voltage when deformed (change in shape is greatly exaggerated.

Direct piezoelectricity of some substances like quartz, as mentioned above, can generate potential differences of thousands of volts.

The best-known application is the electric cigarette lighter: pressing the button causes a spring-loaded hammer to hit a piezoelectric crystal, producing a sufficiently high voltage electric current that flows across a small spark gap, thus heating and igniting the gas. The portable sparkers used to light gas grills or stoves work the same way, and many types of gas burners now have built-in piezo-based ignition systems.
  • toomy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    http://www.gizmag.com/piezoelectric-generator-shoes/14945/

Piezoelectric generator creates power from shoes

Could walking or running generate enough energy to power your cell phone or GPS device? Dr. Ville Kaajakari has developed an innovative piezoelectric generator prototype small enough to be embedded in the sole of a shoe that's designed to produce enough power to operate GPS receivers, location tags and eventually, even a cell phone.

Harnessing kinetic energy is not without its challenges because it’s difficult to generate enough energy to power today’s applications. That’s where Kaajakari's invention - which has recently been featured in the MEMS Investor Journal - comes in.

The shoe generator uses a low-cost polymer transducer with metalized surfaces for electrical contact. Traditionally, ceramic transducers are hard and therefore unsuitable to use in shoes but Kaajakari's generator is soft as well as strong so it could replace a normal heel shock absorber without loss to the user experience.

According to Kaajakari, the new voltage regulation circuits can convert the piezoelectric charge into a usable voltage and combined with the polymer transducer give a time-averaged power of two milliwatts per shoe on an average walk - that’s comparable to lithium coin/button cells and enough to power running sensors, RF transponders and GPS receivers.

"This technology could benefit, for example, hikers that need emergency location devices or beacons," said Kaajakari. "For more general use, you can use it to power portable devices without wasteful batteries. Ultimately, we want to bring up the power levels up to a point where we could, in addition to sensors, charge or power other portable devices such as cell phones."

It will be interesting to see if Kaajakari’s inventiveness pays off – will shoes of the future be capable of charging mobile devices, and at the same time will our footsteps power the buildings we walk through?

Via: MEMS Investor Journal.
  • toomy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    This was posted on a topix message forum in 2006

To anybody remotely interested,
    I am a master of physics graduating 2000 A.D at the University of Kent at Canterbury. While I was doing an experiment in my granpas garage, to see if I could use the piezo electric effect to seperate the charge carriers in a semiconductor, I stumbled across something interesting. The idea I had failed to show any meaningful results (possibly due to poor equipment). However I left one of the piezo electric quartz blocks in my grandpas vice under pressure. My volt meter was registering 10 mV +/- 3, across the x cut faces. This voltage across the surfaces of the crystal will not deplete. I had already done this experiment at Graham Deblins precission engineers, Margate Kent England. I offered them this idea for free. Unfortunately Graham Deblins precission engineers has gone bankrupt and no longer exists. The experiment consists of short circuiting the x cut faces, so the voltage across the crystal becomes 0 volts. Then without changing the pressure the crystal is under, removing the short circuit. to my suprise the voltage across the x cut faces returned to 10mV +/- 3. As a matter of fact I can safely say that unless my voltmeter is giving me seriously eronious readings that you can short circuit the x cut faces an infinite number of times with the voltage returning on removal of the short circuit. If my voltmeter is not lying to me, and the experiment can be scaled up ( which it probably can't seeing as perpetual motion machines can't work via the laws of physics), this could provide a new means of generating vast quantitees of electricity. Forgive me if this is old news, or horribly flawed, I just can't find any information about it anywhere.
    Yours faithfully
  • toomy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Here's a cool idea. A Piezoelectric tree on the rooftop similar to wind turbines can power a home or a business.

Piezoelectricity is the charge that is generated in certain materials, mostly crystals, when they experience mechanical strain. This technology is already being used in a variety of common tools such as cigarette lighters and push-ignition barbecue grills. Piezoelectricity has the potential to provide us with a great source of green energy if it is properly utilized. As with many other renewable energy sources, scientists are diligently working to find the best possible ways to harvest piezoelectric energy.

Researchers at Cornell University have designed a vibrational wind turbine that can operate silently on rooftops. A variation on this idea is the Piezo-tree, a structure in which a piezo stem is covered with synthetic leaves. As the leaves flap in a breeze, they generate electricity, which can then be used by homes and businesses. Several models of the Piezo-tree have been tested successfully and scientists are currently working toward finding the best design and materials to optimize energy output.

The Innowattech Company is looking toward another source of movement for their piezoelectric design. They propose placing piezoelectric materials underneath busy roadways so the vibrations of passing cars can be put to use in generating electricity. This method, called parasitic energy harvesting, is currently being tested on a small scale but designers state that a typical 4-lane highway could produce just over 2 megawatts of power for every mile of roadway. This system could also potentially be used to harvest energy from airport runways and rail systems. In fact, the Tokyo subway system currently has approximately 270 square feet of piezoelectric flooring in place. With millions of travelers walking through the station each day, the flooring produces around 1400 kilowatts of electricity per second, enough to power the system's ticket gates as well as electric lights and displays.

On a smaller and more personal scale, scientists at the University of Michigan have developed a piezoelectric generator that measures less than ½ inch across. This tiny powerhouse can be used to power wristwatches, pacemakers, and health sensors using only the movement and vibrations of the human body. It is especially useful since it creates energy from any random movement as opposed to the regular, rhythmic motion required by some piezoelectric generators. Another useful creation is the piezoelectric cloth designed by scientists at Bolton University in the United Kingdom. This cloth can be made into clothing, which will then provide power for cell phones and other small personal electronics.

Our world is in a constant state of motion. Plants and trees swaying in the wind, vehicles moving, people playing and living their daily lives. Why not capture all that motion and turn it into a clean, endless energy source? Piezoelectricity is a technology that has limitless possibilities and we are sure to see new and larger scale inventions that will harness the power of motion for our use.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Smells like conjecture.
  • toomy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    for anyone interested in experimenting with Piezoelectricity I just got a link that gives a blueprint instructions on how to power a room or house with piezoelectricity...

http://www.mide.com/pdfs/Volture_Datasheet_001.pdf
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Wow, interesting thread. Good read.
  • bootsy_jenkins
    bootsy_jenkins Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Interesting! I'll have to check this out.
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited August 2011
    Options
    1. Pyramids do nothing to collect electricity.
    2. Modern electricity is not a 'low-form' or barely above static cling.
    3. Electricity does not need transmission wires. See Telsa Coils
    4. The 'light' spectrum high end is called Gamma Rays and the low end is call ELFs (extremely low frequency). Stuck in the middle of this spectrum is the visible light portion.
    5. While an amazing achievement for their time obelisk contribute nothing to electrical transmission.
    6. Electricity is one of the most highly understood concepts in the world. Maxwell equations completely define and explain the phenomenon of electricity and light. This is one area that the modern world has down cold.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    toomy wrote: »
    for anyone interested in experimenting with Piezoelectricity I just got a link that gives a blueprint instructions on how to power a room or house with piezoelectricity...

http://www.mide.com/pdfs/Volture_Datasheet_001.pdf

lol...dont nobody understand that ? , bruh, so what good does it do? i mean it sounds good and i like what u said about it potentially helping people then you need to dumb that ? down cause it almost seems like you using a bumch of polysyllabic words to obscure some baseless claims. wheres some layman type ? we can try at home at?
  • toomy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    lol...dont nobody understand that ? , bruh, so what good does it do? i mean it sounds good and i like what u said about it potentially helping people then you need to dumb that ? down cause it almost seems like you using a bumch of polysyllabic words to obscure some baseless claims. wheres some layman type ? we can try at home at?

Those are just instructions on how to plug in the piezoelectric devices.

The idea behind piezoelectric is that you can do simple things like walking and if you have a piezoelectric sensor on your heel it can convert that walking energy into electricity. a mobile phone company have already made a prototype shirt with piezoelectric sensors on it. The people wearing piezoelectric shirts stand in front of live bands playing at a musical festival and the vibrations from the music recharged there sell phones. http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/06/sound-charged-shirt-from-orange-powers-cell-phones.php I will post you tube videos in the SLtv thread.

Israel already use piezoelectric sensors on some roads to harvest energy. japan uses piezoelectric sensors in the airport arrival gates to harvest energy. So it's being use already it's just that the public don't no anything about it.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    whar67 wrote: »
    1. Pyramids do nothing to collect electricity.

actually they do. It had to do with underground water flowing beneath it. Flowing water creates static/energy. The pyramids were power plants.... as well as virtually-indestructible tombs of knowledge.

For obvious reasons, the pyramids no longer generate power due to water no longer being there. But even people that go into the caverns within claim they can kind of feel what seems like remnants of energy flowing through there.
  • toomy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    tree-generator.png

Piezoelectric Tree to Convert Wind Energy to Electric Power
    Since entering the lexicon of green technology the term piezoelectricity seems to come up in almost every other article that we upload here. What we are about to tell you now is a technology that uses the concept of piezoelectricity to build an artificial tree that can harvest wind energy to produce electricity!

How?
    Synthetic piezoelectric leaves are connected to a stem and these leaves flap in the wind like an oscillating flag. The device is then able to convert the energy in wind into electric power while remaining light, low-cost, and easily scaled.

However…
    Because of the weak ‘piezoelectric strain coefficient’ of PVDF, the power generated was just about 100 pW (pico watt), unable to light even a common LED.

So…
    The researchers attached a piece of plastic film to the end of the leaf along the direction of air flow, which increased the amount of power generated by about 100 times! A series of experiments were also conducted using attachments of various shape, area, density and flexibility of plastic and polymer film to produce different results in the level of power.

So who are these researchers?
    Scientists at Cornell University, New York, USA.

Why bother?
    As a simple, robust, and easily scaled device, this ‘piezo-tree’ would serve as an effective and unique power generator in a variety of environments. For practical application the researchers hope to build plant-like devices with hundreds or thousands of piezo-leaves!

http://www.environmentteam.com/2010/02/06/piezoelectric-tree-to-produce-electricity-from-wind-energy/
  • whar67
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Picowatt = 1 trillionth of a watt

10,000 Picowatt = 1/10,000,000 of 1 watt

In other words 30,000,000 of those leaves would run a toaster. That would take ~90,000 of those trees.
  • toomy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The piezoelectric dance floor.

Posted by m1k3y on October 26th, 2008 in entertainment, future friendly, tech
    Wolven made a very good point in his comment on the Walking Power Plant post the other day; “Implementation needs to be reversed: under the sidewalk, retaining energy with Every Step.”.

Club Watt, in Rottderdam has done exactly that. These disco kids are generating the power for their own entertainment through dancing

It takes advantage of the piezoelectric effect: certain materials, when squeezed, develop a charge and produce electricity. When people are dancing, the sustainable dance floor yields by about 1 centimeter — less than half an inch — compressing cells containing piezoelectric material underneath.

http://grinding.be/2008/10/26/the-piezoelectric-dance-floor/

British engineers have built a generator powered by footsteps. Bury the contraption under the floor of a building and it turns tiny pressure changes into usable energy (this guy’s good for a couple of watts). They say the crowds in the London Underground’s Victoria Station alone could power 6,500 light bulbs.

The idea is that the built environment is a living, breathing, moving thing. We can get energy from waves and wind, why not sidewalks? Here’s a taste:

David Webb, a structural engineer at the consultant Scott Wilson, which is in discussions with Network Rail and with retail firms to install the devices, said: “It’s just picking up on the fact that all structures move a bit. This technology says, okay, we can do something useful with that energy.”

In addition to floors, the technology could also be installed beneath railway lines and on road bridges to exploit the energy of passing trains and vehicles.

http://grinding.be/2008/06/10/power-walking-for-energy/
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Picowatt = 1 trillionth of a watt

10,000 Picowatt = 1/10,000,000 of 1 watt

In other words 30,000,000 of those leaves would run a toaster. That would take ~90,000 of those trees.
    lol .
  • toomy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Dickson_Piezoelectric_Generator

more piezoelectric application ideas...

Essentially, this patent pending idea consists of embedding shaped (round, square or rectangular) piezoceramics or layers of PVDF material, hereafter referred to as “piezoelectric cells", into sealed, rubber coated mats, which would then be linked together and placed on sea or lake beds at depth. The mats could be linked together via electric cable connections, and then spooled onto the wenches of cable laying ships for laying down a large array in oceans or lakes. The embedded piezoelectric cells are linked in series within the mats, so that the combined effect of all the electricity generated from the vibrating water pressure in the water column directly above the mats is harnessed and transmitted to shore via power cables on the sea or lake bed. Excellent locations would be areas of the oceans and lakes with relatively shallow, flat bottoms and with consistently high waves. This ensures a mobile water column and the requisite variable pressure required for the system to work. Candidates for placement of piezoelectric mat fields include most of the North Sea (conveniently located near major population centers), the Great Lakes (offshore near Chicago, Cleveland and Buffalo might prove ideal), the Georges Bank near Boston, Mass. and the Bahamas Banks near Miami, Florida (however, a deep ocean trench between Florida and the Bahamas might present problems for power cables transmitting the collected energy).
  • toomy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    piezoelectricity energy harvesting on trains.

Piezoelectric technology generates energy from pressure and stress on certain surfaces, and we’ve seen it harvest electricity from roads and dance floors to power lights and signs. Recently Israeli company Innowattech unveiled a new use for this versatile energy tech – they’re planning to install piezoelectric pads throughout the country’s railways to generate electricity

Read more: New Piezoelectric Railways Harvest Energy From Passing Trains | Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World

The company has previously used piezoelectric pads on Israeli highways, and now they’re using similar (albeit larger) devices on railways. Innowattech plans on substituting 32 standard railway pads with their own piezoelectric IPEG PADS, which are of a similar design. In addition to generating energy, the new IPEG pads can determine the size of the wheel that passes over them, as well as the speed and weight of the vehicle.

new-piezoelectric-railways-harvest-energy-from-passing-trains_rpZH2_5638.jpg

A prototype of the energy-generating system was installed last year by the Technion University and Israel Railways in order to show the benefits of the technology. The project discovered that a railway track with trafficked by 10 to 20 ten-car trains could produce as much as 120 kWh, which could be used to power infrastructural systems such as signs and lights. Any surplus energy would then be uploaded to the country’s power grid.

Read more: New Piezoelectric Railways Harvest Energy From Passing Trains | Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World

http://inhabitat.com/new-piezoelectric-railways-harvest-energy-from-passing-trains/

Innowattech2-Diagram.jpg
  • whar67
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The problem with these ideas is they produce trivial amounts of power. The rail idea states it produces 120 Kilowatt/hours per track. This is enough to run a house (in the US) for about 60 days. The article does not state the period of this power generation but typically it would be annually however even at daily this would only produce enough power to run 60 homes for the year. While these ideas certainly can help they are not a pathway to getting off coal power or other traditional means or power generation.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Just face it they used ancient alien tools, no other way around to explain it. AAT FTW!
  • toomy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Just face it they used ancient alien tools, no other way around to explain it. AAT FTW!

You're right they did use ancient aliens tools the Egyptians are said to have migrated from the planet Siruis.
  • toomy
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The problem with these ideas is they produce trivial amounts of power. The rail idea states it produces 120 Kilowatt/hours per track. This is enough to run a house (in the US) for about 60 days. The article does not state the period of this power generation but typically it would be annually however even at daily this would only produce enough power to run 60 homes for the year. While these ideas certainly can help they are not a pathway to getting off coal power or other traditional means or power generation.

Why so defensive? This is a new technology and will probably improve in the coming years. I think piezoelectricity would be a great tool for people who live off the grid in remote areas. People that walk long distances can power up their cell phones are maybe just have some energy souce in their homes. In Japan's airport that have been harvesting energy from their arrival gates using piezoelectric sensors for 2 years and now they have enough power saved up to run a ticket booth.

I think it would be cool to see how much power can be harvested if they put a sensor on the nose of commercial jets.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    toomy wrote: »
    You're right they did use ancient aliens tools the Egyptians are said to have migrated from the planet Siruis.

I thought it was a different planet? Can't think of it right now, but the technology is from the Annunaki?
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    there is no planet Sirius. there's a binary star system called Sirius, but it has no planets. stop getting all your info from ? youtube.