How Do You All Feel About American Patriotism and Nationalism?

Options
Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in The Social Lounge
Specifically when it's about 9/11 and/or the American military. I have to be honest and say that it's all getting pretty annoying to me, especially our blind patriotism towards "our troops". It's come to the point where if you say anything that isn't complimentary about a military servicemen, you get ? on and deemed unAmerican, which is ridiculous to me. I think that America expects its civilians to put our troops on a pedestal in the same way America expects civilians to put policemen on pedestals. This is the same line of thinking that allows for harsher sentences for crimes committed against cops compared to the same crimes committed against civilians. Murder a civilian, and the perp gets 25 years. But murder a cop and he gets death?

Listen, I love America and I respect our troops (as I respect anyone in this world), but let's not romanticize and generalize here. Let's be real. Different servicemen join the military for different reasons, ideologies, motivations, and rewards. They are not all patriotic jingoists (e.g. Pat Tillman). So we need to stop stereotyping them as such. Some people join the military for money, some love violence, some are gangbangers with plans to return to civilian life and teach their fellow gang members military training, some are traitors/defectors, and some are just bored?

So what happens when tragedy strikes and some servicemen die in a helicopter crash? The media deliberately picks the one guy (and forgets about the others) who was white, was an American boy, and had a pregnant wife so that they can cook up some fabricated story to shove down our throats. It's pretty damn condescending imo.

Veterans and active servicemen please drop your thoughts too.

Comments

• Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Not sure the race card need to be played here, but I do get what you are sayin. I do think there should be a level of respect for people in the military, police force, firefighters, etc. as they are the people who just could save your ass or your family in certain situations you aren't able to. There are good and bad people in ALL lines of work, even service. Not all service men are good people or have good intentions.
  • rapbizla
    rapbizla Members Posts: 86
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in patriotism and nationalism. There are bad people everywhere, but you only have your freedom to express your opinions here because someone fights for that freedom.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    rapbizla wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer in patriotism and nationalism. There are bad people everywhere, but you only have your freedom to express your opinions here because someone fights for that freedom.

they got freedom in other countries.. i dont see them fighting???

and i mean when the lawbooks are thicker then dictionaries are we really "free"??
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    CapitalB wrote: »
    they got freedom in other countries.. i dont see them fighting???

and i mean when the lawbooks are thicker then dictionaries are we really "free"??

wheres the logic behind this
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Basically all that patriotism stuff was/is to drown out anti-war voices, and as a propaganda mechanism it worked well
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    If you think you aren't 'truly free' then apparently you haven't lost your freedom or served in the military. IMO try leaving this country for a few years and find out how well off you really are. Try reading the constitution instead of them law books you won't ever understand.

u grew up in the town with two officers huh??
    sheriff and a deputy i bet..

the constitution?? hahaha yeh.. that was a good one..

come visit where i grew up so i can show u the "other" America..
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    It is pseudo patriotism and misguided.

A True patriot is one who does what is right for the country. The new age ? head patriot wants to support wrong over right as long as it benefits him or his group personally.

That is why these hypocrites can raise a clamor about freedoms being taken away at home and then hypocritically endorse a police, military state abroad for another group of people just because there government is doing it or they will benefit.

People are patriotic only to the degree that they can benefit or secure some benefit.

These fake ass rich and middle class patriots are the same dudes who use cheap labor and goods from third world countries and hire an "illegal crew of aliens" to do construction or landscaping.
  • Tha-Realist
    Tha-Realist Members Posts: 491
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Senseless patriotism annoys tha ? outta me.. That's all I gotta say.
  • Plutarch
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Madbeats wrote: »
    Not sure the race card need to be played here,

I'm guessing that you're referring to the minor point of my argument when I said that the media exploits white servicemen in the name of patriotism? But isn't that true? I don't like it, but it happens at least occasionally from time to time right? ESPN just did a small bit on a soldier (who happened to be white) who surprised his wife and family (the all American family with a husband, wife, and two kids) at a baseball game; they had thought that he was still overseas. Well, the ESPN anchors of course went into their patriotic mode. And when the soldier (I'm just assuming that he was from the army, I cant remember) was interviewed, do you know what he said? I forgot what he exactly said, but it was along the lines of "American pie this and good old American baseball that". Not hate, I'm just saying...
    Madbeats wrote: »
    but I do get what you are sayin. I do think there should be a level of respect for people in the military, police force, firefighters, etc. as they are the people who just could save your ass or your family in certain situations you aren't able to. There are good and bad people in ALL lines of work, even service. Not all service men are good people or have good intentions.

Agreed. Though I would say that respect should be given to the police, military, firefighters, etc not necessarily because they save you, but because, first of all, they are human beings and all human beings deserve some intial respect. Then second of all, because they have taken up an arguably selfless authoritative service to the people and they just might save your ass. And that goes for the good ones out there. I honestly can't fully respect a ? cop, a marine who kills civillians, or a corrupt politician even if they happen to take up a job that might save my ass.
  • Plutarch
    edited August 2011
    Options
    rapbizla wrote: »

I agree and disagree. I see your point but how do you feel about blind or extreme/radical patriotism and nationalism, especially when they lead to jingoism, imperialism, racism, xenophobia, etc?
  • Plutarch
    edited August 2011
    Options
    How come you can't understand that's how things work? Those who suffer and die aren't just the ones the media ignores they have families and they are real people

But I think that I do understand how that works. The problem is that I think it works in a fraudulent and ignorant way, and for that reason, it should be changed, right?
    .....true veterans know the difference and they honor them in ways I don't think you really understand?

Ok, that may be true. I may not understand that, simply because I do not have much experience regarding that. But it seems you do, so I would appreciate it if you'd enlightened me. I have a few veteran friends and I know you guys have been to hell and back, and I know I will never truly understand unless I am a veteran, but you can try to at least help me understand a little.

Veterans may respect our fallen troops in ways that the media fails too, but that doesnt change the fact that the media, like always, is still fraudulent.
    I don't need to wave the American flag and holler how great America is.....I just know things. FYI I've fought in two different fronts/conflicts during my Army days.

Yes, but a lot of peopel do feel that they need to wave the flag and holler. You don't, but others do, especially those who are ignorant.

I know it's nothing much, but as a civilian, I humbly pay my respects to you for your service in defending our country.
    CapitalB wrote: »
    come visit where i grew up so i can show u the "other" America..

^^^ he's making a pretty relevant point there though.

Though what you said was also relevant. Lots of people don't know how great America is as far as liberty and freedom go. Personally for me, there are somewhere between 0 and 5 other countries in the world where I would rather choose to live. Freedom is a rare luxury when you consider the whole world.
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options