The Most Overrated Wrestlers Of The Last Decade

Options
Already Home_17
Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in Off The Turn Buckle
according to....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/808112-wwe-kharma-and-the-22-most-overrated-wrestlers-of-the-last-decade#/articles/808112-wwe-kharma-and-the-22-most-overrated-wrestlers-of-the-last-decade

22. hhh

21. the undertaker

20. john cena

19. mr. kennedy

18. kharma

17. brock lesnar

16. zack ryder

15. shelton benjamin

14. the hardy boys

13. randy orton

12. daniel bryan

11. trish stratus

10. dolph ziggler

9. john morrison

8.kevin nash

7. jbl

6. hulk hogan

5. alberto del rio

4. kane

3. batista

2. bobby lashley

1. goldberg

Comments

• Already Home_17
    edited August 2011
    Options
    some of the writers reasons

hhh

Maybe a controversial pick, but for all the good we've seen from Triple H, there's been an equal amount of bad.

In the last 10 years, Triple H has been named the "Most Overrated" wrestler four times (2002-2004, 2009) by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. He's also been apart of the "Worst Feud of the Year" twice and the "Worst Worked Match of the Year" twice during that span.

There's no denying that The Game was at his peak around 2000-2001, but since then, he hasn't quite delivered the goods like you might expect from a 13-time World Champion.

I think that largely has to do with the fact that he's been a face since 2006, and his fan favorite character has been rather stale and boring.

Triple H's run with D-Generation X from 2006-2007 paled in comparison to the original DX, and his feuds with Randy Orton and John Cena were among the most drawn out, disappointing rivalries we've seen in the last several years.

undertaker

The Undertaker is one of the most polarizing figures in wrestling history and arguably the greatest big man that the business has ever seen.

But his recent greatness at Wrestlemania--four straight stellar matches, including two "Match of the Year" winners (2009, 2010)--and "The Streak" have overshadowed the fact that the Deadman's almost never around anymore.

I get that his body has taken a beating and the rest is needed, but for the past several years, The Undertaker has only been appeared sparingly on WWE TV. And he hasn't been all that great when it isn't Wrestlemania time.

He's had a couple of very good feuds with Edge, Shawn Michaels and Batista (all Wrestlemania feuds), but also had plenty of stinkers with guys like Kane, Mark Henry, CM Punk and The Big Show.

Undoubtedly, The Undertaker can go in the ring given the right opponent, but I'm not sure that his legacy would be what it is without Wrestlemania.

john cena

All of the "John Cena can't wrestle" talk has to end, because he's always put on quality matches and has even transcended into greatness in his feud with CM Punk.

That being said, I can't even fathom the fact that he's already an 11-time World champion when someone like Chris Jericho only won six.

It's not that I hate Cena like many of us do. I actually think Cena's pretty close to the total package--good look, charismatic, great mic skills and underrated wrestling ability.

But since dropping the "Doctor of Thuganomics" gimmick, Cena has become a stale, corny and predictable wrestler who's consistently shoved down our throats and is in the title scene 90 percent of the year.

For the most part--let me stress that--his matches are too formulaic as well, with "Super Cena" suddenly taking charge and demolishing his opponent in about 12 seconds.

It can be said that it's the WWE's fault that Cena is booked look like this, and thus, has become overrated. But hey, he still is.

shelton benjamin

Shelton Benjamin is the ultimate example of a guy who was so underrated that he became overrated.

Admittedly, I don't think Benjamin ever got the fair shot he deserved in the WWE, as he was clearly a phenomenal athlete who consistently delivered when the spotlight was on him (like in the Money in the Bank matches at Wrestlemania).

But when you win three consecutive Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards as the "Most Underrated Wrestler," how can you become anything but overrated?

That's exactly what happened to Benjamin, who became the victim of the WWE curse: A guy who's great in the ring but not great on the mic won't get as far as someone with the opposite traits.

Even when Benjamin became the Gold Standard, he was lacking a bit in the charisma and promo departments, and I never though he should be a huge star until he improved in those areas.
  • Already Home_17
    edited August 2011
    Options
    randy orton

I chose that picture of Randy Orton for a reason: He looks very robotic.

It pretty much sums up Orton's character, which, although it works for him, is very stiff. From his wrestling to his promos, everything that Orton does makes me want to say, "Hey, pal. Just loosen up a bit."

I'm not anti-Orton--in fact, I'm an Orton fan--but he's about as monotonous as they come for a main event talent.

The nine-time World Champion--yeah, nine reigns so far is absolutely ridiculous--is a better wrestler than people give him credit for, but there's been no real change to his character since he turned face in early 2010.

Orton's mannerisms and actions are still exactly the same, and it amazes me how wrestling fans don't hate on Orton like they hate on John Cena, when Orton's matches (that aren't against Christian) have become just as formulaic as Mr. Fruity Pebbles' since his face turn.

daniel bryan

Before you jump through your computer screen and try to punch me in the face, let me start off by saying this: Daniel Bryan is arguably the best pure wrestler on the planet.

OK, now that I've eased the tension a little bit, here's my next point: None of what he did prior to his WWE run means anything at this point.

As much as I hate to agree with Michael Cole, what Bryan's accomplished throughout his career hasn't happened on the biggest stage in wrestling. It hasn't happened in the WWE.

Bryan's a newbie when it comes to the WWE, and he's not going to be booked like a top star in the company until he's proven that he is one.

That doesn't mean just in the ring, where we know Bryan will deliver. It means on the mic as well.

So, as a Bryan fan, let's hope that he can step up his game in all areas (and be given the chance to do so), or he'll just be another guy that didn't live up to expectations in the WWE.

del rio

Alberto Del Rio is a pretty good talker (despite the accent problems), he oozes charisma and he's proven to be an above average in-ring worker in a short time in the WWE.

But, if you thought Sheamus and Brock Lesnar's pushes were too fast, then what can you possibly think about Del Rio?

In just over a year in the company, Del Rio's won the Royal Rumble, the Money in the Bank ladder match and the Undisputed WWE Championship.

It's rare for a wrestler to rack up those accomplishments in a career, much less a 12-month span. And I don't think it should have happened.

I get that the WWE is in the midst of creating new stars, but--aside from his personal ring announcer, Ricardo Rodriguez--there's nothing particularly unique about Del Rio.

I can see why he's compared to JBL, as the similarities are obvious. The only problem is, JBL spent a long time in the WWE before making his way to the top, while Del Rio got there too quickly.

kane

Masked Kane equaled greatness. Unmasked Kane equals pure and utter disappointment.

When Kane removed his mask in June 2003, it took away the mystique of the Kane character and killed a lot of the momentum he had built up throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s.

He's had his moments since the unmasking,but if you don't believe that he's been pretty bad over the last decade or so, then look at Kane's "accomplishments" ( courtesy of Wikipedia):

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic (2004) -- Impregnating Lita

Most Overrated (2010)

Worst Feud of the Year (2002)

Worst Feud of the Year (2003)

Worst Feud of the Year (2004)

Worst Feud of the Year (2007)

Worst Feud of the Year (2008)

Worst Feud of the Year (2010)

Worst Worked Match of the Year (2001)

Of course, you can blame the creative team for a lot of this. But I'd also put the blame on the Kane character, which has largely been an epic fail since the days of the Attitude Era.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    sescoops has kevin nash as the most overrated wrestler of all time followed by HHH... I need to find that link...
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    what the hell is zack ryder doing on that list
  • Already Home_17
    edited August 2011
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »
    what the hell is zack ryder doing on that list

"Zack Ryder's gotten over with the WWE fans largely on his own, and he should be commended for that.

But I don't think I can ever recall seeing a guy with so little TV exposure get so much love from wrestling fans on the Internet.

Yeah, I've watched Ryder's YouTube series, and yeah, the dude's rather charismatic and funny. However, the overwhelming support he gets from fans is a little ridiculous.

There are "We Want Ryder" signs in the crowd on Raw and articles all over the Internet praising the guy (I like the guy, too). Yet, he's accomplished little to nothing in the WWE.

Aside from a few very good matches on ECW and Superstars, there are two things on Ryder's WWE resume: a run as one half of the Major Brothers and his role as an Edgehead.

That's it."
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    "Zack Ryder's gotten over with the WWE fans largely on his own, and he should be commended for that.

But I don't think I can ever recall seeing a guy with so little TV exposure get so much love from wrestling fans on the Internet.

Yeah, I've watched Ryder's YouTube series, and yeah, the dude's rather charismatic and funny. However, the overwhelming support he gets from fans is a little ridiculous.

There are "We Want Ryder" signs in the crowd on Raw and articles all over the Internet praising the guy (I like the guy, too). Yet, he's accomplished little to nothing in the WWE.

Aside from a few very good matches on ECW and Superstars, there are two things on Ryder's WWE resume: a run as one half of the Major Brothers and his role as an Edgehead.

That's it."

that makes no sense because fans like him hes overrated, no one is saying hes the best
  • Already Home_17
    edited August 2011
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »
    that makes no sense because fans like him hes overrated, no one is saying hes the best

I agree. a lot of this guys reasons are laughable
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I co sign the sentiment about Zach Ryder.. The Hardyz for all they've done aren't overrated either.. neitherIs Brock.. IN FACT BROCK IS UNDERRATED... ADR is a lil overrated but WWE got the right guy.. if anything Miz is overrated as hell, workrate/ in ring wise. HHH should be higher than Taker.. in fact why is Taker even overrated.. da ? ?
    And Kharma is overrated? really? Let me find my link bro...
  • Already Home_17
    edited August 2011
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    I co sign the sentiment about Zach Ryder.. The Hardyz for all they've done aren't overrated either.. neitherIs Brock.. IN FACT BROCK IS UNDERRATED... ADR is a lil overrated but WWE got the right guy.. if anything Miz is overrated as hell, workrate/ in ring wise. HHH should be higher than Taker.. in fact why is Taker even overrated.. da ? ?
    And Kharma is overrated? really? Let me find my link bro...

his matches last year against kane were pretty bad
  • a-grave247
    a-grave247 Members Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    del rio should be number 1 i can't stand him!!The push he's getting is ridiculous! Taker shouln't be anywhere near that list
  • a-grave247
    edited August 2011
    Options
    agreed on kane also.He is boring to watch
  • m. inferno
    m. inferno Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Del Rio is the man....i dnt get the hate
  • a-grave247
    edited August 2011
    Options
    m. inferno wrote: »
    Del Rio is the man....i dnt get the hate

i don't see it.He hasn't had any classic matches and he's world champ.His promos feel repetitive and he feels like a low rent jbl to me.In the ring R Truth and john morrison give off better matches but they are on constant losing streaks
  • darkstarr8
    darkstarr8 Members Posts: 455
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Where's Sting? If anyone should on the list it's him. No way in hell Taker should be on the list.
  • a-grave247
    edited August 2011
    Options
    darkstarr8 wrote: »
    Where's Sting? If anyone should on the list it's him. No way in hell Taker should be on the list.

co sign about taker
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    a-grave247 wrote: »
    del rio should be number 1 i can't stand him!!The push he's getting is ridiculous! Taker shouln't be anywhere near that list

Yes Taker should, he only has a great match 1 night of the year and that's Wrestlemania, the rest of the time he is horrible.
  • a-grave247
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yes Taker should, he only has a great match 1 night of the year and that's Wrestlemania, the rest of the time he is horrible.

the man is almost 50 and he's ten times better than most in the locker room. To pull off the best matches of the night at wrestlemania is some feat.He's got longevity, and isn't out staying his welcome like flair and hogan.Look at the classic matches he's got boiler room brawls,buried alive,hell in a cells,the matches wtih shawn michals come on.What big man can compete with taker
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    this list is ? horrible...

even tho triple h is on it,

UNDERTAKER!!

SHELTON BENJAMIN!!

HARDYS!!

gtfoh..
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Sting and del rio dont belong here either smh..
  • darkstarr8
    darkstarr8 Members Posts: 455
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ^^^ Sting's been pretty bad the last decade. punch, chop, stinger splash, scorpion death drop, scorpion death lock, end match.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    i'm just mad how sting wsa the crow then switched up to legder's joker...
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    how the ? is taker on that list, he started last decade as the american badass and mid decade he went back to bein the dead man as was still doing his thing he basically started slowing down prob around 07/08
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I said it before RVD is the most overrated wrestler