What is the true purpose of Religion?

Options
Hyde Parke
Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Is it ultimately to help man cope with mortality?

What do you think??

Comments

• And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    The first form of forced government.
    Get down or lay down! Err get down or go down.

Isn't that what parents do?

My opinion is religion as played out in the human beings life and in creation is designed to regulate and guide the affairs of man so he can develop his faculties and abilities while making continual progress while not destroying himself in the process.

The government forces religion on you everyday.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited April 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Isn't that what parents do?

My opinion is religion as played out in the human beings life and in creation is designed to regulate and guide the affairs of man so he can develop his faculties and abilities while making continual progress while not destroying himself in the process.

The government forces religion on you everyday.

thats interesting, do you think its necessary for man to be guided/governed in order to progress?
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    thats interesting, do you think its necessary for man to be guided/governed in order to progress?

Do you know any undisciplined, unprincipled person who is?

Even criminal organizations have governance and regulations.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Religion is suppose to help give an answer to the questions we have in life: Why are we here? What is right and wrong? What's wrong with the world and what can be done about it? Unfortunately, religion is being used as a means to oppress and control those who's answers to these question are not "better".
  • Hyde Parke
    edited April 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Do you know any undisciplined, unprincipled person who is?

Even criminal organizations have governance and regulations.

You are right, however that doesnt necessarily guarantee progress. Having rules and regulations can and often do hinder progress when done incorrectly. We bear witness to this everyday.
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    simple, beliefs...man kind needs something to believe in. If not religion then i guarantee you it would be something else.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    IMO

"True Purpose of Religion" = misleading men from the true Word of ? .
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited April 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    IMO

"True Purpose of Religion" = misleading men from the true Word of ? .

This, and religions were started as a form of government hence everyone trying to make the next part of their religion. Religion was made so people abided to a set of rules they were literally scared to death to break. Even today its clear as ever that religion is a form of forced government.
  • Hyde Parke
    edited April 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    simple, beliefs...man kind needs something to believe in. If not religion then i guarantee you it would be something else.

If thats the way you truly see it, then why do you attempt to discredit beliefs that you dont agree with?
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    If thats the way you truly see it, then why do you attempt to discredit beliefs that you dont agree with?

you take the ic too seriously...i could care less about anyone elses beliefs. learn to recognize a trolling thread
  • Hyde Parke
    edited April 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    you take the ic too seriously...i could care less about anyone elses beliefs. learn to recognize a trolling thread

Ok, so you're only serious until someone calls you out on your illogical thinking. Got it.

a self admitted troll....smh