Fair or Foul: Jerry Richardson tells Cam Newton: No tats, no piercings

Options
Darius
Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
Jerry Richardson to Cam Newton: No tattoos, no*piercings

Posted by Mike Florio on August 24, 2011, 4:54 AM EDT

AP
Appearing as guests on PBS’s Charlie Rose (thanks for the head’s up, SportsBusiness Daily), Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Panthers owner Jerry Richardson talked about a variety of issues.* I’ll be posting some of the most interesting aspects of their discussion right here.

The first one relates to the pre-draft meeting between Richardson and quarterback Cam Newton.* Though the topic was addressed by Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer in April, it’s worth repeating.

Richardson, who said that Newton “was dressed perfectly” for their meeting, was blunt.* “I said, ‘Do you have any tattoos?’” Richardson told Rose.* “He said, ‘No, sir.* I don’t have any.’* I said, ‘Do you have any piercings?’* He said, ‘No, sir.* I don’t have any.’* I said, ‘We want to keep it that way.’ . . . .

“We want to keep no tattoos, no piercings, and I think you’ve got a very nice haircut.”

Interjected the host:* “You sound like a Lombardi.”

Said Richardson, “No, I just sound reasonable to me.”

The fact is that, over the years, Richardson has drafted and signed plenty of players who have tattoos and piercings, including tight end Jeremy Shockey.* Apparently, Richardson is willing to tolerate those things when it comes to men who won’t become the face of the franchise.* For someone like Newton, whom Richardson said has “athletic ability unlike anything that I have seen in quite a few years,” Richardson presumably wants him to do nothing that would potentially alienate the mainstream paying customers.

Regardless of the motivation, there’s something troubling about Richardson’s position.* Though Newton can’t be disciplined for getting a tattoo or a piercing or multiple of either, Richardson has made his wishes clear — and he’d likely be unhappy if Newton defies them.

But Richardson isn’t Newton’s father.* Newton is a grown man, and he can do whatever he wants by way of decorating his body with ink or ice, or by growing his hair as long as he pleases.* The notion that teams would try to make players into non-threatening billboards seems more than a little heavy-handed, even if it’s done in the name of “growing the pie” to the benefit of teams and players alike.

/

I think it's similar to what the Yankees do, in terms of keeping a certain appearance, but many Panthers have tats so I does seem like he is singling Cam out, but then again, this is the face of the team and The owner has the right to suggest, not demand, that a player present himself a certain way

Comments

• GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Straight ? ... but whatever there are bigger problems in the world
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ? double standard, who cares if he's the qb.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Smh @ 'Matt' co-signing...smh

It still amazes me people let his gimic ride this long...
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    reasonable to me, the yankees have more rules then that no one complains about that
  • Darius
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Is it ok for the yanks to do it?

And Richardson doesn't have the right to.Legally. Y'all need to realize that. Jerry knows he can't enforce that kind of thing
  • Darius
    edited August 2011
    Options
    How did I cosign? I said I understand Richardsons POV b/c I know the type of owner he is and I know the fanbase
    He's trying to appeal to. BUT I ALSO SAID HE SEEMED BE SINGLING OUT CAM. And that I don't agree with
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If it ain't in the contract....? 'em.
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

Basically...
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    LOL at him not telling Jimmy Clausen that last year.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Jerry Richardson is an old school conservative ? ... man was grade ? during the labor negotiations.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • pimped_out_red
    pimped_out_red Members Posts: 894 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yo on da real this needs to be said: Im sorry NFL, but just like the NBA, yall next up for the revolution....i understand they want to cater to those who invest the most in the league, but there is a reason they dont get money from other people, and stupid things like this is why...change is coming, and this is just another set back...but whatever, ill pay for a season ticket when they stop playing that weak azz country music after panthers score a touchdown..
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    they don't want thugs on the team???
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Personally I have no tats. It just wasn't my thing. But the underlying racism is that Cam we you to be our clean cut poster child black QB. But truthfully in the real world u can't be tatted like Wiz or Jr Smith and expect to be taken serious.
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    It rubs me the wrong way when they try to impose on a person's freedom to do what they want with their body, but keeping it real, Jerry is probably saying the same thing that every owner or PR person tells a franchise player whose got that star making ability. If Cam Newton trying to be that uber-level cross over star, this is probably the most logical way. Its sad thats the way the world works tho
  • Darius
    edited August 2011
    Options
    bignorm73 wrote: »

It was too late, Clausen had already got a ? stamp
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    John Beck has no tats...
  • Darius
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I don't think its ok for any professional sports team to ask that of a player regardless if you supposed to be the face of the Franchise or not. If Richardson don't expect that of ALL of his players then he shouldn't ask Cam to not get tattoos. Its not like these players are working in a clean cut office enviroment. Its a double standard no matter what kind of reasoning you give for it. And just cuz he asked Cam instead of forcing him don't make it right either its just a loophole so he can't get sued for discrimination.

So say a QB like Jeremiah Masoli (who is Hawaiian) was good enough to be the face of the Panthers franchise and didn't have any tattoos yet. Is it right for Richardson to ask him not to get a tattoo if he wanted a traditional hawaiian tattoo that represents his culture?

You don't have to interrogate me here. I agree with you. I see where Jerry is coming from, but I don't think it's really fair to Cam
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    It's racist. Period.

Whats the pitcher's name from the SF Giants? w/ the beard

He looks like a complete fool, but it's met w/ amusement...black athletes w/ dreads (did he really say he has a nice haircut? smh), tats, etc are met w/ fear

If this was Corporate America...cool.. But this is the NFL...they arent hired to give presentations to prosepctive clients
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I understand where he was coming from. He wasnt telling Cam Newton he couldnt, just that he would prefer he didn't since he is going to be the face of the franchise. He just wants Cam and the team to have a clean cut image.
  • Darius
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Damn Andrew Luck should have Mike Tyson'd his face last year, then he could have come on out into the draft
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    bignorm73 wrote: »

CS^^^^^^.........
  • CJVisuals
    CJVisuals Members Posts: 350
    edited August 2011
    Options
    This is racist and ignorant. An NFL contract doesn't give them a right to invade your personal life. As a QB his job is to be a great player and teammate - that's it. What he decides to do or not do regarding tattoos, hair, free time, etc. isn't in any way something Jerry Richardson has any right to comment on, let alone decide. These sports "owners" never cease to amaze me.
  • Darius
    edited August 2011
    Options
    So then if this is racist and the owner should have no say so in the appearance of his
    Players, why aren't you mad at Cam for 'coonin and yes ? 'n his boss' obvious racist demands?
This discussion has been closed.