if you're a certain team with a qb intact and land the 1 pick do you draft luck?

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
edited August 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
say for example a team like the giants land the number 1 pick are you taking luck? if you're in that situation what would you do?

Comments

• ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    take him and trade him to a team that needs him for a key component...
  • LurkdogAchilles
    LurkdogAchilles Members Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    only thing about that is to get the 1st pick you gotta have like the worst record. what teams that are set at QB could end up goin 0-16 or 2-14?
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Nah...

Say if the Rams have a Bad year , they JUST recently Drafted Sam Bradford , no way in hell would you or should you draft another QB in a situation like that , not after you just dumped 70+ Million on someone like Sam Bradford ..

same with a team like the BUCS , pretty much teams that have the potential to make noise, but also the potential not yet live up to it and can have a bad year, they got Josh freeman so no way would u take Luck

your QB would have to be pretty much backup material for you to take a QB that high or unless you have plans on trading your current QB

but nah i wouldnt just draft one for the sake of it or just cuz he's "The highest on the board" , you can have a QB in place but ya other positions may be whats really suffering so you need to build on that ..
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Teams with good quarterback play don't generally go 2-14 or 3-13.
  • ICame4Pussy
    ICame4Pussy Members Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Trade the pick for more picks
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited August 2011
    Options
    only thing about that is to get the 1st pick you gotta have like the worst record. what teams that are set at QB could end up goin 0-16 or 2-14?
    Teams with good quarterback play don't generally go 2-14 or 3-13.

True and True but it can be a situation like last year where a team has a QB in place but may get hurt early in the year and be out for the year and your team ends up with a ? record

Lions and Dallas were examples ....
  • radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    what if your "in tact" QB goes down for the whole year and then u go 2-14 or 3-13?? would u take him then?
  • radaman
    edited August 2011
    Options
    damn, didnt read KOP's last post
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    say for example a team like the giants land the number 1 pick are you taking luck? if you're in that situation what would you do?

There is no guarantee he will be "good or great" at the pro-level.

But if for some unforeseen reason Chicago ends up with the #1 pick, they should get either a linebacker, wide receiver, or o-lineman.
  • radaman
    edited August 2011
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    There is no guarantee he will be "good or great" at the pro-level.

But if for some unforeseen reason Chicago ends up with the #1 pick, they should get either a linebacker, wide receiver, or o-lineman.

he'll be at least good son... possibly great.... but you're right, no guarantee
  • LurkdogAchilles
    edited August 2011
    Options
    True and True but it can be a situation like last year where a team has a QB in place but may get hurt early in the year and be out for the year and your team ends up with a ? record

Lions and Dallas were examples ....

ehhh that's tough. i guess it depends on the injury. i would say no cuz you're gonna have a Tebow situation when the guy gets healthy. and for a team like dallas, they could prolly get more picks and somebody to help in the secondary which they need more than another QB...
  • LurkdogAchilles
    edited August 2011
    Options
    dallas is my team too, you got me thinkin...
    i think this is a put up or get out year for Romo. if he sucks, or goes down again.... F it, i'd take Luck
  • #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    radaman wrote: »
    what if your "in tact" QB goes down for the whole year and then u go 2-14 or 3-13?? would u take him then?

That's better because no team with a very good QB gonna lose that many games. I would say if I was the Colts or a team with an aging QB, yes. But no if I have someone like Matt Ryan or one of those guys.
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If you're Dallas, then yes, you take Luck because if Dallas goes 2-14 or even 5-11 , the Tony Romo experiment has failed
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Trade the pick for more picks and players to fill needs.. especially with the new rookie wage scale teams are more comfortable trading up because they don't have to invest so much money into an unproven commodity. Now they can deal parts of their team and get the player they covet.

But I really don't think the worse teams this season will be one who took an injury to their now starting qb because even then those teams still have more talent around the qb to be better than the teams who didn't have one to begin with. For the most part..
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

U Bugging the Giants Schedule is set up for them to start the season 7-2 easy ain no way they getting anywhere close to the number 1 pick (unless Eli is lost for the year).
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2011
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    U Bugging the Giants Schedule is set up for them to start the season 7-2 easy ain no way they getting anywhere close to the number 1 pick (unless Eli is lost for the year).

I didn't mean it literally it was just an example
  • nujerz84
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I didn't mean it literally it was just an example

Well by the chance the get the number one pick they would probrably pick the next best player available or trade the pick for more picks...
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    You take Luck, especially since he will more than likely be head and shoulders above the rest of the field (barring an absolutely horrible college year)

Unless you have a very specific position need and there is an absolutely great option at that position. Kinda like the Mario Williams/Reggie Bush draft.

Just because he's the #1 pick doesn't mean he has to start immediately. You can raise him up a la aaron rodgers.
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If the jets are in that position what should they do?
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If my qb is older than 30 I'm drafting him and doing what GB did with Rodgers. Otherwise I'm drafting him to trade or just trade the pick
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    If the jets are in that position what should they do?

I don't know too much about college players coming out this year, but if there is a BEAST RB (Ap status) or WR (CJohnson status) coming out, they should trade down a few spots and get him.

Sanchez is serviceable.
  • nujerz84
    edited August 2011
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    I don't know too much about college players coming out this year, but if there is a BEAST RB (Ap status) or WR (CJohnson status) coming out, they should trade down a few spots and get him.

Sanchez is serviceable.

Blackmon from Oklahoma St or Ryan Broyles from Oklahoma....as for RB Trent Richardson...
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited August 2011
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Blackmon from Oklahoma St or Ryan Broyles from Oklahoma....as for RB Trent Richardson...

Ryan Broyles is a really good College WR but he's def. not worth trading up for as if he would be in the class of a Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson

i' do think he'll be a really solid pro cuz he runs great routes and has good hands but he's not someone really i would jump up in the draft for , kind of one of those players if he falls to you then cool if not then oh well....
  • 5th Letter
    edited August 2011
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »

Sanchez is serviceable.

i can agree with this