Curtis Granderson = MVP, hands down

Options
arbitration
arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
But of course, it will go to Jacoby Ellsbury or some ? like that.

Comments

• Straight Cash Homie
    Straight Cash Homie Members Posts: 66
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Did someone forget to tell me that Jose Bautista retired? He's the best player in baseball and should be the MVP.
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Ellsbury>>>>>>
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Did someone forget to tell me that Jose Bautista retired? He's the best player in baseball and should be the MVP.

Toronto is no where near the playoffs so Bautista shouldn't get it. It's even talk that Justin Verlander should get it but thats ? . Granderson should get it but since the Yankees have a stacked lineup he wont
  • kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Toronto is no where near the playoffs so Bautista shouldn't get it. It's even talk that Justin Verlander should get it but thats ? . Granderson should get it but since the Yankees have a stacked lineup he wont

Why?

Dude been beastin and without him that team would be average at best
  • Chi-Town Bully
    edited August 2011
    Options
    kAjUn wrote: »
    Why?

Dude been beastin and without him that team would be average at best

The CY Young is the pitchers MVP, a pitcher shouldnt be considered over an everyday player that's having a great season
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Adrian Gonzalez is still the AL MVP, as much as it pains me to say that.

edit: Chitown, is there any way you'd consider a pitcher for the MVP award? Or regardless of the season the pitcher has, its Cy Young or nothing?
  • Chi-Town Bully
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Adrian Gonzalez is still the AL MVP, as much as it pains me to say that.

edit: Chitown, is there any way you'd consider a pitcher for the MVP award? Or regardless of the season the pitcher has, its Cy Young or nothing?

I dont see them as MVP's, at the most they play in about 40 games of a season to me that's not enough to be considered when its another 120 games that they dont play
  • deeroc22
    deeroc22 Members Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Bautista will prolly win cause Adrian G & Elsbury will take votes from eachother....And the yankees lineup will take votes from Granderson..the Yanks have only had 1 MVP in like the last 25yrs and that was AROD a few yrs back...
  • kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The CY Young is the pitchers MVP, a pitcher shouldnt be considered over an everyday player that's having a great season

I agree with that to a certain extent

But I think you can bend the criteria some if the dude is ballin out of his mind

He's on pace to win 20 games by sep.

? ain't been done since Roger Clemens which speaks loudly

I'm not saying he is the mvp I'm just saying it he should be considered
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    yea I can understand that point about not choosing a pitcher for MVP, I would consider a pitcher ONLY if he had some kinda historic year and there wasnt a clear choice for a position player. But real ? Bautista isn't even gonna be in the top 3 for AL MVP...it'll be Adrian Gonzalez, Curtis Granderson and either Ellsbury or Verlander as the 3rd.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ? Tigers smh, wtf would you get rid of him?
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ? Tigers smh, wtf would you get rid of him?

From what I understand, Yanks believed that his swing was tailor-made for their new ballpark. Tigers probably thought they would be overpaying for him; Granderson was nice, but nowhere near what he's become now.

Granderson is one of the best signings in baseball in the past decade
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    it will come down to the Wire as far as the MVP

and No a pitcher should not win the MVP thats why they got the ? ' CY Young ..you already got your own award, u make 30+ starts a year out of a 162 games a year, so you miss out on 130 games , ? no take ya Cy Young and go have a seat.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Colin Cowherd made an excellent argument for Verlander being MVP

One point was:

Only player whose team goes from... with him = hosting a playoff team, to without him = 3rd in the division.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    no one has made any points on why granderson shouldnt be mvp..... he is leading his team in homers and rbis.... no one from Boston should get it if NY beats them out in the East.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    hands down, and im a sox fan
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    htowntx wrote: »
    Ellsbury>>>>>>

that's what i'm saying...Ellsbury and Adrian got their hand in that cookie jar as well, and sorry i know they dont look at pitchers for MVP but Verlander needs to be looked at too.
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    no one has made any points on why granderson shouldnt be mvp..... he is leading his team in homers and rbis.... no one from Boston should get it if NY beats them out in the East.

yanks is like 2-10(unsure) verses the sox, and thier ace(CC) hasnt beaten them all season....the only way the yanks taken the division is if another team takes the sox out, cause clearly the yanks aint doing it.

it will come down to the Wire as far as the MVP

and No a pitcher should not win the MVP thats why they got the ? ' CY Young ..you already got your own award, u make 30+ starts a year out of a 162 games a year, so you miss out on 130 games , ? no take ya Cy Young and go have a seat.

that's the part of baseball i dont like..."these special rules" i mean it does make sense if you looking at it mathematically, but there's *insert how many wins verlander has* there, that's keeping the tigers relevant, ish i think it was 2000, or 2001 katz were still screaming that pedro should of won MVP that year.
  • brocktonpatriot
    brocktonpatriot Members Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    (Sox fan) I'd vote for Verlander because as great as Gonzo, Ellsbury, and Granderson have been, they haven't been as dominant and or as impactful to their team's current standing. Although their production is what drive their offensives, Boston and NY have stacked lineups (Pedoria, Big Papi, Youk, Cano, Tex) that would recover nicely if they had to deal with an absence of period of time for any one of the candidates. If Detroit lost Verlander, Det would be 3rd in a bad division.

As any Sox fan knows, although he isnt putting up these stats, Pedro in 99 was the most dominant pitcher, put up the most dominate stats in the height of the steroid era (23-4, 2.07 era, 313 Ks, over 200 innings, and had old-ass past-his-prime Bret Saberhagen as the number 2 pitcher) but lost the MVP to Pudge Rodriquez, who put up amazing numbers at the catching position (35/113/.332/Gold Glove) but had Juan Gonzalez (39/128/.326) and Rafael Palmerio (47/148/.324) in his lineup.

If 99 Pedro deserves it, then this year, Verlander should get it....
  • brocktonpatriot
    brocktonpatriot Members Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I just don't understand in a sport where the value of an ace far exceeds the value of a hitter, where we always are to believe good pitching beats good hitting everytime, how just because they have their own award and play only every 5th day, the suddenly pitcher isn't as valuable as the hitter?