NCAA need to stop ? and pay these damn kids.

Options
Idi Amin Dada
Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
edited August 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
SMH at ANYONE looking me in my face and telling me that a 60K a year education is fair pay for the amount of money these kids puttin' in these ? ' pockets.

Give 'em some ? ' money, so you won't have to waste money on investigations.

Comments

• coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Lol.

You're acting like every athletic department in Div I is super rich.

The education is justified enough. If the kids are good enough, they become multimillionaires in the NFL.

If not, they can make money with a job, with the FREE education they earned.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    Lol.

You're acting like every athletic department in Div I is super rich.

The education is justified enough. If the kids are good enough, they become multimillionaires in the NFL.

If not, they can make money with a job, with the FREE education they earned.

I think 10% of all profits should be split among all players in all D1 sports.
  • coop9889
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I think 10% of all profits should be split among all players in all D1 sports.

These kids are already paid in the form of scholarships.

How can you justify paying the women's squash team like the mens college football team

Football and basketball are the only sports profitable for a university in most cases.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    70% of these kids don't even have the grades to get in in the schools anyway

kids use the schools and the schools use kids
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    LOL @ Vanderbilt, Stanford, Duke, GA Tech, Northwestern and Cal paying someone with a 2.7 GPA to come to their school.

They should be happy to be able put that on their resume. If they took away sports from these colleges, how many people do you think would stop going there? None!!!!! Why in the hell would I pay someone to go to my school? Almost 75% of these schools athletic department are underwater trying to compete now. GA Tech just broke ground on a indoor football facility and they are now rebuilding there basketball arena. All Private donations. Those sports teams are for the fans and boosters. The real money comes from intellectual property rights, copyrights and patents. These schools making millions of dollars off of these grad school inventors and scientist, while Uconn lost almost a million dollars from being accepted to a bowl game!
  • coop9889
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Exactly.

So yeah... the underlying theme of this thread, is they shouldn't be paid.

For OBVIOUS reasons.

/thread
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    No they need to stop trippin on a player being able to make money on their name..

If a booster wanna blow money on a team/player he should be able to..

You will never be able to tell a student who has nothing that he shouldnt take some extra cash as a gift..
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    No they need to stop trippin on a player being able to make money on their name..

If a booster wanna blow money on a team/player he should be able to..

You will never be able to tell a student who has nothing that he shouldnt take some extra cash as a gift..

/close thread
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    SMH at ANYONE looking me in my face and telling me that a 60K a year education is fair pay for the amount of money these kids puttin' in these ? ' pockets.

Give 'em some ? ' money, so you won't have to waste money on investigations.

you actually think these dudes aren't being paid?
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    These kids are already paid in the form of scholarships.

How can you justify paying the women's squash team like the mens college football team

Football and basketball are the only sports profitable for a university in most cases.

So they shouldn't earn profits from memorabilia that sold with THEIR NAME but the ncaa can. So they shouldn't earn profits for all those damn jerseys that get sold with their numbers on them but the ncaa can. What about the fact that college football/basketball fund every other sport at these schools??? You're trying to tell me that a terell pryor or tim tebow hasn't earned there school more money than their college educations is worth??? ? outta here..... You make money for an institution and the institution pays you, ? is this way in everything else in America why can't it be that way in the "sacred world" of college athletics??
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ? niiggas getting paid with that education point blank period if they wasn't able to run or throw a football they wouldn't be able to get into these schools. ? mentalities are just ? up now. I'm not saying don't take money but be lowkey with it. ? like TP having 6 or 7 different cars every month put up red flags. The old school cats kept it on the low and was winning. ? these days just be out there flossing for no reason. John Wooden had Kareem and them paid up but you never knew because they kept it low out of the media.
  • coop9889
    edited August 2011
    Options
    So they shouldn't earn profits from memorabilia that sold with THEIR NAME but the ncaa can. So they shouldn't earn profits for all those damn jerseys that get sold with their numbers on them but the ncaa can. What about the fact that college football/basketball fund every other sport at these schools??? You're trying to tell me that a terell pryor or tim tebow hasn't earned there school more money than their college educations is worth??? ? outta here..... You make money for an institution and the institution pays you, ? is this way in everything else in America why can't it be that way in the "sacred world" of college athletics??

Because you ignoramus...

The college players are ALREADY GETTIN PAID FOR WHAT THEY DO

what do you not understand.

And for every tim tebow and pryor there are thousands of other players that aren't marketable.
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Because you ignoramus...

And for every tim tebow and pryor there are thousands of other players that aren't marketable.

Exactly they getting paid free meals room and board they get them checks too. Like 900 dollars a month.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Because you ignoramus...

I understand that but the team AS A WHOLE makes the school hundreds of millions of dollars....
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I understand that but the team AS A WHOLE makes the school hundreds of millions of dollars....

I bet you the almost if not all the teams in the MAC, WAC and Sun Belt athletic departments didnt make a dime. The rest of their budget, that they didnt make from games, they had to get from the school itself. for which comes from you, The TAXPAYER! ARe you willing to pay for a football player that goes to your rival school?
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Lol yeah getting $500 a month is really going to deter a kid from accepting a few thousand dollars, a condo, strip club memberships, free five course meals, and........... A New Caaarrrr!! (price is right voice)

Paying them won't do ? to Change what these booster/advisors are offering up
  • Darius
    edited August 2011
    Options
    And they get to showcase their talents to the NFL
    For 3-4 years. That alone has value
  • coop9889
    edited August 2011
    Options
    How bout if the schools was really bout dat they would just opt out of the NCAA form their own institutions and they can do whatever the ? they want. The notion of the amateur athlete died a long time ago. Its just an excuse so they don't have to actually hand these kids money. Yes they are technically being paid by getting room, board and tuition but the fact is these schools and these coaches ARE NOT recruiting them for the reason of getting an education, they recruiting them to win games and make money. Most of these players wouldn't even able to get into most of these schools. 90% ? don't go to class or do work i know cuz i've seen the ? . The coaches and staff are the ones getting these tutors to do all their homework and hassling these professors about changing their grades when they failing so they can be eligible. That "its all about providing an education is just the reason they give the public its ? . The NCAA rules are hypocritical plain and simple. Another reason these schools and the NCAA is benifiting off of these players is that because they are considered "amateur athletes' and they're a non profit organization these ? don't even have to pay taxes on the profit they make from their sports programs....

I hope your arguing that they shouldn't be paid because most of the reasons you gave support that argument.
  • coop9889
    edited August 2011
    Options

I'd love to see stats on that, because it's simply not true.

And I'd love to see stats from schools of all divisions.

If you are gonna pay college athletes, you can't just pay the ones at Ohio State, Florida, and Texas.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ok, no more scholarships and we pay you for your services, I wonder what the going wages are for a recent high school grad.
  • coop9889
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Lol... no one but college athletes think college athletes should be paid.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Lol... no one but college athletes think college athletes should be paid.

The reason you don't hear the athletes themselves calling to get paid b/c they are already being paid under the table. That whole Cris Webber was so broke that he couldn't afford a value meal at Mcdonalds story was ? . dude got thousands of money in college. The whole system is ? and they are all taking advantage of each other.

Most schools even the big boys only make a profit on football. Basketball isn't even turning a profit at most schools. ? university of MD talking bout cutting like 20 sports. And then you gonna have the ladies talking bout where is my check. these schools don't have enough money to pay the field hockey team
  • coop9889
    edited August 2011
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    The reason you don't hear the athletes themselves calling to get paid b/c they are already being paid under the table. That whole Cris Webber was so broke that he couldn't afford a value meal at Mcdonalds story was ? . dude got thousands of money in college. The whole system is ? and they are all taking advantage of each other.

Most schools even the big boys only make a profit on football. Basketball isn't even turning a profit at most schools. ? university of MD talking bout cutting like 20 sports. And then you gonna have the ladies talking bout where is my check. these schools don't have enough money to pay the field hockey team

EXACTLY.

Especially at the big schools.

They are like local legends in the cities they are at. Go to a bar, free drinks. Free apparel from companies that sponsor their teams. A whole rack of ? . LMAO @ saying they are poor, when compared to the average college student they are living the life.
  • Darius
    edited August 2011
    Options
    1. You can't pick and choose who gets paid

2. You don't even know where to get the money from

3. It will not stop what it is you are trying to stop.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    so do the lacrosse team, soccer team and track team get paid?

it can't be just basketball and football