Why are there so many sects when it comes to the devotees of Jesus?

Options
KLICHE
KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
One that crossed my mind was Anglicans yesterday.. then I thought there are tons.. and to name a few.. Catholics.. Christians... Anglicans... Mormons... Baptists... Presbyterians.. Protestant.. Lutheran... Amish...7th Day Adventist... Orthodox... etc etc etc and many more that I can't remember the names right now.. But can anyone inform as to why?????

Was it goign by who told the story in the bible like the different chapters????? Really no idea on this so yeah any info cheers

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Like in the area of politics, Christians and Christian groups can be divided into conservative and liberal wings, according to their belief systems. Their teaching on abortion access, origins of the earth and the rest of the universe, equal rights for ? and lesbians, and same-sex marriage, are four indicators of their location on the liberal- conservative continuum.
    Fundamentalists, other Evangelical Protestants, Roman Catholics, and Eastern Orthodoxy, and such varied groups as the Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Unification Church, etc. generally form the conservative wing;
    The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Progressive Christianity, Evolutionary Christianity, United Church of Christ, United Church of Canada and others form the liberal wing.
    Often, a third, mainline wing is added, composed of such denominations as: American Baptist Churches in the USA, Presbyterian Church (USA), United Methodist Church, Episcopal Church, etc.

The best I have is basically they all cant agree on certain areas of the bible and some make up their own beliefs and interpretations leading to different sects, the only true similarity is the belief in Jesus and ? to sum it up clearer.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    because of sin, mainly...

The Bible tells are there are to be no divisions. Is Christ into different groups and various sects?
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    because of sin, mainly...

The Bible tells are there are to be no divisions. Is Christ into different groups and various sects?

Somewhat, but it probably is more so due to the fact people see him differently.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    one thing you should also remember is that some of the denominations have to do with organizational issues beyond the theology, or simple labeling differences (such as there being no great difference between Anglicans and Episcopalians)