The Black American Religious Experience

Options
And Step
And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Is unique to say the least.

What are some of the good things we gained from it, and what are some of the bad things we gained from it?

And what do you think should be the greatest emphasis by our religious institutions in this day and time?

Speak your clout and Rep you hood/town.

Comments

• TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    I sleep with my nightlight on.

old english drinkin ass ?
  • And Step
    edited April 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    old english drinkin ass ?

We have at least 5 people from the old IC who affirm that you were hot garbage.

And only 1(yourself) who states to the contrary. Go create some aliases so you can up your rep.

Couple that with the fact that I and others have either sonned or ethered you in most of your threads with plenty of cosigns, means that the sun is setting on you in the R & R. Go back to donkey or the Grown and Sexy where ground breaking topics like "Where do you bust off when you pull out?" , "Clicking someones profile unappreciation thread" and the seminal classic thread " I hate when ? be lyin ", are more your speed.

Your the perfect case study for why ? has a negative effect on the DNA contained in ? .
  • hrap-120
    hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The Church has proven to be pretty ineffective as far as improving our condition, Black folk get dressed up and catch the Holy ghost on Sunday and ? never changes...its cool for fellowship and listening to the choir but thats pretty much it.....and oh yeah those $5 waffle breakfast's are good for a hangover....most preachers I know used to be pimps....

The deification of a white Jesus is the worst thing that could have every happened to the psyche of Black folk and that pacifist pie-in-the-sky dogma is an oppressors dream come true. (the Tyler Perry crowd)
    I will say that Xristianty as we know it has given many of us a solid foundation of morals and principles to live by...we aint molesting little boys in our churches and faith has kept alot of these sisters on the straight and narrow.

The Nation of Islam has probaly done the best to improve our condition by focusing on cultural identity, self-empowerment, and self-reliance, they have their own businesses's, and schools, very pious and modest women, and the brothers are highly disciplined and respectful. Bean-pies are delicious and the Final Call is a good read....but Im not with the whole Master Fard Muhammad was ? in person ish....the half-white deity thing might have been needed in the 50's and 60's but to hold on to that psychological trick in 2010 is silly. If Farrakhan was more political like Malcolm instead of more spiritual he might get my attention back.

In this day and age I see Afrikan Americans coming into consciousness and returning back to the roots and principles of Afrikan Indigenous Spirituality, not Voudon per say but the worship of the anscestors and the metaphysics of the Mystery System's....Understanding who you are in relation to the universe and knowledge of Self are key components in the belief system of our anscestors.

Spirituality is much more fufilling than any form of religion.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    hrap-120 wrote: »
    The Church has proven to be pretty ineffective as far as improving our condition, Black folk get dressed up and catch the Holy ghost on Sunday and ? never changes...its cool for fellowship and listening to the choir but thats pretty much it.....and oh yeah those $5 waffle breakfast's are good for a hangover....most preachers I know used to be pimps....

The deification of a white Jesus is the worst thing that could have every happened to the psyche of Black folk and that pacifist pie-in-the-sky dogma is an oppressors dream come true. (the Tyler Perry crowd)
    I will say that Xristianty as we know it has given many of us a solid foundation of morals and principles to live by...we aint molesting little boys in our churches and faith has kept alot of these sisters on the straight and narrow.

The Nation of Islam has probaly done the best to improve our condition by focusing on cultural identity, self-empowerment, and self-reliance, they have their own businesses's, and schools, very pious and modest women, and the brothers are highly disciplined and respectful. Bean-pies are delicious and the Final Call is a good read....but Im not with the whole Master Fard Muhammad was ? in person ish....the half-white deity thing might have been needed in the 50's and 60's but to hold on to that psychological trick in 2010 is silly. If Farrakhan was more political like Malcolm instead of more spiritual he might get my attention back.

In this day and age I see Afrikan Americans coming into consciousness and returning back to the roots and principles of Afrikan Indigenous Spirituality, not Voudon per say but the worship of the anscestors and the metaphysics of the Mystery System's....Understanding who you are in relation to the universe and knowledge of Self are key components in the belief system of our anscestors.

a rap what are some books i can find to teach me about the metaphysics of the mystery system? also why not voudon?
  • And Step
    edited April 2010
    Options

Good points. You made a statement about political leanings catching your attention than spiritual leanings. You then close with a profound statement about spirituality. So are we to assume from your vantage point it is more important to be political than spiritual? Also I notice you brought up the subject of half white. Does this mean you would reject the black half? Bob Marley, Malcolm X, were part white so to speak.

I think it is more important to be spiritual first. Because politics without spirituality is what we have now.

Enlighten us.
  • And Step
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »

Good or Bad.
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

• hrap-120
    edited April 2010
    Options
    drtycity wrote: »
    a rap what are some books i can find to teach me about the metaphysics of the mystery system? also why not voudon?

Im going to send you a list and some e-books but my two favorite are....

Metu Neter Vol 1 & 2 -(Ra Un Nefer)
    ? Genes decoded (R.A. Waldron)

But to keep to keep it 100 you cant learn from a book you have to learn from an initiate or baba
    Im not against Voudon my ex practiced Palo...I just think some of it is spookism...Im not knocking it I just cant get down with certain rituals.

(And Step I B back in a sec...)
  • hrap-120
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Good points. You made a statement about political leanings catching your attention than spiritual leanings. You then close with a profound statement about spirituality. So are we to assume from your vantage point it is more important to be political than spiritual? Also I notice you brought up the subject of half white. Does this mean you would reject the black half? Bob Marley, Malcolm X, were part white so to speak.

I think it is more important to be spiritual first. Because politics without spirituality is what we have now.

Enlighten us.

Forgive me for not explaining in detail Im multi-tasking.

I was speaking about Farrakhan on a personal level, I think his organization would be more effective if he would focus more on nation-building and Pan-Afrikan-Nationalism instead of a Arabized stance on most things..even when dealing with Afrika he runs to Quaddafi who is a Islamic-zealot. Im beyond "religion" so Quranic verses and Bible scripture dont impress me...Id read the Gita before those other two books.

The half-white diety comment stems from my Understanding that Elijah Muhammad purposely used W.D. Fard as a deity figure becasue he knew that was an essential component to solidify his doctrine...he wasnt just a Master-Mason he was a Master psychologist and he knew the mindstate of Black-folk and how to manipulate them for the better...Blacks had a severe messiah complex back then and needed to be weaned off "white Jesus" so they used the half white Fard who's mother was white.....how can the white man be the Devil if your "mahdi" came from the ? of a She-devil....contradictory but effective at the time.

You are right about spirit before politic but until we form the politics to control our own resources we will suffer on this plane of existence.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Im going to send you a list and some e-books but my two favorite are....

Metu Neter Vol 1 & 2 -(Ra Un Nefer)
    ? Genes decoded (R.A. Waldron)

But to keep to keep it 100 you cant learn from a book you have to learn from an initiate or baba
    Im not against Voudon my ex practiced Palo...I just think some of it is spookism...Im not knocking it I just cant get down with certain rituals.

(And Step I B back in a sec...)

yeah send me that info cause im trying to learn about this spirituality. peace. also what is this gita you talk about?
  • And Step
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Forgive me for not explaining in detail Im multi-tasking.

I was speaking about Farrakhan on a personal level, I think his organization would be more effective if he would focus more on nation-building and Pan-Afrikan-Nationalism instead of a Arabized stance on most things..even when dealing with Afrika he runs to Quaddafi who is a Islamic-zealot. Im beyond "religion" so Quranic verses and Bible scripture dont impress me...Id read the Gita before those other two books.

The half-white diety comment stems from my Understanding that Elijah Muhammad purposely used W.D. Fard as a deity figure becasue he knew that was an essential component to solidify his doctrine...he wasnt just a Master-Mason he was a Master psychologist and he knew the mindstate of Black-folk and how to manipulate them for the better...Blacks had a severe messiah complex back then and needed to be weaned off "white Jesus" so they used the half white Fard who's mother was white.....how can the white man be the Devil if your "mahdi" came from the ? of a She-devil....contradictory but effective at the time.

You are right about spirit before politic but until we form the politics to control our own resources we will suffer on this plane of existence.

I know him personally, Farrakhan is a lot of things, and I don't think you could classify him as Arabized on anything. He is more principled centered than anything. Plus you have to remember Quadaffi had a relationship that goes back to ELijah Muhammad. He was an ardent admirer of Ali. He loaned them money to purchase the flagship mosque in 1972. His has a solid relationship with most African heads not just Qadafi. There are very few places on that continent that he can't go and be treated like a Head of State. Which is interesting because out of all the African leaders Qadaffi is more pro African than most leaders on that continent. Most all of your African leaders kowtow to Europe because of Aid and other promises from the EU. I wouldn't classify him as a zealot, but in truth he has supported more independence movements than any African leader. When most African Nations looked the other way during the APartheid days, it was Qadaffi who supported the ANC and other indigenous movements in South Africa.

Pan Afrikan movements to me have to evolve past rhetoric and the idea that Nation building can be done on just blackness and territory. Nations are formed from principles, customs, ideas, and traditions that a group of people have in common. This is where they miss the mark. You can't have scoundrels and negros in an organization and expect to make progress. This is why you must have a code of principles to live by. This is why in my opinion Elijah Muhammad was the most succesful, he set up an organization based on principle and if you violate were removed and dismissed. That is why the Mexicans are so strong in the prisons because they live by a strong code. Until Pan Afrikan movements recognize this the activity of those will remain largely ceremonial.
  • And Step
    edited April 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »

You know what dude is crazy, but he knows them scriptures and most of the callers can't deal with him.
  • hrap-120
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I know him personally, Farrakhan is a lot of things, and I don't think you could classify him as Arabized on anything. He is more principled centered than anything. Plus you have to remember Quadaffi had a relationship that goes back to ELijah Muhammad. He was an ardent admirer of Ali. He loaned them money to purchase the flagship mosque in 1972. His has a solid relationship with most African heads not just Qadafi. There are very few places on that continent that he can't go and be treated like a Head of State. Which is interesting because out of all the African leaders Qadaffi is more pro African than most leaders on that continent. Most all of your African leaders kowtow to Europe because of Aid and other promises from the EU. I wouldn't classify him as a zealot, but in truth he has supported more independence movements than any African leader. When most African Nations looked the other way during the APartheid days, it was Qadaffi who supported the ANC and other indigenous movements in South Africa.

Pan Afrikan movements to me have to evolve past rhetoric and the idea that Nation building can be done on just blackness and territory. Nations are formed from principles, customs, ideas, and traditions that a group of people have in common. This is where they miss the mark. You can't have scoundrels and negros in an organization and expect to make progress. This is why you must have a code of principles to live by. This is why in my opinion Elijah Muhammad was the most succesful, he set up an organization based on principle and if you violate were removed and dismissed. That is why the Mexicans are so strong in the prisons because they live by a strong code. Until Pan Afrikan movements recognize this the activity of those will remain largely ceremonial.

Maybe my distaste for Islam caused me to unfairly classify him, you seem to be a man of wisdom, intellect, and character so your personal and firsthand knowledge about the Hon. Min far outweighs mine. I came into consciousness with Supreme Wisdom, and I still got Message to the Black man on the bookshelf, I meant no disrespect to your friend/associate.

Say No to islamic colonialism.

Qadafi is an Arab who wants to spread Islamic and Arab imperialism and he uses different moves to cloak his motives.
    Qadafi is manipulating resources, he was over in Chad looking for metals and resources and he only backs the African countries that he can Islamize...he built a mosque in Ghana but when Ghana asked for money to build a sewage system he refused. You see the politics but you dont see the spirit.

I do admire how he handles his countries internal resources.
  • And Step
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Maybe my distaste for Islam caused me to unfairly classify him, you seem to be a man of wisdom, intellect, and character so your personal and firsthand knowledge about the Hon. Min far outweighs mine. I came into consciousness with Supreme Wisdom, and I still got Message to the Black man on the bookshelf, I meant no disrespect to your friend/associate.

Say No to islamic colonialism.

Qadafi is an Arab who wants to spread Islamic and Arab imperialism and he uses different moves to cloak his motives.
    Qadafi is manipulating resources, he was over in Chad looking for metals and resources and he only backs the African countries that he can Islamize...he built a mosque in Ghana but when Ghana asked for money to build a sewage system he refused. You see the politics but you dont see the spirit.

I do admire how he handles his countries internal resources.

Point taken.
    He does do an excellent job with handling his countries resources. He has really bright people around him. I know Libya spends a lot of money on taking care of their students who go abroad on the condition they use what they learn to help advance their country. I was in NY a while back and when he came thousands of students came out and they really supported him and showed him love. They were fiercely loyal because of how they are cared for while seeking an education. If more African governments would take that example and treasure their youth and care for them they would not have to lose them to America and Europe.

I will say Black africans can go a long way in limiting this treatment by linking up their resources and economies regardless of tribal differences. The fact Ghana had to go to Libya when Nigeria, Ivory Coast, etc are right there is really more of an indictment of us not looking out for one another.
  • And Step
    edited April 2010
    Options
    can you get farrakhan to guest post?

I wouldn't dare insult him like that.