98 Percent of Welfare Applicants In FLORIDA Pass Drug Test

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
smh @ Florida aka America's ? ... 178 Millions dollars latter...

Thanks to Florida Gov. Rick Scott's insistence that people on welfare use drugs at a higher rate than the general population, the state's Legislature implemented a policy earlier this year requiring all applicants for temporary cash assistance to pass a drug test before getting any help.

The results: Ninety-eight percent passed. And the process will cost the state $178 million.

The Tampa Tribune reports that the Department of Children and Families says about 2 percent of applicants are failing the test and another 2 percent are not completing the application process for unspecified reasons.

Here's the Tribune's assessment of how much the state will pay:

Cost of the tests averages about $30. Assuming that 1,000 to 1,500 applicants take the test every month, the state will owe about $28,800-$43,200 monthly in reimbursements to those who test drug-free.

That compares with roughly $32,200-$48,200 the state may save on one month’s worth of rejected applicants.

Net savings to the state: $3,400 to $5,000 annually on one month’s worth of rejected applicants. Over 12 months, the money saved on all rejected applicants would add up to $40,800 to $60,000 for a program that state analysts have predicted will cost $178 million this fiscal year.

Maybe Florida politicians are the ones who need to be tested to see if they're under the influence of something (prejudice, perhaps?) that's making them think this wasteful program is good public policy.

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/98-welfare-applicants-pass-drug-test

Comments

• Mindstarter
    Mindstarter Members Posts: 492
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I find it funny that ppl who support drug testing welfare recipiants think that it will save the govt money, they somehow think that most ppl on welfare are drug abusers, they also seem to think that all drug users are drug abusers, they also seem to think that poor drug users are really dumb enough to show up for a drug testing to get welfare with drugs in their system.
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Florida Gov't LAuce
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    they also seem to think that poor drug users are really dumb enough to show up for a drug testing to get welfare with drugs in their system.

quoted for emphasis, if nothing else
  • Truerap
    Truerap Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    They use there kids ? lets be real ..................
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I find it funny that ppl who support drug testing welfare recipiants think that it will save the govt money, they somehow think that most ppl on welfare are drug abusers, they also seem to think that all drug users are drug abusers, they also seem to think that poor drug users are really dumb enough to show up for a drug testing to get welfare with drugs in their system.

bolded for emphasis lol.. didnt read the link but damn 98% seems a bit IMO but props if its true
  • #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Rick Scott is an idiot.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I wonder how many didn't apply because they knew they'd fail the test.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    This doesn't affect me one way or the other...but let's not act like 100% of people in welfare don't know how to pass a drug test even if they've been using drugs.
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    SMH @ my state
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    them folks LOST
  • kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I wonder how much false ? was used....
  • Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    well its not surprising to kno that most people on welfare dont do drugs
  • Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    #1 pick wrote: »
    Rick Scott is an idiot.

definately that
  • Intellectual_Liberal
    Intellectual_Liberal Members Posts: 192
    edited August 2011
    Options
    For everyone STILL skeptical about the many loopholes in this situation (ex. "fake ? " this, "fake ? " that, "to show up for the drug test or not to show etc., lol), even if those loopholes exist, 98% passing is still one big ? YOU to conservative governing policies of FL.....
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    For everyone STILL skeptical about the many loopholes in this situation (ex. "fake ? " this, "fake ? " that, "to show up for the drug test or not to show etc., lol), even if those loopholes exist, 98% passing is still one big ? YOU to conservative governing policies of FL.....

this. even if you said 20% of that 98 faked it that's still an overwhelming majority.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    Drug test can be beat. Especially if you know when your going to take it. Randoms is what get people.
    i think the key word is applicants tho LOL ... not recipients LOL
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I honestly don't think eliminating welfare fraud would affect my paycheck so ? it.
  • -Vincenzo-
    -Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

how did the number of applicants change after it was announced they will get tested? I think the number of people that use drugs in the general population minus kids might even be higher so no way this result is the real deal
  • CapitalC
    CapitalC Members Posts: 2,056
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yall ? is crazy..
    Even the lady on Fox News last night was like testing them was stupid, expensive and (apparently) unnecessary...
    It's funny how some hip-hop fans dont understand the hood at all...
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    they need to do this everywhere
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    what?

• CapitalC
    CapitalC Members Posts: 2,056
    edited August 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    what?

They were talking about this on Fox News...if Fox News is backing ? on welfare that's saying something...
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    well, in all fairness, we need the rest of the data. How many welfare applicants applied since the law went into affect vs the rate applications received before the law went into affect? For instance, if 25k applied and were approved before and 5k applied and were approved now at $500 a pop, thats 12.5 mill vs 2 mil in benefits that's being kept. So they're up 10.5 mil, minis $30 for the test which comes out to $150k. Fl. would still be up 10 and a quarter mil. You gotta spend money to make money, i think the saying goes.

but anybody can be clean for a month, one way to make this work is random test after approval.
  • Mindstarter
    Mindstarter Members Posts: 492
    edited August 2011
    Options
    well, in all fairness, we need the rest of the data. How many welfare applicants applied since the law went into affect vs the rate applications received before the law went into affect? For instance, if 25k applied and were approved before and 5k applied and were approved now at $500 a pop, thats 12.5 mill vs 2 mil in benefits that's being kept. So they're up 10.5 mil, minis $30 for the test which comes out to $150k. Fl. would still be up 10 and a quarter mil. You gotta spend money to make money, i think the saying goes.

but anybody can be clean for a month, one way to make this work is random test after approval.

Exactly, it would have to be random testing for it to be more effective. But then that would violate people's right to privacy. I am a tax paying citizen, and if I fall on hard times I expect the same govt that I help surrpot to help me w/o having to take random drug test.....which goes back to what I said b4 in that all drug users are not drug abusers.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Florida is out here losing

1557054011_09ba64c4bf_o.gif