Phonte Reacts To Drake's BMI Award Dedication....

Options
Miles HIGH
Miles HIGH Members Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in The Reason
In an interview with The Source, Little Brother’s Phonte reacts to Drake’s acknowledgment during his BMI Songwriter Of The Year Award speech this past weekend. He also touched on Drizzy’s reluctance to collaborate with he and 9th Wonder.

Source: You’ve always said Drake was your homie, and he stated in the past that he wanted you on his next album. Is that still happening?

Phonte: "To my knowledge, it’s not happening. We’ve made contact with each other but all of my attempts to make something real happen have led to a dead end. I saw that he dedicated his BMI award to me and while that was a very noble and thoughtful gesture, I’d much rather he had dedicated himself to finishing a verse for one of me and 9th’s songs. That, to me, seems like a more tangible way of showing gratitude. But with that said, I’m still a fan and I think he’s an incredibly talented artist. When ‘Take Care’ drops, he’s got my money."

Drake ain't returnin ? ' calls outchea?

Comments

• Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Seems like he really wanted to do a song with dude

Itll probably go down after this though
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    phonte gonna show that ? up thats why Drake aint tryna test his pen game with that ?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Take Care Oct 24
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    what he need to do is update his Gordon Gartrell Radio...

and put out a solo album
  • #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    It might be more of a label issue than a Drake don't want to help Phonte issue.
  • I.B. Blackman
    I.B. Blackman Members Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    what he need to do is update his Gordon Gartrell Radio...

and put out a solo album

Phonte-Charity_Starts_At_Home.jpg

............9/27.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I can see why Drake ain't give him a verse. Drake is working on "Take Care" he's probably dedicating himself to that project.

Anyway, to digress just a little bit... i saw the tracklisting for 9th Wonder's upcoming "The Wonder Years" LP and i noticed Phonte on a lot of tracks but no Big Pooh. WTF is going on with these guys?
  • Louie V. Slugger
    Louie V. Slugger Members Posts: 392
    edited August 2011
    Options
    J Cole:Sideline story Sept. 26

Am I cool now for doing this?
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Phonte-Charity_Starts_At_Home.jpg

............9/27.

lol... well ill be... that ? finally puttin out a solo...
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    #1 pick wrote: »
    It might be more of a label issue than a Drake don't want to help Phonte issue.

C/S. They already done a song together (with eLZhi) for one of Drake's past mixtapes. I'm sure it'll happen again soon enough...
  • biggar
    biggar Members Posts: 1,190 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The fact that he only wants Drake for a verse instead of just taking respect aint a good look in itself. He just wants Drakes verse to sell a couple albums. I didnt think 9th and them were like that.
  • thehonorable
    thehonorable Members Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Man... What yall don't know is...this has been Drakes MO the entire time.

Drake is a snake...so he will succeed in this business. I will cop Take Care tho, homie is talented...

Just don't be a friend to him unless you are in a higher place.
  • mindright
    mindright Members Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    biggar wrote: »
    The fact that he only wants Drake for a verse instead of just taking respect aint a good look in itself. He just wants Drakes verse to sell a couple albums. I didnt think 9th and them were like that.

so dedicating your award to another grown man is what's up these days??

someone had to feel slightly guilty for doing that, or he just loves other grown men.

Phonte wants a verse, I don't see nothing wrong with that...

Label politics may be why he can't do the verse, but be a man and say something... man up drake, stop being an awkward ? .
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    still don't get why man really listen to drake's music
  • biggar
    biggar Members Posts: 1,190 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    mindright wrote: »
    so dedicating your award to another grown man is what's up these days??

someone had to feel slightly guilty for doing that, or he just loves other grown men.

Phonte wants a verse, I don't see nothing wrong with that...

Label politics may be why he can't do the verse, but be a man and say something... man up drake, stop being an awkward ? .

Not at all what I meant. Theres no issue with a musician thanking another musician. I didnt look at it as a man thanking another man.

Plus I personally dont believe Phonte and 9th's fan base would accept a Drake verse to be honest.
  • Duncan21
    Duncan21 Members Posts: 296
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Not at all what I meant. Theres no issue with a musician thanking another musician. I didnt look at it as a man thanking another man.

Plus I personally dont believe Phonte and 9th's fan base would accept a Drake verse to be honest.

They have like 2 or 3 songs together, and they were fire.. I think that Drake should call because they both have said that wanted to work together again..
  • Miles HIGH
    Miles HIGH Members Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    still don't get why man really listen to drake's music

Cause...What man doesn't want money, and/or cars, and/or clothes, and/or hoes...And success?
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Miles HIGH wrote: »
    Cause...What man doesn't want money, and/or cars, and/or clothes, and/or hoes...And success?
    if you want to listen to ? simp music that's on you i don't want estrogen coming threw my speakers and headphones
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    lol people not knowing that drake and phonte work better than drak and lil wayne.

Wayne and drake dont match at all.Drake and Phonte compliment each other.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options

c/s...i mean like Drake or not, he's the face of hip hop right now...and for him to dedicate an award to you (rightfully so) is a great look.

I mean dozens of rappers have Drake verses...it aint gon prevent Phonte from eventually sellin 15k first week...the game is what it is
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Now that i got my criticism out the way

Phonte is a fukin genious.

At LB's height i put him in my top 5 current rappers list...AND he has a grammy nominated R&B song, from a classic R&B album: Leave it All Behind

Phonte = male, scaled down version of Lauryn Hill
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    I lose more and more respect for these Lil Brother cats with every passing day...

c/s..........................