Real talk... What was so special about Boyz II Men?

Options
mrjun18
mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
edited April 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
Now before anybody tries to bring up some facts on me like I ain't grow up on Boyz II Men...Please don't even try. I mean their first two albums were cool (The original 10 track "Cooleyhigh.." I always liked, while "II" was always just average to me), but everything after that was either mediocre or worse. They had great harmony but also a good amount of dull/repetitive material.

Okay, so Babyface wrote them a lot of hits that were successful on pop charts and they have a diamond album or two, because of that.....but musically and talent wise, what was so great about them? I always thought (and still think) these boys were overrated and other 90's male groups/bands in their era were just better than them, though nobody else sold as much and had the the same level of success as BIIM did.

What y'all think?

*And this is NOT a hate thread*

Comments

• YungHeartLess5
    YungHeartLess5 Members Posts: 413
    edited April 2010
    Options
    They're legends... Yes there were better bands out there but that doesn't take away from what they accomplished.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    They could sing really good.
  • mrjun18
    edited April 2010
    Options
    They're legends... Yes there were better bands out there but that doesn't take away from what they accomplished.

what makes them legends in your opinion?
  • YungHeartLess5
    YungHeartLess5 Members Posts: 413
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Their debut is classic, some would argue the follow up is too... You yourself say they had tons of hits and even went diamond... I should be asking you why do you feel they aren't legends
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    the harmonies were pristine
  • Super Lex
    Super Lex Members Posts: 460
    edited April 2010
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    They could sing really good.

Basically. Their harmonizing is second to none.
  • Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    im not much of an r and b cat but MotownPhilly and In the Still of the Night were my ? back then. Motownphilly was a really cool song at the time. i must have been like 11 back then but i remember it having a new type of sound to that song. And they made me aware of the song in the Still of the Night which is an og classic. I think they had a certain style of dress that became popular around that time also like the preppy urban look but can't remember that too much.
  • Mr. R&B
    Mr. R&B Members Posts: 80
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I know you ain't hating and neither am I when I say: WOW@this thread title and calling Boyz II Men overrated. Wow.

Their singing, songwriting (they've written and produced many of their songs, especially Shawn and Wanya), harmonizing, quality of music, ability to make an old song sound brand new, awards and sales speak for themselves. Not to mention, how they can sing the ? out of a Capella like no other.

And Evolution is one of my favorite R&B albums of all time. For me, it's their best. II being a close second. These guys were/are the whole package and the real deal. In no way, shape or form are they overrated. They've done everything an R&B artist should do and more. Just my two cents.
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Motownphilly...
  • Violent Words
    Violent Words Members Posts: 45
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Jodeci was better... YES I SAID IT!
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

Jodeci was a contrast to them, I wouldnt say they were better but they were a nice alternative.

To answer the threadstarter though, they could sing...and their classic songs are better than anything any artist not named R kelly has put out in the past 10-15 years.
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Jodeci was a contrast to them, I wouldnt say they were better but they were a nice alternative.

To answer the threadstarter though, they could sing...and their classic songs are better than anything any artist not named R kelly has put out in the past 10-15 years.

jodeci was better to me IMO and it came down to Devante. His ability to write songs and produce songs were amazing. I still listen to the show the afterparty the hotel atleast once a week
  • Mr. R&B
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Jodeci was... Different. They were the "bad boys" of R&B groups.

No way, in my opinion, did their vocals or range top Boyz II Men's, though. I also find that Boyz II Men put out more quality music.

Not taking anything away from Jodeci, I was always a fan. But, Boyz II Men were/are on another level.
  • tab58064
    tab58064 Members Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    mrjun18 wrote: »
    Now before anybody tries to bring up some facts on me like I ain't grow up on Boyz II Men...Please don't even try. I mean their first two albums were cool (The original 10 track "Cooleyhigh.." I always liked, while "II" was always just average to me), but everything after that was either mediocre or worse. They had great harmony but also a good amount of dull/repetitive material.

Okay, so Babyface wrote them a lot of hits that were successful on pop charts and they have a diamond album or two, because of that.....but musically and talent wise, what was so great about them? I always thought (and still think) these boys were overrated and other 90's male groups/bands in their era were just better than them, though nobody else sold as much and had the the same level of success as BIIM did.

What y'all think?

*And this is NOT a hate thread*
    The were great singer, but I just never could into their ? like so many others. Some of their music was down right depressing IMO!!
  • mrjun18
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Mr. R&B wrote: »
    I know you ain't hating and neither am I when I say: WOW@this thread title and calling Boyz II Men overrated. Wow.

Their singing, songwriting (they've written and produced many of their songs, especially Shawn and Wanya), harmonizing, quality of music, ability to make an old song sound brand new, awards and sales speak for themselves. Not to mention, how they can sing the ? out of a Capella like no other.

And Evolution is one of my favorite R&B albums of all time. For me, it's their best. II being a close second. These guys were/are the whole package and the real deal. In no way, shape or form are they overrated. They've done everything an R&B artist should do and more. Just my two cents.
    Sorry homie, but Evolution had too much filler. especially the 2nd half and most of the uptempo.....They ran out of gas when that ? dropped.

Thank You. I definitely agree with this. always have, and they always will be. Boyz II Men has the longevity and sales, but musically, and talent wise, there isn't a comparison. Boyz II might have also had a better harmony, but Jodeci's was just more soulful IMO.

tab58064 wrote: »
    The were great singer, but I just never could into their ? like so many others. Some of their music was down right depressing IMO!!

This is exactly how I feel.....End of the Road, I'll Make Love to You, Bended Knee....Many of the songs sounded similar to each other. I liked them a bit, but many songs just sounded too identical.
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Boys II Men is the only group post Motown era that you can even compare to the great groups of that era.
  • Mr. R&B
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Sorry homie, but Evolution had too much filler. especially the 2nd half and most of the uptempo.....They ran out of gas when that ? dropped.
    Nah. I disagree. I didn't hear any filler on that album. It's one of the albums I've played the most and, till this day, I can listen to every song. That album showed a lot of growth and maturity. The "Boyz" had officially become "Men" on Evolution (such a fitting title).

There were definitely tracks that stood out more than others. But, overall, great ? CD.
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    Boys II Men is the only group post Motown era that you can even compare to the great groups of that era.
    Close thread.
  • kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I honestly prefer Jodeci music more just because of their style, but no way they were more talented than Boyz II Men. I mean everybody has their preference on who they like more, but far as singing/harmonizing?

Boyz II Men hands down.
  • kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • mrjun18
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Mrslim1 wrote: »

false. not saying they are on the same level, but as far as musicianship, the tonyies and mint condition can be compared to the older bands as well.... (o'jays, ewf, the ohio players, tower of power etc...).

new edition can be compared too.
    Nah. I disagree. I didn't hear any filler on that album. It's one of the albums I've played the most and, till this day, I can listen to every song. That album showed a lot of growth and maturity. The "Boyz" had officially become "Men" on Evolution (such a fitting title).

There were definitely tracks that stood out more than others. But, overall, great ? CD.

really?, nah bro, that album had mad filler. "girl in the life magazine"? "baby come on", "c'mon", "human ii", ---all filler.... that's apart of the main reason they fell off so hard right after the II album was so successful and good. people started to get tired of them around 1997 or so and the album wasnt living up to what they were known for before. sales dropped from 10+mill, to just over 2 mill (which is still good, but a damn big difference). etc..

kci and jojo who were always in boyz ii mens shadows while in jodeci, had finally stepped to the forefront in 1997 when they dropped the "love always" album, which IMO i think is easily better than evolution.
    kAjUn wrote: »
    I honestly prefer Jodeci music more just because of their style, but no way they were more talented than Boyz II Men. I mean everybody has their preference on who they like more, but far as singing/harmonizing?

Boyz II Men hands down.
    talent is just singing now? what about songwriting? instrumentation? arranging and producing? etc. who in boyz ii men could talk to devante or dalvin in terms of being musically multi-talented? have you seen the production and songwriting credits that devante has done? have you seen dalvin on the drums before...? talent wise, jodeci >> boyz ii men.....

no comparison. boyz ii men was not even in the top 3 in talents groups of their era....

i'll give you the singing and harmonizing, but thats not it when it comes to musicanship. and again, this is not a hate thread y'all. lol.
  • Mr. R&B
    edited April 2010
    Options
    really?, nah bro, that album had mad filler. "girl in the life magazine"? "baby come on", "c'mon", "human ii", ---all filler
    I disagree. I love all those tracks, aside from 'Girl in The Life Magazine'. Even so, I wouldn't call it "filler". I love the concept of that song.
    thats apart of the main reason they fell off so hard right after the II album was so successful and good. people started to get tired of them around 1997 or so and the album wasnt living up to what they were known for before. sales dropped from 10+mill, to just over 2 mill (which is still good, but a damn big difference). etc..
    Sales really has nothing to do with what you and I are discussing. We're talking about the quality of the album, not how much it sold. 2x platinum is awesome. The only reason Motownphilly and II sold more, was because of the singles. They were more radio friendly and targeted at a younger audience. Evolution's singles were not. But, like I said, the album, as a whole, was their best work, with II being a close second, in my opinion.
    kci and jojo who were always in boyz ii mens shadows while in jodeci, had finally stepped to the forefront in 1997 when they dropped the "love always" album, which IMO i think is easily better than evolution.
    Yuck. I hate that album. Only reason they got all that attention was because of 'All My Life'. Aside from that and 'Don't Rush', that album bores the ? out of me. From start to finish, Evolution is the superior album. 4 Seasons of Loneliness>>>all.

Just being real. You said your piece earlier, I replied with mine. So, there's really no need to keep debating this another time lmao. Let's just agree to disagree.
  • mrjun18
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I disagree. I love all those tracks, aside from 'Girl in The Life Magazine'. Even so, I wouldn't call it "filler". I love the concept of that song.

Sales really has nothing to do with what you and I are discussing. We're talking about the quality of the album, not how much it sold. 2x platinum is awesome. The only reason Motownphilly and II sold more, was because of the singles. They were more radio friendly and targeted at a younger audience. Evolution's singles were not. But, like I said, the album, as a whole, was their best work, with II being a close second, in my opinion.

Yuck. I hate that album. Only reason they got all that attention was because of 'All My Life'. Aside from that and 'Don't Rush', that album bores the ? out of me. From start to finish, Evolution is the superior album. 4 Seasons of Loneliness>>>all.

Just being real. You said your piece earlier, I replied with mine. So, there's really no need to keep debating this another time lmao. Let's just agree to disagree.

You hate that album? Really? "Last Nights Letter"? "How Many Times"? "Just For Love"? Man that album was solid homie.

And not that sales matter, but I only brought up sales as one of the reason why people were not in to Boyz II Men anymore....Not just the lower quality material, but other factors as well. And "4 Four Seasons" is easily one of Boyz II Men's worst singles, never liked that song.

Doin Just Fine, Pass You By >> 4 Seasons

But I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
  • Mr. R&B
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You hate that album? Really? "Last Nights Letter"? "How Many Times"? "Just For Love"? Man that album was solid homie.

And not that sales matter, but I only brought up sales as one of the reason why people were not in to Boyz II Men anymore....Not just the lower quality material, but other factors as well. And "4 Four Seasons" is easily one of Boyz II Men's worst singles, never liked that song.

Doin Just Fine, Pass You By >> 4 Seasons

But I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
    Yeah, KC and Jojo bore be, period. Them dudes is mad corny. Without DeVante, they are MEH.

I honestly don't consider lower sales equaling people weren't into Boyz II Men anymore. Evolution just didn't have those radio-friendly singles and was targeted at a much more grown-folk demographic. That's all. 2 million people still bought the album.

I guess we just have very different taste. You see, 4 Seasons of Loneliness is my favorite Boyz II Men record and one of my favorite songs ever. Doin' Just Fine is awesome also, but I don't think it's on the same level as 4 Seasons of Loneliness (that song is just magic to me lol), and Pass You By is alright. I dunno, I can't replay that song over and over.

Yep. We just have different taste. No biggie. I still think Boyz II Men>>>Jodeci (who I also love) vocally and music quality speaking.
  • mrjun18
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yeah, KC and Jojo bore be, period. Them dudes is mad corny. Without DeVante, they are MEH.

I honestly don't consider lower sales equaling people weren't into Boyz II Men anymore. Evolution just didn't have those radio-friendly singles and was targeted at a much more grown-folk demographic. That's all. 2 million people still bought the album.

I guess we just have very different taste. You see, 4 Seasons of Loneliness is my favorite Boyz II Men record and one of my favorite songs ever. Doin' Just Fine is awesome also, but I don't think it's on the same level as 4 Seasons of Loneliness (that song is just magic to me lol), and Pass You By is alright. I dunno, I can't replay that song over and over.

Yep. We just have different taste. No biggie. I still think Boyz II Men>>>Jodeci (who I also love) vocally and music quality speaking.
    Aight thats cool, bro. At the end of the day, Jodeci, Boyz II Men, Silk, Guy, etc. >>> 2000's R&B artists.
    Even Al B Sure, who can barely sing a lick >> Bobby Valentino, Omarion, etc. and the rest of them fools.

As far as K-Ci and JoJo as a duo, I wasn't a big fan of them.... I just liked that first album they had, the rest of the albums after that were 2-3 singles, then the rest is mostly filler. Jodeci on the other hand is my ? . I do agree once DeVante is out the equation, there is a big loss. Too bad Jodeci n1ggas is crackheads now, while Boyz II Men are still doing they thang...well... at least trying. lol.
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    false. not saying they are on the same level, but as far as musicianship, the tonyies and mint condition can be compared to the older bands as well.... (o'jays, ewf, the ohio players, tower of power etc...).

Well musicianship is a different thing. I am speaking on vocal ability compared to the Temptations , 4 Tops , Chi-lites etc .