Question 4 The Non-Believers....

Options
Jesus Jackson
Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
..... How do you explain all these conflicts that have been going on in the world for centuries? You don't think that this is all part of some storyline for the human race? Also, you mean to tell me that in your lifetime you've NEVER experienced something that was just a little TOO coincidental to be just a coincidence? Do you really attribute everything that happens in this world to just chance and science? What I'm asking is this: You honestly don't believe that there could be a higher power out there that put us all here for a reason? You really don't believe that a ? could exist? And please don't say something stupid like, "No, I don't believe in imaginary friends who live in the sky".... You can miss me with those types of condescending responses... Nobody believes that there's people living in the sky, so don't even bring that up. This is about life and how we got here and why we are here.... If you don't believe in a ? (or GODS), what DO you believe in? And like I said, keep the insulting cheap-shot comments to yourself; this is a serious discussion.

P.S. Yep, I believe in ? . There, I said it.

Mods, please don't move this.

Comments

• El Payaso
    El Payaso Members Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ? this ? ass thread and your mother ? ? .
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Man go read the Diamond plus thread(s) that tackled this subject at length.
    If you don't know the title of those threads, PM fiat_money about them and he'll let you know. Offer him a pic of a naked chick or a ? shaking black girl youtube video as a gratuity.
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ? stay mockin ? ... I feel sorry for you brother
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I believe in nature,science and logic.I used to believe in ? when i was a kid because i was told to.As i became an adult i started to notice all of the holes in the bible and what religion says.Conflict exists because of egos,greed and power hungry people.For all we know the planet created us and life does not need to exist because of a ? .What proof is there that there is a ? ? No one can logically explain why a ? exists and if it can not be explained by logic then it is not real.Math and physics can be proven through logic and if a ? created this world thenit would have had to create math and physics which means that logic can prove it's existence.
  • 1of1
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Jesus Jackson has the devil and its evil pet in his AVI. This can't be life.
  • DRO
    edited August 2011
    Options
    mad jack wrote: »
    i believe in nature,science and logic.i used to believe in ? when i was a kid because i was told to.as i became an adult i started to notice all of the holes in the bible and what religion says.conflict exists because of egos,greed and power hungry people.for all we know the planet created us and life does not need to exist because of a ? .what proof is there that there is a ? ? No one can logically explain why a ? exists and if it can not be explained by logic then it is not real.math and physics can be proven through logic and if a ? created this world thenit would have had to create math and physics which means that logic can prove it's existence.

... See thats the problem... You are thinking in the physical.. Things with limits..

? is a spirt and if you dont have a relationship with ? , u will always set limits and have doubts on what can and cannot be done
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    COULD there be a ? ? Certainly? IS there a ? ? I'm undecided.
  • SoutCity
    SoutCity Members Posts: 1,901 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Well I believe there is a ? . Who he is I have no ? idea.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    the physical is all there is.There is no proof of spirits existing.No proof of us having a soul.How can these things exists when no one has seen them to describe them? No one has seen heaven or hell,but are convinced they exists because of a book.i used to read comics but I knew that batman and Spiderman were fictional characters.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Here's my thing mane. Humans don't like not knowing. It's that innate characteristic that fuels both science and religion. It is why religious people humanize ? . I highly doubt that ? is jealous, if he exists. I highly doubt that ? is a he, if he exists. I doubt that he gives two ? about the every day goings on of my life. We have attached emotions and human characteristics to a being that if it were to exist, would not have any of those. If there is a ? , we are incapable of understanding its existence.

That doesn't mean "I believe in science" either. Almost all science rests upon an assumption called the Principle of Uniformity of Nature. Assuming that all ? is the same everywhere. It's why we look for planets with similar environments to our own. But just a couple months ago scientists found a Galaxy so big that given our current laws of physics it should have imploded on itself. There many holes in scientific theories, but we use them b/c they work well enough for our society to function. That said, it's not unassailable. I think the biggest of which is the question of where the gases from the big bang came from. Like ? , we have to just say "they simply existed."

So that leaves us with a couple questions: What to believe, Who to believe, and Why to believe it?

That's the beauty about humanity, we can make those choices for ourselves, and as long as those choices make us comfortable as grains of sand on this beach of a universe, I'm support them.

As for me? I waiver between two views depending on my mood honestly. 1. I simply don't know, and honestly, I'm fine with that. I am perfectly comfortable not knowing the answer. As humans we search for answers b/c no knowing scares the ? out of us. It's why we're afraid of the dark, and why sudden movement from around a corner or anywhere outside our field of view scares us. 2. It's all chance. The law of entropy states that every single possibility there is will happen as some point. We don't know if this is the first universe, or the 1000th. We simply occurred b/c it's bound to happen at some point. Every single combination of atoms and molecules will occur at some point. And since time is infinite......
  • Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Forget about the Bible, forget about the Koran, etc... This aint about religion.. This is about life and the possibility of there being a higher power responsible for everything that occurs on this planet. ? is not a "HE", so don't refer to ? as such.. You can't see the wind, but you know it exists... ? is real.

@ Mad Jack... Everything you said was true... Except the part about ? not being real.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ..... How do you explain all these conflicts that have been going on in the world for centuries? You don't think that this is all part of some storyline for the human race? Also, you mean to tell me that in your lifetime you've NEVER experienced something that was just a little TOO coincidental to be just a coincidence? Do you really attribute everything that happens in this world to just chance and science? What I'm asking is this: You honestly don't believe that there could be a higher power out there that put us all here for a reason? You really don't believe that a ? could exist? And please don't say something stupid like, "No, I don't believe in imaginary friends who live in the sky".... You can miss me with those types of condescending responses... Nobody believes that there's people living in the sky, so don't even bring that up. This is about life and how we got here and why we are here.... If you don't believe in a ? (or GODS), what DO you believe in? And like I said, keep the insulting cheap-shot comments to yourself; this is a serious discussion...
    I explain them as "conflicts that have been going on in the world for centuries".

I've never experienced something that was "too coincidental".

I attribute everything that happens in this world to being the result of the many factors/variables present here.

I honestly don't believe that there could be a higher power out there that put us all here for a reason.

I really don't believe that ? (s) or anything supernatural can exist.

I believe slim chicks with cute faces, proportionate bodies, gropable perky ? , and nice ? (round, plump, somewhat firm, and pothole/cottage cheese free) are attractive.
  • 1of1
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Humans don't like not knowing.

1. I simply don't know, and honestly, I'm fine with that. I am perfectly comfortable not knowing the answer. As humans we search for answers b/c no knowing scares the ? out of us.

Exactly.........
  • IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Forget about the Bible, forget about the Koran, etc... This aint about religion.. This is about life and the possibility of there being a higher power responsible for everything that occurs on this planet. ? is not a "HE", so don't refer to ? as such.. You can't see the wind, but you know it exists... ? is real.

@ Mad Jack... Everything you said was true... Except the part about ? not being real.

@bolded. yeah you cant see the wind but you know its there cause it shows itself in physical form ? doesnt so just stop it five
  • DRO
    edited August 2011
    Options
    exactly.........

exactly what?

U dont care that u dont know
  • Idi Amin Dada
    edited August 2011
    Options
    exactly what?

U dont care that u dont know

Not really. It doesn't make me scared.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ..... How do you explain all these conflicts that have been going on in the world for centuries? You don't think that this is all part of some storyline for the human race?

I don't understand why you need a non-theistic explanation for human conflict to disprove your default assumption that a ? is responsible for it and everything else, I don't even see the connection. It seems completely random. What does human conflict have to do with the existence of a ? ?

Since you're the one starting with an assumption, the onus is on you to provide evidence for your assumption. Atheists don't have to go out of their way to disprove your unsupported assumptions.
    Also, you mean to tell me that in your lifetime you've NEVER experienced something that was just a little TOO coincidental to be just a coincidence?

John hit Bob in the head with a baseball bat. It wasn't a coincidence, he was intentionally trying to hit that ? . What does ? have to with it?
    Do you really attribute everything that happens in this world to just chance and science?

I attribute everything that happens in the world to causality. I still have to explain the first cause but you have the same problem with ? .
    What I'm asking is this: You honestly don't believe that there could be a higher power out there that put us all here for a reason? You really don't believe that a ? could exist? And please don't say something stupid like, "No, I don't believe in imaginary friends who live in the sky".... You can miss me with those types of condescending responses... Nobody believes that there's people living in the sky, so don't even bring that up. This is about life and how we got here and why we are here....

I don't believe that non-physical phenomenon is logically possible. By definition, the super-natural would have nothing to do with our natural universe even if it does exist. How does non-physical phenomenon even interact with the empirically observable physical universe?
    If you don't believe in a ? (or GODS), what DO you believe in?

I believe that have a materialistic explanation of the universe connects me to the rest of nature, this is beautiful to me. I also believe that I *should* regard the happiness/suffering of every other sentient being as though it were my own, partly because of this reason.
  • XIII
    XIII Members Posts: 631
    edited August 2011
    Options
    2nd post is gold ....
  • bbwthick23
    bbwthick23 Members Posts: 954 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ..... How do you explain all these conflicts that have been going on in the world for centuries?

Not with religion, except when it is the cause of said conflict.
    Do you really attribute everything that happens in this world to just chance and science?

Pretty much, some other variables perhaps too but none supernatural.
    What I'm asking is this: You honestly don't believe that there could be a higher power out there that put us all here for a reason? You really don't believe that a ? could exist?

I like to define atheism as rejecting belief in ? /s rather than as believing that ? doesn't exist... subtle but important distinction.
    If you don't believe in a ? (or GODS), what DO you believe in?

I don't believe in anything supernatural, only things I can say I believe in are nontangable ideas like justice, equality, peace.
  • Go figure...
    Go figure... Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Here's my thing mane. Humans don't like not knowing. It's that innate characteristic that fuels both science and religion. It is why religious people humanize ? . I highly doubt that ? is jealous, if he exists. I highly doubt that ? is a he, if he exists. I doubt that he gives two ? about the every day goings on of my life. We have attached emotions and human characteristics to a being that if it were to exist, would not have any of those. If there is a ? , we are incapable of understanding its existence.

That doesn't mean "I believe in science" either. Almost all science rests upon an assumption called the Principle of Uniformity of Nature. Assuming that all ? is the same everywhere. It's why we look for planets with similar environments to our own. But just a couple months ago scientists found a Galaxy so big that given our current laws of physics it should have imploded on itself. There many holes in scientific theories, but we use them b/c they work well enough for our society to function. That said, it's not unassailable. I think the biggest of which is the question of where the gases from the big bang came from. Like ? , we have to just say "they simply existed."

So that leaves us with a couple questions: What to believe, Who to believe, and Why to believe it?

That's the beauty about humanity, we can make those choices for ourselves, and as long as those choices make us comfortable as grains of sand on this beach of a universe, I'm support them.

As for me? I waiver between two views depending on my mood honestly. 1. I simply don't know, and honestly, I'm fine with that. I am perfectly comfortable not knowing the answer. As humans we search for answers b/c no knowing scares the ? out of us. It's why we're afraid of the dark, and why sudden movement from around a corner or anywhere outside our field of view scares us. 2. It's all chance. The law of entropy states that every single possibility there is will happen as some point. We don't know if this is the first universe, or the 1000th. We simply occurred b/c it's bound to happen at some point. Every single combination of atoms and molecules will occur at some point. And since time is infinite......

good post bruh
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ..... How do you explain all these conflicts that have been going on in the world for centuries? You don't think that this is all part of some storyline for the human race? Also, you mean to tell me that in your lifetime you've NEVER experienced something that was just a little TOO coincidental to be just a coincidence? Do you really attribute everything that happens in this world to just chance and science? What I'm asking is this: You honestly don't believe that there could be a higher power out there that put us all here for a reason? You really don't believe that a ? could exist? And please don't say something stupid like, "No, I don't believe in imaginary friends who live in the sky".... You can miss me with those types of condescending responses... Nobody believes that there's people living in the sky, so don't even bring that up. This is about life and how we got here and why we are here.... If you don't believe in a ? (or GODS), what DO you believe in? And like I said, keep the insulting cheap-shot comments to yourself; this is a serious discussion.

P.S. Yep, I believe in ? . There, I said it.

Mods, please don't move this.

Conflict occurs when you have people with different belief systems, if anything religion is a big part of the problem because religion deals with definites and there is no definites int he world other than death. We truly don't know ? , but like to force our belief system on others. I personally believe in a collective consciousness and we all have a connection, i don't believe in some dude sitting in space who is toying with peoples emotions and life. The concept of ? makes no sense to me, it's too much contradiction and faulty ass logic. I don't believe in a ? in the dogmatic sense, i believe in men and believe we have more control over our lives and destiny than people think. The concept of ? and religion is man made to deal with the uncertainties in life (death, not knowing how space and time operate,etc).

? is essentially the weak mans and weak minded persons way of taking accountability of their life, give yourself some credit for once.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Threadstarter's curiosity is going to lead him to the light of atheism.

Welcome, my son.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    I believe in nature,science and logic.I used to believe in ? when i was a kid because i was told to.As i became an adult i started to notice all of the holes in the bible and what religion says.Conflict exists because of egos,greed and power hungry people.For all we know the planet created us and life does not need to exist because of a ? .What proof is there that there is a ? ? No one can logically explain why a ? exists and if it can not be explained by logic then it is not real.Math and physics can be proven through logic and if a ? created this world thenit would have had to create math and physics which means that logic can prove it's existence.

logic can be altered by changing your frame of reference...that's not a good reason to not believe in something
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    why do people keep saying religion itself is the cause of conflict...it's not religion it's the people who are the cause of the conflict...religion is just the vehicle being used to drive it...but it's not the cause itself