Post up an album that you still listen to regularly since you first heard it.

Options
Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Essence
MiseryLovesComedy.jpg

Louis Logic and J.J. Brown - Misery Loves Comedy

"New Leaf"
"Captain Lou El Wino"
"The Line"
"Beginner's ? "
"Rule By A Fool"
"All Girls Cheat"
"The Withdrawal Method"
"A Perfect Circle"
Marisa Croce
"Classy McNasty"
"The Great Divide"
"Up To No Good"
"Morning After Pill"
"Misery Loves Comedy"
"The Great Divide [Remix]" (bonus track after "Misery Loves Comedy")

First heard louis when i was 14 with Sin A Matic, Dope album if you havent checked it, then he released this album 2 years later and blew me away. Lou Used to be a part of the Demigodz when they first started and is no longer associated with them i guess but i wish they would. Anyway since i was 16 i would listen to this album all the time, i almost memorized all the songs. Lou added me to his personal profile on FB and we were trying to talk to promoters for a show up here but it fell thru due to him not being as popular as he was in the underground in 06. Brown and Logic are an amazing duo, Louis flows effortlessly with Browns beats and the chemistry is just insane. i wish they would get back together and make a new album but it looks like Lou is doing alternative rock or something? if anyone knows anything let me know.

I cant pick a fave track either. every song is pure dopeness.

Everyone else plz share your album that goes everywhere

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »

Louis Logic and J.J. Brown - Misery Loves Comedy

Great drop :tu I've heard about this album for years, but I've never sat down and gave this a listen, I'll do so in the near future though after that review, props :tu

If I could, I would mesh Nujabes 'Modal Soul' and 'Metaphorical Music' into one disc... in my opinion, Nujabes is one of the greatest producers of all time; that said, he never made a perfect disc and will no longer achieve perfection due to his passing away a year ago now, RIP. That said, my favourite disc from him, which doesn't contain my favourite song of his, but has a better collection; is 'Modal Soul'.

s1600-

Nujabes is an artist I discovered through my love of CYNE. I was put onto CYNE here by I think 'Big L RIP'. After that, I searched for everything and anything I could find from CYNE and I discovered a Nujabes song entitled Feather, which featured none other than Cise Starr and Akin (the two emcee's of CYNE). The melody, piano loop, drum pattern just dumbed me out. I never thought that CYNE could sound better on another producers track, Enoch and Speck do a great job (the two producers of CYNE).

I listened, then listened again, then again and again and again until I decided to search for more songs from Nujabes. I found downloads of both Metaphorical Music and Modal Soul, which contained 'Feather'. These two albums along with CYNE's Evolution Fight kept me happy for months in 2005. However, Modal Soul seemed to be much more complete in comparison to the sometimes pure Jazz, sometimes pure electronic, Metaphorical Music. I enjoyed all the tracks on his follow up to his debut (not including Impression) and think that it's an all round better album. With that said, here's the track list:

1. "Feather" (featuring Cise Starr & Akin)"
    2. "Ordinary Joe" (featuring Terry Callier)"
    3. "Reflection Eternal"
    4. "Luv (Sic) Part 3" (featuring Shing02)"
    5. "Music Is Mine"
    6. "Eclipse" (featuring Substantial)"
    7. "The Sign" (featuring Pase Rock)"
    8. "Thank You" (featuring Apani B)"
    9. "World's End Rhapsody"
    10. "Modal Soul" (featuring Uyama Hiroto)"
    11. "Flowers"
    12. "Sea Of Cloud"
    13. "Light On The Land"
    14. "Horizon"

Due to this being a complete mixed bag, there are some favourite songs (which are bolded); Feather of course is one of them, but Reflection Eternal is another 'mother'. The most beautiful piano loop provided by Noriko Close and matched by the perfect drums, it's one of Nujabes greatest tracks. Shing02 provides a great verse on Love (sic) part 3, which again has a Nujabes flow that takes you away from everything and anything that you're doing, like only Nujabes and arguably a few others (Michita, DJ Okawari, Nomak, Re: Plus, DJ Okawari and even the piano player for Nujabes, Uyama Hiroto). Substantial, who is still touring now for Nujabes really brought the album to another place on Eclipse; which is a track about missing his girl whilst on the road. The tracks personal touch from Substantial took it to new heights for an alternative Nujabes track that focuses on a depressing side of music in contrast to Nujabes oft-uplifting soundscape. Worlds End Rhapsody brings back the Nujabes flavour, as 'I'm fine and I love you' pours through the speakers on a loop that's been made into a part of the instruments as much as anything... and leads into the final great track, the albums titled track, Modal Soul.

Overall, it's a great listen and a great voyage... it has it's down points, but if I'm taking a CD with me, I always want to chill out and nobody can really accomplish that like Nujabes could. Rest in Peace to the ? behind beats, Nujabes.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Great thread Lou,

One of my favorite drops was Atmosphere - When Life gives you lemons. That album is one of the greatest hip hop albums ever. i even prefer it to my early tastes of Hip hop (Ready to die, Reasonable doubt). The Concepts & beats are amazing.

[IMG]http://img.noiset.com/images/album/atmosphere-when-life-gives-you-lemons-you-paint-that-? -gold-album-cover-14901.jpeg[/IMG]

"Like the Rest of Us" – 3:20
    "Puppets" – 3:41
    "The Skinny" – 3:36
    "Dreamer" – 4:04
    "Shoulda Known" – 3:06
    "You" – 3:14
    "Painting" – 3:00
    "Your Glasshouse" – 3:58
    "Yesterday" – 3:23
    "Guarantees" – 4:32
    "Me" – 3:40
    "Wild Wild Horses" – 4:14
    "Can't Break" – 3:33
    "The Waitress" – 3:00
    "In Her Music Box" – 4:20

If anybody hasnt got this yet i 100% suggest you pick it up!

This album i must have listened to about 100 times on repeat, Even the last track and the first track merge perfectly together. Ending with his daughters music box then the first track starting with a music box sound. I Cant actually pick out a standout track because i cant!

Musically its on point and Slug shows some great songwriting......
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    stupot0607 wrote: »

He is outstanding on it, but Ant's not far behind, at all!! I can pick out my standouts though, personal favourite is Yesterday. I can relate to that track on a personal level, but the way that he delivered it was outstanding. You was a great track as well, the production was amazing on that one. But Dreaming, Your Glasshouse, In Her Music Box are the standouts for me…
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Options
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    Great thread Lou,

One of my favorite drops was Atmosphere - When Life gives you lemons. That album is one of the greatest hip hop albums ever. i even prefer it to my early tastes of Hip hop (Ready to die, Reasonable doubt). The Concepts & beats are amazing.

[IMG]http://img.noiset.com/images/album/atmosphere-when-life-gives-you-lemons-you-paint-that-? -gold-album-cover-14901.jpeg[/IMG]

"Like the Rest of Us" – 3:20
    "Puppets" – 3:41
    "The Skinny" – 3:36
    "Dreamer" – 4:04
    "Shoulda Known" – 3:06
    "You" – 3:14
    "Painting" – 3:00
    "Your Glasshouse" – 3:58
    "Yesterday" – 3:23
    "Guarantees" – 4:32
    "Me" – 3:40
    "Wild Wild Horses" – 4:14
    "Can't Break" – 3:33
    "The Waitress" – 3:00
    "In Her Music Box" – 4:20

If anybody hasnt got this yet i 100% suggest you pick it up!

This album i must have listened to about 100 times on repeat, Even the last track and the first track merge perfectly together. Ending with his daughters music box then the first track starting with a music box sound. I Cant actually pick out a standout track because i cant!

Man ive listened to this album atleast 100 times also! probably my favorite atmosphere release. i knew with Family Sign that it was gonna be impossible to follow up WLGYL. Family sign was an alright album but nothing near Lemons. Good drop. my fave songs are..

Like The Rest Of Us
    Dreamer
    Your Glass House
    Yesterday
    The Waitress
    In Her Music Box

such an amazing album.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Ah man you should really check out Louis and JJ. they are too dope.
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The Minstrel Show - LB
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Options
    51ZHSSA6JAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another dope album i had on repeat since i first heard it!\

1218005591_chino1.jpg

and chino made me respect lyrics. i agree when he says "? a Punch Line, I write ? punch Rhymes"

almost every line in this album will leave you saying Damn! and has alot of deep songs. i think the only song i dont listen to on this is the song with the gravity click. every other song is pure fire tho.
  • 6ft5
    6ft5 Confirm Email Posts: 2,127 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Capitol Punishment I still catch things that I never noticed in Pun's verses
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Options
    6ft5 wrote: »
    Capitol Punishment I still catch things that I never noticed in Pun's verses

Ha i love that when you catch a metaphor or something you couldnt understand before. dope
  • micfiendsbro
    micfiendsbro Members Posts: 8
    edited September 2011
    Options
    9aGAu.jpg
    i know its too easy to go back to the classics but i truly never stopped listenning to this
  • salamerican1
    salamerican1 Members Posts: 714 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    51ZHSSA6JAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another dope album i had on repeat since i first heard it!\

1218005591_chino1.jpg

Hell to the yess "cuz every ? on my blawwk, can't stop, and it won't stop"

First time listening to lemons was one of the greatest experiences i've had in listening to hip hop. It showed a more mature, relaxed and concious as ever type slug

my other ones...

Tha carter IV- Lil' wayne
    Movies for the blind- Cage
    Goblin- Tyler the creator
    Encore- Eminem
  • DaedalianMaze
    DaedalianMaze Members Posts: 9
    edited September 2011
    Options
    220px-Picksickleshovel.jpg
    220px-Wu-Tang_Forever.jpg
    AqueminiOutKast.jpg
    2418605557-1.jpg

also T/S,,,Louis Logic and Jay Love"The OddCouple" was so much better than misery loves comedy IMO, some dope ass back and forth flows on that album foreal
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Options
    220px-Picksickleshovel.jpg
    220px-Wu-Tang_Forever.jpg
    AqueminiOutKast.jpg
    2418605557-1.jpg

also T/S,,,Louis Logic and Jay Love"The OddCouple" was so much better than misery loves comedy IMO, some dope ass back and forth flows on that album foreal

I thought odd couple was dope but there was a few skippable joints for me. i havent heard that album in years tho im gonna have to give that a new listen.
  • .Golden Monkey
    .Golden Monkey Members Posts: 15
    edited September 2011
    Options
    37059_MIA_Arular.jpg]
    album-illmatic.jpeg
    1296584207-toyo-y-moi-underneath-the-pine-album-art.jpg
    jdaveyalbumcover.jpg

Santana - Abraxas
    Gym Class Heroes - As Cruel As School Children
    The Clash- Give Em' Enough Rope
    Kelis - Kaleidoscope
    N*E*R*D - In Search of.. & Fly or Die
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I liked that Gym Class album, was cool back in the day
  • chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    that little stretch of like 4 skits in the middle of the album used to get on my nerves though lol.

doomfood.jpg
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The sloppy love jingles?!

i was in acting class and took all 4 of those and used it to do my monologue for my final in 9th grade haha. i got an A tbh
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The sloppy love jingles?!

i was in acting class and took all 4 of those and used it to do my monologue for my final in 9th grade haha. i got an A tbh

Hahaha did you happen to video tape it by any chance?!
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ok i got some in a few genres...

Deftones-All of their albums
    EPMD-Business never personel-had this since it came out when i was in the 6th grade. still holds the test of time
    Onyx-All We Got iz us-grimey NY hip-hop at its finest
    Blu&Exile-Below the heavens
    Josh Martienez & Sleep-The Chicharones-some dope hip-hop
    Grayskul-Deadlivers
    Bleeding Through-all their albums
    Slipknot-Iwoa
    Mudvayne-L.D 50
    Goldie-Timeless
    Cannibal ox-the cold vein
    Das Efex- dead serious
    Redman-wut thee album??,muddy waters
    Heltah skeltah-nocturnal
    tha dogg pound-dogg food
    and tons more jus cant think of right now.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Hahaha did you happen to video tape it by any chance?!

haha no way man. I didnt think i did too good. i had the most entertaining one tho haha.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Options
    6a010536846743970c015434e005fe970c-800wi

Also this album. when i first heard it i was blown away. had this on repeat for a couple months
  • CeZr
    CeZr Members Posts: 23
    edited October 2011
    Options
    K-os_exit.jpg
    Artist: K-Os
    Album: Exit!
    Release Year: 2002
    Label: AstralWerks

1. "Entrance" – 0:19 (Also known as "Intro". Spoken by John "Spider" Salley.)
    2. "Fantastique" – 2:52
    3. "EXIT (Call Me)" – 3:58
    4. "Heaven Only Knows" – 3:55
    5. "Superstarr part 1 (Yoshua's Song)" – 3:41 (Also known as "Superstarr Pt. 1".)
    6. "Freeze" – 3:54
    7. "The Anthem" – 4:22
    8. "Patience" – 3:48
    9. "Higher" – 3:42
    10. "Masquerade" [featuring Kamau] – 5:37
    11. "Follow Me" [featuring Red1] – 4:00
    12. "Superstarr part 2 (Babylon Girl)" – 3:26 (Also known as "Superstarr Pt. 2".)
    13. "Neutroniks" – 3:52
    14."Superstarr Pt. Zero" – 4:51
    15. "Heaven Only Knows (remix)" – 4:49 (Remixed by DJ Kemo)

Pretty dope album, alot of mellow tune's and kick back music. My favorite cut's off this is....

Track 3. Exit (call me)
    Track 5. Superstarr part 1 (Yoshua's Song)
    Track 8. Patience
    Track 9. Higher
    Track 12. Superstarr Part 2 (Babylon Girl)
    Track 14. Superstarr Pt. Zero
    Dope album from intro to extro.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Raphael Saadiq- Stone Rollin'
    Blackstar- Blackstar
  • CeZr
    CeZr Members Posts: 23
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Preciate to ya'll kat's, ya'll put me on to some dope albums, Im bumping the O.C. Jewelz joint right now, slick joint!
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2011
    Options
    CeZr wrote: »
    K-os_exit.jpg

Great post :tu

Check my artist of the month that I did on k-os, you'll probably like it :tu
    CeZr wrote: »
    Preciate to ya'll kat's, ya'll put me on to some dope albums, Im bumping the O.C. Jewelz joint right now, slick joint!

Great that it's making a difference :tu Solid thread, props Lou!