M.I.A. Assesses Lady Gaga

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
M.I.A. Assesses Lady Gaga

mia5-608x404.jpg

M.I.A. is on the April 7 cover of the NME (to be fair, there are nine other covers this week) as part of their special “The State Of Music Today” issue. Inside she discusses politics in music, what music’ll look like in ten years, and dresses down Coldplay and Lady Gaga. The kids at Oh No They Didn’t transcribed the piece, where she makes no less than three Gaga mentions, including this quotable: “None of her music’s reflective of how weird she wants to be or thinks she is. She models herself on Grace Jones and Madonna, but the music sounds like 20-year-old Ibiza music, you know?” More of M.I.A.’s disses below.

On record labels (and Lady Gaga):
Lady Gaga plugs 15 things in her new video. Dude, she even plugs a burger! That’s probably how they’re making money right now — buying up the burger joint, putting the burger in a music video and making loads of burger money.

On the importance of visuals in music (and Lady Gaga):
… it’s not like “Haus of Gaga” (laughs). Me blindfolded with naked men feeding me apples and ? .

On pop star mythology (and Lady Gaga):
… People say we’re similar, that we both mix all these things in the ? and spit them out differently, but she spits it out exactly the same! None of her music’s reflective of how weird she wants to be or thinks she is. She models herself on Grace Jones and Madonna, but the music sounds like 20-year-old Ibiza music, you know? She’s not progressive, but she’s a good mimic. She sounds more like me than I ? do!

She’s got a point on that last one. Pitchfork’s Ryan Dombal noticed it on this Wale track featuring Lady Gaga and her best M.I.A. impression:

She has more positive words for Sleigh Bells’s Alexis Krauss(of course):

Which artists are you excited about in 2010?
The new Sleigh Bells album epitomizes how kids are feeling in America – so much energy, but nothing to do with it. Everyone wants you to be an apathetic consumer over there, so it’s cool to have some weird discomfort going on. I like that Alexis [Krauss, vocalist] used to be a nice girl in a pop band that never made it. She followed every step an American child usually follows – singing in the mirror, wanting to be Britney Spears, etc. – so for her to arrive at this noisy place is interesting.

I guess you could make a point about M.I.A. living in glass mansions here. But in both the Spin article (linked above) and this NME interview, she’s been open to discussing her relationship with her label, her flirtations with selling-out (her words), and marrying into a billionaire family, pointing out, for example, that money from her $100,000 MTV private party gig went to building a school in Africa.

[Photo by Amrit Singh]

http://stereogum.com/332512/m-i-a-assesses-lady-gaga/franchises/wheres-the-beef/

Comments

• marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i like m.i.a but it's clear gaga has her feelin some kinda way..
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    M.I.A. is always ? mad at something. First she had a problem with Fergie ironically right after she was named the most successful artist of 2007, now it's Lady GaGa and Ke$ha when they're sitting on top of the game.

Lady GaGa's music and M.I.A.'s music sound nothing alike at all. LOL @ M.I.A. being innovative. M.I.A. is one of the most pretentious artists out there. GaGa is no genius, but M.I.A. typifies the superficial artist masquerading as someone substantive. SMH @ people still acting as if music is rocket science. GaGa never claimed to be making fine art or anything abstract...she always said it was JUST pop music.

And when is someone gonna ask M.I.A. why she sampled Nelly Furtado's style and swagger from the Get Ur Freak On Remix and tried to make a career out of it? She ain't got no right.
  • crazychic
    crazychic Members Posts: 179
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You ? !
  • dark outlaw
    dark outlaw Members Posts: 64
    edited April 2010
    Options
    She’s got a point on that last one. Pitchfork’s Ryan Dombal noticed it on this Wale track featuring Lady Gaga and her best M.I.A. impression:

That's because M.I.A. was on the original version. She got switched out with Gaga for w/e reason, and she just re-sang the chorus the same way M.I.A. did.
  • d-weezy
    d-weezy Members Posts: 82
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'm an M.I.A. fan but damn that's some hater ass ? .
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    M. I. A is good but despite my distaste for anything GaGa...

GaGa >>> MIA
  • j-slugga
    j-slugga Members Posts: 10
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Sounds like she's trying to use GaGa to get some extra buzz for her upcoming album.
  • bestmann
    bestmann Members Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I guess I lost the Pepsi Challenge… I seriously thought that M.I.A. was featured on Chillin until just now. I will admit I was a little high when I was listening to Wale’s songs but WTF!?! He even makes a reference to M.I.A. in the song. I will infer that the hook was first offered to M.I.A. and she turned it down. So, after Santigold, Rhianna, and Susan Boyle also turned it down, Wale bit the bullet and went to Lady Gaga. Fail (mostly on my part)!!!
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    M.I.A. Lady Gaga and Wale are all Interscope Artist so hearing that Gaga Replaced MIA on CHillin doesnt suprise me it was obvious from the jump that Gaga sounded almost exactly like MIA on that HOOK.
  • Ike_Turner
    Ike_Turner Confirm Email Posts: 173
    edited May 2010
    Options
    MIA is right and they need more artists to speak out against the machine behind the industry
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Ike_Turner wrote: »
    MIA is right and they need more artists to speak out against the machine behind the industry

MIA is part of the machine though perhaps the biggest in the biz... maybe that why she speaking out cuz shes not as big as Gaga for example.
  • Ike_Turner
    Ike_Turner Confirm Email Posts: 173
    edited May 2010
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    MIA is part of the machine though perhaps the biggest in the biz... maybe that why she speaking out cuz shes not as big as Gaga for example.
    thats the point. everyone that goes to the grammies is in. But somebody gotta speak out