What is YOUR great idea to fix the ECONOMY?

Options
onepunch
onepunch Banned Users Posts: 2,420
edited September 2011 in The Social Lounge
Seems as if everybody wants to criticize President Obama's methods of fixing the economy...I would like to know how you would get the economy back on track and reduce the unemployment rate....my idea is simple...

LEGALIZE MARIJUANA

This would bring immediate revenue and jobs...with low overhead and a ready made customer base...the benefits are endless...if maijuana was legalized i believe that every industry in the WORLD would reap the benefits...

Comments

• your flyness
    your flyness Members Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Get rid of payroll tax, and implement a Fair tax (I will even support a Flat tax). Lower the Corporate Tax, so more business will operate here rather than outsourcing to overseas.

Abolish the Minimum wage, that way the people who are under qualified and cant find a job, can find some as businesses will offer more position (you wont make as much, but a job is better than none. plus you can always get raises once you are in there)

Legalize Marijuana create a bi-annual business license to sell that is controlled by the state (not the federal govt). Fair tax will handle the revenue on the purchase side.

Legalize prostitution, create a semi-annual license (controlled by the state) just like if you are an exotic dancer or ? , in order to get that license have to go through the county board of health to go through a full check-up and be added to a database (thats confidential to the physician of course, except in ? breakouts or felonies)

Expand off-shore drilling, allow oil exploration in ANWR.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head for now. You can Probably tell I have a Libertarian point of view. Limited Government, More Personal Freedom. More State Control
  • onepunch
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Get rid of payroll tax, and implement a Fair tax (I will even support a Flat tax). Lower the Corporate Tax, so more business will operate here rather than outsourcing to overseas.

Abolish the Minimum wage, that way the people who are under qualified and cant find a job, can find some as businesses will offer more position (you wont make as much, but a job is better than none. plus you can always get raises once you are in there)

Legalize Marijuana create a bi-annual business license to sell that is controlled by the state (not the federal govt). Fair tax will handle the revenue on the purchase side.

Legalize prostitution, create a semi-annual license (controlled by the state) just like if you are an exotic dancer or ? , in order to get that license have to go through the county board of health to go through a full check-up and be added to a database (thats confidential to the physician of course, except in ? breakouts or felonies)

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head for now. You can Probably tell I have a Libertarian point of view. Limited Government, More Personal Freedom. More State Control

i agree with everything except the bolded.....this might have worked 50 years ago...but the cost of living today is too high to not have a minimum wage...even the minimum wage now is too low...if a cat is workinga job for $2 /hr...you better believe he gonna be stealing his ass off from the employer....legalizing prostitution is another great idea....as well as taxing strippers...
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited September 2011
    Options

I agree with all of it actually. If someone isn't making ? , then they should be happy with whatever they can get. Of course, if the rest were implemented it may not be necessary to eliminate minimum wage. Interesting though.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Raise taxes on the rich, stop wasting money on imperial crusades, stop giving away money to the financial sector... that would be a good start, or do the exact opposite like obama
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

I disagree with all of this, except legalizing marijuana

EDIT: and c/s legalizing prostitution too
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    onepunch wrote: »
    LEGALIZE MARIJUANA
    This would bring immediate revenue and jobs...with low overhead and a ready made customer base...the benefits are endless...if maijuana was legalized i believe that every industry in the WORLD would reap the benefits...
    won't fix the economy, but it's a start
  • rapbizla
    rapbizla Members Posts: 86
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Seriously, if we legalized and taxed the ? out of drugs, especially marijuana, it would make a huge difference!
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    War with Germany and Japan. Worked last time.
  • Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Ummmm. I don't know.... How 'bout we stop spending billions of dollars on this bogus war on terrorism for starters...?
  • tdoto88
    tdoto88 Members Posts: 751
    edited September 2011
    Options

none of this would jump start the economy
  • your flyness
    edited September 2011
    Options
    tdoto88 wrote: »
    none of this would jump start the economy

neither did a $787 billion Stimulus Bill ,a $410 billion Omnibus Appropriations bill and 2 QEs. At least what I type would eventually stabilized the economy, plus bring in all kinds of additional revenue. Those bill, and QE 1&2 didnt do anything
  • your flyness
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Also, end the war on drugs. Also when I said Legalize marijuana, I really meant end the prohibiton on ? (which would cover Marijuana anyway), then expand the use of it, in all production like when it was legal to do so (books, fuel, clothing, etc.)
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

Taking away minimum wage wont do ? and lowering the corporate tax wont do ? ... The problem with the economy is that there isnt balance between rich poor and middle class. Companies are going to out source jobs regardless.
  • _武赏_
    _武赏_ Members Posts: 22
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Capitalism has always been this way.

How can you fix a thing that was broken from its beginning?

Its a barbaric and primitive caveman commerce that perfectly fits the people who created it. Its colonialist compatible and it feeds on confusion corruption and calamity. The people who developed it is what needs fixing. If they had been fixed long ago we would not be dealing with thier problems today. We've spent too many years dealing with and dying because of their problems. I think we all know this is true. Lets deal with the root. They need help.

(If what I types a mystery...then you dont know the history.)

Given that...That there is no fixing the economy were trapped in. My solution would be to stop competing against eachother and to begin cooperating. When we compete the economy wins and the individual loses. When we cooperate the community wins and we take the power back. What Power am i referring to? The power to produce and provide happiness for ourselves. The power to eliminate the pursuit of happiness by working together.

The correct question would be "How can we fix ourselves within this economy?" or "How can we adjust ourselves so that the economy no longer exploits and destroys us?"
  • CJVisuals
    CJVisuals Members Posts: 350
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Great thread. I agree that legalizing marijuana is a start, and ending the unnecessary wars as well. On a side note, it would be interesting to see what would happen if marijuana was legalized. There are so many people who only smoke to look hard(for some strange reason) and don't actually use marijuana as an aid.
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    CJVisuals wrote: »
    Great thread. I agree that legalizing marijuana is a start, and ending the unnecessary wars as well. On a side note, it would be interesting to see what would happen if marijuana was legalized. There are so many people who only smoke to look hard(for some strange reason) and don't actually use marijuana as an aid.

Legalization of marijuana would have the same effects on the economy as alcohol did after prohibition. Shitloads of money and a booming market.

There are of course people who only smoke to look cool. But once it's legalized and regulated, there will still be a high demand and use of marijuana.
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    1. End all military prison industrial complex fraud waste and abuse.

A. Close all US military bases in Europe and Japan. We fought a war in these countries in over 50 years and for some reason we're spending millions a year to "protect our allies." At least the Romans and British had the common sense to ? and pillage the lands they occupied.

B. Stop building new weapon systems for wars we'll never fight. Lockheed Martin and Boeing have been ? the American taxpayer for decades.

C. Get rid of all no-bid governmental contracts and start prosecuting the heads of companies who engage in war-profiteering and politicians who facilitate it. ? Cheney had a serious conflict of interest by being a driving force for the war in Iraq and Afghanistan while still profiting from his former role at Haliburton.

D. End the business of prisons. The cost of running the court system and the social cost of locking up a higher percentage of our citizens than any other developed country is an excessive tax on all of us.

C. Reduce the police presence in all neighborhoods to a few officers who live in the community. Police don't stop crime. They clean up after it happens.

2. Raise the minimum wage. Republicans did a great job convincing the country that a rising tide lifts all boats. Unfortunately they were referring to yachts. We have a consumer driven economy. Put more money in the hands of the consumers. Bring the wealth gap back down to a reasonable level. Workers havent had a cost of living increase in more than 20 years.

3. Legalize Marijuana and tax it.

4. Reduce the cost of college education. Reduce government spending on primary education.

5. Tax the internet. There should be a sales tax on online shopping.

6. Fix our infrastructure. Roads, bridges, subways, power lines, schools, and hospitals are all in desperate need of repair and updating. How about we train all those prisoners locked up for non-violent drug offenses and put them into work-release programs fixing our archaic infrastructure. Same thing with the soldiers displaced from closing bases and ending unnecessary wars.

7. Update our power grid. Stop talking about wind and solar and start building those systems.

8. Require banks to absolve certain debts or reduce the interest to less than 6%. Student loans, minor credit card debts, jumbo and adjustable rate housing loans, car notes, etc.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    let the govt print their own money
  • tdoto88
    edited September 2011
    Options
    neither did a $787 billion Stimulus Bill ,a $410 billion Omnibus Appropriations bill and 2 QEs. At least what I type would eventually stabilized the economy, plus bring in all kinds of additional revenue. Those bill, and QE 1&2 didnt do anything

none of what you typed would stabilize the economy (besides legalizing marijuana & prostitution bc those are draining tax revenue..but legalizing those would definitely not even come close to solving our problems or put us on a right path) OR bring revenue (how does lowering and/or getting rid of taxes bring in revenue?...bc companies will hire more people? what makes you think they would hire more people instead of just paying out higher dividends & bonus packages to shareholders & CEOs?)

economists were screaming that the white house & fed were not being aggressive enough (the stimulus was too small to plug a hole to the tune of 2 trillion & the fed should target long term rates as well) .

What would put us on the right track in the short-term is:

A massive jobs or infrastructure program (in the tune of trillions.. we can borrow at 2% nominal & damn near 0% real) to not only create jobs, but also fix long term problems (crumbling infrastructure [roads, bridges, highways, schools, transits etc] which can affect the surrounding economic area.

The fed targeting inflation rates (say 4%) so firms start investing the trillions they are sitting on (why lower corporate taxes on profits when corporate profits AFTER taxes are at a 60 yr high) and provide relief to debtors that are underwater due to their mortgage. In addition to this, the fed can decrease the amount of interest it pays on reserves to discourage banks from parking their funds in the feds vault.

the Obama Admin can use Fannie & Freddie to guarantee underwater mortgages (so this will allow disadvantaged home owners to be able to refinance on more agreeable terms..) & provide mortgage relief to consumers strapped with debt. The Treasury can also do the same thing as well.

decrease the value of the dollar to increase the amount of exports relative to imports (again to create jobs, thus generating revenue & reducing the trade deficit at the same time). In addition this may lead to UK govt wanting to compete thus lowering the value of the pound & driving up exports which can be good for the global economy

the fed can target long term rates (QE3) to increase the appeal of big ticket items since people usually take out loans for these (cars, houses, house alliances such as a new stove or refrigerator).

End these two wars for obvious reasons.

Long term solutions:

Control health care costs, which the ACA kind of does but would be better with the public option

End these tax cuts & breaks to corporations (which have not even provided barely any positive economic impact)

Focus on unions & rebuild workers rights ie better wages, benefits etc (strong unions created the middle class we came to know..not "elimination of the minimum wage").

*EDIT*
    Stronger financial reform
    -Bring back the Glass-Steagall Act (or add those provisions to the Dodd-Frank Act)
    -require higher capital reserves for investment banks
    -decrease the leverage ratio. example from 100:1 to 50:1
    -allow the fed, sec to break up the largest banks that are systemically risky ie too-big-to-fail or too-systemic-to-fail
    -Impose a "financial transaction" tax on all speculative trading to decrease the incentives (and this will also bring in more tax revenue the govt can use to finance infrastructure projects).
    -Give independent authority to Consumer Financial Protection Agency
    -Give bigger budgets to regulatory arms of the govt (this can be done by diverting funds from the defense budget)
    -Allow the Fed, SEC to regulate credit default swaps

stronger environmental regulation
    -do everything republicans are against in this area

Basically these simple ideas... they may not all work well but it's better than doing nothing at all

Plus, i doubt you would even agree seeing as you are clearly libertarian and im clearly not.
  • onepunch
    edited September 2011
    Options

A. Close all US military bases in Europe and Japan. We fought a war in these countries in over 50 years and for some reason we're spending millions a year to "protect our allies." At least the Romans and British had the common sense to ? and pillage the lands they occupied.

B. Stop building new weapon systems for wars we'll never fight. Lockheed Martin and Boeing have been ? the American taxpayer for decades.

C. Get rid of all no-bid governmental contracts and start prosecuting the heads of companies who engage in war-profiteering and politicians who facilitate it. ? Cheney had a serious conflict of interest by being a driving force for the war in Iraq and Afghanistan while still profiting from his former role at Haliburton.

D. End the business of prisons. The cost of running the court system and the social cost of locking up a higher percentage of our citizens than any other developed country is an excessive tax on all of us.

C. Reduce the police presence in all neighborhoods to a few officers who live in the community. Police don't stop crime. They clean up after it happens.

2. Raise the minimum wage. Republicans did a great job convincing the country that a rising tide lifts all boats. Unfortunately they were referring to yachts. We have a consumer driven economy. Put more money in the hands of the consumers. Bring the wealth gap back down to a reasonable level. Workers havent had a cost of living increase in more than 20 years.

4. Reduce the cost of college education. Reduce government spending on primary education.

6. Fix our infrastructure. Roads, bridges, subways, power lines, schools, and hospitals are all in desperate need of repair and updating. How about we train all those prisoners locked up for non-violent drug offenses and put them into work-release programs fixing our archaic infrastructure. Same thing with the soldiers displaced from closing bases and ending unnecessary wars.

7. Update our power grid. Stop talking about wind and solar and start building those systems.

8. Require banks to absolve certain debts or reduce the interest to less than 6%. Student loans, minor credit card debts, jumbo and adjustable rate housing loans, car notes, etc.

alot of great ideas...
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    yeah, but we sort of need them to come through for us and start it
  • soohot59
    soohot59 Members Posts: 11
    edited September 2011
    Options
    onepunch wrote: »
    alot of great ideas...cartoons6.jpgcartoons7.jpgcartoons8.jpg

I think you are right!!
  • tdoto88
    edited September 2011
    Options

i agree with most of this except the bolded... spending on education is being slashed as we speak [or type in this case] & public school systems have gotten worse.. not better
  • tdoto88
    edited September 2011
    Options

why not just do a massive government spending program on infrastructure... after all, that what war is (besides the destruction of peoples lives)
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    tdoto88 wrote: »
    i agree with most of this except the bolded... spending on education is being slashed as we speak [or type in this case] & public school systems have gotten worse.. not better

Theres no evidence that spending more on education produces better results.