Ginuwine has beef with Timbaland!

Options
usmarin3
usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
Any student of the ’90s remembers the catchy hits that emerged from Timbaland’s early R&B work with the likes of Aaliyah, Missy Elliott and Ginuwine. The Virginia producer helmed the majority of Ginuwine’s 1996 debut, Ginuwine…The Bachelor, including the No. 1 hit “Pony.”

Years later, their relationship is now fractured, according to Ginuwine. But that doesn’t stop the singer from supporting his former mentor in VIBE’s Best Producer of All Time contest. Timbaland is the No. 1 seed, up against Polow Da Don in the first round in the Mass Appeal category.

“He really hasn’t been interested in working with me, so I can’t speak on the present,” Ginuwine tells VIBE of Timbaland. “But back in the days, it spoke for itself as far as him being the most sought after producer. Music was boring until he came out with that new sound. Back then, I would have described it as futuristic because it was something that had not been done and people jumped on it. If it wasn’t for him making that style as hot as it is, a lot of producers that’s out now maybe wouldn’t even be here.”

The singer adds that he’s still upset at Timbaland for not supporting him promotionally on his 2009 project, A Man’s Thoughts, despite producing a song for the album.

“Me and Tim were real close at one point. A lot of the times that I reached out, there were a bunch of excuses,” explains Ginuwine. “I begged and pleaded with him because I felt a certain way but I was like, is it just a bad vibe that I’m picking up on? Maybe I’m bugging out, I don’t know. But it came out to be true and I still feel like he owes me an apology for that. The reason I’m ? off at him now is because of what he did. I would’ve been cool and not bothered him if he would’ve said, ‘Nah, I’m too busy,’ or gave me the lame excuse like he’s been giving me. But don’t do it and then not do what you’re supposed to do [to promote the song].”

As for the producers battle, Ginuwine could see Polow having the edge in the first round, only because Timbaland has been leaning more pop lately. But Tim would still have to get past Jermaine Dupri and Swizz Beatz to go against the Neptunes in the final round of his category. Ginuwine thinks he can beat out the Neptunes.

“I would have to go with Tim. I’m still a man. I’m not gonna not say the truth just ’cause I’m mad at you. [Laughs] He’s one of the best producers ever to me,” says Ginuwine. “Pharrell actually came up behind him. And the only reason I said Polow [in the first round], I’m looking at it on a level of what’s out now. But as a whole, there’s no one that can touch Timbaland.”

While some have labeled Timbo a sell-out because of his recent work with pop stars like Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado, Ginuwine disagrees.

“I don’t know about the sold out thing. I think any smart businessman would go where the money is bigger, but I also feel like you don’t forget your roots either,” says Ginuwine. “You don’t alienate the people that helped you and started you out… What is it about me now that you just don’t like? And if it is something, say it. I can take truth. I can’t take that kind of stuff and right now I don’t really like him. I really don’t. That’s not being a man.”

Ginuwine is roughly 18 songs into his upcoming seventh album, Elgin, which he hopes to release this August. Producers include Bryan Michael ? and Diane Warren. “I did a great pop song, a great crossover song with her,” says Ginuwine. He’s also looking to hit the studio with Lil Kim, Trina, Ryan Leslie and the Underdogs. —Clover Hope

Comments

• middleman
    middleman Members Posts: 98
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Who gives a ? ? Genuwine wouldn't even have been as popular as he was if it wasn't for Timb. Get over it ? , your time has come and gone.
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Ironic thing is Shock Value 2 sold about as much as Ginuwines last album (170,000). lol How do you intentionally make a pop album with every a list pop artist and still flop?
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You can tell by the expression on Timb's face now, it's like he don't care about life no more!

Tim was without a doubt one of the most significant producers in the 90's, his squad Da Bassment was serious!

But now, it's like he don't even like doing what he does anymore, you can tell!
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    You can tell by the expression on Timb's face now, it's like he don't care about life no more!

Tim was without a doubt one of the most significant producers in the 90's, his squad Da Bassment was serious!

But now, it's like he don't even like doing what he does anymore, you can tell!

Timbaland and Missy spirit died when Aaliyah died imo.
  • Mr. R&B
    Mr. R&B Members Posts: 80
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Timbaland and Missy spirit died when Aaliyah died imo.
    I've thought/said that from day one.

I was probably the biggest Swing Mob/Gold Mind Inc. fan on the planet. I still consider myself to be. I'd buy every album. Aaliyah's, Ginuwine's, Missy's, Timbo's, Playa's, Nicole's, etc. They were making my kind of music; different, catchy, great production and, at times, dark. After Aaliyah died, you could tell ? wasn't the same anymore. Timbaland and Missy seemed to want to venture into other things, as to move on from that tragedy and not look back. Even if it meant not working with the same artists anymore. Guess it reminded them of the past.

And you could also tell there was a huge gap forming between Ginuwine and Timbaland. Timbaland went from producing entire Ginuwine albums, to producing one song on his album... Maybe. I also remember Ginuwine saying that his Back II Da Basics album was going to be him going back to his roots and that would involve Timbaland producing most of the album. Which, never happened. Timbo didn't produce ? and, in an interview, I remember Ginuwine saying there was a change of plans on Tim's part, or something to that effect. I was super disappointed. Fans were waiting for that one!

So, this is old news. However, it's nice to see Ginuwine confirm what I've been thinking/saying, all this time. I've always thought it was cool for Timbo to venture into different genres of music and work with various artists. He wanted to expand his work. That's growth. That being said, you should never forget your roots and should always make time for the people you've had great musical chemistry with. I expected Tim to at-least hook up with Ginuwine every now and again. They made some serious music. So good in-fact, Tim used the same formula on FutureSex LoveSounds, that he used for Ginuwine... The Bachelor (the whole song/interlude/beat switching). In my opinion, Ginuwine and Aaliyah brought the best out of Timbaland, and vice-versa.

I'd take a Timbaland/Ginuwine track over a Timbaland/? Cat Dolls or whatever-the-? track, any day.
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Mr. R&B wrote: »
    I've thought/said that from day one.

I was probably the biggest Swing Mob/Gold Mind Inc. fan on the planet. I still consider myself to be. I'd buy every album. Aaliyah's, Ginuwine's, Missy's, Timbo's, Playa's, Nicole's, etc. They were making my kind of music; different, catchy, great production and, at times, dark. After Aaliyah died, you could tell ? wasn't the same anymore. Timbaland and Missy seemed to want to venture into other things, as to move on from that tragedy and not look back. Even if it meant not working with the same artists anymore. Guess it reminded them of the past.

And you could also tell there was a huge gap forming between Ginuwine and Timbaland. Timbaland went from producing entire Ginuwine albums, to producing one song on his album... Maybe. I also remember Ginuwine saying that his Back II Da Basics album was going to be him going back to his roots and that would involve Timbaland producing most of the album. Which, never happened. Timbo didn't produce ? and, in an interview, I remember Ginuwine saying there was a change of plans on Tim's part, or something to that effect. I was super disappointed. Fans were waiting for that one!

So, this is old news. However, it's nice to see Ginuwine confirm what I've been thinking/saying, all this time. I've always thought it was cool for Timbo to venture into different genres of music and work with various artists. He wanted to expand his work. That's growth. That being said, you should never forget your roots and should always make time for the people you've had great musical chemistry with. I expected Tim to at-least hook up with Ginuwine every now and again. They made some serious music. So good in-fact, Tim used the same formula on FutureSex LoveSounds, that he used for Ginuwine... The Bachelor (the whole song/interlude/beat switching). In my opinion, Ginuwine and Aaliyah brought the best out of Timbaland, and vice-versa.

I'd take a Timbaland/Ginuwine track over a Timbaland/? Cat Dolls or whatever-the-? track, any day.

Been saying that ? forever, JT ran with Ginuwines style and threw some Prince and MJ there.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Been saying that ? forever, JT ran with Ginuwines style and threw some Prince and MJ there.

the formula may have been similar, but I can't picture Ginuwine singing songs like Summer Love, Lovestoned...the only song on that album that I can picture Ginuwine singing is Until The End of Time...
  • Mr. R&B
    edited April 2010
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    the formula may have been similar, but I can't picture Ginuwine singing songs like Summer Love, Lovestoned...the only song on that album that I can picture Ginuwine singing is Until The End of Time...
    We were comparing the formula TIMBALAND used to STRUCTURE both albums. Ginuwine and Justin's singing/vocal ability/style is a whole other topic.
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I was wondering what happend to "Get Involved" cause it was supposed to be his next single off of that album. But ? it, that was wack anyway. Ginuwine said it himself: "any smart businessman would go where the money is bigger". So maybe Timbo doesnt see any money working with Ginuwine anymore.

Im really worried about where the hell Magoo is at. That ? walked off the planet.
  • Mr. R&B
    edited April 2010
    Options
    He definitely ran with Ginuwine and Prince's style. Guess that's who is influences are.

Every time I hear "What Goes Around... Comes Around", I always say: This song is totally up Ginuwine's alley.
  • BlaqueHoney01
    BlaqueHoney01 Members Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Mr. R&B wrote: »
    He definitely ran with Ginuwine and Prince's style. Guess that's who is influences are.

Every time I hear "What Goes Around... Comes Around", I always say: This song is totally up Ginuwine's alley.

I think a lot of us have been saying Timbo gave JT Ginuwine's career. After tehy stopped working together, Ginuwine wasn't Ginuwine anymore. I would rather hear Ginuwine on Timbo's beat than JT. I still bump Ginuwine's album. "Only When You're Lonely" is one of my face jams.
  • Mr. R&B
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think a lot of us have been saying Timbo gave JT Ginuwine's career. After tehy stopped working together, Ginuwine wasn't Ginuwine anymore. I would rather hear Ginuwine on Timbo's beat than JT. I still bump Ginuwine's album. "Only When You're Lonely" is one of my face jams.
    Pretty much. JT was more relevant and marketable at the time. Timbo was all business.

I'm a 90s R&B head, so I still bump Ginuwine... The Bachelor (hence my custom title lmao), 100% Ginuwine, etc.
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    timbaland,should get back on the wagon with Ginuwine cause they made a good team

timbaland dont forget your roots bruh
  • LuckyFace
    LuckyFace Members Posts: 119
    edited April 2010
    Options
    “Me and Tim were real close at one point. A lot of the times that I reached out, there were a bunch of excuses. I begged and pleaded with him because I felt a certain way but I was like, is it just a bad vibe that I’m picking up on? Maybe I’m bugging out, I don’t know. But it came out to be true and I still feel like he owes me an apology for that. The reason I’m ? off at him now is because of what he did. I would’ve been cool and not bothered him if he would’ve said, ‘Nah, I’m too busy,’ or gave me the lame excuse like he’s been giving me. But don’t do it and then not do what you’re supposed to do [to promote the song].....

You don’t alienate the people that helped you and started you out… What is it about me now that you just don’t like? And if it is something, say it. I can take truth. I can’t take that kind of stuff and right now I don’t really like him. I really don’t. That’s not being a man.”

My personal feeling that it's all has been done for promotional purposes only. But I would take Timbas side. I think he could kick his ass

thumb_33c73918c52b733762b47a34e051e2f6.jpg