The fastest way to lose 10lbs

Options
MissLeading
MissLeading Members Posts: 3,316 ✭✭
edited November 2011 in The Weight Room
So I weighed myself yesterday and realized I've gained about 10 lbs since the beginning of the summer. Smh.. And now I want to lose it but I don't want to do the same ole calorie counting routine. That's boring and it doesn't motivate me at all so can anyone help me out?

What's the fastest way you guys lost weight without looking at your calorie intake? Were you able to maintain the weight loss?

Comments

• kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    So I weighed myself yesterday and realized I've gained about 10 lbs since the beginning of the summer. Smh.. And now I want to lose it but I don't want to do the same ole calorie counting routine. That's boring and it doesn't motivate me at all so can anyone help me out?

What's the fastest way you guys lost weight without looking at your calorie intake? Were you able to maintain the weight loss?

Juice fast. I'm on a 60 day fast and already after 2 weeks I've lost 24 lbs. No gimmick, no super pill, just a juicer from target or wal mart and fruits and veggies. Regular daily exercise for even faster results.
  • Hypernova
    Hypernova Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Watch for the glycemic index of foods.

-Don't eat any processed packaged foods. No fast foods or refined grain sources, sodas, pastries, or concentrated fruit juices
    -Eat only fresh fruits and vegetables (at least three servings a day)
    - Eat healthy meats, mainly fish and skinless poultry, lean beef, pork
    -Grains are inherently glycemic-the only whole grains I would suggest are long grain brown rice and oats if you want quick weight loss
    -Healthy fats from sources such as almonds walnuts unrefined olive oil(cold pressed)
    -Drink eight cups of pure weight daily.
    -Take Nordic Naturals fish oil

Exercises at least 30 minutes daily.

This may be difficult but you'll ? lose weight. :eek:
  • MissLeading
    edited September 2011
    Options
    No carbs, no salt, drink plenty of water, vigorous exercise.

I have to eat carbs cause I don't eat meat.
    kevmic wrote: »
    Juice fast. I'm on a 60 day fast and already after 2 weeks I've lost 24 lbs. No gimmick, no super pill, just a juicer from target or wal mart and fruits and veggies. Regular daily exercise for even faster results.

How was it the first couple of days? Did you feel like giving up? Also, will it deprive you of any essentials? I want to lose weight but I don't want to lose muscle.
  • MissLeading
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Watch for the glycemic index of foods.

-Don't eat any processed packaged foods. No fast foods or refined grain sources, sodas, pastries, or concentrated fruit juices
    -Eat only fresh fruits and vegetables (at least three servings a day)
    - Eat healthy meats, mainly fish and skinless poultry, lean beef, pork
    -Grains are inherently glycemic-the only whole grains I would suggest are long grain brown rice and oats if you want quick weight loss
    -Healthy fats from sources such as almonds walnuts unrefined olive oil(cold pressed)
    -Drink eight cups of pure weight daily.
    -Take Nordic Naturals fish oil

Exercises at least 30 minutes daily.

This may be difficult but you'll ? lose weight. :eek:

Lol. Thanks. It does look difficult but if I can get all my essential nutrients and have energy then I can try it. I need to kick my soda habit anyway. Have you done it before?
  • kevmic
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I have to eat carbs cause I don't eat meat.

How was it the first couple of days? Did you feel like giving up? Also, will it deprive you of any essentials? I want to lose weight but I don't want to lose muscle.

Not gonna lie...It sucked so bad!! You're in a ? mood with no energy, and you stay in the bathroom for the first few days. So I HIGHLY SUGGEST you start on a friday on into the weekend so you can just chill at the house. By the third or forth day you'll get use to it. After the first week, you won't even miss the food, and you'll feel awesome because it's also a great way to naturally detoxify your body...I didn't even know that part, but it only makes sense after I did more research on it.

The plus side to this is that you can actually eat real food for 2 days a week, and whatever you want too!! So I just go hard for Mon-Fri and I will eat what I want on the weekends. But since I'm use to the juice, fast foods and sweets don't even sound appetizing. You will have to get a fruit and vegetable chart to show you what foods will give you what nutrients, and what will substitute the foods you eat now. You can find those online, even your doctor should have one too.

Remember you're still eating food, just in liquid form, so you're really not losing much muscle if any at all and since it is in liquid form the protiens will actually go straight to your muscles faster. If you hate veggies this isn't for you, because every drink you have will have to have veggies in it, fruits is really just for taste. Except for at night, I'll make a fruit smoothie or just straight apple juice before I go to bed as a snack.
  • Hypernova
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Lol. Thanks. It does look difficult but if I can get all my essential nutrients and have energy then I can try it. I need to kick my soda habit anyway. Have you done it before?

Yes, I've done it, and it works very well. Here is what to eat in a more detail (Commonesensehealth) :
    What to eat
    Healthy Vegetables: Choose most often from the vegetables list. Go mainly for the brightest colored veggies with the most vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Focus on orange, red and dark green, like broccoli, kale, carrots, bell peppers, squash and tomatoes. Also use garlic and onions, which are great natural antibiotics that strengthen immunity and help prevent disease. 

Nutritious Fresh Fruits: From the fruits list, enjoy colorful fresh, frozen and (in limited amounts) dried fruit. Choose berries, oranges, peaches, apples, plums, cantaloupe, red grapes and other fruit low on the glycemic foods index, rather than juices or canned fruit.

Wholesome Whole Grains: Select brown rice, whole grain breads and pasta, oatmeal and other whole grain high fiber foods instead of refined grains, such as white bread and white rice. 

Fish, Poultry and Meats: For healthy high protein foods, choose poultry (without the skin), eggs, beans, nuts and seeds. Include omega 3 fish, like salmon, sardines and albacore tuna, at least twice a week. If you eat meat, pick lean cuts and limit portion sizes. 

Eggs and Low Fat Dairy: Choose only low-fat dairy products, such as fat free or low-fat milk, cheese and acidophilus yogurt. Limit your use of butter and eat no more than one egg a day. 

Beans, Nuts and Seeds: Legumes and beans, like lentils, split peas, soy and kidney beans are good sources of both protein and fiber. Add to soups, salads and other dishes. Healthy nut and seed choices of are unsalted almonds, walnuts, and sunflower seeds. Nuts are high in calories, so keep portions small. 

Essential Oils and Fats: Get high quality good fat and essential fatty acids from whole grains, olive oil, raw nuts and seeds, avocados and omega 3 fish. Use olive oil for salads, stir-frying and baking. To help with weight management, eat fats sparingly.
    What NOT to eat

Fruits and Vegetables: Eliminate deep-fried vegetables and vegetables served with butter, cheese or cream sauce. Avoid canned sweetened fruit, fruit juice (one cup has no fiber and as much as 10 teaspoons of sugar) and fruit toppings like whipped cream. 

Refined Grain Products: Cut out all refined grains, found in most breads, pasta, crackers and cereals and all pastries, such as doughnuts, cakes, pies, croissants, muffins, cookies, and snack foods like chips, buttered popcorn and many trail mixes. 

Nuts, Seeds and Beans: Stay away from fatty bean soups and chilies that include sausage, bacon or other high fat meats. And avoid nuts and seeds that are roasted in oil and salted. 

Meats, Fish and Poultry: Eliminate red meat high in saturated fats and other high fat meats like bacon, sausage, hot dogs, ribs, bologna, pepperoni, salami, pastrami and most hamburgers. Also avoid fried fish, chicken and turkey, plus poultry skin. 

High Fat Dairy Products: Avoid high fat cream, cream cheese, sour cream, whipped cream, ice cream, whole milk, 2% reduced fat milk and whole milk yogurt. Only use butter and full fat cheese in small quantities and eat no more than one egg a day.

Bad Fats and Most Oils: Limit saturated fats and eliminate all fried foods, foods containing trans fats, lard or the partially hydrogenated oils found in pastries, doughnuts, cakes, cookies, candy, microwave popcorn, French fries and most chocolate.

High Glycemic Sweets: Avoid concentrated sweets, like fruit juice and candy and sweetened foods, like sodas, bakery goods, prepared cereals, canned goods and most packaged foods.

• kevmic
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yes, I've done it, and it works very well. Here is what to eat in a more detail (Commonesensehealth) :
    What to eat
    Healthy Vegetables: Choose most often from the vegetables list. Go mainly for the brightest colored veggies with the most vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Focus on orange, red and dark green, like broccoli, kale, carrots, bell peppers, squash and tomatoes. Also use garlic and onions, which are great natural antibiotics that strengthen immunity and help prevent disease. 

Nutritious Fresh Fruits: From the fruits list, enjoy colorful fresh, frozen and (in limited amounts) dried fruit. Choose berries, oranges, peaches, apples, plums, cantaloupe, red grapes and other fruit low on the glycemic foods index, rather than juices or canned fruit.

Wholesome Whole Grains: Select brown rice, whole grain breads and pasta, oatmeal and other whole grain high fiber foods instead of refined grains, such as white bread and white rice. 

Fish, Poultry and Meats: For healthy high protein foods, choose poultry (without the skin), eggs, beans, nuts and seeds. Include omega 3 fish, like salmon, sardines and albacore tuna, at least twice a week. If you eat meat, pick lean cuts and limit portion sizes. 

Eggs and Low Fat Dairy: Choose only low-fat dairy products, such as fat free or low-fat milk, cheese and acidophilus yogurt. Limit your use of butter and eat no more than one egg a day. 

Beans, Nuts and Seeds: Legumes and beans, like lentils, split peas, soy and kidney beans are good sources of both protein and fiber. Add to soups, salads and other dishes. Healthy nut and seed choices of are unsalted almonds, walnuts, and sunflower seeds. Nuts are high in calories, so keep portions small. 

Essential Oils and Fats: Get high quality good fat and essential fatty acids from whole grains, olive oil, raw nuts and seeds, avocados and omega 3 fish. Use olive oil for salads, stir-frying and baking. To help with weight management, eat fats sparingly.
    What NOT to eat

Fruits and Vegetables: Eliminate deep-fried vegetables and vegetables served with butter, cheese or cream sauce. Avoid canned sweetened fruit, fruit juice (one cup has no fiber and as much as 10 teaspoons of sugar) and fruit toppings like whipped cream. 

Refined Grain Products: Cut out all refined grains, found in most breads, pasta, crackers and cereals and all pastries, such as doughnuts, cakes, pies, croissants, muffins, cookies, and snack foods like chips, buttered popcorn and many trail mixes. 

Nuts, Seeds and Beans: Stay away from fatty bean soups and chilies that include sausage, bacon or other high fat meats. And avoid nuts and seeds that are roasted in oil and salted. 

Meats, Fish and Poultry: Eliminate red meat high in saturated fats and other high fat meats like bacon, sausage, hot dogs, ribs, bologna, pepperoni, salami, pastrami and most hamburgers. Also avoid fried fish, chicken and turkey, plus poultry skin. 

High Fat Dairy Products: Avoid high fat cream, cream cheese, sour cream, whipped cream, ice cream, whole milk, 2% reduced fat milk and whole milk yogurt. Only use butter and full fat cheese in small quantities and eat no more than one egg a day.

Bad Fats and Most Oils: Limit saturated fats and eliminate all fried foods, foods containing trans fats, lard or the partially hydrogenated oils found in pastries, doughnuts, cakes, cookies, candy, microwave popcorn, French fries and most chocolate.

High Glycemic Sweets: Avoid concentrated sweets, like fruit juice and candy and sweetened foods, like sodas, bakery goods, prepared cereals, canned goods and most packaged foods.

After my fast, I'm definately gonna try this. Seems like a easy transition based on what I'm eating now.

Awesome Avi pic BTW!!
  • Hypernova
    edited September 2011
    Options
    After my fast, I'm definately gonna try this. Seems like a easy transition based on what I'm eating now.

Awesome Avi pic BTW!!

Good luck my brother. If you stay consistent, you will lose weight very quickly.

Hulk smash, lol
  • Emerald City Rolla
    Emerald City Rolla Members Posts: 564
    edited September 2011
    Options
    No offense, but you need to watch what you eat and count calories to some degree if you want to lose weight. You gained that 10 lbs cause you weren't adding stuff up and no crash diet is going to help you in the long run. In fact, it'll prolly make you prone to weight gain. The diet guidelines above me are good, but unless you know what your body needs, then eating healthy doesn't mean spit if you're trying for a specific goal. 1-2 lbs a week, which is 500-1000 cals BELOW maintenance levels is healthy, after that you're probably putting yourself into a starvation mode where the additional weight loss will be muscle and other lean tissues and anytime you have some surplus calories, it will get converted into fat.

It does require some monitoring on your part, but at that rate you should be trim in 1-2 months and maintaining a certain weight is ALOT easier than trying to gain or lose.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Cut out a meal and do an hour of cardio 5 times of week.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

There is no magic way. You have to create a deficit. Even by not "counting calories" you're counting calories.

Also, what's the rush to lose it? Don't worry about the fastest way, worry about the healthiest way for you long term. Think about it like this right. Between now and december, that time is gonna pass by ANYWAYS, so why not eat well and go to the gym? You might even lose more than the 10 and start transforming your body.

And ignore the "no carbs" thing. You don't need to go keto for that little weight. Just create a deficit. A great place to start is to multiply your weight by 10 pounds to calculate BMR and subtract 500 calories. Or eat at BMR, and do 30 minutes of HIIT daily with a nice weight routine.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    cut your arm off duh
  • chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    cut your arm off duh

Or get an abortion in the 9th month.......
  • Just2C
    Just2C Members Posts: 931 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ? and Water diet with some fruit so you wont die of starvation
  • MissLeading
    edited September 2011
    Options
    There is no magic way. You have to create a deficit. Even by not "counting calories" you're counting calories.

Also, what's the rush to lose it? Don't worry about the fastest way, worry about the healthiest way for you long term. Think about it like this right. Between now and december, that time is gonna pass by ANYWAYS, so why not eat well and go to the gym? You might even lose more than the 10 and start transforming your body.

And ignore the "no carbs" thing. You don't need to go keto for that little weight. Just create a deficit. A great place to start is to multiply your weight by 10 pounds to calculate BMR and subtract 500 calories. Or eat at BMR, and do 30 minutes of HIIT daily with a nice weight routine.

I want to do it fast because I'm impatient and I don't want to wait 3 months for results. I'm 133 now and I don't want to go lower then 120 or else I'll start looking emaciated.

I did that calculation as you said and came up with 830 calories. That seems really low. Everytime I've tried losing weight I've counted calories. I'm tired of going that way. I want to do something easy and doesn't require me to monitor my food intake in that way.
  • MissLeading
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Not gonna lie...It sucked so bad!! You're in a ? mood with no energy, and you stay in the bathroom for the first few days. So I HIGHLY SUGGEST you start on a friday on into the weekend so you can just chill at the house. By the third or forth day you'll get use to it. After the first week, you won't even miss the food, and you'll feel awesome because it's also a great way to naturally detoxify your body...I didn't even know that part, but it only makes sense after I did more research on it.

The plus side to this is that you can actually eat real food for 2 days a week, and whatever you want too!! So I just go hard for Mon-Fri and I will eat what I want on the weekends. But since I'm use to the juice, fast foods and sweets don't even sound appetizing. You will have to get a fruit and vegetable chart to show you what foods will give you what nutrients, and what will substitute the foods you eat now. You can find those online, even your doctor should have one too.

Remember you're still eating food, just in liquid form, so you're really not losing much muscle if any at all and since it is in liquid form the protiens will actually go straight to your muscles faster. If you hate veggies this isn't for you, because every drink you have will have to have veggies in it, fruits is really just for taste. Except for at night, I'll make a fruit smoothie or just straight apple juice before I go to bed as a snack.

How long would recommend I do this? I think it'll be a good way to jump start my diet but I don't know if want to do it for weeks. Based on the responses I was thinking of doing your juice fast for a week and then continuing on with Koby's diet suggestion. See how that works.
    What to eat

I definitely want to try this and see if it works for me. Thanks.
  • MissLeading
    edited September 2011
    Options
    No offense, but you need to watch what you eat and count calories to some degree if you want to lose weight. You gained that 10 lbs cause you weren't adding stuff up and no crash diet is going to help you in the long run. In fact, it'll prolly make you prone to weight gain. The diet guidelines above me are good, but unless you know what your body needs, then eating healthy doesn't mean spit if you're trying for a specific goal. 1-2 lbs a week, which is 500-1000 cals BELOW maintenance levels is healthy, after that you're probably putting yourself into a starvation mode where the additional weight loss will be muscle and other lean tissues and anytime you have some surplus calories, it will get converted into fat.

It does require some monitoring on your part, but at that rate you should be trim in 1-2 months and maintaining a certain weight is ALOT easier than trying to gain or lose.

No offense taken and I do understand I need to watch what I eat but I've done the calorie counting many times and if I can get to the point of maintaining my weight while sticking to the eating plan I want to create for myself then I think it's important I stick to plan that feels natural and doesn't seem like a diet.

Ive done the starvation diet too and I'm definitely done with that. I think trying what the juice diet then changing it to more healthy selections of good without worrying about the calorie count will work best for me.

What do you think?

Maybe I should have said the best way to lose weight without counting calories.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I want to do it fast because I'm impatient and I don't want to wait 3 months for results. I'm 133 now and I don't want to go lower then 120 or else I'll start looking emaciated.

I did that calculation as you said and came up with 830 calories. That seems really low. Everytime I've tried losing weight I've counted calories. I'm tired of going that way. I want to do something easy and doesn't require me to monitor my food intake in that way.

There's no magic bullet. There's no "easy" way. Anyone who tells you different is a liar. Your BMR is closer to 1400. I would eat at that rate or a little higher, and create a workout routine. That way you're not starving yourself, but you're still at a deficit. If you weigh yourself and you're losing more than 1-2 pounds(I would even say closer to 1) I would up my calories. I wish there was an "easy" way, but even weight watchers and those programs have you watch calories, just in a more relateable way. You don't even have to count macros, just try to eat lean proteins, fruits and foods high in fiber, drink lots of water, and you can even designate a day where you eat what you want for real. One day of bad eating a week won't ? you. A couple days in a row, you ahve a problem. but it takes 48 hours for excess calories to get stored as fat, so as long as you stay within your limit during the week you won't gain and honestly, your progress shouldn't even be impeded that much.

But if you're looking for an "easy" buy one of those ? products on tv. Cuz unless you're willing to have the patience and wanna workout A. you weight is gonna always yo-yo, and B. you'll never develop the healthy habits you need to stay at the weight you want.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    edited September 2011
    Options
    No offense taken and I do understand I need to watch what I eat but I've done the calorie counting many times and if I can get to the point of maintaining my weight while sticking to the eating plan I want to create for myself then I think it's important I stick to plan that feels natural and doesn't seem like a diet.

Ive done the starvation diet too and I'm definitely done with that. I think trying what the juice diet then changing it to more healthy selections of good without worrying about the calorie count will work best for me.

What do you think?

Maybe I should have said the best way to lose weight without counting calories.

Just don't be a maniac. I've tried to lose weight before. where if I ate something fried or something i would beat myself up mentally. You gotta remember it's just food. That's all it is is ? ' food. Today at work I ate 2 cupcakes. before I would be like "oh man, I shouldn't have eaten those." but now a ? like "damn, that funfetti was bomb as ? ."

Even if you workout and eat healthy 50% of the time you'll be healthier than 90% of the country.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I've done the fruit fast but I am about to do that juice one. Not to lose weight but it really is like a detox.
  • kevmic
    edited September 2011
    Options
    How long would recommend I do this? I think it'll be a good way to jump start my diet but I don't know if want to do it for weeks. Based on the responses I was thinking of doing your juice fast for a week and then continuing on with Koby's diet suggestion. See how that works.

I definitely want to try this and see if it works for me. Thanks.

Like I said I'm doing the 60 day fast. So I'm going in for two months. But you will see quick results only after a few weeks of doing it. Also, include regular daily excercise but don't over do it. 30-45 minutes a day is all you really need.
  • kevmic
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I've done the fruit fast but I am about to do that juice one. Not to lose weight but it really is like a detox.

Trust...It will clean you the ? out!! LOL
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Cut out a meal and do an hour of cardio 5 times of week.

Bold is a great plan. To not make it boring, alternate between elliptical, bike, and treadmill.
    cut your arm off duh
    Just2C wrote: »
    ? and Water diet with some fruit so you wont die of starvation

• Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    If you like the treadmill, work your way up to a fast speed, but no more than a 3 incline because your legs will fatigue fast if you go higher than a 3 incline. I can tell you this because it worked for me. Other day I started at 5.0 speed, 3 incline and by 40 minutes, I burned a shade over 700 calories. Weighed myself at the end of my workout, and I lost 2.9 pounds
  • Idi Amin Dada
    edited September 2011
    Options
    If you like the treadmill, work your way up to a fast speed, but no more than a 3 incline because your legs will fatigue fast if you go higher than a 3 incline. I can tell you this because it worked for me. Other day I started at 5.0 speed, 3 incline and by 40 minutes, I burned a shade over 700 calories. Weighed myself at the end of my workout, and I lost 2.9 pounds

You don't actually believe you lost 3 pounds do you? Cuz that would be 10,500 Kcalories Also, when you burn 700 calories at the gym, it's not immediate. YOu're burning the calories you've ingested that day.