Options
churchboy2
churchboy2 Members Posts: 477
edited May 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
with an allstar band including Randy Jackson

Your thoughts?

MJB performs Stairway to Heaven on the Oprah Winfrey Show

Related Yahoo Background Article:
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hiphopmediatraining/253526/mary-j-blige-says-u2-cover-inspired-led-zeppelin-remake/?page=2#comments

Comments

• churchboy2
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Mary J. Blige's international release of Stronger With Each Tear includes covers of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven," and "Whole Lotta Love." Blige will discuss the remakes on Oprah Tuesday..

In February, Blige recorded "Stairway To Heaven" with an all-star ensemble of musicians. Travis Barker played drums. Steve Vai and This Is It newcomer Oranthi were on guitar. Geffen Records chairman Ron Fair played piano, and American Idol judge Randy Jackson, who assembled the band, handled bass..

Blige said she wanted to remake a Zeppelin classic as a bonus for her overseas release. "Ron Fair and myself and my label all were brainstorming about what is the next big rock 'n' roll record that Mary can take on for the U.K.," Blige said in a behind-the-scenes video about the song. "I remember doing 'One' for the Breakthrough album and everyone really receiving it and loving it."
  • churchboy2
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • inia
    inia Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I went with "It's ok, but still not my speed." They shoulda changed up the arrangement to fit the so-called MJB style. They hardly touched up the original and her vocal did nothing to make it into her own. She just sang the way she knows, and that's just it.
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I think she killed it!
  • tab58064
    tab58064 Members Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I went with the harsher than I liked option of "I'm still not feeling the happy Mary Blige... " Personally I simply liked her music much better when she was going thru some ? . Not that I want her to go thru that again just to bring music with that sound & feel again, but the ? that she's been putting out over the last few years is not that impressive to me at all. I still feel that Share My World was Mary's last great album.
  • churchboy2
    edited May 2010
    Options
    LOL @ Tab sneakin' lines of white powder into Mary's dressing room...
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Mary just can't sing to me...at all.