Afro-science fiction/fantasy

Options
The_African
The_African Members Posts: 174
edited April 2010 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Am I the only one who wishes there were more Black sci-fi/fantasy novels. I love Octavia Butler, why aren't Black people more into this genre? I would love to read a modern fantasy/sci-fi novel that takes place in an African country.

Comments

• The_African
    The_African Members Posts: 174
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    This is far from what you are looking form but there us a book Series called Charlie Bone. One of the main characters is black, and he ask African Tribal powers are something. The books are about the decadents of the of the Red King. It's never directly said, but it's hinted that the Red King originated in Africa. I read these books when I was younger, so if you don't mind young adult fantasy, you might enjoy them.
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It's not really profitable to be honest.
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It's not really profitable to be honest.

Yeah, black people ain't trying to read that ? , and white people don't want to red stories involving a bunch of black people. Actually, I take that back. It can be done, but it has to be done properly.
    The author will have to ease them gently into the story, and casually mention the fact throughout the storyline.
  • still-SBP
    still-SBP Members Posts: 898 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You talkin like a Lord of the Rings in the Congo or Sudan or something like that??
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    still-SBP wrote: »
    You talkin like a Lord of the Rings in the Congo or Sudan or something like that??

rofl I laughed
  • The Notorious B.I.G.
    The Notorious B.I.G. Members Posts: 293
    edited April 2010
    Options
    cool_story_bro2.jpg
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    There was suppose to be some kind of series involving Kemet... but I agree, it would be kind of nice to see more Afro Science fiction/fantasy... if done correct
  • still-SBP
    still-SBP Members Posts: 898 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    There was suppose to be some kind of series involving Kemet... but I agree, it would be kind of nice to see more Afro Science fiction/fantasy... if done correct

I think they should've been done this.I should be like Rome on HBO.
  • thenatureboy
    thenatureboy Members Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The sci-fi would probably be an easier sell than fantasy.
  • bscoop
    bscoop Members Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    still-SBP wrote: »
    I think they should've been done this.I should be like Rome on HBO.

They do have one....its called Oz

Actually they have 2....the other is The Wire
  • ra-mes1
    ra-mes1 Members Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    And I don't buy that it's not profitable (Beloved notwithstanding)....people just don't think it will be so there's difficulty in getting funding. But Octavia Butler, Tannanarive Due, Stephen Barnes, Nnedi Okafor, Ben Okri....all have pretty big literary followings and have produced works which could (SHOULD) be successfully adapted to the big (or even small) screen. I would love, for example, to see a mini-series based on Butler's "Parable of the Talents."

Some years ago, Blair Underwood had done principal photography to begin Due's "My Soul To Keep" but it never got off the ground.