How can anyone argue for less government?

Options
getchamoneyrigh
getchamoneyrigh Members Posts: 506
edited April 2010 in The Social Lounge
When because of less government we the people are now owned by for-profit businesses. This is not just our country but most of the world. Corporations (most started in America) now control ever facet of our lives to a degree. I would argue that we have had less government than any time in our history. Or, I could argue we have are controlled by a type of government more than any time in history, it's name is corporation.

5 food companys control all of our food, even down to the genetically modified plant seeds that are used.
Few banks control our money
Corporations control your entertainment (possibly besides sex), than again......
Corporations control your income
Corporations control your behavior.
Corporations control who is in charge of your "government".

I do not know an alternative, and doubt that there can be anything to do about this. Or even, if anyone would want it to stop. Maybe we like this coporate controlled world we live in. I just thought I would write a small essay and discuss this issue after learning about the whole goldman mess.

Comments

• tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    When because of less government we the people are now owned by for-profit businesses. This is not just our country but most of the world. Corporations (most started in America) now control ever facet of our lives to a degree. I would argue that we have had less government than any time in our history. Or, I could argue we have are controlled by a type of government more than any time in history, it's name is corporation.

5 food companys control all of our food, even down to the genetically modified plant seeds that are used.
    Corporations control your entertainment (possibly besides sex), than again......

I do not know an alternative, and doubt that there can be anything to do about this. Or even, if anyone would want it to stop. Maybe we like this coporate controlled world we live in. I just thought I would write a small essay and discuss this issue after learning about the whole goldman mess.

Because Big Government and corporations are not the solution, they are the problem and we need smaller government and more of our freedoms.
    and this is why I Support Ron Paul.
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Meh, I'll come back Monday and destroy this thread. Too ? right now.

Peace.
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Aaahh ? it.
    Wouldnt happen in a free market. The food companies have some of the biggest lobbying blocks in Washington (even bigger than the military industiral complex). The Department of Agriculture has made it possible for companies like Tyson to control our food intake.
    Again, in a true free market this would not be. The Federal Reserve, tens of thousands of pages of regulation, and the U.S. government has made it almost impossible for banks to face competition. When was the last time you saw a new bank pop up? In a true free market, me and you would be able to get together and start a community banks, serve our community and make smart investments. Banks hate competition which why they love the government.
    Sure they do, state controlled media, they tell us what is appropriate for our kids to watch, and they make it expensive for the public to access AIR, look at what the FCC does. Look at the music industry. In a true free market there would be no intellectual property laws, no RIAA. They could not sue for the distribution of music. Music would be distributed freely without the fear of imprisonment or fines.
    No they dont, you do. What your a paid is negotiated by you and what you choose to sell your labor for. The government takes part of that to finance itself, YOUR labor! That itself is immoral.
    How so, and individual makes his own choices. The only way corporations control you is through the power of government.
    Very true. This would not happen in a Republic and with a small and limited government held bound by it's constitution and the people. WE have allowed government to be taken over by corporations. There should be NO lobbyist in DC, period. The BIG government that you favor, is the biggest contributor to corporation empowerment.
  • getchamoneyrigh
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tupacfan35 wrote: »
    Because Big Government and corporations are not the solution, they are the problem and we need smaller government and more of our freedoms.

Smaller govt? Is this not what this thread is about. Ron Paul was quick to endorse Reagan endorsing him. Remember?
    Aaahh ? it.

I agree with almost everything you have said. Except this is not a free market, capitalism is facism. So, really we have two choices in reality. I hope you make the right choice my friend and side with the left. Because only with the left will you see progress toward the middle. The right will lead you toward the far right and we will never go back. I think you have seen this, I think you have come more toward my side through the years. If not, we still agree on many things, and if not we agree on the end goal.
  • getchamoneyrigh
    edited April 2010
    Options
    BMR, I disagree on many of your statements, especcially on behavior. I will touch on them at a later time.
  • tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Smaller govt? Is this not what this thread is about. Ron Paul was quick to endorse Reagan endorsing him. Remember?

I agree with almost everything you have said. Except this is not a free market, capitalism is facism. So, really we have two choices in reality. I hope you make the right choice my friend and side with the left. Because only with the left will you see progress toward the middle. The right will lead you toward the far right and we will never go back. I think you have seen this, I think you have come more toward my side through the years. If not, we still agree on many things, and if not we agree on the end goal.

Both the controlled left/right paradigm are bought and owned by the bankers and the corporate elite.
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited April 2010
    Options

does this include running your own school district, police force and post office?
    what freedoms do you need?
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Less Government = More Monopolies
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Funky Dr wrote: »
    Less Government = More Monopolies

Funniest statement in thread.
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Funniest statement in thread.

how so? Increased government regulation broke the monopolies that had a strangle hold on businesses back in the early 1900's. Without government regulations they would have created kingdoms out of businesses.
  • elhuey
    elhuey Members Posts: 156
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Aaahh ? it.
    yeah lobbyist are the problem. but it seems like every ideology thinks they'll get exactly what they want if lobbyist were eliminated.
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Funky Dr wrote: »
    how so? Increased government regulation broke the monopolies that had a strangle hold on businesses back in the early 1900's. Without government regulations they would have created kingdoms out of businesses.

Biggest falsehood argued against free markets.

Lets talk about government created monopolies.

GE, and company that should be out of business right now and would not survive without its huge group of government backers. Look at what they did with the incandescent light bulb, they got the government to pass a law to make it illegal to own one by 2016, you will have to have one of those GE made swirly light bulbs, that they have exclusive right to. Not to mention the government loans they've received (do you know they paid 0 taxes for 2009?

The big banks - Not a single regulation is written without consulting with the big banks (JP Morgan, Goldman, BofA, etc. These banks actually love regulation because they hate competetion, and regulations ? competition and strengthens the ones at the top. There for if me and you wanted to start a bank or investment firm, it would be damn near impossible for us to afford the regulations, these big banks have economies of scale so its no problem. Congress creates loop holes for these banks to stay in power.

In a free market there would be monopolies, but they would only exist if the provide a superior product or service, unlike government create monopolies that provide inferior products. A monopoly in a free market would only exist because they provide a produce or service that people like. Government monopolies are created through corruption, lobbyist, govt central planning and cronyism.
  • edeeesq
    edeeesq Members Posts: 511
    edited April 2010
    Options

BMR, I disagree on many of your statements, especcially on behavior. I will touch on them at a later time.

Did you just contradict yourself in a matter of minutes.
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Also, Copyrights and Patents are another government created monopolies.
  • getchamoneyrigh
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Both the controlled left/right paradigm are bought and owned by the bankers and the corporate elite.

You just contradicted yourself. You want smaller gov't so that corporations can have more freedom, yet you argue that corporations control the political parties. Hmm.... Kinda my point of the thread.

CMR I will see respond to your answers soon, I just got back from a small vacation.