What is wrong with today's Black music?

Options
waynefan
waynefan Members Posts: 129
edited October 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I mean back in the day you had jazz to swing to Rhythm and blues to motown/soul and up until the mid 1980's but todays rappers and singers are pitiful.Evolution dont always mean good but the 1990's were no better as far as music it was a little over sexual like TLC and stuff like that but what happened to good black music like from the Motown era?

Comments

• genocide_cutter
    genocide_cutter Members Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    "Why today music not as good?"

"Have you looked for music outside of tv and commercial radio?"

"No, I don't have time for all that"

"............"

close thread
  • Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nah, music in the 90's was a TRILLION times better than music today... Now, nobody can sing, they don't dance no more and nobody plays instuments... PATHETIC...
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

"............"

close thread
    This .
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

"............"

close thread

• iphucq
    iphucq Members Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    its not black, white execs grrenlight white/blk music........the softest rappers are the 1's on top now and KANYE WEST is like the hardest commercial ? , really? KANYE WEST?

kanye_west_leopard_print_jacke.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • Focal Point
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • Focal Point
    edited September 2011
    Options
    iphucq wrote: »
    its not black, white execs grrenlight white/blk music........the softest rappers are the 1's on top now and KANYE WEST is like the hardest commercial ? , really? KANYE WEST?

kanye_west_leopard_print_jacke.jpg

what's the underline got to do with making good music???
  • Focal Point
    edited September 2011
    Options
    there's some good music out there to be found
  • BitchIWillSlapU
    BitchIWillSlapU Members Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    the problem with Black Music...ESPECIALLY HIP HOP'

is that they are trying...and to a certain extent have already made "IGNORANCE COOL"

The Music Industry has been dumb downed A LOT since...well lets be honest...THE RISE OF THE SOUTH! You don't even need to rap about anything, just say and repeat a catching hook and you have a HIT

While Artist who do Rap about something gets NO AIR PLAY on Terrestrial Radio or on BET
  • DaConcierge
    DaConcierge Members Posts: 101
    edited September 2011
    Options
    music is like the nba now..

Potential but not enuff talent.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    its not black, thats what is wrong
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Good soul music is out there, believe me, I have it on my ipod. 90s and 2000s to current artists. If you need any suggestions, hit me up
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    No soul!

It's gon...vamoose!

Soulful music, is now insulting.

The music industry rules have changed, now, that those who "own it" are req'd to throw that in your face. Therefore anything that those who own it, can't do, is then deemed as insulting or unacceptable. And since Black people are the only experts at making soulful music, then....it's unacceptable, disallowed, and frowned upon.

AND THERE'S THE ANSWER, NO SOUL.......? DONE BELIEVE THE WHITE MAN and it's a party now. ? DONT SANG FROM THE GUTS NO MORE, THE LAST GREAT SOUL ARTIST WAS 2PAC
  • Bodhi
    edited September 2011
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    AND THERE'S THE ANSWER, NO SOUL.......? DONE BELIEVE THE WHITE MAN and it's a party now. ? DONT SANG FROM THE GUTS NO MORE, THE LAST GREAT SOUL ARTIST WAS 2PAC

top 10 pac songs
  • Bodhi
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'm not talkin about old soul music. I'm saying that there are good soul artists creating good soul music today. The OP mentioned soul. I'm confused about your post
  • Bodhi
    edited September 2011
    Options
    judah7 wrote: »
    if you cant notice that something is wrong wit todays black music then u are blinded.

yeah in the mainstream but there's plenty of underground soul artists stickin true to the artform. You're insulting the true artists by generalizing and rounding everybody up into one box and saying there's something wrong with all black music right now. There's a problem, yes, but it's in a specific place.
  • Bodhi
    edited September 2011
    Options
    judah7 wrote: »
    the white man has no soul and he controls the music industry. so they only sign certain dumbed down artist that will do dumbed down music for money. they would prefer to sign someone like jaded rightesousness that dont notice whats going on in the world.

and you don't know me either. Maybe you don't know what's going on in the black underground. Maybe if you would focus on those artists instead of the ? in the mainstream, things would change for you. Music doesn't get any better or worse through time. The focus of the audience switches
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Now music is more personal. More people write their own songs now. Motown had a few people writing songs for everyone. They were excellent songwriters & now we let anyone dot it. Now people want to keep as much as the pie as possible putting out a lesser product is the result
  • Focal Point
    edited September 2011
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »

Seriously... I mean are you really that limited in your music
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

"............"

close thread

This right here. The question isn't 'What's wrong with the music?'. It's 'What's wrong with the consumer?' The answer? They're lazy. There is plenty of good ? out there. Same as always.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I came up in the new jack swing era. R. Kelly was that dude. ? what you heard. That music touched my soul. There is good stuff today. Who the hell has to listen to the Radio and be subjected to the ? anyway. Turn it off and make a playlist you ol tape deck listening dusty oldies ass ? . seriously.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    Seriously... I mean are you really that limited in your music

hmmmmmmmmmmmm let me see if im limited in my music, let me list a few albums that i have and im not including my hip-hop albums.

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
    Jose James - Black Magic
    Marvin Gaye - Hear my Dear.
    Muddy Water - Real Folk Blues
    D'Angelo - Brown Sugar, Voodoo
    Erkyah Badu - All her Jawns.
    Raphel Saddiq - Gospeldelic
    Nina Samone - High Vodoo priestess
    Thelonius Monk - Genius of Modren Music vol1
    David Ruffin, Jodeci, Mile Davis, Sly and the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, Mike Jax, Kool and the Gang (the early jazz years), sade, In Living Colur, Big Momma Thorton, Bob Marley, Bunny Wailer, Peter Tosh

I listen to Soul, Neo Soul, Jazz, Blues, hip-hop, Rock N Roll (Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Sly and The Family Soul, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin), Funk, R&B. My knowledge and taste reaches all over.

I got a whole lot of ? , and pay close attention to the words i said, I said (MPO) that 2pac is the last great Soul Arist, Not Soul Singer but Artist.

And oh yeah E.Badu's New Amerykah Part One (4th World War) is the best HIP-HOP album in 2008.

You name one artist that came from the soul and reach the people LIKE ALL GREAT SOUL ARTIST do like 2pac, the last Soul Artist that come to mind was Marvin Gaye from 71-78