Comments

• 2pacnbiggie
    2pacnbiggie Members Posts: 263 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Official Statement From DJ Premier

gang_starr_black2.jpg
    DJ PREMIER wrote:
    IT WAS A SAD DAY FOR ME TO GET CONFIRMATION ON THE DEATH OF A MAN WHO I WILL CONTINUE TO CALL MY BROTHER, KEITH ELAM, BETTER KNOWN AS GURU OF THE LEGENDARY GANG STARR.
    FROM 1988-2004, WE EXPERIENCED SO MUCH SUCCESS TOGETHER THAT WE WERE ABLE TO EXPAND OUR BUSINESSES INDEPENDENTLY AND GIVE EACH OTHER WHAT GURU CALLED “CREATIVE SPACE”, BEFORE PLANNING TO REUNITE FOR OUR 7TH LP WHEN THE TIME WAS RIGHT. TRAGICALLY, WE WILL NEVER REACH THAT DAY.

I’VE BEEN ASKED TO COMMENT ON A LETTER SPEAKING ILL OF ME WHICH WAS SUPPOSEDLY WRITTEN BY GURU IN HIS DYING DAYS. ALL I WILL SAY ABOUT IT IS THAT OUR TIME TOGETHER WAS BEAUTIFUL, WE BUILT A HIP HOP LEGACY TOGETHER, AND NO ONE CAN RE-WRITE HISTORY OR TAKE AWAY MY LOVE FOR HIM. ONE THING I WOULD NEVER DO IS PLAY AROUND WITH THE TRUTH ABOUT HIS LIFE.

I WILL CELEBRATE GURU’S LIFE… I WILL HONOR HIS MEMORY… I WILL GRIEVE WITH THE ELAM FAMILY OVER HIS UNTIMELY DEATH… I WILL REMEMBER THE GANG STARR FOUNDATION AND ALL OF THE ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF GANG STARR WHO CAME BEFORE ME – WE ALL KNOW EACH OTHER… MOSTLY, I WILL CHERISH EVERYTHING WE CREATED TOGETHER AS GANG STARR, FOREVER. I’M GONNA MISS HEARING HIS SIGNATURE MONOTONE VOICE WHEN HE WALKS IN THE ROOM, BUT THE SONGS WILL ALWAYS BRING IT BACK TO ME….HIS RHYME FLOWS WERE INSANE, AND I WILL NEVER REMOVE HIM FROM MY HEART AND SOUL…….REST IN PEACE TO THE MAN WHO FELT “SATISFACTION FROM THE STREET CROWD REACTION” … I LOVE YOU GOO…….DJ PREMIER

http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blogs/official-statement-from-dj
  • raw_dawg
    raw_dawg Members Posts: 21
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Check this out!!!!

http://diaryofahollywoodstreetking.com/the-real-solar-guru-gang-starr-story-rip-guru/#more-25725

The rap group “Gang Starr” was born in Boston, after Big Shug gave it life with partner Keith Elam now known as “Guru”. At that time Big Shug and Guru were faced with the financial hurdle of funding their studio sessions, so they came up with a plan to solve that obstacle with a robbery plan…that plan was for “Big Shug” to do the jack and “Guru” serve as the getaway driver, but that didn’t work. Know why? Because when “Shug” was doing the robbery, “Guru” ended up getting scared and took off. So, the robbery got muffled and “Big Shug” did a three-year sentence for robbery.

While “Shug” was in jail “Guru” moved to New York City. There, he ran into “DJ Premier” who just came from Houston Texas. Together, they formed the now legendary group known as “Gang Starr”.

Gang Starr was doing well, and when “Big Shug” returned from prison “Guru” and “Premo” were rightly breaking him off paper. But here’s something what you may not know (which I always knew) Guru, whose real name is Keith Elam, was a homosexual, and he started dating a well-known homosexual from Brooklyn New york named “DJ Solar”. Solar (real name John Barry Mo’Sher) ended up breaking up “Gang Starr” because he pulled Guru away from the talented “DJ Premier”, word is Solar wanted Guru all for himself. I know this because I used to book shows for “Guru & Solar” and dude use to beat on “Guru” I swear!!! I personally witnessed someone walking in on Solar giving Guru a proper beating behind closed doors.

Sources close to HSK were touring Europe with Guru, Solar, and DJ Doo ? & Kool Keith with Kutmasta Kurt in Fall 2005. At that time the groups had an extended week long stay in the Spanish Canary Islands off the coast of Africa. Guru happily lounged with Solar in his flip flops and swimming trunks downing Hennessy straight and snorting blow by the eightball. This is the same event where Kutmasta Kurt got his nose busted breaking up a fight between Kool Keith’s crew and a concert goer after the show. Matter of fact “Real Connections” still owes about 20,000 euros from that event.

Just this past February, Guru suffered a heart attack leaving him in a comatose state into March. That’s when Solar reportedly kept Guru’s family away from him, because he wanted full control. My sources even tell me that this “Solar” guy didn’t allow doctors to treat “Guru” properly.

When I woke up this morning, I heard the sad news that 43-year-old “Guru” had died yesterday (April 19. 2010), from cancer.

I went into complete silence, and said to myself “Life is too short.” Now, sources are telling me “Solar” is stealing royalties from the group “Gang Starr”. I guess “Solar” got “Guru” to sign over the rights to his name. To make matters worse, “Solar” is saying “Guru” left a letter to all his fans. He says in that letter (printed below), he (Guru) doesn’t want anything to do with his long time collaborator “DJ Premier” even in death…WTF!?!

This “Solar” guy seems to think we’re all a bunch of idiots. Because, “Guru” wouldn’t say any ? like that while on his death bed. “Guru’s” nephew has been speaking about this matter for a while now. Don’t believe me? Ask DJ Premier.

This may all sound harsh, but in fact Jacky and all HSK staff have a deep respect for Guru. One key component that separates Hollywood Street from any other industry blog is that we tell the truth no matter how much it may hurt or damage false images about an art we hold dear. Other sites would never report the truth rather they further perpetuate falsities.

Today I’ll remember Guru as I listen to the third “Gangstarr” album “Daily Operation”…I always liked the song “Take It Personal”. RIP GURU!!!

I won't say this is true but sure sounds likely!
  • purecomp
    purecomp Members Posts: 535
    edited April 2010
    Options
    raw_dawg wrote: »
    Check this out!!!!

http://diaryofahollywoodstreetking.com/the-real-solar-guru-gang-starr-story-rip-guru/#more-25725

The rap group “Gang Starr” was born in Boston, after Big Shug gave it life with partner Keith Elam now known as “Guru”. At that time Big Shug and Guru were faced with the financial hurdle of funding their studio sessions, so they came up with a plan to solve that obstacle with a robbery plan…that plan was for “Big Shug” to do the jack and “Guru” serve as the getaway driver, but that didn’t work. Know why? Because when “Shug” was doing the robbery, “Guru” ended up getting scared and took off. So, the robbery got muffled and “Big Shug” did a three-year sentence for robbery.

While “Shug” was in jail “Guru” moved to New York City. There, he ran into “DJ Premier” who just came from Houston Texas. Together, they formed the now legendary group known as “Gang Starr”.

Gang Starr was doing well, and when “Big Shug” returned from prison “Guru” and “Premo” were rightly breaking him off paper. But here’s something what you may not know (which I always knew) Guru, whose real name is Keith Elam, was a homosexual, and he started dating a well-known homosexual from Brooklyn New york named “DJ Solar”. Solar (real name John Barry Mo’Sher) ended up breaking up “Gang Starr” because he pulled Guru away from the talented “DJ Premier”, word is Solar wanted Guru all for himself. I know this because I used to book shows for “Guru & Solar” and dude use to beat on “Guru” I swear!!! I personally witnessed someone walking in on Solar giving Guru a proper beating behind closed doors.

Sources close to HSK were touring Europe with Guru, Solar, and DJ Doo ? & Kool Keith with Kutmasta Kurt in Fall 2005. At that time the groups had an extended week long stay in the Spanish Canary Islands off the coast of Africa. Guru happily lounged with Solar in his flip flops and swimming trunks downing Hennessy straight and snorting blow by the eightball. This is the same event where Kutmasta Kurt got his nose busted breaking up a fight between Kool Keith’s crew and a concert goer after the show. Matter of fact “Real Connections” still owes about 20,000 euros from that event.

Just this past February, Guru suffered a heart attack leaving him in a comatose state into March. That’s when Solar reportedly kept Guru’s family away from him, because he wanted full control. My sources even tell me that this “Solar” guy didn’t allow doctors to treat “Guru” properly.

When I woke up this morning, I heard the sad news that 43-year-old “Guru” had died yesterday (April 19. 2010), from cancer.

I went into complete silence, and said to myself “Life is too short.” Now, sources are telling me “Solar” is stealing royalties from the group “Gang Starr”. I guess “Solar” got “Guru” to sign over the rights to his name. To make matters worse, “Solar” is saying “Guru” left a letter to all his fans. He says in that letter (printed below), he (Guru) doesn’t want anything to do with his long time collaborator “DJ Premier” even in death…WTF!?!

This “Solar” guy seems to think we’re all a bunch of idiots. Because, “Guru” wouldn’t say any ? like that while on his death bed. “Guru’s” nephew has been speaking about this matter for a while now. Don’t believe me? Ask DJ Premier.

This may all sound harsh, but in fact Jacky and all HSK staff have a deep respect for Guru. One key component that separates Hollywood Street from any other industry blog is that we tell the truth no matter how much it may hurt or damage false images about an art we hold dear. Other sites would never report the truth rather they further perpetuate falsities.

Today I’ll remember Guru as I listen to the third “Gangstarr” album “Daily Operation”…I always liked the song “Take It Personal”. RIP GURU!!!

What the ? man. If this is true than smh. RIP Guru.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    raw_dawg wrote: »
    Check this out!!!!

I believe in this 80% of the way, good find
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Biggiest ? statment ever smh @ traesta spreading lies & degrading A dead person and legend

Check this dope Guru tune
  • purecomp
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Guru got cremated today.
  • acematt
    acematt Members Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    Options
    From the Boston Globe...

My brother, Gang Starr’s Guru
    By Harry J. Elam Jr. | April 23, 2010

(EDITOR’S NOTE: Boston-born Keith Elam, who rose to fame as Guru, founder of the rap group Gang Starr and a person who sought to merge rap and jazz, died earlier this week. His brother, Harry, a distinguished professor of drama at Stanford, has written this remembrance).

“Positivity, that’s how I’m livin..’” So goes the lyric from my brother’s early hip-hop song, “Positivity.” My brother Keith Elam, the hip-hop artist known as GURU—Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal—died this week at the too-young age of 48 because of complications from cancer. ‘Positivity’ was what he sought to bring to the music and to his life, and for me that will be a large part of his legacy.

In February of this year, my brother went into a coma, and I traveled across the country from my home in California to see him. At his bedside, I stood and stared at his overly frail frame, his head that he had kept clean-shaven for the last 20 years uncommonly covered with hair, his body connected to a sea of tubes and wires. I listened to the whirl of machines around us and took his hand. As I did, my mind flashed back to now-distant times, so many memories. And I saw us as teenagers at the beach on Cape Cod playing in the water together. And I saw us as boys, driving to school. My brother was five years younger than me, so we attended the same school only for one year -- my senior year, his seventh-grade year -- at Noble and Greenough School, and I would often drive us both to school. Invariably, I made us late, yet my brother, never as stressed as me, was always impressively calm. At school he endured the jests and teasing from the other boys about being my “little brother.” I was president of the school and had charted a certain path at Nobles. But my brother found his own creative route at school, as he would throughout his life. His journey was never easy, never direct, but inventive. Through it all he remained fiercely determined with a clear and strong sense of self.

Over the years I had proudly watched my brother perform in a wide variety of contexts. While at Nobles, we had a black theatre troupe known as “the Family.” In 1973, we put on a play entitled ''A Medal for Willie,'' by William Branch, and because he was only in the seventh grade, Keith played only a small role, but even then you could see his flair for performance, his comfort on the stage. At home, our older sister Patricia would teach him the latest dances, and he would execute them with verve as I watched from the sidelines, impressed with his moves, and not without a few twinges of jealousy since I’ve always had two left feet. As a teenager he raced as a speed skater. I do not remember how he became involved in the sport; I only remember traveling with my family to watch his meets in the suburbs of Boston. I do not remember if he won or lost, I do know that he always competed with great ferocity and commitment.

When he announced to me that he was dropping out of graduate school at the Fashion Institute of Technology to pursue a career in rap, I thought he was making a grave mistake and warned him against it. But as always he was determined, and in the end he would succeed beyond perhaps what even he had imagined. Early on in his rap journey, he visited me in Washington., D.C., over a Thanksgiving weekend. I was teaching at the University of Maryland then, and we went to what was perhaps the most dreadful party we had ever attended. As we hastened out the door, I apologized for bringing him to this party. My brother replied “let’s write a rap song about it,” and we did. The lyrics made us laugh as we collaborated on the rhyme scheme and rode off into the D.C. night. It is one of my fondest memories, this spontaneous brotherly moment of collaboration and play.

Keith’s big break came with Spike Lee’s film ''Mo’ Better Blues,'' with his song “A Jazz Thing” underscoring the credits. I watched that film over and over again just to hear my brother at its end. Soon he was on to creating his first Jazzmatazz album with others to follow, and he became credited for creating a fusion between jazz and hip hop. To be sure, that fusion owes something to our grandfather Edward Clark and Keith’s godfather, George Johnson, who introduced Keith to jazz by playing their favorite albums for him. He credits them both on his first Jazzmatazz. That first Jazzmatazz album featured musical heroes of my youth, Roy Ayers, and Donald Byrd, and here was my brother featuring them on his album. And with this success, came tours. I have seen him perform all over the world, and each time he would give a shout out from the stage to his brother and my wife, Michele. And I was so proud. It sometimes struck me with awe that all these people were there to see my brother. I watched him deal out magic; he was in his element feeling the crowd, and them responding to his groove. This was my baby brother, the kid with whom I once shared a room. The kid whose asthma would cause him to hack and cough and wheeze at night keeping me up. But when I would complain, my parents would send me out of the room. The message was clear: Love your siblings, whatever their frailties. Shorter than me and slighter of build, my brother suffered from asthma and allergies his whole life, but he was always a survivor

Back in 1993, when he played at Stanford University, I was in perhaps my third year as a professor there. As I walked into the auditorium that night, the assembled audience of students looked at me with a new awareness, “that’s the Guru’s brother,” not that’s Professor Elam, but the Guru’s brother.

And I was, and am, the Guru’s brother. I admired and loved him deeply, my little brother. And I was and am so proud of him, and how he made his dreams reality . And with the outpouring of love that has crowded my e-mail with his passing, I know that he touched so many with his music. My brother cared deeply about family. He raps of my parents in more than one song. They are featured on his video “Ex girl to next girl.” It was one thing seeing my brother on MTV; it was another seeing my parents. His son K.C. was the joy of his life.

The doctors told me back in February that there was not much chance of my brother recovering from the coma. But my brother has always been a fighter, always been one to overcome surprising adversities, so this seemed just one more. We prayed that he would again prevail. But it was not to be. Still his drive, his spirit, his energy, his positivity will live on, and so will his music. “that’s how I’m livin…”

Harry J. Elam Jr. is the chairman of the drama department at Stanford University and the author of several books, including "The Past as Present in the Drama of August Wilson.''
  • purecomp
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Apparently, Just Blaze said on twitter that Solar cremated the body before a proper autopsy could be performed. Guru's family tried to stop it, but were unsuccessful.
  • purecomp
    edited April 2010
    Options
    this was from BEFORE the cremation

Reports are coming into HSK that when Guru’s father, the Honorable Harry J. Elam, a former prominent lawyer from Boston and a retired Massachusetts superior court justice, called to recover the body from John “Solar” Mo’Sher, Solar said that he was taking the body upstate for a private memorial.

Judge Elam immediately made claim to the body and asked Solar to “return the body at once”, to which Solar replied that he would return the body if Elam Sr. called off the Elam nephew from continuing to make statements and videos about Solar. Claims which Solar continues to call false.

Judge Elam’s reply, “I don’t have time for these childish games, send my sons body home immediately.”

Following this exchange the police were sent and Guru’s body was recovered and is currently on its way back to Boston, to his family and to lay in honor as they see fit.

Not only should Solar return the body with-out delay, but Solar should return to the family all rights supposedly passed on to him from Guru on his deathbed. These should be held by the family in TRUST until KC is of legal age to handle himself.

This guy Solar, who HSK staff have personally met and traveled with is a NUT job. What is going on in his peas size brain is very troubling to say the least. Now that Guru is no longer around to protect him it might be time for dude to vanish on his own before someone does it for him.

Who knows what the ? is going on. ? is bugged.
  • traestar
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Biggiest ? statment ever smh @ traesta spreading lies & degrading A dead person and legend

Check this dope Guru tune

How am I spreading lies, show and prove!!!
  • traestar
    edited April 2010
    Options
    purecomp wrote: »
    this was from BEFORE the cremation

Reports are coming into HSK that when Guru’s father, the Honorable Harry J. Elam, a former prominent lawyer from Boston and a retired Massachusetts superior court justice, called to recover the body from John “Solar” Mo’Sher, Solar said that he was taking the body upstate for a private memorial.

Judge Elam immediately made claim to the body and asked Solar to “return the body at once”, to which Solar replied that he would return the body if Elam Sr. called off the Elam nephew from continuing to make statements and videos about Solar. Claims which Solar continues to call false.

Judge Elam’s reply, “I don’t have time for these childish games, send my sons body home immediately.”

Following this exchange the police were sent and Guru’s body was recovered and is currently on its way back to Boston, to his family and to lay in honor as they see fit.

Not only should Solar return the body with-out delay, but Solar should return to the family all rights supposedly passed on to him from Guru on his deathbed. These should be held by the family in TRUST until KC is of legal age to handle himself.

This guy Solar, who HSK staff have personally met and traveled with is a NUT job. What is going on in his peas size brain is very troubling to say the least. Now that Guru is no longer around to protect him it might be time for dude to vanish on his own before someone does it for him.

Who knows what the ? is going on. ? is bugged.

How does someone not related choses to cremate the body!
    I swear Solar is really ? me off!!
  • traestar
    edited April 2010
    Options
    That kinda upsets me right now, water ur seeds!

You said I was spreading lies, what are you talking about??
  • sundiata82
    sundiata82 Members Posts: 28
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    purecomp wrote: »
    Apparently, Just Blaze said on twitter that Solar cremated the body before a proper autopsy could be performed. Guru's family tried to stop it, but were unsuccessful.

? ....ya'll ? watch CSI?

at this rate "Solar" is headed for the Hip-Hop Hall of Shame w/ Suge Knight

? , I only found out about this TODAY....clicked on the new White Owl tape, saw a bunch of "R.I.P Guru" tracks on there, and my heart sank

words cannot express how disappointed I am that Guru let his life and career be hijacked by this wack ass self-proclaimed "superproducer" who ran his record label like a damn cult leader...this is page 12, so I'm sure that the ugly details have already been posted. SMFH. Even if the ? rumors are true, dude could've found a more loyal "partner" than that.

Primo was always down for another Gang Starr album. Solar wanted to make one without Primo. Smh. I hope Primo has a bunch of unreleased ? they did
  • birdman da 3
    birdman da 3 Members Posts: 6
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yeah thats a sad day in hip hop
  • traestar
    edited April 2010
    Options
    From Hip Hop DX

Tasha Denham: "Just To Get A Rep?"April 27, 2010 12:00:00 AM CDT | By Jake Paine
    http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/interviews/id.1535/title.tasha-denham-just-to-get-a-rep

The last week has stung the eyes and hearts of Hip Hop fans. Since the late 1980s, Keith "Guru" Elam gave us street scripture in poetical parables, weathered wisdom and a signature voice of reason. As if the announcement of Guru's death to cancer has not hurt enough, controversies have swept the media trying to understand Guru's last days, his bizarre relationship with musical partner John "Solar" Mosher and a suspicious and damaging last letter.

As the truths come to the light, one courageous woman has come forward. Tasha Denham considers herself a friend to Guru. On two different occasions, they temporarily lived under the same roof between 2006 and 2008. She was also an employee of Guru and Solar's 7 Grand Records, having served a tenure as Executive Assistant within the four-person operation. Lastly, Denham has a young daughter, that she says was fathered by Solar. Having witnessed those two-plus years on a personal, private and professional level, Tasha Denham's accounts come from one of the few people who was privy to the tight circle Solar and Guru kept.

This jaw-dropping and quite-lengthy interview was conducted just minutes after midnight this morning (April 27). As the contents below suggest, it is one first-hand account on the last chapter in the life of one of the most respected emcees in Hip Hop. Merely one person's testimony, but suspicions of foul-play are confirmed in vivid detail, and some background information is provided at a time when all of us who knew Guru, loved him, or lived by his verses are looking for answers.

HipHopDX: Thank you for speaking to us. To start, could you describe your relationship and the context of your relationship to the man the Hip Hop community knows as Solar, as well as Guru?
    Tasha Denham: I met Guru and Solar in 2006. I actually met them out in Denver, [Colorado]. I was moving back to New York. I started a personal relationship with Solar and subsequently became pregnant by him, and had a child by him.

In the middle of 2006, a situation happened on tour. They needed some help with some business things - they were in Europe, and needed some things done in the States, and I happened to be able to help them out at that time.

By the end of 2006, I decided that I was going to leave and come back to Denver, due to issues that I was having with Solar in our personal relationship. At that time, because we weren't going to have a personal relationship, I wasn't able to help [7 Grand Records] anymore. After our daughter was born, I started talking to them again, and had just a personal relationship at that time with both Solar and Guru. I considered Guru a close friend of mine. Solar is obviously the father of my child.

In 2007, once again, they were over in Europe, and had some complications on tour. Their tour manager had to quit in the middle of the tour. So they had me do some stuff for them. It ended up working out well, and at that point in time, they decided to bring me on as an assistant for [7 Grand Records] and I was both of their personal-slash executive assistants, at the same time, it was a small record label, so I did whatever needed to be done to try and make the record label run smoothly. So I worked on a day-to-day basis with both Guru and Solar till about July, 2008.

DX: In regards to 7 Grand, I know you probably wore many hats in the day-to-day, but what was your specific title?
    Tasha Denham: My specific title was executive assistant. That was the general title I was given.

DX: The Hip Hop perspective is, somewhere in 2004, Guru and Solar began working together musically. Do you know the context in how they came to know each other?
    Tasha Denham: Everything I've been told, I've been told by them. I was not around at the time that they met. But my understanding is that in 2003 I believe, they became friends. They would hang out and party together. Guru, at the time, was still with [DJ] Premier [in Gang Starr]. They had the album, The Ownerz at that time. They were just friends. Solar ended up going on one of the Gang Starr tours with Guru in 2003, I believe. They were talking one night, and Solar [was listening] to Guru. [Guru] was expressing his displeasure with [? /EMI Records] at that time. Solar said, "Well, if you're so unhappy with your label, why don't you start your own?" Guru thought about it a little, I guess, thought about it overnight, and then came back to Solar the next day and said, "I want to do this, man. Let's start the label." Solar was like, "I didn't mean us, I meant for you to start it." [Guru reportedly responded], "No. No, man. I want to do it together." At that point in time, Solar told him that if [Guru] wanted to do this, then he had to stop drinking. From that point on, that's when they decided to build 7 Grand Records.

DX: It's a weird question to ask, but I know that what you're telling me a lot on pre-2006 is based entirely on what you've heard, but it's an important question to the Hip Hop community, in the wake of last Tuesday's letter - do you know the context from that Ownerz Tour of the relationship that Solar and DJ Premier may have had with each other? A lot of people believe that Premo has been [attacked by these words Solar may have written in the letter]. A lot of people are curious to know if Solar would have any motive.
    Tasha Denham: Um...I do know that there were at least some tensions. I wasn't there, obviously, so I can't say to what extent. But I do know that there was some tensions. I can't say that anything Solar had against Premier had to be one specific incident. Just watching, over the time that I spent with them, Solar had such a twisted sense of how important [his own role] was to the music game. I think there was an extensive amount of jealousy towards what Premier had already created in the music industry. I can't speak that there was one specific incident that created that animosity between them.

DX: As a member of the press, often times, prior to an interview, Premier's name and Gang Starr were often not allowed to be mentioned at all. Did you know anything, as far as behind-closed-doors for the motives in that?
    Tasha Denham: I definitely know that press was told, numerous times, not to speak on Gang Starr, not to ask questions on Gang Starr or Premier. And [press was told], that if they were to speak on it, the interview would pretty much be over. I know this because I was the one who told the press this a lot of times. I was required to prep people ahead of time, basically, on what questions were going to be acceptable, and that they wanted to focus on 7 Grand at the time, and whatever album at the time was coming out, and not on the past - it didn't matter. Again, I believe it all stemmed from...I think when Solar got into [the music industry], I feel that he thought it was just gonna take off like that. They were gonna have instant love around the world, instant fame, instant fortune from this label. I don't think he got the realities of quite how hard it was gonna be to overcome the legacy that [Gang Starr] had together. I think that his jealousy of both Premier and Guru's fame around the world - yeah, there's a lot of people who don't know who they are, but anybody who really knows Hip Hop, and especially in Europe and such, it's insane amounts of love and fame out there. Solar would go places and people would want Premier, they wouldn't want Solar. Not because they hated Solar, but because they didn't know Solar. They wanted the legendary Gang Starr, with its producer.

You know, I understand Guru wanting to move on and create things on his own. He did, with Jazzmatazz, way before Solar even came around. But before, I think he didn't understand that maybe it could be both. I think what's distanced Solar so much from so many of the Gang Starr fans is he always acted like he was in competition with Premier instead of taking the natural route that he was Guru's partner now, after Premier. [Instead, Solar] came across with so much anger about it. He truly believes that Premier was financing a campaign agaist him on the Internet - a hate campaign.

....Read more about it on

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/interviews/id.1535/title.tasha-denham-just-to-get-a-rep
  • bklyn90
    bklyn90 Members Posts: 18
    edited April 2010
    Options
    r.i.p guru

that man put out some great music
  • Persis
    Persis Members Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i find it kinda wierd; all those celebs dying in the last few months!!
  • The Real Gifted
    The Real Gifted Members Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    Options
    What's good AllHipHop.com,

Just wanted to add in my two cents in regards to the passing of the Legendary Hip-Hop artist Guru of Gangstarr. Guru, a highly respected influence to myself and to the lives of many who have persevered in the Hip-Hop culture. A true pioneer who's legacy is golden. I had not the privilege in meeting the talented brother but in my personal opinion; Guru himself was a fan of Hip-Hop. A fan of unity and peace. Needless to say, His legacy is being dishonored by the very people in whom claimed to have loved him individually or as an artist. Pertaining to those who have met him, known him and His fans. Guru was not a foolish individual. More to say, his music blatantly expresses his intellect over the past years. Thus, more than likely he knew what Solar and those who had their hands in the cookie jar were up to the whole time. While He was living. He never addressed the issue(not that I know of) but im sure behind closed doors they've hand conversations of reconciling with one another. He had never jumped out of His character not once, in the eyes of the public pertaining to this issue nor did he put a contract on the head of Solar. lol, I totally understand the reason of why those who love and have loved Guru are hurt. Solar, reaping guru's benefits without the consent of Guru's family is obviously wrong. Not to mention, him not attending Guru's funeral nor putting a dime of His money towards the services. I absolutely agree with the fans, and world for being angry and seeking revenge. All I am saying is that we should not let Guru's legacy be hindered by the arrogant, disrespectful, immoral ways of solar. Guru's death should be celebrated and should bring us together. We are the last of a dying breed. The remainder of what's left in the Hip-Hop culture. Together we stand, divided we fall.

Madd Love,

GIFTED
  • traestar
    edited May 2010
    Options
    What's good AllHipHop.com,

Just wanted to add in my two cents in regards to the passing of the Legendary Hip-Hop artist Guru of Gangstarr. Guru, a highly respected influence to myself and to the lives of many who have persevered in the Hip-Hop culture. A true pioneer who's legacy is golden. I had not the privilege in meeting the talented brother but in my personal opinion; Guru himself was a fan of Hip-Hop. A fan of unity and peace. Needless to say, His legacy is being dishonored by the very people in whom claimed to have loved him individually or as an artist. Pertaining to those who have met him, known him and His fans. Guru was not a foolish individual. More to say, his music blatantly expresses his intellect over the past years. Thus, more than likely he knew what Solar and those who had their hands in the cookie jar were up to the whole time. While He was living. He never addressed the issue(not that I know of) but im sure behind closed doors they've hand conversations of reconciling with one another. He had never jumped out of His character not once, in the eyes of the public pertaining to this issue nor did he put a contract on the head of Solar. lol, I totally understand the reason of why those who love and have loved Guru are hurt. Solar, reaping guru's benefits without the consent of Guru's family is obviously wrong. Not to mention, him not attending Guru's funeral nor putting a dime of His money towards the services. I absolutely agree with the fans, and world for being angry and seeking revenge. All I am saying is that we should not let Guru's legacy be hindered by the arrogant, disrespectful, immoral ways of solar. Guru's death should be celebrated and should bring us together. We are the last of a dying breed. The remainder of what's left in the Hip-Hop culture. Together we stand, divided we fall.

Madd Love,

GIFTED

I like this
  • FrozenMind
    FrozenMind Members Posts: 1,078 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Guru had some great stuff. One of my fav tracks from him is "The Illist Brother" off Daily Operation. So real.
  • sutterkane
    sutterkane Members Posts: 316
    edited May 2010
    Options
    R.I.P Guru

But, when summin bad happens to Solar(notice I said "When" and not "If")..........All ya'll cats praying for his downfall gonna have a long day at confession, its not good to wish foul on no man, if he really pulled all that underhanded ? , he'll get his at the crossroads.........Leave it in gods hands
  • Ajax McJones
    Ajax McJones Members Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ]

nobody cared about him before, but now that he's dead, he is going to be in everybodys top 10... sad really