Ni-No-Kuni get's Early 2012 release (PS3)

Options
VulcanRaven
VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in IllGaming
Speaking at Sony Computer Entertainment Asia’s Tokyo Game Show press conference on September 16, Level-5 president Akihiro Hino confirmed during an interview session that an English version of the game is currently in production, and will release in North America early next year. Hino also confirmed a Japanese-language Asian release and post-release downloadable content. He didn’t go into detail.

http://gematsu.com/2011/09/ni-no-kuni-coming-to-north-america-in-early-2012

Just what I wanted to hear.This is the best news I heard all generation.Games like this seem to be a dying breed and this represents what Japan gaming is all about.

Comments

• vespesianus
    vespesianus Members Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Eh explain what's so special about this game
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Eh explain what's so special about this game

He's probably an JRPG fan so this is probably a breath of fresh air considering the FPS/shooter-heavy game influx. Cool I guess, but I don't like RPGs in general, so I could care less for this.

Just curious, but are the keeping the original title of the game or translating it for NA/UK.
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    yet another game to cop
  • VulcanRaven
    edited September 2011
    Options
    He's probably an JRPG fan so this is probably a breath of fresh air considering the FPS/shooter-heavy game influx. Cool I guess, but I don't like RPGs in general, so I could care less for this.

Just curious, but are the keeping the original title of the game or translating it for NA/UK.

Not sure.

@ vesp the game is so special for those of us who like games on a grand scale of adventure with plush colors tons of gameplay elements and who are tired of the bland and boring generic shooter genre that has dominated this generation.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Demo of this drops on PSN this tuesday.

• VulcanRaven
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up and digging up this thread. Can't wait to play the demo.
  • vespesianus
    vespesianus Members Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ my comments earlier in this thread, I actually played and finished the game in Japanese months ago. ? was ass. The only thing good about this game was the visuals, which were admittedly amazing. But everything else was generic and boring. The whole game is on some 'go here and get this and take it there' x 1000 type of ? . There's nothing revolutionary about it at all. Easy as hell too, once you get the stronger magic spells, you can win every battle easily. The story is ass as well. If you guys wanna know anything about the game, ask me.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Lol @ my comments earlier in this thread, I actually played and finished the game in Japanese months ago. ? was ass. The only thing good about this game was the visuals, which were admittedly amazing. But everything else was generic and boring. The whole game is on some 'go here and get this and take it there' x 1000 type of ? . There's nothing revolutionary about it at all. Easy as hell too, once you get the stronger magic spells, you can win every battle easily. The story is ass as well. If you guys wanna know anything about the game, ask me.

Can't be more ass then the majority of Nippon Ichi rpg's that got released in North America for ps3...
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    Options
    I thought the demo was dope. Just pre-ordered. Gamestop has a steelbook edition free if you pre-order from them.

nino-kuni-steelbook-case.jpg
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    Well there was not much to the demo, but I had looked at a few walkthroughs on you tube of the Japanese version so i already knew the game was great. First day buy as expected. Finally this game is coming state side next month.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    IGN: 9.4 Amazing
    Ni No Kuni is the best JRPG I’ve played in years, and a must-play for an RPG fan with a PlayStation 3.

+Gorgeous, lush graphics
    +Wonderful, expertly written and performed soundtrack
    +Excellent story that’s familiar, yet markedly unique
    +Engrossing battle system that takes influence from two great JRPG series
    +Requires at least 40 hours to beat, and perhaps twice that to do everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5BE1Vw5B3M

Mad Jack won't be so mad now lol. It drops next week (1/22)
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    I have been looking at Japanese walkthroughs of this game and Tales of Xillia for a while now so I knew it was the best JRPG since maybe DQ8 or Tales of the Abyss. Everyone still waiting on Square to get their ? straight should give that attention to this game instead. It gives off that Chrono Trigger feel too.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    Oh and funk, if the Ravens make it all the way me and my bro are going to N.O. even if we can't get tickets to the Super Bowl.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this ? is getting great reviews. really not my thing but I'm glad it's available for those that love games like this.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    Oh and funk, if the Ravens make it all the way me and my bro are going to N.O. even if we can't get tickets to the Super Bowl.

congrats on your victory bro. im a giants fan but ill be rooting for ya.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? said Tales of Abyss and DQ8 were good JRPG's.

GET ALL THE WAY THE ? OUT OF HERE.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    LOL you must not be a fan of the genre cuz they both were great certainly better than ff10 and ff12
  • ohhhla
    Options
    JRPG's is my favourite genre, wtf are you talking about?

I don't like JRPG's that look like anime characters from your Weekly Shounen Jump.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    edited January 2013
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »

I don't like JRPG's that look like anime characters from your Weekly Shounen Jump.

Yet characters that all look like emo scene kids and steampunks are perfectly acceptable...?
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    Um the art directors who do manga are the same used for video games. See Dragon Ball's Toriyama for Chrono Trigger who also does the Dragon Quest series. JRPGs and Anime goes hand to hand when it comes to character design.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    game is an instant classic. best jrpg since whatever you liked last generation.support this masterpiece.
  • ohhhla
    Options

Yet characters that all look like emo scene kids and steampunks are perfectly acceptable...?

Did you play FF before 7?

JRPG's wasn't like that

It was a whole different world.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    edited January 2013
    Options

Did you play FF before 7?

JRPG's wasn't like that

It was a whole different world.

In japan they they were. Japanese anime really didn't start getting popular worldwide till the late 90's. Japanese companies used to drastically change the art direction/box art to appeal to western audiences all the time all the way up until around the playstation 1 era.

Yeah I've been playing JRPGS since Phantasy Star.

Phantasy Star US
    Phantasy_Star_box.jpg

Phantasy Star JPN
    phantasy_star_box_jp.jpg

Dragon Warrior US
    Dragon-Warrior-box-art.jpg

Dragon Quest JPN
    tumblr_l1j5dddXKF1qzurbto1_500.jpg

Final Fantasy US
    FF1BoxArtNES.jpg

Final Fantasy JPN
    632558-final_fantasy_jp_nes_front.jpg
  • VulcanRaven
    Options

Dog Dragon Quest (older than FF) and Chrono Trigger both had anime style art direction. The games were just in 2D and FF does not use an Anime style anymore since Square is trying to make it realistic. Ni No Kuni has the feel of the classic JRPGS. Great game, make sure you pick it up ...unless you one of the lames who don't own a PS3.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    FF1-6 were not anime artstyle.

WTF, are you talking about?

I will never play that anime-esque JRPG.