Arizona's new immigration laws

Options
d.green
d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Social Lounge
Arizona just passed an "immigration" bill that makes it a state crime to be an undocumented alien in Arizona. The law allows police to stop Hispanics on the street and demand their documents without any probable cause for believing they are undocumented, except their ethnicity. The last time I checked, the individual states don't have jurisdiction in immigration matters, but that apparently doesn't bother the goobers in the state legislature. What's next? Requiring Hispanics who have documents to have tattoos identifying them as documented?

http://www.azfamily.com/news/New-bil...-90805259.html

And in other news nearly half of the same legislature are in favor of a bill that would require President Obama to show his birth certificate to Arizona officials before being qualified to run for re-election in Arizona, and would require the same of future candidates.

http://blog.taragana.com/politics/20...ficates-20437/

Guess they forgot that the U.S. Constitution, is the only document that regulates qualification of candidates for federal office. The only powers given the states by Article I, section 4 is to set the "times, places, and manners" of holding elections; not deciding who is qualified to be a candidate.

Comments

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Those Republicans sure know how to win over Latinos.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    arizona just screwed themselves
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    which is more sad: the fact that thinking about this cynically should make them want to court Hispanic votes, or the fact that it's short-term cynicism CAUSING this nonsense?
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

I guess they're banking on that most of them are undocumented and "illegal". Which is probably the case.

But the ones who aren't they def lost.
  • Ham&CheeseHotPoc
    Ham&CheeseHotPoc Members Posts: 215
    edited April 2010
    Options
    mexicans are only good for one thing. raking my leaves in the fall.
  • And Step
    edited April 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    which is more sad: the fact that thinking about this cynically should make them want to court Hispanic votes, or the fact that it's short-term cynicism CAUSING this nonsense?

I don't know. Hatred makes you imbalanced.

But I do know that it is sad and disturbing, that you continue to place asthetically challenged black males in your avi, like your some interracial, ? , racist Wizard of the IC.

Were you jilted by a black male lover?
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    But I do know that it is sad and disturbing, that you continue to place asthetically challenged black males in your avi, like your some interracial, ? , racist Wizard of the IC. Were you jilted by a black male lover?
    weak and, even worse, belated. take this ? over to Donkey where it's, you know, appropriate.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I dont see where white people get a logical case for not just giving those smart enough to get over here legal citizenship. Their logic of them taking all the jobs is flawed by their constant complaining of them being lazy spics who just mooch off the governments welfare system or being nothing but drug dealers.

From their own statements are these old white guys aspiring to be drug dealers or live off welfare?
  • And Step
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I dont see where white people get a logical case for not just giving those smart enough to get over here legal citizenship. Their logic of them taking all the jobs is flawed by their constant complaining of them being lazy spics who just mooch off the governments welfare system or being nothing but drug dealers.

From their own statements are these old white guys aspiring to be drug dealers or live off welfare?

It's not logical. They should blame the corporations who hire them knowingly. But they won't because same corporations control media and pundits who spout this nonsense.

Get cheap labor and blame it on people you hire. It's a win win.
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited April 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    It's not logical. They should blame the corporations who hire them knowingly. But they won't because same corporations control media and pundits who spout this nonsense.

Get cheap labor and blame it on people you hire. It's a win win.

umm factories areroutinely raided for undocumented workers
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Ist funny how people blame illegal emigrants for everything. Like they ? the economy up. John McCain can eat ? n/h
  • jennifer.bush*
    jennifer.bush* Members Posts: 551
    edited April 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »

can u explain what this means? lol plz

anyways this country is just...idk...illegals r driving me and other people insane....but i would not support this law....smh...w/e
  • duckmanpig
    duckmanpig Members Posts: 428
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ? this bill is a potential race bomb... It aint like swedes and latvians are shaking in their boots... Smh...
  • jennifer.bush*
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lol Sweden is not across the border trafficking drugs
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lol Sweden is not across the border trafficking drugs

You really dont think they actually care about the drugs do you..
  • jennifer.bush*
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yes, drugs=gangs, gangs=crime, crime= bodies , bodies=anger :)
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Thats all here.. white people dont do those same drugs now.. those very same.. anit immigrant teaparty/minutemen..
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yes, drugs=gangs, gangs=crime, crime= bodies , bodies=anger :)

Drugs = government help, gangs = illegal population control, crime = funding for governing hopefuls to campaign with, bodies = nothing when the government is involved
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »
    arizona just screwed themselves

No, the governor just got herself re-elected by signing a law she knows will be over turned anyway.

Anyway Im against just allowing illegal immigration for so many at once and I totally reject the ? assertion that they just take jobs Americans dont want anyway. ? , my home girl got "laid off" and had to train her Mexican replacement who barely knew English and she was a college student at the time.

But its funny how whites have gone batshit crazy since Obama got in office. And it's also funny how they dont seem to have a problem with Canadian, Russian and Swiss immigration. Always Mexican....gee, wonder why that is.
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2010
    Options
    No, the governor just got herself re-elected by signing a law she knows will be over turned anyway.

Anyway Im against just allowing illegal immigration for so many at once and I totally reject the ? assertion that they just take jobs Americans dont want anyway. ? , my home girl got "laid off" and had to train her Mexican replacement who barely knew English and she was a college student at the time.

But its funny how whites have gone batshit crazy since Obama got in office. And it's also funny how they dont seem to have a problem with Canadian, Russian and Swiss immigration. Always Mexican....gee, wonder why that is.

Well we know its not racism in this post racial society
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I've seen lots of data recently suggesting that the Hispanic vote is still very much up for grabs. Unlike black voters who tend to vote overwhelmingly for Democrats year after year, Hispanic voters are much more divided and the numbers shift around plenty. The Republicans aren't doing themselves any favors with Hispanic voters right now, and as the national debate heats up there's a big opportunity for Democrats to capitalize if they do it right.

Obama and Congressional Dems need to be somewhat centered in their approach (but hey, they seem to be incapable of doing otherwise anyhow). They should recognize that treating undocumented immigrants in even a remotely humane way is going to ? off a bunch of people and cause an uproar. But those are people who won't be voting for him anyway. The group he needs to worry about ? off is clueless working schlubs who don't really have political views but can be easily manipulated and feared. He needs to get out front and paint the narrative before the GOP gets a chance. He'll need to propose immigration reform that treats immigrants in a humane way, but pitch it to good old Joe Sixpack as a way to end his constant struggle of competing with cheap, ? labor.

And that won't be easy. Republicans are going to use every fear tactic and drum up as much racial resentment as possible.

"Obama wants to let these ? have all the rights and opportunities that you have. That's not fair! They're here illegally! You EARNED those rights and opportunities by being born in this country to white parents. Why should he just GIVE them the same?!"

But, if the Democrats can get their message across (don't hold your breath), they can prevent alienating white working/middle class in a severe way, and are certain to win over lots of Hispanics. So politically speaking, it looks to me like the Republicans are ceding the Hispanic vote to the Democrats in order to focus on white voters who will resent Obama's immigration reform.

Like Darcskies said, this is shortsighted. Even if it works exactly as the GOP plans, and they can win more seats and have a better shot at defeating Obama in 2012, it's bad news for the long run. Hispanics are increasing in the population and the electorate. I hear a lot of conservatives ? that black people don't even give the GOP any consideration, and here they are setting themselves up to find the same fate with a growing Hispanic demographic, and as the country becomes less and less white, the math eventually just won't work.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    This law makes no sense if we cant prevent them from getting over here in the first place. It just uses racial profiling to send illegals back home so they can come back later.

If you have a water leak in your boat are you going to dump the water out with a bucket or patch up the source of the leak first. People that run this country are so ? stupid.
  • jennifer.bush*
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ^^^ illegal immigration been down for a while. also u have to remember people over stay their visas
  • jennifer.bush*
    edited April 2010
    Options

lollllllllllllllllllllllll who the hell from canada would break the law to live here? same for sweden?
    the point is mexico is next to us and drugs and gangs get here, can we say the same for those countires? and why u acting like those people don't get deported?
  • playmaker88
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think Darc hit it right on the head.. it will ultimatley fail.. but she did it for votes.. it was a smart play but short sighted as someone else mentioned she lookin out for her own interest.. its pretty damn rediculous.. Lol @ suspicion ... so any ? name jose.. anyone that speaks spanish.. or has that "No hable look" is gettin bagged