So no one is talking about the Vita?

Options
ocelot
ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in IllGaming
If done right the PSLife could replace my PS3... im excited for this piece of hardward... they just need that one original game. Hopefully they learned from their mistake of the PSP... and hopefully they bring all the PSN games that were great to the PSV....

Ninja Gaiden, Katamari, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and More Coming to PlayStation Vita

ps_vita_titles.jpg

Details from the latest issue of Famitsu magazine are leaking all over the place, revealing a slew of PlayStation Vita games both new and old, including versions of Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Katamari Damacy, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and more.

Early, still unconfirmed reports from the Japanese magazine front indicate that in addition to the above titles, Falcom's role-playing game Ys IV will also get Vita treatment.

New and original games for PlayStation Vita include two from Square Enix, Armies of Hell and Lord of the Apocalypse, the latter of which is reportedly tied to Lord of Vermilion and also has a PSP version.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Armies of Hell are reportedly PS Vita launch titles.

More to come as Kotaku attends Sony's Tokyo Game Show press conference later tonight.

Comments

• ocelot
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Final Fantasy X is Coming to PlayStation Vita and PS3 in HD

ffx_vita.jpg

Square Enix will bring PlayStation 2 role-playing game Final Fantasy X to the PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3, the company announced today, giving the 2001 video game a high definition makeover.

The game's publisher called the HD upgrade a "special 10th anniversary production" but did not show the Vita and PS3 version in action, only saying that the specs for each version of Final Fantasy X would be similar. No date yet and no word on that Final Fantasy VII remake you were hoping for, but a potentially good sign for the Vita.
  • ocelot
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Metal Gear Solid, Zone of the Enders HD Collections Coming to Vita Too

zoe_hd_vita.jpg

And the ports just keep on coming! PlayStation Vita owners will have even more high-def versions of classic games to play on the go as Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima has revealed that the previously announced Metal Gear Solid and Zone of the Enders HD collections will also come to Vita.

Those games are said to use the "Transfarring" system, meaning players can enjoy playing high-def versions of PlayStation 2 iterations of Metal Gear Solid and Zone of the Enders on their PS3, then pick up the game on their Vita.

Kojima Productions will bring those HD collections to Vita sometime in 2012.
  • ocelot
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Vita Can Play ‘Most’ Downloadable PSP Games, Sony Thinking About Solution for UMD Owners

Sony's next generation handheld will, as previously promised, support downloadable PSP titles. The PlayStation Vita will even let you take advantage of its dual analog sticks to control some software. But what about those of us with nothing but PSP games on UMD?

Well, Sony says that it's "thinking" about a solution that would accommodate PlayStation Portable owners who want to experience those games on the Vita, but it had no firm details to share at its Tokyo Game Show press conference.

PlayStation Vita hits Japan on December 17 with more than two dozen launch games in tow.

Here Are the PS Vita’s Twenty Six Launch Titles for Japan
    vita_01.jpg
    On December 17, the PS Vita will go on sale in Japan. When it does, it will have a whole host of titles to support it.

Today, at Sony's pre-Tokyo Game Show press event, the handheld's launch line-up for Japan was revealed, twenty-six titles strong.

Here is a list of the titles available at launch:
    BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II Plus
    Browser Sangokushi Touch Battle
    Project N.O.E.L.S.
    Fish On
    Dynasty Warriors Musou Next
    Shinobido II
    Power Smash 4
    Uncharted: Golde Abyss
    Hot Shots Golf 6
    F1 2011
    Dream Club
    Disgaea 3: Return
    Katamari no Biita
    Shin Kamaitacho no Yoru
    Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
    Yuusha no Kiroku
    Dark Quest
    Lord of the Apocalypse
    Michael Jackson Experience HD
    NicoNico Douga
    Sawari Makuuru
    Ridge Racer
    Monster Radar
    @field
    Minna to Issho: Friend Network
    Army Corps of Hell

Sony did stated that over 100 titles are currently in development for the PS Vita and showed big titles like an HD Zone of the Enders collection that is Vita bound.

According to Sony, the PS Vita's launch line-up is the biggest launch line-up for a new console ever.
  • ocelot
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Here, Look at WipeOut 2048 for Five Minutes!Frantic, futuristic racing. That's right, WipeOut 2048 is one of the launch titles coming to the PlayStation Vita.

It's shaping up nicely. Here, game designer Graeme Ankers walks us through, providing a look at what you can expect.

Be sure to check out Kotaku's hands on impressions of the game.

Gravity Daze is Still the Most Exciting Original PlayStation Vita GameThe PlayStation Vita is a fantastic platform for remakes and ports (Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Final Fantasy X, etc.), but if you're looking for something wholly original, look to Sony's Gravity Daze.

We've played it as Gravity, the name under which it was shown at this year's E3 expo. It's being shown at this week's Tokyo Game Show under its Japanese title, looking just as lovely as ever.

New gameplay (in Japanese) is in the trailer above. We're not yet sure when Gravity Daze is due, but since it's not among the 26 launch titles for the PlayStation Vita, it's probably going to be a while.
  • ocelot
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The "THIS CANT LOOK THIS GOOD" moment

Watch Ten Minutes of Uncharted: Golden Abyss for PS VitaYou know, that PlayStation Vita is capable of some lovely looking video games. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, for example, is one of the lovelier ones and not just because that Nathan Drake is so damn dashing.

Golden Abyss is more than just a pretty face, however, as Bend Studios' John Garvin kindly explains in this narrated walkthrough of what makes this portable Uncharted game special. Learn a little bit more about the on-the-go adventures of Nate and his new friends, plus how a few interesting Vita-only gimmicks are gonna work.

Our boys in Japan will probably be bringing you some hands-on impressions of Uncharted: Golden Abyss any minute now, but for some direct-feed footage, press play.
  • ocelot
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The PS Vita’s Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Looks MarvelousNot only does Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 do fighting games just fine on the PS Vita, it also looks great.

Here, Kotaku films some random dude as he play through the Vita version.

Yes, the PlayStation Vita Can do Fighting Games Just Fine, Thanks
    I played Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom on the PlayStation Vita this morning. The thing is, we were only allowed eight minutes at a time on the thing, which isn't exactly enough to tell you the ins and outs of the game (though I did film the game, the footage from which I'll throw up a little later).

It was more than enough time, though, to tell you the PlayStation Vita will have no problem with fighting games.

One of the things I like about the new handheld is the "click" of its buttons. They're not soft or squishy; you get a definitive click when you've depressed them, really letting you know you've hit the button. The Vita's d-pad has the same feel to it, and for a fighting game this felt great.

Unlike the d-pad on the DualShock 3 (or the PSP, for that matter), which is broken up into four individual sections, the surface of the Vita's d-pad is (as you can see in the pic above) actually joined in the middle, raised from the surface of the handheld and with sharp (well, not sharp) edges. This meant that whipping my thumb around the pad to move my characters and pull off special moves was both fast and, more importantly, precise, the raised sections and "click" letting me know that, yes, I'd definitely just pushed down.

It also meant that no longer was I pushing down one or two of four individual "buttons" to interact with the d-pad. Because they're joined in the middle I could "roll", closer to what you'd do with a stick or fancy control pad. It doesn't match the feeling of using an actual arcade stick, but for a handheld, it feels pretty damn great.

FIGHT!

But what of Marvel vs Capcom? Like I said, I didn't get to play it for long, nor am I an expert on the genre, but what I can tell you is it did look gorgeous, making the same decision I've seen a few other Vita games make at the show: let the characters look a little jaggy, a little rough compared to the console version of a game, but then cram all the animation and effects you'd expect from a PS3 game in around them so after a while you don't really notice.

I'll be posting video footage of the game in action later tonight, you can check out some finer details then!
  • ocelot
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I Can See Myself Playing Ridge Racer on the PS VitaBack in December 2004, I bought two things. One was a PSP. The other was Ridge Racer.

Ridge Racer was a PSP launch title, and I played the ? out of that game. I haven't played a Ridge Racer before or since as much. As time passed, my interested in Ridge Racer waned, and I found myself picking up the game less and less.

So when I started the brief Ridge Racer for the PS Vita at the Tokyo Game Show, I told the Namco Bandai guy at the Sony Vita kiosk that I hadn't played Ridge Racer for years.

Funny thing, the whole thing came flooding back. Ridge Racer for the PS Vita is, well, Ridge Racer. In the very short time I spent with the game, I didn't get any surprises. Sure, it looks great, but that's expected, thanks to the portable's horsepower and OLED screen. Well, there was one surprise.

The surprise was just how good the thumbstick was for driving and drifting. It's miles better than the PSP controls. Even if you don't like Ridge Racer, the nitro, and the made-up cars, the game did get me excited for the car game possibilities on the Vita.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    dont ? with hand helds post
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I honestly just don't give a ? about handhelds.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    i love handhelds and I hope sony does well with it, but i honestly think I outgrew them. the only handheld device ill bet getting next year is going to be the next ipad
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The specs are impressive but all the titles seem to be PS3-lite versions of PS3 games. Like you said, they still don't have that one (or more) original title(s).
  • ocelot
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The way i see it... i feel that im out growing he PS3 and that I never have time for it... I dont have time to spend a couple hrs in one setting. I rather spend a random 15 mins on my Vita.

Also I see the hollywood developers making the PS3/ XBOX360 games and the smaller developers making he Vita games... give me MGS5 for the PS3 and give me Persona 5 for the Vita
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    i love handhelds and I hope sony does well with it, but i honestly think I outgrew them. the only handheld device ill bet getting next year is going to be the next ipad

Same here. Thinking of getting an ipad
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The fact that UMvC3 is being ported over to it makes me think about purchasing one. But not right away though.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    All Sony had to say was Ridge Racer and it would be a guaranteed first day buy from me.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    looks great but like everybody else said I dont really care about handhelds
  • ocelot
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I don't think u guys are seeing the possibilities.... If handhelds don't succeed then we are going to have the same games every year...
    If the vita is what i think it will be, be prepared for new classics... New games start off on the psv and if it becomes popular, the developer's get more money and make a better game for the PS3
  • funkdocdamc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    I don't think u guys are seeing the possibilities.... If handhelds don't succeed then we are going to have the same games every year...
    If the vita is what i think it will be, be prepared for new classics... New games start off on the psv and if it becomes popular, the developer's get more money and make a better game for the PS3

Well, so far the only games we're hearing about are from already established franchises. If all they are making are PSV versions of PS3 games, why the ? would we waste any money in buying the ? .

Now I'm not saying that that's all the PSV will have, but as of now look at the lineup: Uncharted, UMvC3, other ? that's already on or coming out on the PS3.....yeah...

I see you are looking at the good; You must haev forgot that we're talking about the gaming industry, which is notorious for taking good ideas and executing them poorly (The whole DLC and less content on games to charge for ? that should have been on original disc).
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    she was with murder inc last time i checked
  • funkdocdamc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    One Spliff wrote: »
    she was with murder inc last time i checked

womp womp womp ? lol
  • ocelot
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Well, so far the only games we're hearing about are from already established franchises. If all they are making are PSV versions of PS3 games, why the ? would we waste any money in buying the ? .

Now I'm not saying that that's all the PSV will have, but as of now look at the lineup: Uncharted, UMvC3, other ? that's already on or coming out on the PS3.....yeah...

I see you are looking at the good; You must haev forgot that we're talking about the gaming industry, which is notorious for taking good ideas and executing them poorly (The whole DLC and less content on games to charge for ? that should have been on original disc).

True... The first year is to bring the customer in so you have to go with the tried and true... I'm talking about in the future... It's expensive to make ps3 games... So the companies are going to keep making the same games... Which is bad for the industry(Nintendo)... I look at Vita as the appetizer and the PS3 as the main meal... Picture developers making episodic games to set up real games for the ps3.... Like uncharted golden abyss to set up uncharted 4
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

The games on PSP were different to the PS3 games and this is going to continue. So you are kind of forced to get the handheld versions to get the full story.
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    does anyone know the average amount of space a game takes up???

because the launch game cards are gonna be 2gb and 4gb

that jus doesnt sound like much space
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Looks like the best hand held ever made and a huge upgrade unlike the 3DS.there are plenty of original titles for it and not just smaller versions of console games even though every hand held has plenty of versions of console games.I am getting it for Gravity Rush and Uncharted Golden Abyss.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    True... The first year is to bring the customer in so you have to go with the tried and true... I'm talking about in the future... It's expensive to make ps3 games... So the companies are going to keep making the same games... Which is bad for the industry(Nintendo)... I look at Vita as the appetizer and the PS3 as the main meal... Picture developers making episodic games to set up real games for the ps3.... Like uncharted golden abyss to set up uncharted 4

Golden Abyss takes place before Uncharted Drakes Fortune.