Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in IllGaming
Netflix Adds Video Game Rentals
Delivery service to be named "Qwikster."
September 18, 2011

by Andrew Goldfarb
Netflix will begin offering video game rentals this fall, the company announced tonight.

In a new blog post, Co-Founder and CEO Reed Hastings announced that the company's mail delivery service will be separated from its online streaming. The new delivery service is called Qwikster, and will "add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games."

"We realized that streaming and DVD by mail are becoming two quite different businesses," Hastings wrote, "with very different cost structures, different benefits that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently."

Hastings released a short video detailing the reasoning behind the split along with Andy Rendich, head of Netflix's DVD operations and newly-minted CEO of Qwikster:

There will be no price changes associated with Qwikster, and credit card charges will appear separately from Netflix charges.

The service, which now has an official site, is set to launch "in a few weeks," but no additional details were given.

http://games.ign.com/articles/119/1195167p1.html

Comments

• Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    cheaper then GF or Redbox?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I think Gamefly will always be cheaper in the long run, you keep the game until you beat it. Even at it's most "expensive" plan, like $29 a month, that allows 3 games out at a time. Try renting 3 new games out from Redbox until you beat 'em, you're spending more than the $29. Netflix will probably have 'em for $1-$2 a night. Which again, it's cheaper with Gamefly.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    "The new delivery service is called Qwikster, and will "add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games." There will be no price changes associated with Qwikster".

I don't know how much the upgrade option is, but the standard DVD rental price is $7.99/month for one disc or $11.99/month for two disc. So even with a couple dollars extra for the "Video game/Blu Ray" upgrade...this ? would still be way cheaper than Gamefly.... and possibly RedBox just depending on the person.
  • Terrorist_Jones
    edited September 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    I think Gamefly will always be cheaper in the long run, you keep the game until you beat it. Even at it's most "expensive" plan, like $29 a month, that allows 3 games out at a time. Try renting 3 new games out from Redbox until you beat 'em, you're spending more than the $29. Netflix will probably have 'em for $1-$2 a night. Which again, it's cheaper with Gamefly.

depends,, redbox gotem for 2 bucks a night. winter time coming and ? go be inside more,, can beat a game in 2 days,, i play on easy mode too,,lol,,,
  • Terrorist_Jones
    edited September 2011
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    "The new delivery service is called Qwikster, and will "add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games." There will be no price changes associated with Qwikster".

I don't know how much the upgrade option is, but the standard DVD rental price is $7.99/month for one disc or $11.99/month for two disc. So even with a couple dollars extra for the "Video game/Blu Ray" upgrade...this ? would still be way cheaper than Gamefly.... and possibly RedBox just depending on the person.

word my ?
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    depends,, redbox gotem for 2 bucks a night. winter time coming and ? go be inside more,, can beat a game in 2 days,, i play on easy mode too,,lol,,,

........ punk ...........
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    focus wrote: »

Might be cheaper *shrugs* we will see, even if it is I don't rent games anyways. MIGHT try it out though.
  • Indy8503 HD
    Indy8503 HD Members Posts: 554
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Good, now I can dump slow azz Gamefly instead of paying for both Netflix & Gamefly like I've been doing since '05 nor do I need to consider Blockbuster anymore.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    aint blockbuster online still the cheapest tho?
  • Jemadore
    Jemadore Members Posts: 199
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I received the email...but how much is netflix going to charge? I already stream to my 360 so I'm considering this as a cheaper alternative...