Why isn't Jay-Z pushing J Cole?

Options
bigpoppa1115
bigpoppa1115 Members Posts: 174
edited May 2010 in The Reason
I don't know about you, but I'm wondering why Jay isn't pushing J Cole but he's out there saying "Drake, Drake, Drake". I'm not trying to bash Drake but you have to wonder why he doesn't say "yeah I've got this guy who is the first act I signed my new label Roc Nation and you might want to check him out..his name is J Cole and btw, he can rap"

Yeah you might say "He was on Blueprint 3, isn't that enough?"..and Yes he was..But there's no video for that song. It wasn't even a single. So why isn't he pushing J Cole and giving him shine? Then after he can just tell him "I gave you a boost, now go do your thing". J Cole is talented and the guy who signed him isn't doing anything to help him out. Its like if Dr Dre when he first got with Snoop but didn't put him on The Chronic.

Let me know what you guys think.

Comments

• bigpoppa1115
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I meant to say "its like if Dre when he first got with Snoop but wouldn't put him on The Chronic and not give him shine."
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What is there to push, what a mixtape? or do you wan't him to end up like Bleek where yall compare everything he does to Jay-z, the Kanye West approach is the best approach imo. Let him build up his own buzz like he has and build up his fanbase, then when he finally releases his single and album he can do number

PS Jay is releasing A star is born as the last single right before J Cole drops
  • trACE_evidence
    trACE_evidence Members Posts: 994 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Jay-Z seems like one of them ? that ain't tryna give up the limelight...

Not even for his homies.
  • therealist_
    therealist_ Members Posts: 3,389 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Because Cole aint sale his soul yet . lmao

sike nah .. but its because he already have to deal with "Good Ass Job" smacking his latest CD ..

He still wants that ? ass BP3 to sell .

? , if i was him - I'd sit on J.Cole too .. especially since it ? up these numbers he tryin to make . lmao
  • midwestgangsta
    midwestgangsta Members Posts: 996
    edited April 2010
    Options
    well i guess dude got two choices... sit back and wait... or make a bunch of dope ? that can't be ignored and that will be cosigned by him being affiliated with jay so he'll get twice the publicity... what you want jay to do get in the studio and whip the dude in the ass till he makes some dope ? ?
  • bigpoppa1115
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well true there isn't a mixtape or any single yet to push but you would expect that if you started a new label and signed your first artist (and you yourself are one of the genre's most influential artists) that you might want to say "yeah I've got this guy on my label and he's working on his debut album with No I.D. and some help from Kanye so you might want to check out his mixtapes and the rest of his music". you know what I mean?
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well true there isn't a mixtape or any single yet to push but you would expect that if you started a new label and signed your first artist (and you yourself are one of the genre's most influential artists) that you might want to say "yeah I've got this guy on my label and he's working on his debut album with No I.D. and some help from Kanye so you might want to check out his mixtapes and the rest of his music". you know what I mean?

That's not how the music industry work dude, not anymore, a cosign doesnt mean ? . It's about hit records and a good management, Roc Nation is a good management company, look what they did for Melanie Fionna and Wale (Interscope ? Wale and undershipped him). The question to me is, can J Cole make hit records. I don't care how nice you are or how much cosign u have, if you can't make those hits like Drake and BoB it's pointless.

LETS NOT ACT LIKE THIS ? WASN'T ON THE BIGGEST HIPHOP TOUR THIS YEAR (BP3), WITH NO ALBUM OR SINGLE.
  • DaPrinciplez
    DaPrinciplez Members Posts: 1,148
    edited April 2010
    Options
    They should just do up an average video for "Lights Please" for a start to give him a head start before his album drops.

Wale petioning harder for Cole then Hov is.....work that ? out.

Think about Kanye though, 'Ye was in the same boat is Cole is now, Jay didn't start really bein like "THIS MY DUDE" till College Dropout had already dropped and got critical acclaim, now Jay is like Kanye the future.....tssss i dont know bout Jay, he's an enigma in this rap ? .
    ? is gonna have to write an auto-biography before any of us really have a clue as to how dudes mind works.

J.Cole dope. I rep him.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    cole doesnt want that you ?

he wants to do it on his own...how many times does jay have to say that its your own job to do your ? once he puts you on.....

if you watch the interviews cole is taking a different route, if jay pushed him like that he would be a drake type ?
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Aint J.Cole still doin college? If he is maybe hes more focused on getting his degree first and Jay knows this.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Aint J.Cole still doin college? If he is maybe hes more focused on getting his degree first and Jay knows this.

nah he graduated
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I'd like to see Jay flying the Cole flag a lil' more. But then again, when it comes to business and marketing new artists, Jay has a pretty respectable record. I'm sure he knows more about the ? than I do.
  • therealist_
    edited April 2010
    Options
    cole doesnt want that you ?

he wants to do it on his own...how many times does jay have to say that its your own job to do your ? once he puts you on.....

Word? When did he say this?
    Man tell me this .. why do i see Kanye, Rihanna, and Beyonce' with Jay all the time? ? .. i see Obama and LeBron with Mr. Knowles then i see J.Cole.
    Jay dont give a ? about this dude untill he's profitable .. that's after Kanye's album, and Drakes ? drop .

But till then .. that ? better be lookin for some real friends .. you never know who really has you in that camp.
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    word? When did he say this?
    Man tell me this .. Why do i see kanye, rihanna, and beyonce' with jay all the time? ? .. I see obama and lebron with mr. Knowles then i see j.cole.
    Jay dont give a ? about this dude untill he's profitable .. That's after kanye's album, and drakes ? drop .

But till then .. That ? better be lookin for some real friends .. You never know who really has you in that camp.

let me guess shirlock, maybe he is making his album.
  • therealist_
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    let me guess shirlock, maybe he is making his album.

Smh ... J.Cole is too talented to be doing that in todays Hip Hop. the ? is new - he need to follow the Drake route and give us more music.
    When your bigger or some ? , then you can take your time on your project .. at least ? 's know what to expect from your LP's .

Homie got JAY-Z as his boss! This dude should have out there like Drake.

- Which Carter is handling his star better?
  • piffhuxtable
    piffhuxtable Members Posts: 169
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Word? When did he say this?
    Man tell me this .. why do i see Kanye, Rihanna, and Beyonce' with Jay all the time? ? .. i see Obama and LeBron with Mr. Knowles then i see J.Cole.
    Jay dont give a ? about this dude untill he's profitable .. that's after Kanye's album, and Drakes ? drop .

But till then .. that ? better be lookin for some real friends .. you never know who really has you in that camp.

He's said this in millions of interviews. He points to the Kanye approach as the path for him to take, all that is left for Cole is to make a dope album and hit singles if he can do that he'll succeed if he can't he'll fail its really that simple. He has a medium to promote his music but ultimately the music has to speak for itself.
  • piffhuxtable
    piffhuxtable Members Posts: 169
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Smh ... J.Cole is too talented to be doing that in todays Hip Hop. the ? is new - he need to follow the Drake route and give us more music.
    When your bigger or some ? , then you can take your time on your project .. at least ? 's know what to expect from your LP's .

Homie got JAY-Z as his boss! This dude should have out there like Drake.

- Which Carter is handling his star better?

Thats how you ? fail, in today's market you better build a true fanbase where you can do shows and be profitable for the rec company else you will get dropped. I think Cole is building a great fanbase in the mold of a Lupe or Nas dudes who if their contracts were up could get a deal from any label in America.
  • therealist_
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Thats how you ? fail, in today's market you better build a true fanbase where you can do shows and be profitable for the rec company else you will get dropped. I think Cole is building a great fanbase in the mold of a Lupe or Nas dudes who if their contracts were up could get a deal from any label in America.

Wow, everybody is copping attitudes today. I've already stated that (bolded) in the other J.Cole thread, (heh .. there's like 4 out there..)

Tell me ... how you going to build a fan base by starving them from your music?
    We need more product from this dude.

... How is showcasing your skills on mixtapes unprofitable to your Record Company?
    isnt that .... exposure?

I cant lie, i understand where your coming from though ..
    But too many rappers want to please the record company instead of the actual fans.
    Any rapper that starts off like that have already sold out.
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Jay Z cant push artists. period. you take away all of the behind the scenes people that kept the roc alive live Dame, Cohen, LA Reid, OG Juan and you have a awkward ass ? with no business sense.

none of you jigga warriors are making valid arguements. first of all GTFOH with that "he's taking the kanye route". The kanye route consisted on a underpaid in house producer who Jay Z didnt give a ? about until, and Dame signed and supported. Jay Z had nothing to do with the success of Kanye. Just like how LA Reid was ? with Poe Boy to get Ross, Jeezy told U he had the Lambo before REID not Jay Z. Cohen had Rihanna on deck since 2003. Jay Z didnt do anything for them ? . ? he had his own artist that flopped 3 weeks in a row. Jay Z is an overrated businessman. Dame was the think tank behind the Roc. Take away Dame and Jay Z cant do ? . Teirra Marie flop, BLEEK!!!!! flop, YGz flop.

and I dont tottally blame the camel man. J Cole is a dumb ? for sticking around. He been Roc Nation for almost 2 years and havent made a blip on mainstream radar. and if he isnt trying to get famous he needs to stick his ? up contract in his backpack and get to walkin. He should check Jay Z about co signing Drake because that is some ? ? on the real. and he need to question him about that "drop the label" line also
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Jay Z cant push artists. period. you take away all of the behind the scenes people that kept the roc alive live Dame, Cohen, LA Reid, OG Juan and you have a awkward ass ? with no business sense.

none of you jigga warriors are making valid arguements. first of all GTFOH with that "he's taking the kanye route". The kanye route consisted on a underpaid in house producer who Jay Z didnt give a ? about until, and Dame signed and supported. Jay Z had nothing to do with the success of Kanye. Just like how LA Reid was ? with Poe Boy to get Ross, Jeezy told U he had the Lambo before REID not Jay Z. Cohen had Rihanna on deck since 2003. Jay Z didnt do anything for them ? . ? he had his own artist that flopped 3 weeks in a row. Jay Z is an overrated businessman. Dame was the think tank behind the Roc. Take away Dame and Jay Z cant do ? . Teirra Marie flop, BLEEK!!!!! flop, YGz flop.

and I dont tottally blame the camel man. J Cole is a dumb ? for sticking around. He been Roc Nation for almost 2 years and havent made a blip on mainstream radar. and if he isnt trying to get famous he needs to stick his ? up contract in his backpack and get to walkin. He should check Jay Z about co signing Drake because that is some ? ? on the real. and he need to question him about that "drop the label" line also

FINALLY. somebody actually knows Jay's history. Jay is a rapper, promoter & marketing tool. like he said, I'm not a business man "I'm a business, man."
    meaning he's a funnel to where the Real Bosses can operate through and move they're product. it has always been like this. Jay is a jackal who waits for the lion to ? and then eats. like he said, "I'm like a dog I never speak, but I understand."

1986-1988 jay ran exclusively under the lion De-Haven and earned street cred in Jersey & Brooklyn

1989-1992 learned about the music biz under Jaz o but couldn't muscle his way in

1993-1994 gained mad respect for associating with Calvin Kline Bacote (the king of Bedstuy-Marcy at that time)

1994-2004 Jay went to Harlem Hustler's (Dame & Biggs) for extra backing to get into the industry. Jay needed some cats with brains-Dame & muscle-biggs. all of them were smart and this combination made a huge impact. stretching from Harlem to Brooklyn, Philadelphia and Chicago. BUT DAME WAS THE LEADER. Jay brought people to the product, Dame kept day to day management while Biggs held down the rest (just like quiet "slim" Williams does for cash money.) the rest is history.

2005-present split from the Harlem/Brooklyn combine & fully teamed up with the music industry elite; Cohen & Reid while building contact with Roc Nation. kept the streets and industry manager/business partner on deck with Spanish Harlem's OG Juan. Jay became on of the richest entertainers in the world during this time and continues to run things like this.

JAY IS SMART, BUT HE HAS NEVER BEEN THE MYSTRO BEHIND AN ARTIST OR BUSINESS. if J. Cole pops off because of Jay? it will be the first time it has ever happened.
  • blackgotty
    blackgotty Members Posts: 345
    edited April 2010
    Options
    J cole been in the news for a while now ...why u guys think its like that ?Roc nation ist not only a label ,they do also management ,marketing ...
    if u ask me for someone who´s not ready to drop a single/album yet he´s been talked about alot
  • mindright
    mindright Members Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    after listening to 'We On' and 'Who Dat', I'm starting to wonder what is this dude's purpose on the ROC??? He really doesn't need Jay and I think Cole can stand on his own . He can rap and produce so he's a double threat off the bat.. Is he a threat to Jay?? Is that why he's on ice and gotta tour with Wale?? He did kinda out shined him on 'A star is born'..

If Jay does choose to release this as his next single that would be a good look for Cole, but I'm thinking is he really gonna release another single from an album he already released 4 singles from? and why 'A star is born" when 'Already Home' has radio hit written all over it??

I don't know man, I hope this dude doesn't sit him around for 3-4 years, drake is ? music, cole spits that real.....why co-sign another dude on another rival label, from another crew when you got gold in your backyard..

smh @ jigga jay-z....

he gotta eye for talent like jordan gotta eye for basketball talent....leaves a lil to be desired...
  • bigpoppa1115
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    That's not how the music industry work dude, not anymore, a cosign doesnt mean ? . It's about hit records and a good management, Roc Nation is a good management company, look what they did for Melanie Fionna and Wale (Interscope ? Wale and undershipped him). The question to me is, can J Cole make hit records. I don't care how nice you are or how much cosign u have, if you can't make those hits like Drake and BoB it's pointless.

LETS NOT ACT LIKE THIS ? WASN'T ON THE BIGGEST HIPHOP TOUR THIS YEAR (BP3), WITH NO ALBUM OR SINGLE.

Co Signs don't mean anything? What about Wayne co signing Drake? Everyone is co signing him and he's getting major buzz. that's why his album is highly anticipated. that's why he's everywhere right now.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i wanna know where all this promotion Jay-Z is doing for Drake is? ? say that ? like Jay mentions Drake in every interview or something
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    So signing him as the first artist on RocNation, featuring him on a song on one of the top-selling hip-hop albums of 2009, co-signing him, and waiting to make the video of the song he was on to promote their upcoming debut album isn't pushing somebody? C'mon son. After that it's all on Cole's hands. Basically being the valedictorian of the XXL freshmen 10 cover was a GREAT start. Now it's in his court. Stop with the Jay z hate people

EDIT: Oh and he had him on the BP3 tour too? Y'all dudes fooling right now