Any games out there that surpassed its hype?

Options
Rated R
Rated R Members Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭
edited January 2010 in IllGaming
Im talking about games that were hyped to no end and actually turned out to live up to and surpass the hype

Comments

• One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    killzone 2

mw 2

metal gear solid 4
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
  • Rated R
    edited January 2010
    Options
    GtA4..................
  • One Spliff
    edited January 2010
    Options
    rated r wrote: »
    GtA4..................

i still aint pld that yet, is it worth it...

it gets alot of hate round here...
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    One Spliff wrote: »
    killzone 2

mw 2

metal gear solid 4
    Personally, I think Killzone 2 was overrated as ? . I mean they did say it was gonna look amazing and on that front it lived up to and surpassed the hype but as far as the actual game that ? was extra meh. I mean it wasn't bad by any stretch...just a regular ass FPS with great graphics.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    killzone 2

mw 2

metal gear solid 4

Killzone 2 was overrated but it's a still a good game. When I owned it I didn't have PSN so I don't know about the online much.

MW2 didn't live up to the hype. When they can make a better storyline with better gameplay then I can accept it. The MP is always good but it gets boring after a few matches.

MGS4, now I didn't hate the game but I really didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It was almost too boring. The damn cut scenes is what did it for me, it seems like it took up most of the game which sucks. I'm glad I didn't buy it new, and got it at a low used price. I didn't even finish it, I traded it in. This was my first MGS game ever, just wasn't my liking.

So all those games didn't live up to the hype.

Uncharted 2 lived up and surpassed. Before this game came out I got all my news through, "Infamous Gaming News" (lol no joke) this guy pressed this game so hard on this site about how great it was gonna be storyline/graphic wise yadda yadda yadda and it lives to what it was made to be by gamers/gaming sites.

Other than that, I'd have to think hard really about other games. Many games have fallen bad when hyped, just weren't good. Like Gears of War.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    MW2 was short as hell to me
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Killzone 2 was overrated but it's a still a good game. When I owned it I didn't have PSN so I don't know about the online much.

MW2 didn't live up to the hype. When they can make a better storyline with better gameplay then I can accept it. The MP is always good but it gets boring after a few matches.

MGS4, now I didn't hate the game but I really didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It was almost too boring. The damn cut scenes is what did it for me, it seems like it took up most of the game which sucks. I'm glad I didn't buy it new, and got it at a low used price. I didn't even finish it, I traded it in. This was my first MGS game ever, just wasn't my liking.

Uncharted 2 lived up and surpassed. Before this game came out I got all my news through, "Infamous Gaming News" (lol no joke) this guy pressed this game so hard on this site about how great it was gonna be storyline/graphic wise yadda yadda yadda and it lives to what it was made to be by gamers/gaming sites.

Other than that, I'd have to think hard really about other games. Many games have fallen bad when hyped, just weren't good. Like Gears of War.

Agreed with most of what you said here. When games are hyped too much, there's too much room for disappointment. As you said, Infamous used to hype the ? out of U2. But that game did deliver.

Then there was Demon Souls that just dropped out of nowhere and was one of the best of 2009 - Gamespot gave it GOTY.
  • VIBE
    edited January 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Agreed with most of what you said here. When games are hyped too much, there's too much room for disappointment. As you said, Infamous used to hype the ? out of U2. But that game did deliver.

Then there was Demon Souls that just dropped out of nowhere and was one of the best of 2009 - Gamespot gave it GOTY.

Ayo Josh, sent you on PSN that GoW demo
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Ayo Josh, sent you on PSN that GoW demo

Thank you kindly, good sir
  • VIBE
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Thank you kindly, good sir

Yeah no problem dude. I didn't know you sent me a visitors message, I was like oh ? I'm late on this. It is the exact code, so it should work. I had a freakin' Modnation Racers Key and it didn't work and it was exact.
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I've been dying for a Modnation Racers code. Really looking forward to that game.
  • VIBE
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I've been dying for a Modnation Racers code. Really looking forward to that game.

Yeah, I've been too. But let me know if it works
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I've been too. But let me know if it works

Yea, it does. Its downloading right now. Thanks again.
  • joseph sun
    joseph sun Members Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    killzone 2 surpassed its hype? uh.... no
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Batman Arkham Asylum - because you didn't expect a superhero game to live up to the hype.
  • VIBE
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Batman Arkham Asylum - because you didn't expect a superhero game to live up to the hype.

Good ? man, for real. On point with this game, Batman AA was ridiculously good. I've played plenty of superhero games and all of 'em fail, this one was fantastic. Everything was on point.
  • Lege|\|dary
    Lege|\|dary Members Posts: 474 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    MW2 was short as hell to me

Lol, hell yea

beat that ? in one night
  • Rated R
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i still aint pld that yet, is it worth it...

it gets alot of hate round here...

it just get old quick
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Uncharted 2

and for those wondering how Modnation Racers is, I've played the beta and IMO it needs much work. The driving controls are terrible and the game feels plain.
  • One Spliff
    edited January 2010
    Options

well its all personal opinion...but..

killzone online was 100% uncut raw ? ...i loved it....SP was good, nothing amazing....all in all...i loved the game

mw2 - still puttin in work on this game and enjoying it.... so far is living up and surpassing the hype most definatley...

mgs4 - nothing like it...? .

infamous is probably the worst ps3 game ive played so far, with prototype in close second...

games like that r just wack as ? 2 me...

U2 i still need to cop.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Gears of War 1 & 2, Batman AA, GTA IV (ya'll cant tell me ? ).