Is Drake Short-changing himself?

Options
S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in The Reason
Everybody knows its his hooks that drives these songs...but he has so many songs that arent even on his album that blow up

She Will...On One...In the Morning, etc

What made me make this thread is this respnse from Lil Wayne:
VIBE: You mentioned how humbled you were at the success of “She Will.” Drake, who wrote andb performs the song’s chorus, has now become a platinum star in his own right. Do you look at the guy and say, “Wow, I helped create a monster, I have to stay on my toes”?

LIL WAYNE: I don’t look at it like that. Drake is my artist. If he wasn’t my artist, then yeah maybe. But that’s my artist. He’s not [just] a friend. We’re more than friends. It’s business. It would be impossible for it to be a competition. I mean, I’m the guy’s boss.

Is this dude too nice/naiive? Or since he's gittin a check he probly dont care?

Comments

• international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    i see what you gettin at, cuz 'On one', could have def been a hit single for dude, he will still do well, but he prolly won't have a single like that on his album...
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    yea and now he's given Still Got It to Tyga
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    what you missing is that these dudes are confident. Drake is thinking if yall ? with I'm on one wait til yall hear my new ? that will be on my album
  • S2J
    edited September 2011
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    When he isnt in an album cycle.. These throwaway singles and hooks he does for people keep him hot and relevant in a game that is quick to forget its heroes...At the end of the day.. As long as he can tour.. He is good.. When touring Artist usually do a verse and a hook then its to the next song.. So it works perfectly to be honest....

I see what you sayin but 'On One' aint no throwaway...thats prolly the song of the year

And as long as Wayne doin a millie in a week, and Drake did, what, 500k...there is room for improvement (no pun intended)

If i'm him, im shootin for Eminem, Jay Z status...and them dudes was bout they business, they got credit for all they hits
  • S2J
    edited September 2011
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    what you missing is that these dudes are confident. Drake is thinking if yall ? with I'm on one wait til yall hear my new ? that will be on my album

Thats what he was thinkin after So Far Gone, right?

But Successful and Best I Ever Had were bigger than any song off TML. (different situation than now, but just sayin)
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »

But Successful and Best I Ever Had were bigger than any song off TML. (different situation than now, but just sayin)

Yea they were bigger but I'm sure he was thinking he's gonna make another hit and something bigger on TML. And he might think that every song on TML is better than Best I ever Had. But they just didn't translate into a bigger hit. These dudes are super confident
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    i'm pretty sure dude has it set up as to where he recieves ends and incentives off of the hits that he hands out .....
  • hhh thats me
    hhh thats me Members Posts: 136
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I don't get what you're tryna say.. how is he short-changing himself if people love the songs BECAUSE of Drake?

Are you saying that because the songs aint on his own albums, he's short-changing himself? Rappers have proven time and time again having a hit doesn't mean ? , you'll have a #1 song but still flop when the album #'s come in.

It's better to consistently be in the mind of the consumers. Like some other dude said in between albums he'll do hooks for other artists and stay relevant.. And even beyond that he'll release throwaways just to keep his buzz up.. Im On One, Trust Issues, Marvins Room, Dreams Money Can Buy, She Will etc.. All songs are just there for him to keep fans satiated.

Headlines isn't bigger than Im on one, but it doesn't have to be. Having the biggest single doesn't mean you'll sell the most. His next singles on TC don't have to be smash hits, everyone that buys albums already know when his ? drops and if they're interested his music they'll buy the album.
  • S2J
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I don't get what you're tryna say.. how is he short-changing himself if people love the songs BECAUSE of Drake?

Are you saying that because the songs aint on his own albums, he's short-changing himself? Rappers have proven time and time again having a hit doesn't mean ? , you'll have a #1 song but still flop when the album #'s come in.

It's better to consistently be in the mind of the consumers. Like some other dude said in between albums he'll do hooks for other artists and stay relevant.. And even beyond that he'll release throwaways just to keep his buzz up.. Im On One, Trust Issues, Marvins Room, Dreams Money Can Buy, She Will etc.. All songs are just there for him to keep fans satiated.

Headlines isn't bigger than Im on one, but it doesn't have to be. Having the biggest single doesn't mean you'll sell the most. His next singles on TC don't have to be smash hits, everyone that buys albums already know when his ? drops and if they're interested his music they'll buy the album.

Short term all that is cool.

But all these dudes should be using Jay-Z's blueprint for the long term...not content wise was business wise...i mean he started where they started, and now he's a gaziliionaire.

And the only 'feat. Jay-Z' track i can think of that went HUGE was Best of Me remix.

Other than that, all his hits were HIS songs

Im not gon profess to be an expert on how the money gets split up, but when it comes to BDS spins, percentages, royalties, etc., i do know that you bein featured vs it bein your song means less money. And for a ngga who gives prolly 50% of what he makes to Wayne and Baby, i think its a problem eventually somebody will get in his ear and explain, if not already.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    drake is short changing his ability to rap without singing and spraying purfume on the hook. This ? just need to spit that pure hip hop. The occasional hook ca be sung....but when 80% of the releases post so far gone have autotune in verses or is just a singing song its wack as ? . Drake got signed base off his first 2 mixtapes where he rapped 90% of the time cause b4 so far gone wayne heard his rapping not his singing. Now this ? gunna start groaning on the track and be wack...? outta here.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options

but those were accidental hits...they just blew up off...it's different when you PLAN for a song to be a single vs. a random album or mixtape track catching fire
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Short term all that is cool.

But all these dudes should be using Jay-Z's blueprint for the long term...not content wise was business wise...i mean he started where they started, and now he's a gaziliionaire.

And the only 'feat. Jay-Z' track i can think of that went HUGE was Best of Me remix.

Other than that, all his hits were HIS songs

Im not gon profess to be an expert on how the money gets split up, but when it comes to BDS spins, percentages, royalties, etc., i do know that you bein featured vs it bein your song means less money. And for a ngga who gives prolly 50% of what he makes to Wayne and Baby, i think its a problem eventually somebody will get in his ear and explain, if not already.

but drake needs to worry less about spins and more about legacy. This ? already got actor money and first album money. And regardless of what he does he gon make money cause of his fanbase that will support him through whatever. But from a legendary standpoint ? needs to spit more pure hip hop. Best i ever had was 3 solid verses of rapping and a little singing on the hook. Sure it was a fluke but now that drake has "made it" he should have more freedom to just spit 3 pure hip hop verses regardless of the subject matter. People will still buy it and his best songs have limited autotune and pure eminem type rapping aka forever and best i ever had.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I think Drake is just doing what he's got to do to fulfill his contract and then after that he'll go indie and focus on OVO with 40.
  • S2J
    edited September 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    but those were accidental hits...they just blew up off...it's different when you PLAN for a song to be a single vs. a random album or mixtape track catching fire

thats true...but that situation was totally different...

Im on One...how do you expalin that? You cant tell me after 1 listen he didnt know that was a blockbuster. His hook, his producer (40), but DJ Khalid gets the credit?
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options

everything youre saying is right but the reason why drakes buzz doesnt translate into super success is because he's not a hit maker

he cant sit in a room with all his resources and come out with a BIG hit

but

if kahled makes a track and says to himself ... "damn it would be hot if drake was on this hook" then he gets a bigger hit than drake can even make for himself LOL

drake is short changing himself because instead of taking the money for doing the hook ... he should be trying to convince the person courting him that they'll both be better off if the song is on HIS album instead of theirs. royalties are the true key to success in music .. because down the road when your fame inevitably goes away, what you own will be the only thing keeping you running

the fact is that drake can go get on a song like "im on one" and not realize how big of a hit it is

id offer kahled TWO free hooks in exchange for that song in todays climate (from a business stand point) .... that would make kahled atleast think like "damn .... im sure i can get some more hot ? to put him on" ....... but in all reality can he really LOL
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    thats true...but that situation was totally different...

Im on One...how do you expalin that? You cant tell me after 1 listen he didnt know that was a blockbuster. His hook, his producer (40), but DJ Khalid gets the credit?

that ? was huge, first time i heard that ? , i knew it was a problem...but what some other posters have said makes sense to, at the end of day he involved in these hits, and given the type of ? he been involved with, fans are goin to associate that with his own ability and go and pick up his album, becuz they know what he capable of and still support him, at then end of the day, just make good quality music and you should do fine.

As far as what he goin do in the future concerning young money and ? , well that his decision, but if he wants to be able to make music for a long time and really stay at relevant and be looked at as a serious artist, he needs to be more individual and maybe distance himself a bit more from young money, the writting for Alicia keys and doin ? with Stevie wonder is the type of direction that if he picks could keep him around for a long time and make him be looked at in a different light, even tho today he is looked at already in a different light, cuz the boy is talented, he wrote that jamie foxx hit too, and that alicia keys ? was tight, lol...
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    When he isnt in an album cycle.. These throwaway singles and hooks he does for people keep him hot and relevant in a game that is quick to forget its heroes...At the end of the day.. As long as he can tour.. He is good.. When touring Artist usually do a verse and a hook then its to the next song.. So it works perfectly to be honest....

nahhhh BRUH

DRAKES MIXTAPE WITH "BEST I EVER HAD" WOULDA DID BETTER AS AN ACTUAL ALBUM! HIS 1ST ALBUM WAS JUST OK COMPARED TO THAT MIXTAPE.
  • ROFL.GUY
    ROFL.GUY Members Posts: 3,117 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Drake will leave YM when hes fullfilled his contract for retail releases

he USED waynes popularity to take all his fans ROFL

guarntee you 95% of wayne fans are DRAKE fans

waynes slippin popularity and quality wise

drakes still on the come up popularity wise and quaity wise

i do hate on drake at times, but there some songs i do pay attention too..

DRAKE pretty much is a wayne clone that can kinda sing.. how to love would have been 10000X better if it was a drake song

DAETH OF THE WEIRDO 2012!
  • Smo-King Locs
    Smo-King Locs Banned Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    everything youre saying is right but the reason why drakes buzz doesnt translate into super success is because he's not a hit maker

but

if kahled makes a track and says to himself ... "damn it would be hot if drake was on this hook" then he gets a bigger hit than drake can even make for himself LOL

drake is short changing himself because instead of taking the money for doing the hook ... he should be trying to convince the person courting him that they'll both be better off if the song is on HIS album instead of theirs. royalties are the true key to success in music .. because down the road when your fame inevitably goes away, what you own will be the only thing keeping you running

the fact is that drake can go get on a song like "im on one" and not realize how big of a hit it is

id offer kahled TWO free hooks in exchange for that song in todays climate (from a business stand point) .... that would make kahled atleast think like "damn .... im sure i can get some more hot ? to put him on" ....... but in all reality can he really LOL

uh "i'm on one" was Drake song produced by TMinus & Kromatick and Then Mixxed By 40... It Was Drake song ...Wayne Heard It Then Wanted 2 Hop On It ...Then Birdman HEard It N sold it 2 Khaled...
    T-Minus Interview
    I made the beat with a co-producer that I work really closely named Kromatik. He helped me do some of the music on there. After I got the beat, I gave it to Drake, and submitted it for Take Care...
    was the co-writer and the co-producer, he did the mixing and the filtering. The melody on the beat was mostly him and pretty much the [rest of the] record was me. 40 does the filtering really well and he recorded Drake—because they go really well as far as working and producing. That’s one thing about 40, he knows how to put the record together, especially with Drake. He really arranged the record and put it together real nice.

“I was in the studio with Drake and he played it for me. I thought what Drake did was outstanding. He put a different spin on it. Even the beat is something different than what Khaled has done in the past

Second all that don't really matter whether it was drake song or not when it's being palyed 15 years down the road drake's contribution will still be on that song...

and for the record only 2 other main stream artists beside drake, consistently put out quality music in the last 2 years that in my opinion 10 years down the road will still get played, and that is ye and rozay....
  • hhh thats me
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    drake is short changing his ability to rap without singing and spraying purfume on the hook. This ? just need to spit that pure hip hop. The occasional hook ca be sung....but when 80% of the releases post so far gone have autotune in verses or is just a singing song its wack as ? . Drake got signed base off his first 2 mixtapes where he rapped 90% of the time cause b4 so far gone wayne heard his rapping not his singing. Now this ? gunna start groaning on the track and be wack...? outta here.

False.. Drake didn't get signed until half a year of So Far Gone being out.. At that point there was a bidding war, and that was not based on his fírst two mixtapes but the So Far Gone success.

You're right in that Wayne liked what he heard with Drake based on his pre-SFG music, but it wasn't from his first 2 mixtapes. He Heard Brand New, the A Milli freestyle and some other track and realized the potential he had.. So nah, the intent was never for him to do his RFI, CS type music.. When Drake released Ransom and Stunt Hard and those verses on Dedication 3 and So Far Gone... He was just a YM affiliate, he wasn't signed.

Then Universal and all the other labels got into a bidding war and he went with YM..
  • hhh thats me
    edited October 2011
    Options

but

No doubt from a profit point I 100% agree with what you're saying. Im talking more from a "who gets the credit" standpoint. If anything, his boy 40 got shortchanged for Im On One with everyone thiking Khaled produced that ? .. Drake murdered the hook, he good.. People understand what made the track big so Drake gets his due credit.

But yeah, if we talking actual MONEY off the song.. He got shortchanged.. Just like he did with them 2 singles on Birdmans Priceless. Just like he did with She Will.. Just like he did with that Jamie Foxx joint.. Just like he did with the Timbaland song Say Something.. Dude IS a hitmaker but he's a hitmaker for others lol...
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    No doubt from a profit point I 100% agree with what you're saying. Im talking more from a "who gets the credit" standpoint. If anything, his boy 40 got shortchanged for Im On One with everyone thiking Khaled produced that ? .. Drake murdered the hook, he good.. People understand what made the track big so Drake gets his due credit.

But yeah, if we talking actual MONEY off the song.. He got shortchanged.. Just like he did with them 2 singles on Birdmans Priceless. Just like he did with She Will.. Just like he did with that Jamie Foxx joint.. Just like he did with the Timbaland song Say Something.. Dude IS a hitmaker but he's a hitmaker for others lol...

Basically lol..
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited October 2011
    Options
    False.. Drake didn't get signed until half a year of So Far Gone being out.. At that point there was a bidding war, and that was not based on his fírst two mixtapes but the So Far Gone success.

You're right in that Wayne liked what he heard with Drake based on his pre-SFG music, but it wasn't from his first 2 mixtapes. He Heard Brand New, the A Milli freestyle and some other track and realized the potential he had.. So nah, the intent was never for him to do his RFI, CS type music.. When Drake released Ransom and Stunt Hard and those verses on Dedication 3 and So Far Gone... He was just a YM affiliate, he wasn't signed.

Then Universal and all the other labels got into a bidding war and he went with YM..

where in my post did i say i said he got signed pre SFG?of course i know he got signed after so far gone. All I said ways what went into waynes consideration was his pre SFG ? . ? you need to learn how to read.