White people using the n-word?

Options
Esiam
Esiam Banned Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Is it cool nowadays in the US or is it still very much a only black people, latino people ocassionally asian people can do it thing?

Are YOU cool with a white guy, girl doing it, IF it's done in the same way as a black guy, girl would use it? Or is it still taboo?

I'm not saying I would do it I was just asking out of interest

Comments

• DatNiggaB1
    DatNiggaB1 Members Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    <
    is a real black man that say ? allday...........

dont really bother me, extreme trolling where posters type ? will always get called out by me......but I honstly don't give a ? .
  • Esiam
    edited October 2011
    Options
    DatNiggaB1 wrote: »
    <
    is a real black man that say ? allday...........

dont really bother me, extreme trolling where posters type ? will always get called out by me......but I honstly don't give a ? .

Okay but I was meaning more IRL, if a white guy said ? this or ? that or even said Zup ? ? to you would it be weird? Would he get his ass whooped?
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    naw, it aint cool.. AND NEVER WILL BE!
  • Esiam
    edited October 2011
    Options
    naw, it aint cool.. AND NEVER WILL BE!

Why? Is it because the word was originally used by white slave-owners, do you feel the same way about asians or latinos using it? I'm guessing not right?
  • DatNiggaB1
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Esiam wrote: »
    Okay but I was meaning more IRL, if a white guy said ? this or ? that or even said Zup ? ? to you would it be weird? Would he get his ass whooped?

In real life a whiteboy cant call me a ? , on the webs it not a real issue.......this is a GnS thread by the way
  • Esiam
    edited October 2011
    Options
    DatNiggaB1 wrote: »
    In real life a whiteboy cant call me a ? , on the webs it not a real issue.......this is a GnS thread by the way

Oh okay... GnS? What's that?
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    esiam wrote: »
    why? Is it because the word was originally used by white slave-owners, do you feel the same way about asians or latinos using it? I'm guessing not right?

me personally...

I feel its a "black only" word...

I dont even like black people that dont know me to use it to me...
  • DatNiggaB1
    edited October 2011
    Options
    r-sanchez wrote: »
    ? ....

lol.........Flamoes
  • p-tavern
    p-tavern Members Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Its "cool," but its not cool, ya know?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Im white and i call all my friends stupid for saying it. I never said it because my grandfather is black and him being around my whole childhood with all of us and him telling me the difference in race just kind of made me see colorless
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I don't hang around white people but it doesn't fly in oklahoma but I know it does in cali
  • Fresh!
    Fresh! Members Posts: 67
    edited October 2011
    Options
    People who use the n-word are straight up ignorant.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I don't think anyone should use it. No one word belongs to one group of people to use only for themselves.
    VIBE86 wrote: »

There is no difference from a correct standpoint between nigg(er) or nigg(a). It's only a change of pronunciation, it doesn't change any meaning.

Brother and Brotha are the same exact meaning, it's only changed by how it's pronounced.

How does it go from being disrespect from using it with an 'er' to being a term of endearment with 'a'. How does it's definition change? Is it legitimately a definition change or a change in terms of the person who is saying it? (which in reality doesn't actually change the definition)

How do you think slaves back then would respond to that? Would they accept it or still view it as a derogatory word?

If you want to be upset and rant and not respond proper then don't at all, you'd be wasting your time.
    I do understand what the N word is and means. It doesn't directly affect me though, I am not black so I do not have an emotion attached to it. Although in high school I had many nick names such as, "? lover, ? -a-? ..." because my closest friends were black. They never said "? " either, they thought it was corny and were raised to not say it. One of their grandparents are VERY old fashion, grandaddy gave lectures for days.

Anyways, basically it's being said that the word "? " doesn't change by literal definition but by the person's perspective of the word, correct? Meaning, in reality, the correct definition for "? " is and always will be, still, a derogatory word. It has to be if no one else is allowed to say it and offense is taken. Otherwise it makes no sense.
    No matter which way you dudes cut it, ? and ? mean the same thing it's only changing definition by the person saying it. ? is as disrespectful as ? which is why you get upset anyone outside of being balck say ? . If ? upsets you and you feel it's disrespectful then it's a derogatory word. You've change pronunciation and made it sorta a slang word, "cool" to say.

I know I'm right for a fact. So let the heat begin....
  • LurkdogAchilles
    LurkdogAchilles Members Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    First off, I'm not cool with white people, and non-blacks in general, using the N word in my presence.

I'm also aware that it has become a popular slang term to use, and its not smart or in my best interest to fight everyone to violate what's typed above. I think we (black people) should be more responsible in using it around non-blacks so that they don't get comfortable with it, but its a lot of white people that have black people that "let" them use it, so what are you gonna do?

I say all of this because a few weeks ago I'm chilling with a couple neighbors, one white, one black. We drinking, watching football, I slipped up and said ? (describing DirecTV). I immediately realize it, but keep telling my story. Today I'm chilling with the neighbors, mixed crowd again, drinking, he says ? .

Can I really be mad?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Dont make him feel comfortable with using the word.. i blame it on the ? .
  • XIII
    XIII Members Posts: 631
    edited October 2011
    Options
    its 2011 and there's a black president. that ? can't get a rise out of me anymore
  • playmaker88
    edited October 2011
    Options
    What does having a black president or the year have to do with anything? You could have just said it don't bother you..
  • LurkdogAchilles
    edited October 2011
    Options
    yea that's how i wanna feel but it just don't sit right with me

but at the same time, i said it first
  • LurkdogAchilles
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i blame it on the ? too, but i said it. i guess in the back of my mind i'm like if i call him on it, he could say i was saying it around him and i'm being hypocritical
  • playmaker88
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i blame it on the ? too, but i said it. i guess in the back of my mind i'm like if i call him on it, he could say i was saying it around him and i'm being hypocritical
    So what, ask him why does he feel the need to say it; call him on that.. what do you get out of saying it..
  • LurkdogAchilles
    edited October 2011
    Options
    true, i still don't think anything would get accomplished when people been drinking like that though
  • Hypernova
    Hypernova Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ? is harmless, ? aren't given by me.

When used in malicious context, it's that six letter word that gets my attention.
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    don't give a ? ... What would happen if black people start referring to white people as crackas...
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Everybody want to be a ? but don't nobody really want to be a ? .