? v The Miseducation - Which LP is more important to hip hop?

Options
Pun1sher
Pun1sher Members Posts: 424
edited October 2011 in The Face Off Forum
We've all heard the same expression from ? (and ? ) that advocate for Kim...how "? changed the game", "? is a classic", or what have you.

I think we can all agree that The Miseducation is a landmark, post modern masterpiece within its own merit...however, all stanning and bias aside, which album do you think did more for hip hop?

Which LP is more influential?

This is not a thread to discuss which album is better than the other, in terms of quality (obviously, Lauryn's album wins there)...this is moreso impact vs. impact.

Comments

• mr.getwitcha
    mr.getwitcha Members Posts: 2,459 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ? was trash. ? only bought it for the album cover and the pin up that was inside. The only ones talking about ? being a classic was the ones that were hating on Nicki Minaj.

Getwitcha
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Miseducation by far, people my age don't even know who lil kim is
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    this is actually a good question

it's very close actually

wait no, actually Lil Kim had more influence

supposedly black chicks wasn't even suckin ? until lil Kim made it o.k, and she had chicks rockin different colored wigs and ?

Lauren had a great album but not such a great following

but right now I'm sure Lauren has more fans than Lil Kim

okay I just talked in circles and diidn't really make a point but ya know..............whatever
  • motrilla
    motrilla Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I thought is monumental that The Miseducation won Album of the year at the Grammys and when she made it clear in her speech that despite the singing it was Hip Hop music.

I'll never forget that moment just like when Denzel and Halle got the Oscars in the same year.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Easily ? . Whether we like it or not. We don't have any Lauren Hills now. But we have plenty of Lil Kims who are marketing themselves with the same image and substance.
  • Knightryder
    Knightryder Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    sex sells... the music industry is nothing but sex........

so with that its easy to see who had the biggest influenced......

Lil kim of course........

lauren hill album was a hip hop classic so was kim ? , but kim influenced obviously had a bigger influenced.....
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Easily ? . Whether we like it or not. We don't have any Lauren Hills now. But we have plenty of Lil Kims who are marketing themselves with the same image and substance.

good point.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Miseducation had a bigger impact.

? had more influence.

Jean Grae has neither influence or impact. Just thought I'd point that out.
  • motrilla
    edited October 2011
    Options

We don't have female Lauryn Hills but I think a lot of the male artist from Andre 3000, Kanye ,Drake all have used that singing and rapping formula that she pioneered sucessfully
  • Kwan Dai
    edited October 2011
    Options
    motrilla wrote: »
    We don't have female Lauryn Hills but I think a lot of the male artist from Andre 3000, Kanye ,Drake all have used that singing and rapping formula that she pioneered sucessfully

Nah Kid. Singing and rhyming has been part of Hip Hop for over 30 years now. Not to mention Wyclef the brains and creative motor of the Fugees was on that before Lauren even went solo.
  • motrilla
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Nah Kid. Singing and rhyming has been part of Hip Hop for over 30 years now. Not to mention Wyclef the brains and creative motor of the Fugees was on that before Lauren even went solo.

Then I challenge you to name me one solo artist prior to Lauryn Hill that did it successfully prior to her I'm not talking about rapping with an R&B hook I mean actually fusing the two together by having some R&B songs and some Rap songs on the same album and had mainstream success.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ? was trash. ? only bought it for the album cover and the pin up that was inside. The only ones talking about ? being a classic was the ones that were hating on Nicki Minaj.

Getwitcha

Kent barbie doll ass ?
  • Kwan Dai
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Then I challenge you to name me one solo artist prior to Lauryn Hill that did it successfully prior to her I'm not talking about rapping with an R&B hook I mean actually fusing the two together by having some R&B songs and some Rap songs on the same album and had mainstream success.

The success of an album is beside the point. Lauren didn't pioneer the style. Simple as that. If, you have to issue such a challenge that just says that your Hip Hop knowledge is lacking. I don't do others folks homework.
  • Rey Negro
    Rey Negro Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    shut the ? up t/s you cant be serious
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    L Boogie's album was some good music and ecompassed various musical influences on HipHop music than Kim's which was mostly made up of old school samples very prominent in the 90s HipHop scene
  • motrilla
    edited October 2011
    Options
    The success of an album is beside the point. Lauren didn't pioneer the style. Simple as that. If, you have to issue such a challenge that just says that your Hip Hop knowledge is lacking. I don't do others folks homework.

I feel the success of the album is vital in this case because without the exposure of the album sales and accolades other artist would not have emulated the style.
    The same goes for ? if Kim didn't go platinum nobody would've swagger jacked her either.
    I'm a student of the game and have listened to music for damn near 2 decades. I can't think of anyone who used the formula L Boogie did prior to her and I'd venture to say neither can you that's the real reason you won't name another artist instead of just pretending like she's not a pioneer.
  • Kwan Dai
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I feel the success of the album is vital in this case because without the exposure of the album sales and accolades other artist would not have emulated the style.
    The same goes for ? if Kim didn't go platinum nobody would've swagger jacked her either.
    I'm a student of the game and have listened to music for damn near 2 decades. I can't think of anyone who used the formula L Boogie did prior to her and I'd venture to say neither can you that's the real reason you won't name another artist instead of just pretending like she's not a pioneer.

Your not a student and this is evident. I'll play along and make this real easy for you. Queen Latifah.
  • motrilla
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Your not a student and this is evident. I'll play along and make this real easy for you. Queen Latifah.

What songs does Queen Latifah have where she sings keep in mind my original premise I'm not talking about hooks or bridges full R&B songs like L Boogie does ?

If I'm wrong I'll admit I'm wrong but you can you post a link or a Youtube or something.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Miseducation had a bigger impact.

? had more influence.
    woooooorrddd

• georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I understand Lauryn's one of the pioneers of singing/rapping entire songs, but Missy had a successful album that combined both one year before Lauryn dropped Miseducation.

I think that both are important to Hip Hop, but I think that Miseducation is more important because it showed where Hip Hop could go.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    There would be no Lauren with out Queen Latifah

lawd our memories can't be that short

can they
  • CapitalC
    CapitalC Members Posts: 2,056
    edited October 2011
    Options

Getwitcha

Basically...
    I don't really like "girl rap" but Miseducation by far....
    Lil Kim is gross to me....
  • Pun1sher
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Miseducation by far, people my age don't even know who lil kim is

What type of impact do you think The Miseducation had on hip hop?
  • Pun1sher
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Jean Grae has neither influence or impact. Just thought I'd point that out.

Too bad NOBODY agrees with you, ? .
  • Pun1sher
    edited October 2011
    Options

Did Lil Kim really pioneer her style, though?