Did you know the reason you have WiFi is because a HBCU grad invented it?

Options
GrizTitan
GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in The Social Lounge
Jesse Eugene Russell (b April 26, 1948) is an African-American inventor and one of the visionaries’ whose innovative perspectives profoundly influenced the wireless communications industry, the driver of growth in 21st century. Trained as an electrical engineer at Tennessee State University and Stanford University, and recognized globally as a thought-leader, technology expert and inventor in the field of wireless communication for over 20 years, Russell has played a major role in shaping the wireless communications industry direction through his visionary leadership and innovative perspectives for standards, technologies as well as innovative new wireless service concepts.

He holds numerous patents and continues to invent and innovate in the emerging area of next generation broadband wireless networks, technologies and services, which is frequently referred to as 4G. Russell was inducted into the United States’ National Academy of Engineering during the Clinton Administration for his innovative contribution to the field of Wireless Communication. He pioneered the field of digital cellular communication in the 80s through the use of high power linear amplification and low bit rate voice encoding technologies and received a patent in 1992 (US patent # 5,084,869) for his work in the area of digital cellular base station design.

Russell is currently Chairman and CEO of incNETWORKS,Inc. a New Jersey, USA based Broadband Wireless Communications Company focused on 4th Generation (4G) Broadband Wireless Communications Technologies, Networks and Services.
http://www.passingthetorchtv.com/russell.htm
I put this up because First I didnt know this and wanted to share and second the fact that he is an HBCU grad. HBCUs dont get credit alot of times other than athletics. And having the inventor of Wireless Communications(3G,4G, and Cloud Mobile technologies) a grad hopefully should encourage others to not over look them.

Comments

• GrizTitan
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Russell’s innovations in wireless communication systems, architectures and technology related to radio access networks, end user devices and in-building wireless communication systems has fundamentally changed the wireless communication industry. Known for his patented invention of the digital cellular base station, that enabled new digital services for cellular mobile users, Russell continues to innovate in the emerging next generation broadband wireless communication technologies, products, networks, and services as well as “Mobile Cloud Computing” which are shaping the forefront of the 4G Communication Industry.

Over 100 patents granted or in process, thirty years of experience in Research and Development at prominent institutions, and pioneering technologies such as the invention of the first digital cellular base station and fiber optic microcell utilizing high power linear amplifier technology and digital modulation techniques, which laid the foundation for the digital cellular evolution, digital cellular standards, personal communications networks as well as the emergence of “Mobile Cloud Computing” within 4G broadband wireless networks. These are only some of the inventions that have forged new directions for the wireless communication industry. Listed below are a few significant patents.

Patent No. Description
    7,437,158 Advanced multi-network client device for wideband multimedia access to private and public wireless networks
    7,120,139 Broadband cable telephony network architecture IP ITN network architecture reference model
    5,724,665 Wireless communication base station
    5,655,003 Wireless terminal having digital radio processing with automatic communication system selection capability
    5,608,780 Wireless communication system having base units which extracts channel and setup information from nearby base units
    5,257,397 Mobile data telephone
    5,084,869 Base station for mobile radio telecommunications systems
  • GrizTitan
    edited October 2011
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    HBCU s still are terrible schools and are shells of their former selfs

The curriculum is too dumbed down
    See thats what I am saying. The images of them are bad from an outsiders point of view. Then again is it the degree that was chosen came easy to the student or could it be because people that dont push themselves say this?
  • RumBoxTen
    RumBoxTen Members Posts: 187
    edited October 2011
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    HBCU s still are terrible schools and are shells of their former selfs

The curriculum is too dumbed down

Co-Sign. I didn't even know TSU was a HBCU. Props on the knowledge. Heard of a few prominent Black figures from there, but had now idea it was a HBCU. But like dude said most HBCU's are dumbed down.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    He's an electrical engineer.

No surprise there.
  • chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Why are some saying HBCUs are dumbed down? Are there no engineering, IT technology, and chemistry classes in there?

As far as the thread powerful drop, I had no idea a Black guy invented wi-fi. Can't no one say Black people are not capable of doing something.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I don't believe the curriculum at HBCUs are dumbed down.
    It depends on what you major in I guess.
  • hadezbone
    hadezbone Members Posts: 220 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ...HBCU dumb down... ? .. I went to a HBCU, and that was the time of my life.. Being able to do road trips to different Universities, I can see the difference at those campuses, I would not trade my years at my HBCU for anything in the world, being there taught me how to survive...
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Good ? , I never knew that......
  • needmorecash
    needmorecash Members Posts: 253
    edited October 2011
    Options
    wow. big ups on that read
  • Fresh!
    Fresh! Members Posts: 67
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Lol, he didn't invent WiFi. He just "profoundly influenced the wireless communications industry".

Believe it or not, this actress is one of the real inventors of WiFi: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr
  • -Vincenzo-
    -Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    like all hbcu are the same...there are good ones like howard, morehouse, hampton, spelman, tuskegee or fisk and there are bad ones like TSU etc.

just as there are good white universities like the ivy league ones and a lot of ? ones all over the country, so it's not exclusive to black colleges.