Was pan-Africanism inevitable?

Options
Huruma
Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I remember listening to a speech by Kwame Toure (formerly Stokely Carmichael) where he claimed that Africa, as a continent, would have inevitably come to view itself as having a common heritage and similar aims (even) if it weren't for European colonialism, in the same way that tribal unity in Europe eventually evolved into ethnic unity and later on to continental unity. Do you think that's true, could the idea of pan-Africanism have arose if it weren't for the slave trade/European scramble for Africa?

Comments

• Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    I remember listening to a speech by Kwame Toure (formerly Stokely Carmichael) where he claimed that Africa, as a continent, would have inevitably come to view itself as having a common heritage and similar aims (even) if it weren't for European colonialism, in the same way that tribal unity in Europe eventually evolved into ethnic unity and later on to continental unity. Do you think that's true, could the idea of pan-Africanism have arose if it weren't for the slave trade/European scramble for Africa?

I'd have to know the customs of each ethnic group in Africa and identify their similarities. This is something I'm not too familiar with. And are you referring to a period before the spread of Islam as well? The role of Islam in Africa is just as profound as the European colonization.
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Theres no ? sense of pan africanism now.
  • stillmatic_01
    stillmatic_01 Members Posts: 113
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Seeing the BRICs countries aggressively pursuing there agenda's all across the globe....It's understandable how some might think that Pan-Africanism is a safeguard against these rising powers as well as older more established powers like the US, EU, Japan, Australia, etc.