What are you views on Fraternities and Sororities?

Options
sanman86
sanman86 Members Posts: 162
edited January 2010 in The Social Lounge
Honestly I think they are a waste of time and you are nothing but a follower of a fake brotherhood/sisterhood. Am I wrong to feel this way?

Comments

• SoulRattler of Venom
    SoulRattler of Venom Members Posts: 458
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yes you are wrong. I assume you're referring to collegiate fraternities and sororities. You have to understand that in order to be successful, many people need a professional social network that can help them get important contacts, careers, and larger more critical networks. From the outside looking in, you will simply drive yourself insane trying to figure out the big secrets because there's really nothing to hide, nothing to be afraid of, and nothing to disparage.
  • sanman86
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yes you are wrong. I assume you're referring to collegiate fraternities and sororities. You have to understand that in order to be successful, many people need a professional social network that can help them get important contacts, careers, and larger more critical networks. From the outside looking in, you will simply drive yourself insane trying to figure out the big secrets because there's really nothing to hide, nothing to be afraid of, and nothing to disparage.

So basically you saying being part of the organization that excludes most of the population because you're not part of it is nothing to disparage? Fraternities and sororities to me are elitist groups who claims to help out the community but in fact is only helping out themselves.
  • SoulRattler of Venom
    edited January 2010
    Options
    sanman86 wrote: »
    So basically you saying being part of the organization that excludes most of the population because you're not part of it is nothing to disparage? Fraternities and sororities to me are elitist groups who claims to help out the community but in fact is only helping out themselves.

The key component that you are missing, sir, is that admission into these organizations is open to the general public. In a perfect world, there would be no need for exclusivity. However, we live in a world where you have to know specific people to obtain specific goals. Fraternal organizations are, for many, the first step into a more powerful or successful life... far from elitist lol don't let a few cocky people with letters on their chests mar your perception of the general organization.
  • sanman86
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The key component that you are missing, sir, is that admission into these organizations is open to the general public. In a perfect world, there would be no need for exclusivity. However, we live in a world where you have to know specific people to obtain specific goals. Fraternal organizations are, for many, the first step into a more powerful or successful life... far from elitist lol don't let a few cocky people with letters on their chests mar your perception of the general organization.

So what you're saying is that if a job opening arises, both of us are the candidates and because you are in the same frat as the boss you get hired over me? That's basically what you're saying and it's not fair in my eyes. You can name a whole lot of famous people who is affiliated with these organizations as selling points but that just add to the elitism that is part of this organizations.
  • SoulRattler of Venom
    edited January 2010
    Options
    So what you're saying is that if a job opening arises, both of us are the candidates and because you are in the same frat as the boss you get hired over me? That's basically what you're saying and it's not fair in my eyes. You can name a whole lot of famous people who is affiliated with these organizations as selling points but that just add to the elitism that is part of this organizations.

Well that sometimes can be the case but don't think that being in a fraternity automatically pushes you to the head of the line everytime. At the same time, if we both apply for the same job and have similar qualifications, why would you get mad at me or the employer for hiring me when you refused to join the given fraternity? Networks and organizations are there for you to take advantage of. If you decide to close yourself off to them, who else is to blame when you get passed over for someone who did?
  • getchamoneyrigh
    getchamoneyrigh Members Posts: 506
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Lol @ frats being some secret ? . Maybe at Harvard or something, but anywhere else they beg you to join! My phone rings off the hook with these kids trying to get me to join.

Theres no crazy admission ? . You pay a fee your in, they give you some clothes to sport, and you go and do community events with them. Maybe play some basketball or goto a party once in awhile. Its not a big deal. Really!
  • sanman86
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Well that sometimes can be the case but don't think that being in a fraternity automatically pushes you to the head of the line everytime. At the same time, if we both apply for the same job and have similar qualifications, why would you get mad at me or the employer for hiring me when you refused to join the given fraternity? Networks and organizations are there for you to take advantage of. If you decide to close yourself off to them, who else is to blame when you get passed over for someone who did?

Refused to join the fraternity? You make it seem like they ask you to join the fraternity, you have to pledge( and/or get hazed) into a fraternity. Networks should be able to be taken advantage of by hard work and determination, not because you got in a frat.
  • getchamoneyrigh
    getchamoneyrigh Members Posts: 506
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Refused to join the fraternity? You make it seem like they ask you to join the fraternity, you have to pledge( and/or get hazed) into a fraternity. Networks should be able to be taken advantage of by hard work and determination, not because you got in a frat.

Hazing is now against the law. You pledge yes, but trust me it is just a bunch of kids doing this. Its not that serious dude. If you don't wanna be apart of it in the future you dont have to be.
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    why do black frats and soros claim greek letters
  • SoulRattler of Venom
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hard work and determination gets you into a fraternity, more or less depending on the organization and chapter.
    why do black frats and soros claim greek letters
    They use Greek letters because they took cues from pre-existing White fraternities and sororities. Also, they recognized the huge impact and influence of Egyptian society upon Greece so one can also view it as taking back what was their's in the first place.
  • pharaoh1983
    pharaoh1983 Members Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Grown ass men going back to homecoming and harrassing young college girls.
    smfh that's nonsense.....
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Lol @ frats being some secret ? . Maybe at Harvard or something, but anywhere else they beg you to join! My phone rings off the hook with these kids trying to get me to join.

Theres no crazy admission ? . You pay a fee your in, they give you some clothes to sport, and you go and do community events with them. Maybe play some basketball or goto a party once in awhile. Its not a big deal. Really!

Speak for yourself on that
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    College gangs... I'm not saying all, but I have witnessed the wars that take place at some of these parties first hand.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hard work and determination gets you into a fraternity, more or less depending on the organization and chapter.

They use Greek letters because they took cues from pre-existing White fraternities and sororities. Also, they recognized the huge impact and influence of Egyptian society upon Greece so one can also view it as taking back what was their's in the first place.

So why not use Egyptian symbols rather than Greek letters and Eurocentric ideas to create their orgs?
  • SoulRattler of Venom
    edited January 2010
    Options
    So why not use Egyptian symbols rather than Greek letters and Eurocentric ideas to create their orgs?

I can't tell you why people chose NOT to do something because I wasn't there in the early to mid 1900's.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I can't tell you why people chose NOT to do something because I wasn't there in the early to mid 1900's.

Fair enough...
  • geechee slim
    geechee slim Members Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Total waste of time unless

You wanna be popular
    You wanna get girls/guys
    You wanna make ppl jealous

If I'm gonna pay $1000+ to join an organization, I want $5000 at the end of the year. You wanna be a part of something important that pays, join the military. All the frats do is party walk, clean up trash, and [sometimes] read to kids. You paid $1000 for that?
  • geechee slim
    geechee slim Members Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    College gangs... I'm not saying all, but I have witnessed the wars that take place at some of these parties first hand.

Yup, they're regular crips, bloods, GD's, Latin Kings, and Vice Lords.
  • iStayWinnin
    iStayWinnin Members Posts: 129
    edited January 2010
    Options

What org are you in my man?
  • mystery brown
    mystery brown Confirm Email Posts: 144
    edited January 2010
    Options
    If you are uninformed about these orgs, then OF COURSE you're going to have a uneducated view for it. If all you see if the hazing, the parties, and the stepping, I suggest you do some research on said organization before you give your 100% opinion on it.

Just a thought.
  • Niccolò Rossi
    Niccolò Rossi Members Posts: 31
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You definitely dont need to be rich or privileged to live in a fraternity

I guess it has its fun side if you like the gross drinking and sex (which I do) but by the same token talking to a frat kid is like snorting lines of salt and and proceeding to smash your head against a wall.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options

well if its like the Latino frats, they probably did it to get recognized in their schools and get funding from the college itself
  • Doug Funny
    Doug Funny Members Posts: 109
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Stupid Idea. I got friends who got brands on them and all that dumb ? . Im not paying for any kind of affiliation or business contacts. I will stand on my own two and take what is coming to me because I deserve it.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Doug Funny wrote: »
    Stupid Idea. I got friends who got brands on them and all that dumb ? . Im not paying for any kind of affiliation or business contacts. I will stand on my own two and take what is coming to me because I deserve it.

What I can't understand is why can't the people who have a problem with greek life just voice their opinions in an educated way. Calling it a "stupid idea", "dumb ? " not joining because "you have the will to stand on your own". Def not necessary my dude.