Moms...does spending $$$$ on yourself make you feel guilty?

Options
kat2180
kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in The Powder Room
For example, my wardrobe needs an overhaul.

Instead of doing it, I feel guilty and think of allll the things I could use the money elsewhere.

How do yall deal with that? Do you go without? Do you put it off for months until it can no longer be put off?

Comments

• kat2180
    edited October 2011
    Options
    This thread is for moms, not those who still live with their moms.

Good day.
  • kat2180
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Um no and no..now stop ruining my thread!
  • Westie
    Westie Members Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Yes it does, especially since I like nice bags and a recent split from my ex lowered my cash flow/gifts. Every time I hit the mall I have to buy them something as well so it curbs the guilt.
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    yeah, it does make me feel guilty. but then I remind myself that I work hard and deserve to spend a little on me.

I just pace myself with the things I want. Instead of getting a new wardrobe, I'll get the outfit now and shoes next payday.

• Westie
    Westie Members Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Hi Kat, you have a decent avatar. :o

I will answer this question due to the fact that most of these women on This forum are idiots(no shots)

I think you should always take care of your needs before wants. If you are not in immediately need of clothing then I don't think you should buy a whole new wardrobe.

There's nothing wrong with buying yourself a few outfits though.

Are you tired of wearing soccer mom's jeans?

? BYE.
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Kat,youre getting so much black ? pumped into ur chocha youre starting to think like a ? .Youre officially a mulato to me.
  • kat2180
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Damn Paul, how is it possible for you to not change one bit in all these years?
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    this thread is adorable :)

*waves at all the mommas*
  • Paul Hate.
    edited October 2011
    Options
    kat2180 wrote: »
    Damn Paul, how is it possible for you to not change one bit in all these years?

Yo,I always wanted to ask u something..?Are your ? hairs red or blonde?
  • kat2180
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I'm not a redhead nor blonde so why would they be?
  • Paul Hate.
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I'm not a redhead nor blonde so why would they be?

aint u a redhead...?
  • (UNKNOWN)
    (UNKNOWN) Members Posts: 787
    edited October 2011
    Options
    For example, my wardrobe needs an overhaul.

Instead of doing it, I feel guilty and think of allll the things I could use the money elsewhere.

How do yall deal with that? Do you go without? Do you put it off for months until it can no longer be put off?

I got 3 boys and feel guily about buying things for myself so i always get them something when shoping for me..

But if you getting child support and you using it for yourself youre dead wrong
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Well, if you need an overhaul, as we all do every few years then do it.
    But, this thread would be better if it was

"Moms do you feel guilty about spending child support money on yourself"

that would be a great thread.
  • kat2180
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I don't get child support so that would not be a great thread.
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I don't get child support so that would not be a great thread.

Props for not calling the cops on that man.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Absolutely. I didn't spend money on myself for the first 3 years of his life. And 'til this day, even though I know a mother needs something for herself and deserves to have things she wants sometimes rather than only spending on what she needs (and even that is often sacrificed), I still feel bad anytime I indulge. Comes with the territory but I know that the key is balance. We give so much of ourselves without expecting anything in return so we should be able to treat ourselves here and there and that could be as simple as buying a pair of jeans or shoes we really like.

It's often a battle of necessity and if I don't need it for survival, I usually pass on it. I always prefer shopping for my son over myself.

This reminds me of this mother on the train who was covered in Louis or Gucci from head to toe meanwhile her child was looking a straight mess in some hand me downs. SMDH!
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

• Conscious__Nkechi
    edited October 2011
    Options

If we wanted your opinion we'd ask, and clearly, we did not :D
  • kat2180
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Absolutely. I didn't spend money on myself for the first 3 years of his life. And 'til this day, even though I know a mother needs something for herself and deserves to have things she wants sometimes rather than only spending on what she needs (and even that is often sacrificed), I still feel bad anytime I indulge. Comes with the territory but I know that the key is balance. We give so much of ourselves without expecting anything in return so we should be able to treat ourselves here and there and that could be as simple as buying a pair of jeans or shoes we really like.

It's often a battle of necessity and if I don't need it for survival, I usually pass on it. I always prefer shopping for my son over myself.

This reminds me of this mother on the train who was covered in Louis or Gucci from head to toe meanwhile her child was looking a straight mess in some hand me downs. SMDH!

Nice post Marley.

I'm the same way with my daughter and shopping for her more than myself. It really wasn't as big of a deal previously but now I worry more about it because I have a man I want to look nice for...I'm still working on finding that balance.

BTW..chicks like that are horrible and I don't see how they manage to walk around like its okay.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Nice post Marley.

I'm the same way with my daughter and shopping for her more than myself. It really wasn't as big of a deal previously but now I worry more about it because I have a man I want to look nice for...I'm still working on finding that balance.

BTW..chicks like that are horrible and I want see how they manage to walk around like its okay.

:)
    Exactly.
    And not only just that alone, a mother still wants to look and feel good about herself but of course with our children it's not our first priority so often times it does get neglected. I will say that a good sale goes a long way and majority of the time, if it isn't a bargain or on special, it's not happening. You'd be surprised how easily you can put together different pieces that look like you've spent hundreds of dollars meanwhile the entire outfit cost under $100. Gotta love it!

It's a safe assumption that they are selfish and have no shame whatsoever. Not to mention lacking sense considering our children are very much a representation of us. I could more easily walk out of the house with my own hair not looking 100% on point than I could my sons. Not saying I would go outside looking a hot mess, no no, but maintaining his hair (daily) is more necessary.
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    this thread is for moms, not those who still live with their moms.

Good day.
    dam.. Thats the best comeback that ive ever heard from you @ lol @ mvp for the shots @ du
  • 6ft5
    6ft5 Confirm Email Posts: 2,127 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Kat I feel like you should treat yourself to nice things from time to time your not neglecting your child by purchasing a few things for yourself. Your child is still your number one priority and that's a good thing but you need to make sure your wardrobe is still presentable not only for yourself but so that your husband still finds you attractive.
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Doesn't make me feel guilty because I don't go around hoarding ? for myself while my kid walks around looking bummy. I have a friend who does that. It's not my place to speak on it but it bothers me.
    My kid will always look better than me. If she's straight, I have no problem buying things for myself. The only time I couldn't do it that way was when I had to buy clothes for my job. The dress code is super strict so I really had no choice. Other than that, I make sure she's set before I think of getting something for me. Should be natural for mothers if you ask me.
  • akomax
    akomax Members Posts: 483 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    6ft5 wrote: »
    Kat I feel like you should treat yourself to nice things from time to time your not neglecting your child by purchasing a few things for yourself. Your child is still your number one priority and that's a good thing but you need to make sure your wardrobe is still presentable not only for yourself but so that your husband still finds you attractive.

this message has been brought to you by the simping king,
    first on kat's simping
  • 6ft5
    6ft5 Confirm Email Posts: 2,127 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    akomax wrote: »
    this message has been brought to you by the simping king,
    first on kat's simping

so having an opinion is simping now? No wonder way half y'all ? don't know how to converse with a women ? any opportunity you get to,your to worried about being called a simp. Step your thought process up maybe you can learn a thing or two about women from a real ? you ? lame.....