Akira: Greatest Anime of All Time

Options
Dr.Chemix
Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Lights, Camera, Action!
So nobody knows about Akira on da IC. Great anime. Took me about 4 or 5 times to fully understand it.

Some of the themes could be discussed today. Gov't control. People hungry to follow orders or find order in chaos, i.e. religion. The obsession of power and it's consumption. Is it deadly or beneficial? Friendship and loyalty. Coming of age. The past that never leaves but only shapes who we are.

The anime will always be my favorite and my greatest. No other anime, IMO, sent such a message as Akira did. I hope with the new movie that message doesn't get obscured.

But if you got time and a open mind, check out Akira...

The bottom sig is a quote from Einstein but doubles as a synopsis...as Tetsuo stares into Akira

Comments

• tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Man I remember sneaking to watch this ? one night in high school. One of those "I don't care about school in the morning so I'ma stay up all night nights." That ? blew my mind.

I find some of the best movies I've watched have been random finds.

? was crazy as ? though
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i cant remember if i understood it or not, ima have to watch it again
  • sownlife
    sownlife Members Posts: 15
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I was like in the 4th or 5th grade when I first saw it and I did not understand a damn thing about that movie. I remember watching the commercial on the Sci-Fi chaneel for it and saw that Red futuristic bike he had and I had to watch it.
  • chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Can't remember when it came out but as a kid on vhs tapes the preview used to be on there and I saw that it was rated r so I had always wanted to see it. A few years ago I finally saw it and I think its great. Definitely a must watch even if you aren't into anime(im not).
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    not the greatest by far.. but pretty ground breaking for getting anime popular in america....
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Watched it a long time ago when I was real young, I'd have to check it out again. But I did remember liking it....
  • TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    not the greatest by far.. but pretty ground breaking for getting anime popular in america....

name the 3 greatest then
  • louis rich
    louis rich Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote: »
    i cant remember if i understood it or not, ima have to watch it again

....................................this^^^
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I was into anime tough as a kid, watched Akira at 10 didn't understand ? in the movie. Watched it again at 21 realized that it's a non debatable classic.
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    AKIRA Is The Citizen Kane of Anime....GOAT Status EASY....
  • bscoop
    bscoop Members Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I thought Akira was a great movie but I don't understand how people make it into this ultra ground breaking movie....I don't understand it....