Whats the true origin of religion?

Options
TX_Made713
TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Enough of the mindless diss threads. Believe it or not I do remember a time when this place was a good knowledge base to learn.

With that said,what is truly the origin of religion?

Origin of Religion - Ancient Foundations
The origin of religion can generally be traced to the ancient Near East and classified in three basic categories: polytheistic, pantheistic and monotheistic. Atheism is really a modern belief that resulted from the "Enlightenment" period of the 18th century.

Origin of Religion - Polytheism
The origin of religion and polytheistic systems: Polytheism (a belief in many gods) is thought to have originated with Hinduism in about 2500 BC. Hindu beliefs were recorded in the Bhagavad Gita, which revealed that many gods were subject to a supreme Brahman ? . Polytheism was also the religion of many other ancient cultures, including Assyria, Babylonia, Egypt, Greece and Rome. The ancient polytheistic belief systems viewed gods as being in control of all natural events such as rainfall, harvests and fertility. Generally, polytheistic cultures believed in sacrifices to appease their gods. For instance, the Canaanites sacrificed to the male ? , Baal, and his female counterpart, Ashteroth. Baal controlled the rain and the harvest, while Ashteroth controlled fertility and reproduction. The Greeks and Romans developed polytheism to a highly structured pantheon of gods and goddesses.

Origin of Religion - Pantheism
The origin of religions and pantheistic systems: Pantheism (a belief that all is ? ) prevailed in numerous ancient cultures. The belief that the universe itself was divine was typified in the Animism beliefs of the African and American Indian cultures, the later Egyptian religion under the Pharoahs, and Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism in the cultures of the Far East. Pantheistic beliefs are also finding resurgence among various New Age movements. Generally, pantheism is the principle that ? is everything, and everything is ? . Therefore, nature is also part of ? . We must be in harmony with nature. We must nurture it and be nurtured by it. Mankind is no different than any other animal. We must live in harmony with them, understand them, and learn from them, focusing on the relationship between mankind and the elements of nature.

Origin of Religion - Monotheism
The origin of religion and monotheistic systems: Monotheism (a belief in one ? ) is the foundation of the Judeo-christian-muslim line of religions, which began with a man named Abraham in about 2000 BC. From this point in history, ? began revealing Himself to the world through the nation of Israel. The Jewish Scriptures record the journey of the Israelites from slaves in Egypt to the "promised land" in Canaan under the leadership of Moses. During a period of about 1500 years, ? revealed what became the Old Testament of the Bible, relating the history of Israel with the character and laws of ? . During the period of the Roman Empire, Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem as the long-awaited Messiah. The ministry of Jesus ended in about 32 AD with His crucifixion and resurrection. After Christ's ascension into heaven, the Christian church grew in His name and the New Testament was written. About 600 years later, Muhammad began preaching in Mecca. Muhammad believed he was the ultimate prophet of ? , and his teachings became the precepts of Islam as recorded in the Qur'an.

Origin of Religion - Important Dates in History:

* c. 2000 BC: Time of Abraham, the patriarch of Israel.
* c. 1200 BC: Time of Moses, the Hebrew leader of the Exodus.
* c. 1100 - 500 BC: Hindus compile their holy texts, the Vedas.
* c. 563 - 483 BC: Time of Buddha, founder of Buddhism.
* c. 551 - 479 BC: Time of Confucius, founder of Confucianism.
* c. 200 BC: The Hindu book, Bhagavad Gita, is written.
* c. 2 to 4 BC - 32 AD: Time of Jesus Christ, the Messiah and founder of Christianity.
* c. 32 AD: The Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
* c. 40 - 90 AD: The New Testament is written by the followers of Jesus Christ.
* c. 570 - 632 AD: Time of Muhammad, who records the Qur'an as the basis of Islam.

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited May 2010
    Options
    6000-3000 BC, the Sumerians should also be on the list of important dates, they were the first people to write down their beliefs as well. They were THE FIRST to acually speak about gods coming on flying machines and helping to advance human life. They are also the first to start city type structures in which they attribute to gods showing them how to build them. I guess maybe they arent on the list because they werent really the religious mold used but imo they should be.
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    TheCATthatdidntDIE Members Posts: 918
    edited May 2010
    Options
    not judeo christian judeo zoroastrianism or however its spelled. came before christianity, but in the fast paced religion squabble, christianity ate it. look up Jim Morrison or The Doors... the religion originated in persia if i am correct
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »

With that said,what is truly the origin of religion?

Ignorance. And so does everything else. Everything we know came from ignorance.
  • demandred
    demandred Members Posts: 142
    edited May 2010
    Options

Explain

(need10characters to post)
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited May 2010
    Options
    demandred wrote: »
    Explain

(need10characters to post)

At first we don't know something(ignorance) and then we do. Out of ignorance comes knowledge, like sound comes out of silence.
  • TX_Made713
    edited May 2010
    Options
    aw ? , My E baby done entered the thread

my bad demandred...i got to steal her from you

i remember how yall use to get down
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    edited May 2010
    Options
    At first we don't know something(ignorance) and then we do. Out of ignorance comes knowledge, like sound comes out of silence.

sound logic. if one were to follow that logic, out of death comes life....or out of life comes death. and out of witnessing death comes questions about death. out of questions comes "answers" out of answers comes religion. out of religion comes conflict, out of conflict comes war. our of war comes death again....
  • hrap-120
    hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I guess Akheneton was too black to make the list???
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    edited May 2010
    Options
    hrap-120 wrote: »
    I guess Akheneton was too black to make the list???

tell me about that one. (without the white devil stuff please)
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options

Is it really that Simple????
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited May 2010
    Options
    For the most part, theories that explain the unexplainable of that time...
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    What is religion?

I have seen many different explanations on this board.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Bout time u got off all those sub par threads

The origin of which religion?

Religion is just a set of beliefs based on selected facts.

Some beliefs are true. Some are falsehoods. In that, most religions, which are from men, deal with a mixture of both.

Most religions might stumble upon a true belief here and there every once in a while, but the vast majority of their time is spent in dealings with beliefs that ? don't agree with.

? is the one that provides truth. ? cannot lie.

? has revealed the true set of beliefs to follow in His word.

Why waste time in practicing and living by a set of beliefs that come from men when ? has saved us the trouble of taking guesses by revealing the truth?
  • And Step
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Bout time u got off all those sub par threads

The origin of which religion?

Religion is just a set of beliefs based on selected facts.

Some beliefs are true. Some are falsehoods. In that, most religions, which are from men, deal with a mixture of both.

Most religions might stumble upon a true belief here and there every once in a while, but the vast majority of their time is spent in dealings with beliefs that ? don't agree with.

? is the one that provides truth. ? cannot lie.

? has revealed the true set of beliefs to follow in His word.

Why waste time in practicing and living by a set of beliefs that come from men when ? has saved us the trouble of taking guesses by revealing the truth?

In what way has this truth been revealed?

No rhetoric please.
  • And Step
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    The orgins of religon is fear.

Nope. Some of the most fearless people I have met are religious people.

The origin of religion is intelligence that realizes that everything in creation has order and regulation if it wants to sustain itself in creation.
  • And Step
    edited May 2010
    Options
    oliverlang wrote: »
    For the most part, theories that explain the unexplainable of that time...

Sounds a lot like science.
  • Rock_Well
    edited May 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    In what way has this truth been revealed?

No rhetoric please.

By means of the Holy Spirit, through the inspired writings of prophets and apostles, the holy men of ? , before us.

All in The Book my man.
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    A little off topic but most religions tell the story of a great flood. Perhaps this great flood they speak of could have been a result of the flooding that would have occured with the melting of the ice caps, signifying the end of ice age. Perhaps religion is all we have left to commemorate a time in human history long forgotten. Washed and buried away.
  • And Step
    edited May 2010
    Options
    By means of the Holy Spirit, through the inspired writings of prophets and apostles, the holy men of ? , before us.

All in The Book my man.

Rhetoric.

These are all men. You said that we should not listen to men. Prophet and apostles were men. Contradiction.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Probably a better question to ask is what is the true purpose of religion; what is it's true objective? It suppose to help us try to deal with the questions of why we are here, what's wrong with the world, what is considered right or wrong, and what can be done so everyone knows? Nowadays it serves a totally different purpose.
  • melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    there is no true religion
  • Rock_Well
    edited May 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Rhetoric.

These are all men. You said that we should not listen to men. Prophet and apostles were men. Contradiction.

Listening to men that were not sent by ? would be the contradiction.

Listening to men sent by ? (Apostles, true Prophets) would be......acceptable.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited May 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    aw ? , My E baby done entered the thread

my bad demandred...i got to steal her from you

i remember how yall use to get down
    b305727d.gif

sound logic. if one were to follow that logic, out of death comes life....or out of life comes death. and out of witnessing death comes questions about death. out of questions comes "answers" out of answers comes religion. out of religion comes conflict, out of conflict comes war. our of war comes death again....

Out of everything comes everything. Something doesn't come from nothing.

tri3w wrote: »
    Is it really that Simple????

I think it may be; though understanding always increases.
  • TX_Made713
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Most religions are plagerized:

Wheres blue falcon to post the zeitgiest vids
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The unknown...people dint know so they made their best guesses. Those guesses became fables over time and since they were the best available explanation people mistook them for facts.