Dr. Boyce: "NCAA Athletes Now Demanding to be Paid Like their Coaches."

Options
cobbland
cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
Dr. Boyce: NCAA Athletes Now Demanding to be Paid Like their Coaches

ncaa-basketball-09-20081030041135599_640w.jpg

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Syracuse University – Scholarship in Action

Over 300 college football and basketball players are now demanding that the NCAA come out and share a piece of their multi-billion dollar economic pie. Scores of athletes have signed a petition asking the NCAA to “realize its mission to educate and protect us with integrity.”

Players from prominent athletic programs such as Kentucky and UCLA have joined with the National College Players Association to sign the petition, which was sent to the NCAA last week.

Among other things, the petition asks the NCAA to put aside funds from an estimated $775 million in new TV deals into an ‘”educational lock box” for athletes in revenue-generating sports. The money could be used to cover educational expenses for the athletes if the athletes use up their eligibility before they graduate. Most significantly, the players get the money with no strings attached once they graduate.

“I really want to voice my opinions,” said Georgia Tech defensive end Denzel McCoy. “The things we go through, the hours we put in, what our bodies go through, we deserve some sort of (results). College football is a billion dollar industry.”

McCoy says that the other players on his team signed the petition “with ease,” as they are starting to learn their economic value. Currently, the NCAA earns more money during its post season than the NFL, NBA and Major League Baseball. The Pac 12 conference just signed a $3 billion dollar television rights deal with Fox Sports, with coaches and administrators making their families wealthy with the proceeds. At the same time, a large percentage of the athletes who actually earn the money have families who live in poverty.

A 2010 study done at Ithaca College showed that the average NCAA athlete in revenue-generating sports operates at a personal deficit, paying $2,951 per year in school-related costs. They are also not allowed to get jobs or receive money from outside sources, so their scholarships do not cover their entire cost of attending college. All the while, many universities receive hundreds of thousands of dollars from every single nationally-televised basketball or football game, and NCAA executives live a lavish lifestyle with very high salaries.

NCAA spokesman Bob Williams said the NCAA “redirects nearly all of its revenue to support student-athletes.”

“Of its approximately $775 million in annual revenues, the NCAA invests 96 percent, or 96 cents of every dollar, in student-athletes through direct distributions to individual campuses and conferences; the funding and administration of national championships; and other direct support, such as the Student Assistance and Academic Enhancement funds in Division I.”

What I find so interesting about Bob Williams’ “funny math” (I’m sure he himself earns a few hundred thousand dollars per year off the backs of NCAA athletes) is that if it were true that most of the NCAA revenue were going to student athletes, then he would not have millions of dollars to pay NCAA coaches. The list of the highest paid coaches in college football shows that even the poorest of coaches on the list (Jeff Tedford at The University of California), earned $2.3 million dollars last year. The highest paid coach (Nick Saban at Alabama) earned over $5 million. When you’re forcing yourself to share misleading information or tell flat out lies to protect the “integrity” of a deeply flawed system (as well as refusing to debate your position in public - we couldn’t get the NCAA to appear with us on CNN or ESPN), you’re pretty much working to defend something that simply can’t be justified.

As a professor at the college level for the last 18 years, I can say that the NCAA is likely the most corrupt system in America, behind the prison industrial complex. Even ignoring the glaring racial divides, I’ve seen countless cases in which athletes have had a tremendous amount of pressure put on them by coaches who are only hired to win games and earn their multi-million dollar salaries. Studying becomes an extracurricular activity for the athlete who is being coached by a man who is only rewarded for a high winning percentage, not graduation rates. By systemic design, any athlete who tries to put academics ahead of athletics is severely punished for doing so.

The NCAA seems to want to maintain a principle of equity through amateurism. I have no problem with this idea if it is applied fairly. So, if the multi-million dollar basketball player must have a compensation level that matches the kid on the soccer team, then the basketball coach should have the same salary as the soccer coach. Also, athletes should not be asked to play games on school nights, and they should be allowed to miss games if they have an exam. Finally, the same rule stating that athletes are not allowed to receive gifts or benefits from their work should apply to coaches and the NCAA itself, who are quick to sign every endorsement deal they can get their hands on. You can’t have it both ways.

But of course my ideas represent a fantasy world. It would cost too much for the NCAA to actually make education a top priority. If education were the dominant focus of the NCAA, they would restrict coaching salaries to less than $100,000 per year, and structure contracts that reward coaches for educating players, not winning games. The NCAA loves to put professional pressure on the backs of young athletes, while keeping nearly all the professional rewards for themselves. They ask the athletes to do all the work, while administrators, coaches and commentators keep the bulk of the money…all they have to do is maintain the label “amateur student athlete,” even if every aspect of the athlete’s existence serves as evidence to the contrary.

Athletes deserve labor rights, they should be allowed to unionize, and they should have the same rights as any other American to earn money from whomever they please. It should not be a scandal whenever a player bringing millions to the university is able to get a few thousand dollars from a booster to keep his mother from being evicted. To accept the system in its current form is nothing less than entirely unethical and unAmerican. NCAA administrators should be ashamed.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is the founder of ALARM, The Athlete Liberation Academic Reform Movement. To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email, please click here.

http://boycewatkins.wordpress.com/2011/10/25/dr-boyce-ncaa-athletes-now-demanding-to-be-paid-like-their-coaches/

Comments

• b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ehh.. depends. give them part time job money during the season. anything more is ridiculous since they already getting a free ride through college with room and board
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i cant help but lol at the fact that NBA college basketball games dont even exist anymore. Like braze i agree besides a stipend i don't think you should get more than that. Players do not have to sign a scholarship if they feel like it. I agree that players get ripped off money wise but thats what you sign up for. ? don't understand how powerfull a full ride through college is/can be. Hell if I had the skill to be a D-1 player i would be milking that ? to get a good ass major and a good ass look on my degree. I mean im graduating this may from a decent school but having a full ride and being at a nice D-1 school would help allot more.
  • PPLSIntiative
    PPLSIntiative Members Posts: 222
    edited October 2011
    Options
    b*braze wrote: »
    ehh.. depends. give them part time job money during the season. anything more is ridiculous since they already getting a free ride through college with room and board

It's not a free ride. Most athletic scholarships have to be renewed yearly. Secondly, these athletes pay for the cost of attendance with their bodies and their minds. Specifically regarding basketball and football players the rigorous schedule including the offseason does not allow for a great investment in academics. The university did not bring them their for academic prowess they brought them there to help generate funds received during the football and basket ball seasons.

Payment for services is the basic concept of labor. Trading a 60k education for at least 1 mil in services rendered is in no way a fair deal.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited October 2011
    Options
    It's not a free ride. Most athletic scholarships have to be renewed yearly. Secondly, these athletes pay for the cost of attendance with their bodies and their minds. Specifically regarding basketball and football players the rigorous schedule including the offseason does not allow for a great investment in academics. The university did not bring them their for academic prowess they brought them there to help generate funds received during the football and basket ball seasons.

Payment for services is the basic concept of labor. Trading a 60k education for at least 1 mil in services rendered is in no way a fair deal.

but as I said as unfair as it is a player does not need to accept the deal. If superstar prospects really wanted to shake ? up they would make a junior or amateur league.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i read somewhere that if players REALLY want to show some onions and get some real media attention to the subject they need to boycott a bowl game. mayber boycott some ? bowl game this year. and then boycott an average bowl game next year.

but the problem there is that this will only help future college athletes get paid, and these guys aren't concerned with what happens after they leave school. they just want their compensation. another problem is that the bowl games are one time where players do get to receive benefits. ipads, meals, hotels, etc...

now i'm no cykick, but I think if some well known teams did start boycotting bowl games and made a big enough fuss about getting paid, the issue would be brought more to the mainstream.
  • b*braze
    edited October 2011
    Options

its renenwed if they play well enough to stay on the team, right. like i said pay them during the season. anything other than that is overkill. and i wouldnt call what they do in the off season "rigorous" unless its voluntary

and you do realize there are NBA/NFL professional players not even getting paid $1 mill. my numbers aint exact but maybe like 10% of college athletes are good enough to go pro and even less than that who actually amount to anything in these leagues, but that free education they earned oughta be somethin they could/should fall back on

and think back to last years march madness... can you honestly say all those players "earned" a million dollars with their play?

compared to say... desean jackson who was only payed $440k last year in the NFL
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

applause for this post

times have changed and mofos can't keep acting like schools and the NCAA aren't making close to a billion yearly off of these kids

it's damn near a scam.....................how many people actually sit and consider how much a ticket cost to go to an SEC football game? then look at the amount of people in the stands

then look at the contracts with Nike

then look at the TV contracts

then look at extras like NCAA Football video games, memorabilia, and etc

it's pretty much criminal that the average coach is making 1 mil a year (plus much of his staff makes six figures as well) while each player is only getting that 60k education
  • b*braze
    edited October 2011
    Options
    applause for this post

times have changed and mofos can't keep acting like schools and the NCAA aren't making close to a billion yearly off of these kids

it's damn near a scam.....................how many people actually sit and consider how much a ticket cost to go to an SEC football game? then look at the amount of people in the stands

it's pretty much criminal that the average coach is making 1 mil a year (plus much of his staff makes six figures as well) while each player is only getting that 60k education

a good deal of that money goes to pay for the stadium they are leasing, employing people to work there (concession stands, ticket vendors, security, custodial workers, etc), medical personnel, athletic trainers, athletic facilities on campus, equipment, coaches, scouts, transportation to away games, flying in out of state recruits for visits, hotels, teachers. and the football money dont just stay with the football programs. the athletic department spreads that money among all their athletic programs for all the same purposes

they not just stashin that ? away in their back pockets
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Also anyone who thinks paying players will reduce the corruption and shadiness of college football is chris johnson stupid
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited October 2011
    Options
    applause for this post

but as i said earlier you do not have to sign the contract. If ? feel like college football is ripping them off then make an amateur league or an alternative. Or don't play. People act like the contract being offered to players when the sign a form of intent garuntees them money of revenue which it doesnt. that is the point i am trying to make. a free education is better than nothing. if you don't like the rules don't play college football and go play canadian footall for a few years.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited October 2011
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    Also anyone who thinks paying players will reduce the corruption and shadiness of college football is chris johnson stupid

which is why i think its not worth trying to fight for it. like you said ? getting gift bags at bowls with i pads and macs and dre headphones under the current system. Also think about how much ? you getting just for being on the team. If you weight 350 and you not on the team= limited skank ? . But you playing every saturday on the squad = better ? than you would get outside being on the team. Take the benifits of being on top of the college world and having a full ride and suck up the lack of other revenue.
  • blakfyahking
    edited October 2011
    Options
    a good deal of that money goes to pay for the stadium they are leasing, employing people to work there (concession stands, ticket vendors, security, custodial workers, etc), medical personnel, athletic trainers, athletic facilities on campus, equipment, coaches, scouts, transportation to away games, flying in out of state recruits for visits, hotels, teachers. and the football money dont just stay with the football programs. the athletic department spreads that money among all their athletic programs for all the same purposes

they not just stashin that ? away in their back pockets

of course not, but they still paying these kids peanuts compared to what the staff there is earning

the system is still broke for several reasons IMO cause those players are still being exploited in a sense

and as far as reducing corruption, nah it won't stop it

but it will at least justify some of the harsh punishments that some of these schools and student receive for getting caught

mofos refuse to just come right out and admit that it's a business
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited October 2011
    Options
    of course not, but they still paying these kids peanuts compared to what the staff there is earning

the system is still broke for several reasons IMO cause those players are still being exploited in a sense

but it will at least justify some of the harsh punishments that some of these schools and student receive for getting caught

but at the same time the players are expoiting the schools too. A ? who plays on a sec team can go for an interview at a boosters company post graduation and get a job. Also players use one schools offer to get another school jealous and play games with schools. Do school exploit players....yes but its a 2 way street. ? need to wake up and see that life is not fair. There will never be an even or fair way fro everyone to get equal payment or respect but hell a full ride and connections to boosters even if you don't play a down in the NFL is a ? ton of things to have as a student. NFL teams even with revenue sharing are making millions more than the biggest schools profit from essetally free labor.

As a current college student i see hundreds of ways a player benifits off a top notch school. Pretty much free liquor for life....free summer classes and ? so during the year your course load is a joke. Free ? , free food through buddies and party food. free travel to bowl cities and big away games. Free connectctions to big named people who have big companies. etc.
  • b*braze
    edited October 2011
    Options

they not (supposed to be) payin them at all. and i agree they are being exploited, but i disagree with paying them like professionals, for the simple fact that they are NOT professionals and as such, havent earned that kinda money. then if you treat them like professionals, some players are obviously worth more than others and then you run into the same problems the professional leagues have. you hand out bigger contracts to 5* recruits that dont pan out and you have that 3* athlete that outplays his recruiting contract by far, what do you do? smh @ college sports having lockouts

im all for paying them during the season tho. just not like professionals
  • blakfyahking
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    but at the same time the players are expoiting the schools too. A ? who plays on a sec team can go for an interview at a boosters company post graduation and get a job. Also players use one schools offer to get another school jealous and play games with schools. Do school exploit players....yes but its a 2 way street. ? need to wake up and see that life is not fair. There will never be an even or fair way fro everyone to get equal payment or respect but hell a full ride and connections to boosters even if you don't play a down in the NFL is a ? ton of things to have as a student. NFL teams even with revenue sharing are making millions more than the biggest schools profit from essetally free labor.

As a current college student i see hundreds of ways a player benifits off a top notch school. Pretty much free liquor for life....free summer classes and ? so during the year your course load is a joke. Free ? , free food through buddies and party food. free travel to bowl cities and big away games. Free connectctions to big named people who have big companies. etc.

the bolded tells me you should know better tho............

cause there are plenty of cats who play in college who never make it to the next level............and there are plenty who make it to the next level, and yet still years later are ? up after making millions

this current system perverts what a college education is supposed to be about..............if the school wants to promote athletics over academics, then they need to pay their players since they make so much off of their effort

people talmbout free connections and interviewing at jobs, that's ? ...................cause between practice and training and school, plus many have the stipulation that they can't have a part time job, these athletes ain't got it as made as you think

the few that do take advantage may benefit, but overall most of these players are getting screwed
    they not (supposed to be) payin them at all. and i agree they are being exploited, but i disagree with paying them like professionals, for the simple fact that they are NOT professionals and as such, havent earned that kinda money. then if you treat them like professionals, some players are obviously worth more than others and then you run into the same problems the professional leagues have. you hand out bigger contracts to 5* recruits that dont pan out and you have that 3* athlete that outplays his recruiting contract by far, what do you do? smh @ college sports having lockouts

im all for paying them during the season tho. just not like professionals

I'm not saying pay them like professionals

but what I am saying is pay them commensurate to what they bring to the school

if a college can justify paying a coach 1 mil, how you gon turn around and say the star players only deserve what they get in terms of their scholarship?

and what about the other mediocre players who make the stars look good?

people are really underestimating these salaries some of the staff get...................it's not out of the ordinary for even a small school to pay a football or basketball coach 500k

but yeah the kid has the choice not to sign, but it's all risk for the player and mostly gain for the school...............the system needs to be made a little more fair

we are not talking about back in the days where schools funded their athletic programs thru donations from alumni
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited October 2011
    Options
    the bolded tells me you should know better tho............

cause there are plenty of cats who play in college who never make it to the next level............and there are plenty who make it to the next level, and yet still years later are ? up after making millions

this current system perverts what a college education is supposed to be about..............if the school wants to promote athletics over academics, then they need to pay their players since they make so much off of their effort

people talmbout free connections and interviewing at jobs, that's ? ...................cause between practice and training and school, plus many have the stipulation that they can't have a part time job, these athletes ain't got it as made as you think

the few that do take advantage may benefit, but overall most of these players are getting screwed

I'm not saying pay them like professionals

but what I am saying is pay them commensurate to what they bring to the school

if a college can justify paying a coach 1 mil, how you gon turn around and say the star players only deserve what they get in terms of their scholarship?

and what about the other mediocre players who make the stars look good?

people are really underestimating these salaries some of the staff get...................it's not out of the ordinary for even a small school to pay a football or basketball coach 500k

but yeah the kid has the choice not to sign, but it's all risk for the player and mostly gain for the school...............the system needs to be made a little more fair

we are not talking about back in the days where schools funded their athletic programs thru donations from alumni

but not taking advantage of it is a you problem. obviously people don't have time during the long season but after all the ? is said and done people will remember you. obviously most ? not making it pro which might be the best thing ever. not making it pro and connecting with a booster after you graduate= a job without the pain and stress and shortness of being in the nfl. belive me i would love to have a scholarship and be busy and broke hell i hardly have money now as a reg student. I know tons of ? that would rather be broke on a full ride than broke without a full ride.

and thats whats wrong with ? these days. you need to have that hustlers mentality and get the best you can out of a scholarship. ? need to be realistic about if they gunna get drafted and ? and if they realize they not start networking start making sure your degree is straight and ? . i know for a fact former players get job looks from boosters. weather its something as simple as being a personal trainer to something as complex as being an engineer. you can use that scholarship and fame to take your further than the average joe.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Surprised some of yall arguing against this. For the record, there is no such thing as a full ride. You paying for something, no matter what. Then add in the fact that these schools can snatch your scholarship away anytime they feel like it, these players getting worked
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited October 2011
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    Surprised some of yall arguing against this. For the record, there is no such thing as a full ride. You paying for something, no matter what. Then add in the fact that these schools can snatch your scholarship away anytime they feel like it, these players getting worked

but at the end of the day you have a choice. you don't have to sign that ? . thats all im saying.? want life to be fair and ? but it aint. as a normal ? in college i have no sympathy for a ? going to college and getting a scholarship. especally when just being in college even if you are broke or barely have any money like me is an experience most ? don't get. I would rather be broke right now busy as ? enjoying college life learning life lessons than not being at college.
  • b*braze
    edited October 2011
    Options

if they do, 9 times outta 10 its because they was being a hard headed ? , getting caught stealing ? , drug possession, ? driving or some other easily avoidable misdemeanor or they just straight up suck at whatever sport they were recruited for. even the most average of players usually last the whole 4 years sometimes 5 if they redshirt.

aint nobody out there gettin they scholarship snatched out the blue for nothin. ? aint bein honest.

hell my step brother got a scholarship to texas southern and he quit the team after his freshman year... and KEPT his scholarship
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Didnt read after i saw "College players Demand..."

they didnt 'demand' anything...they signed a petition. They are not locked-out athletes w/ potential leverage...they are college students who signed a petition....thats what college kids do.

See now Im actually a lil angry at how he slanted this ? by putting they 'demanded' money....smh...whether he did it on purpose or not, he is helping to lay the ground work for the 'greedy athletes'' angle....
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    if they do, 9 times outta 10 its because they was being a hard headed ? , getting caught stealing ? , drug possession, ? driving or some other easily avoidable misdemeanor or they just straight up suck at whatever sport they were recruited for. even the most average of players usually last the whole 4 years sometimes 5 if they redshirt.

aint nobody out there gettin they scholarship snatched out the blue for nothin. ? aint bein honest.

hell my step brother got a scholarship to texas southern and he quit the team after his freshman year... and KEPT his scholarship
    I knew a ? who got his scholarship snatched because they needed it for a dude transferring to their school
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    but at the end of the day you have a choice. you don't have to sign that ? . thats all im saying.? want life to be fair and ? but it aint. as a normal ? in college i have no sympathy for a ? going to college and getting a scholarship. especally when just being in college even if you are broke or barely have any money like me is an experience most ? don't get. I would rather be broke right now busy as ? enjoying college life learning life lessons than not being at college.

Who going to turn down an opportunity to better their life and play the sport they love at the next level ?

Just because one option is better than another doesn't mean there isn't a better option than both
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I knew a ? who got his scholarship snatched because they needed it for a dude transferring to their school

Who going to turn down an opportunity to better their life and play the sport they love at the next level ?

Just because one option is better than another doesn't mean there isn't a better option than both

and thats the thing if you really love a sport play it in college despite the lack of payment and tough times you might have to experience. But as soon as you sign that contract you cant ? about not getting paid or not getting jersey revenue. A contract is a contract. Adding payment to players would just add more complication and confusing and allow for more corrupt things to happen. You wanna get paid go to the CFL which is a "next level" and you can get paid and then apply for the draft.
  • IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    man ? that. if im the star player i want to get paid my money. and plus how are all these ? gone start a league of their own when you need capital for that? plus most of these ? dont go to school for academics they go so they can get to the next level. lets be for real. if you got a d-1 scholarship and you was highly recruited and your family is ? poor in the hood like most of us blacks are then you aint worried about no damn scholarship. you trying to get to the league. and after the nfl did that ? to pryor you can tell that the colleges are minor league for the pros. these ? need to get paid for what they do. not because they play. im not going to pay a ? that rides the bench like the way i would pay say a cam newton or a mark ingram type player. im pretty sure people aint buying that number 1 jersey cause it says auburn on the front but because cam newton wears that number.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited October 2011
    Options
    man ? that. if im the star player i want to get paid my money. and plus how are all these ? gone start a league of their own when you need capital for that? plus most of these ? dont go to school for academics they go so they can get to the next level. lets be for real. if you got a d-1 scholarship and you was highly recruited and your family is ? poor in the hood like most of us blacks are then you aint worried about no damn scholarship. you trying to get to the league. and after the nfl did that ? to pryor you can tell that the colleges are minor league for the pros. these ? need to get paid for what they do. not because they play. im not going to pay a ? that rides the bench like the way i would pay say a cam newton or a mark ingram type player. im pretty sure people aint buying that number 1 jersey cause it says auburn on the front but because cam newton wears that number.

but if you a star and you really think you gunna go pro then play canadian football for 3 years make your money. Even if you grow up dirt poor in the hood 3 years gunna be like the 3 previous years...tough break to a ? but if you made it this far in the hood then you can make 3 years. Also some of these star players aint ? word to Tpryor word to jamarcus russel word to all these white and black people who sucked ? in the pros. But ? like cam newton and adrian peterson eventually got their money. Like ive been saying you sign a contract you gotta live by it. Sports like the nba and nhl have ways for you to go around college and so does football via the CFL. If you really don't like not getting money go play amateur and well see how much of a star you really are.
  • b*braze
    edited October 2011
    Options

thats the problem with ? . its a lot of 5* and 4*recruits right back in the hood, after they college career aint pan out, sellin weed and unemployable, with no skills except for running fast/jumping high, because they didnt take advantage of that oppurtunity they got being in college.