Should Safe Sex Be Promoted In School Thru Sex Ed Classes?

Options
BigBallsNoWorries
BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
Or should we let dem lil ? and hoes take lessons that stick strictly to human biology or use abstinence-based programs

Comments

• thekillingjoke
    thekillingjoke Members Posts: 429
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I thought that was the point of Sex Ed classes.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Flying Spaghetti Monster stay winnin'.
  • -Vincenzo-
    -Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ABC approach proved to be best practice

Abstinence, be faithful, use a condom, also known as the ABC strategy or abstinence-plus sex education, also known as abstinence-based sex education, is a sex education policy based on harm reduction which modifies the approach of abstinence-only sex education by including education about safe sex and birth control methods.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Nah, they should promote dangerous sex.
  • thekillingjoke
    edited October 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    they should give parents the ability to opt out...

But then you got parents that are too scared to talk with their kids about it. Then those same kids pick it up from other kids, rap lyrics, Jersey Shore, etc., then they go do some wild ? and it's "Oops". I say teach it in an educational setting, invite the parents to sit in with them. That way they are learning together.
  • im_lux
    im_lux Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I have no idea what we should be doing, but whatever we are doing now clearly is not the answer.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    you shouldn't force values on people in a democracy...

Safe sex isn't a values issue. It's a public health issue.

The only people who will opt out will be the religious nuts who hate and fear the idea that they're kids might learn sex exists and is fun. Their kids will get pregnant at 16 anyway, they'll keep the baby because abortion is murder to them, and their life will be reduced to that of a typical slavish subordinate housewife.

The whole debate is really about weak and fearful men who desperately want to cling to their control of women through religion.
  • thekillingjoke
    edited October 2011
    Options
    and if u believe a sex ed class can combat those other factors you've mentioned we should also have a mandatory "don't be a ? bag" class...

It's not about forcing values. It's about teaching them how to be safe when it comes to sex. A lot of things come with sex: emotions, kids, diseases, a cigarette, a desire to raid the fridge. I used to work at a free clinic, people coming in getting STD tests all the time. It's sad in this day and age with all the knowledge of ? and how it's caught, people are STILL tempting fate and having unprotected sex. And when I come in the room to give them the unfortunate news of being positive with whatever, I get that same, I-didn't-know-I-could-catch-that look on their face. Had a friend pass away from AIDS, trust me, it's not a way to go. In the last stages of AIDS, your immune system is nonexistent. I saw my friend, she was a shadow of herself. Lost all her weight, hooked up to a machine sucking fluid out of her lungs cause she had no antibodies to fight off the pneumonia attacking her lungs. Only thing keeping her alive was the machine. And people are worried about "values" being forced on them? It's not about values, it's about your life, if anything you should have a value in that.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    and if u believe a sex ed class can combat those other factors you've mentioned we should also have a mandatory "don't be a ? bag" class...

safe sex isnt a value. its more of a health concern than anything. telling people to use a condom is along the lines of washing your hands after using the restroom
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    they should give parents the ability to opt out...

This. Teach safe sex but let parents have options of opting out. I think that will put a bit more pressure on parents to actually take the time to consider how their child is going to learn such things.
  • huey
    edited October 2011
    Options
    i thought birth control was contraception.

and safe sex was use of condoms, spermicide(doubt anyone does), or like a dental dam
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    freehuey89 wrote: »
    i thought birth control was contraception.

and safe sex was use of condoms, spermicide(doubt anyone does), or like a dental dam
    Contraception is anything that's used to prevent the sperm from fertilizing an egg.
  • huey
    edited October 2011
    Options
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    wow cats really got at me about "safe sex" not being a value issue...
    since "safe sex" usually refers to the use of contraception, which is not accepted by certain folks as positive... how isn't it a "value issue"...
    it surely isn't about anything scholastic...
    I'm actually for sex education, but I do not feel as though forcing kids to attend regardless of their parents wishes will be an effective means of promoting responsible sexual activity...

should kids be allowed to opt out of science class if their folks don't believe in evolution?

history class if they don't believe the Earth is older than 6000 years?

gym if they're fatasses?

? parents and their ? beliefs. Chinese kids be doing calculus in third grade.
  • p-tavern
    p-tavern Members Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    No, I'm trying to hit raw and the less convincing I have to do the better.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Teenagers shouldn't be "? " in the first place, but yeah safe sex should be promoted in sex education classes.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    This should scare those little ? from ? at a young age:

http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/mmtemplates/searchconditions.php

Balanitis
    sendimage.php?path=26.8f73de3a&width=392&height=294
    Soreness, swelling and redness of the head of the ? is known as balanitis, which is a Greek word meaning ‘inflammation of the acorn’. Symptoms and treatment can vary depending on how severe the case is, but sufferers may experience irritation and soreness of the ? (the head of the ? ), thick lumpy discharge under the ? and pain when passing ? . There are several ways in which this bacterial infection can develop, but the most common perpetrator is candida or yeast infection, which can be picked up during sex. Similarly, some sexually transmitted infections can also cause balanitis, such as genital herpes, chlamydia, and syphilis. As balanitis affects the ? (or the acorn, if you’d prefer), you can keep the offending item in your trousers and away from prying eyes. But the best way to prevent this condition is through good hygiene, which, for future reference, is also the best way to attract women.

Fish Odour Syndrome
    sendimage.php?path=2243.b91a3588&width=392&height=294
    Getting funny looks in the street? Colleagues fighting over who has to sit by you at work? Tramps gagging as you walk past them, insisting that you don’t spare them any change, even offering their own day’s takings so that you can go straight to the shop and buy a bar of soap? You may be suffering from TMAU, or Trimethylaminuria, an unusual metabolic condition which means you have difficulty breaking down and digesting certain compounds found in food. Most people’s bodies don’t have a problem breaking down timethylamine (TMA) and turning it into timethylamine oxide (TMAO) but for those that do the Trimethylamine is instead disposed through your sweat, breath and ? giving off a pungent fishy aroma. Yes that gut wrenching fishy stench that you presumed was the local harbour has actually been coming from you. All of a sudden the alarm bells start ringing and one gigantic penny drops. Sadly we’re not talking salt-baked Sea bass with a Sorrel Hollandaise here either; this is the rotten, decaying variety – think Captain Birdseye’s jockstrap after 6 hard months at sea. Unsurprisingly it can be a tad distracting and more than a little embarrassing and additionally for the lucky ladies the smell tends to get worse around menstruation. However, there is help at hand for sufferers with a variety of antibiotics and probiotics available that can help ease the condition. Eating a diet low in choline also helps though can be tricky; choline is found in high amounts in eggs, wheat germ and certain meats but a doctor should be able to provide you with further information.

Threadworms
    sendimage.php?path=71.a281d263&width=392&height=294
    If we’re talking worms, then we’re talking parasites – small intestinal parasites, to be precise. It sounds hideous, but the threadworm (or ‘pinworm’) is the most common worm parasite infestation of children in the UK (although, any age can be affected). They are usually passed on through poor hygiene, live about 5-6 weeks in the gut, and then die. But before doing so, the female worms lay tiny eggs around the ? , which leads to itching during the night. The resultant scratching can lead to eggs getting onto our fingers and under our nails, which we may then swallow, beginning the cycle of infestation again. However, threadworms can usually be eradicated with medication and strict hygiene. But if you think humans have it bad, then you should consider grasshoppers, who play host to ‘hairworms’ which essentially brainwash the insects with a cocktail of chemicals that makes them commit suicide by leaping into water. In light of that – an itchy bottom is nothing!
    If you’re suffering from any of the conditions featured on this site and want to apply for an onscreen consultation with one of the EB team then you can find more details here >>
    Remember that you should always check with a health professional if you have any concerns about your health.

Lymphogranuloma Venereum
    sendimage.php?path=187.5a16eb87&width=392&height=294
    This might sound like the scientific name of a recently discovered species of deep sea jellyfish, but LGV is actually a sexually transmitted infection that, until a few years ago, was very rare in the UK and the rest of Western Europe. However, that situation changed in 2003 and 2004 when there were a series of outbreaks among ? men. LGV is almost exclusively transmitted sexually. The bacteria can be transmitted when infected mucosal surfaces (in men, the warm moist skin of the mouth, ? and ? ) come into contact with an uninfected person’s mucosal surfaces, during unprotected ? and oral sex, and ? . LGV is actually a strain of Chlamydia. However, whereas a regular Chlamydia infection can be treated with a one-off dose of antibiotics for one week; LGV requires a 3 week course. If you want to avoid symptoms such as festering sores and ruptured, pus-filled glands, in and around the ? and groin, wear a condom!
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited October 2011
    Options

• 704Hustla
    704Hustla Members Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    them youngins aint gonna listen anyways let em learn the hard way and get bitter once they become older
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited October 2011
    Options
    704Hustla wrote: »
    them youngins aint gonna listen anyways let em learn the hard way and get bitter once they become older

when one of them bitter youngins gives your child AIDS you still gon feel the same way?
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    yea...

if bert and ernie can get married on seasame street

they can do better with sex ed...

but ? , shouldn't parents be doing that job?

? lazy america
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

That's what I figured too.
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    yea...

if bert and ernie can get married on seasame street

they can do better with sex ed...

but ? , shouldn't parents be doing that job?

? lazy america

This is what im saying, the ? a ? u only know during school is going to have a greater effect on you then your own parents who u have known for all your life, whether u like them or not
  • laroc
    laroc Members Posts: 1,000
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I know when I was in school that is all we hurd about don't go raw, wear a condom and do it ur self handling, which I became super fond of! LOL!