"Keepin It Real" in rap-music is that a thing of the past? Do you care if the rapper

Options
Esiam
Esiam Banned Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭
edited November 2011 in The Reason
in question lives what he raps about, or is it all about as long as the music is good I don't care?

Like with RICK ROSS for instance, it's odd that he is one of the most respected rappers right now when in fact he just stole his whole rap-identity CB4-style, he was like a correctional officer or something at a jail and met this inmate called Rick Ross
who lived the life Rick Ross raps about, he changed his rapname to Rick Ross and just ran with it.

Personally I don't care much anymore but the degrees to which Rick Ross took it is just so extreme that it's not even funny, I can't even listen to his ? , not hard though since he's not that good of a rapper either.

So do you care if the rapper lives (has lived) the life they rap about at all?

Comments

• antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    im all about keeping it real even if you fake ... promote your image ... but when your on the mic with someone like sway its time to turn the image off .... give dudes some real talk its alot of kids listening .... i swear all day i see kids thinking its cool to beef and diss other rapper ... but the thing is thier favorite rapper does that cause they know they wont see the person they are dissing or better yet if they ever do cross paths your favorite rapper knows hes got PAID security to be sure he doesnt get into any confrontations .... he aint out there with his friends putting thier lives in danger .... out in the real world when these kids do this ? ... they will see each other and it will be a problem ... no rap ? ... so KEEP IT 100 if not for yaself for the people that listen ..... i dont care if you live what you write ... or if you just making the ? up .... @ some point KEEP IT 100 !!!!!!! if u aint about what you spitting and your sticking to the SCRIPT from all angles ..... then i cant respect that ... it is what it is .........................................
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Its funny how the " as long as the music is good I don't care" ? be thinking their are better than the people that call people out for being fake...

Like Nas said is entertainment another word for lying now?

If you never did it dont talk about it... thats all i ask...

I could take a ? exaggerating who they are... but dont lie...
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Keeping real now is more about being believable more than being authentic

If the person can rap and tell a story, most will get a pass

Because even those who actually lived that life, exaggerate at some point, not all of these ? can be the black tony Montana

But it's the few that make their entire career on being soft as hell, then try to get tough that usually get the shaq face (nelly, ja rule, drake)
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Esiam wrote: »
    in question lives what he raps about, or is it all about as long as the music is good I don't care?

Like with RICK ROSS for instance, it's odd that he is one of the most respected rappers right now when in fact he just stole his whole rap-identity CB4-style, he was like a correctional officer or something at a jail and met this inmate called Rick Ross
    who lived the life Rick Ross raps about, he changed his rapname to Rick Ross and just ran with it.

Personally I don't care much anymore but the degrees to which Rick Ross took it is just so extreme that it's not even funny, I can't even listen to his ? , not hard though since he's not that good of a rapper either.

So do you care if the rapper lives (has lived) the life they rap about at all?
    LOL!!!!!!!! I was gonna clown the ? out of you and your country but you a trill ass white boy. You cool in my book cuzzo lol looks like sweden aint as soft as I thought it was. LOL yall clowning officer ricky out there too?

Oh yeah bruh, don't respond to these posters

H-rap
    Gee
    sumo king locs
    grip money

And several other corny sounding ? .
  • haute
    edited October 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    ja rule came out "tough"...

Remember 'clap back'?

It Definately had me perplexed
  • CJVisuals
    CJVisuals Members Posts: 350
    edited October 2011
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »
    im all about keeping it real even if you fake ... promote your image ... but when your on the mic with someone like sway its time to turn the image off .... give dudes some real talk its alot of kids listening .... i swear all day i see kids thinking its cool to beef and diss other rapper ... but the thing is thier favorite rapper does that cause they know they wont see the person they are dissing or better yet if they ever do cross paths your favorite rapper knows hes got PAID security to be sure he doesnt get into any confrontations .... he aint out there with his friends putting thier lives in danger .... out in the real world when these kids do this ? ... they will see each other and it will be a problem ... no rap ? ... so KEEP IT 100 if not for yaself for the people that listen ..... i dont care if you live what you write ... or if you just making the ? up .... @ some point KEEP IT 100 !!!!!!! if u aint about what you spitting and your sticking to the SCRIPT from all angles ..... then i cant respect that ... it is what it is .........................................

• antarticp
    edited October 2011
    Options
    haute wrote: »
    Keeping real now is more about being believable more than being authentic

If the person can rap and tell a story, most will get a pass

Because even those who actually lived that life, exaggerate at some point, not all of these ? can be the black tony Montana

But it's the few that make their entire career on being soft as hell, then try to get tough that usually get the shaq face (nelly, ja rule, drake)

yeah they can tony died @ the end of the movie LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    Its funny how the " as long as the music is good I don't care" ? be thinking their are better than the people that call people out for being fake...

Like Nas said is entertainment another word for lying now?

If you never did it dont talk about it... thats all i ask...

I could take a ? exaggerating who they are... but dont lie...

There's a problem though. Alot of people don't know what "keepin' it real" means people just assume it's all about your image and that only but it's not. If i'm a hard ass thug ass ? and still can rap about my fears, my insecurities, my life, educating my people on how ? really is from my point of view for example, that's real.

But so many ? think "keepin' it real" basically means if you ain't a thug just say you ain't, and if you are a thug just say you are. You can still be a street dude and be a lame fake ass ? and vice versa. So many muthafuckas put so much on street dudes like they don't lie to these kids as much as these fake dudes runnin' around. Bottom line muthafuckas who're in the game for self gain and that only will tell the public anything that sounds good to their ear, street or not, and that's fake. You ? gotta know that we live in a capitalist society.
  • antarticp
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Im still waitin on sum1 2 prove to me that Ross neva sold dope. As far as tha thread is concerned, as long as u not kissin or fukn anotha man i could careless. Nelly started out "tough" 2. If u pay attention to tha bars instead of skimmin thru, you'll realize that his 1 st single is bout keepn a pistal n smokn blunts.

theres a diff between bragging about ya knuckle and gun game vs drug game .... once you start rapping especially on the level rick ross is on ... its no way he is still hustling .... dude been on this music ? so long theres no way to validate wether or not he was in the streets .... the only way is for someone to speak up like yeah i coopped a few from ? back in the days .... but whos gonna be stupid enuff to do that ...................... now ya knuckle game and gun game can get tested at any time ..... but i give that to any man wether he just a regular ole joe or an excon with a serious criminal record .......... every man has the right to protect his life ...... most will ..... but most dudes really aint getting money off the streets ... and i mean really getting it ...... you aint gotta be making millions but if you gonna talk about it like Rick Ross does the ? should of @least was paying ya bills and keeping food in ya mouth ... and when its time to get money you didnt borrow you just hit the trap ...... im not gonna sit here and say i know for a fact that ross wasnt really doing it ..... but immma just say he doesnt come off as real .... talking about he made 80 million off the drug game .... yeah them boobie boys probably did .... how much did you really contribute to that 80 mill ????????? ? talking about he was walking around wearing timberlands that said RICH OFF ? ??????? ? out here how many ? you know dealing ? running around advertising the ? on they shoes ........ like i said dude just aint comin off as real .................... ijs ............................... he comes off as someone who WANTS to be down ..................................
  • antarticp
    edited October 2011
    Options
    CirocObama wrote: »
    There's a problem though. Alot of people don't know what "keepin' it real" means people just assume it's all about your image and that only but it's not. If i'm a hard ass thug ass ? and still can rap about my fears, my insecurities, my life, educating my people on how ? really is from my point of view for example, that's real.

But so many ? think "keepin' it real" basically means if you ain't a thug just say you ain't, and if you are a thug just say you are. You can still be a street dude and be a lame fake ass ? and vice versa. So many muthafuckas put so much on street dudes like they don't lie to these kids as much as these fake dudes runnin' around. Bottom line muthafuckas who're in the game for self gain and that only will tell the public anything that sounds good to their ear, street or not, and that's fake. You ? gotta know that we live in a capitalist society.

i always said alot of these dudes who are so called retired drug dealers ... if they were cool with selling death in the hood ... what makes us think they gonna keep it real in the music industry ... they will do and say whatever it takes to get that CAKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options

But this is hip hop... And I put the culture above capitolism... Keeping it real to me is being a man and with being a man they're do's and don'ts.... For example people like Nore... He never talked about his beefs but you knew he was beefin with ? .... Or KRS1....? will talk about knowledge all day but would smack the ? out of someone.
  • haute
    edited October 2011
    Options

Meh I guess

I don't think people think that any one who doesn't talk about drugs or guns, isn't 'real'

There's too many who've had great success without having to do that

The problem really is when a rapper chooses a image and tries to 180 with no rhyme or reason

I understand as an artist you must grow, so you can't talk about the same ? forever

But you can't go from literally crying about a ? not returning a phone call to singing about catching bodies, it's not believable
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited October 2011
    Options
    YES itz n da past.,.da highest sellin artist n rap is white lyin racist cracka ? rick ross a fukin KLANSMEN like 'JIMMY BURWELL' STRAIGHT OUTTA DA D diss;d da creatorz of hiphop & LIED point blank 2 da blk people this cracka even had da nerve 2 diss a BLK WOMAN like lauryn hill fa bein RACIST back n 99.,,,
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Meh I guess

I don't think people think that any one who doesn't talk about drugs or guns, isn't 'real'

There's too many who've had great success without having to do that

The problem really is when a rapper chooses a image and tries to 180 with no rhyme or reason

I understand as an artist you must grow, so you can't talk about the same ? forever

But you can't go from literally crying about a ? not returning a phone call to singing about catching bodies, it's not believable

Co-sign.... I hate when rappers say we are trying to box them in... No ? you can't be different everytime a new trend is poppin
  • antarticp
    edited October 2011
    Options
    But this his hip hop... And I put the culture above capitolism... Keeping it real to me is being a man and with being a man they're do's and don'ts.... For example people like Nore... He never talked about his beefs but you knew he was beefin with ? .... Or KRS1....? will talk about knowledge all day but would smack the ? out of someone.

ha ha thats real ? ... i remember nore saying that in an interview .... he was like i talked about shooting cause i was a real shooter .... now cause of prodigy yall all know that now lol ......... and it aint like he was glorifying the ? .... cause he wasnt on no reckless ? it was all in defense .................. def respect NORE !! ;)
  • antarticp
    edited October 2011
    Options

lol in drakes case you can .... lol thats how he gets his fustrations out .... but like i said i'll give any man a knuckle game and gun game ... ? im no thug myself but i got gun game i aint out there bustin my ? for little ? .... but ? wit my fam and find out what happens ... every man big or small ... thug or regular joe will bust they ? or square dance for the right reasons ..... but the drug ? my opinion is a diff story everyone isnt entitled to that one ..... thats similar to the word ? everyone cant just go around using that word .... you got be validated ..... ;) ... especially in this day in age where the Big Meeches dont exist ... ? aint eating like that off the streets if they were theyd stay in them streets and wouldnt be thinking about rapping ... a la jayz its gonna take an influence to pull them out or somekind of situation for them to be like you know what i gotta go legit ............... etc ...............
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Question... Kanye is always known for being weird with what he does and what he wear....
    But is wearing a skirt (or what ever you call it) in public is him keeping it true to himself.... Or is he just doing it just so people can say "what is kanye wearing?"
    And if its the second one why do we ? 50 cent for attention ? but not Ye or Wayne
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »
    lol in drakes case you can .... lol thats how he gets his fustrations out .... but like i said i'll give any man a knuckle game and gun game ... ? im no thug myself but i got gun game i aint out there bustin my ? for little ? .... but ? wit my fam and find out what happens ... every man big or small ... thug or regular joe will bust they ? or square dance for the right reasons ..... but the drug ? my opinion is a diff story everyone isnt entitled to that one ..... thats similar to the word ? everyone cant just go around using that word .... you got be validated ..... ;) ... especially in this day in age where the Big Meeches dont exist ... ? aint eating like that off the streets if they were theyd stay in them streets and wouldnt be thinking about rapping ... a la jayz its gonna take an influence to pull them out or somekind of situation for them to be like you know what i gotta go legit ............... etc ...............
    Drug dealers can be ? too... ? like Alpo was selling and killing but he's also a snitch.. and proud of it!!!...smh
    Like I said before keeping it real to me is being and acting like a man
  • smabsbreelp
    smabsbreelp Members Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    Options
    http://www.dagorlenok.ru/ çàõîäèòå, ÷èòàéòå, äåðçàéòå!
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    It really never mattered to me because my definition of a G was never and will never have anything to do with a wack gang or organization. The only way a rapper that is lying to the public is not keeping it real is if they start to believe they are really that person they rap about. There are some who have lost there way to that point and they pay dearly for it.
  • 7thwardslim
    7thwardslim Members Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    If a ? ask me........I say "? Keeping It Real"..... and I say "? Keeping it Fake"......I say "Keep yo ass outta jail"
    Cuz these days.... they locking these lil kids up forshit they say on rap music......
    they taking local jokers and making examples out them.....
    so ? the real ? , ? the fake ? ....tryna stay free.....cuz its a war going on outside
  • antarticp
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Question... Kanye is always known for being weird with what he does and what he wear....
    But is wearing a skirt (or what ever you call it) in public is him keeping it true to himself.... Or is he just doing it just so people can say "what is kanye wearing?"
    And if its the second one why do we ? 50 cent for attention ? but not Ye or Wayne

in my opinion with kanye its a lil bit of both ... hes so much into fashion ... i honestly believe he wanted to wear the Kilt ... but being the marketing & promo genius he is he knew damn well he would be the talk of the town wearing that ? ........ so its the ? 2 birds with 1 stone theory ....... his ? ways actually pays off double for him ...... but i dont think he truely does it just for the talk ...................... hes just that weird lol ;)
  • antarticp
    edited October 2011
    Options
    If a ? ask me........I say "? Keeping It Real"..... and I say "? Keeping it Fake"......I say "Keep yo ass outta jail"
    Cuz these days.... they locking these lil kids up forshit they say on rap music......
    they taking local jokers and making examples out them.....
    so ? the real ? , ? the fake ? ....tryna stay free.....cuz its a war going on outside

that the part that boggles me isnt the point of getting into rap is to go legit and do something thats not gonna put you in jail ..... for alot of these tuff guy rappers they get thier first criminal charge once they start thier rap career .......... its obvious thier thinking in the right direction ... but they are still moving and thinking with the wrong state of mind ...............
  • antarticp
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Drug dealers can be ? too... ? like Alpo was selling and killing but he's also a snitch.. and proud of it!!!...smh
    Like I said before keeping it real to me is being and acting like a man

hey i totally agree with ya mane !! and with that said lieing about what you are and spitting fair tale rhymes and then go on interviews spitting the same fair tales .... makes you a boy a muffet baby living in a fantasy world .... real men speak on whats real @ some point and time once them curtains are closed ...
  • ocelot
    edited October 2011
    Options
    GSonII wrote: »
    It really never mattered to me because my definition of a G was never and will never have anything to do with a wack gang or organization. The only way a rapper that is lying to the public is not keeping it real is if they start to believe they are really that person they rap about. There are some who have lost there way to that point and they pay dearly for it.

Word to Shine...? lost 10 years of his life being something he wasn't