'race realism' documentary

Options
Huruma
Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)

In the video, the narrator claims that the statistical IQ gap between Blacks and Whites remains even when you control for nutrition, socio-economic factors etc. (meaning it's genetic and not just environmental). I'm not convinced that this is true, although it may be, I don't know if any source he provided was credible (I wasn't watching the screen at the time). His bias toward the end also gets extremely tired as he conveniently ignores countless acts of historical and contemporary racism against Blacks and other people of color and focuses on the double standards of race relations and Black/non-White discrimination against Whites, which I admit is a serious problem. Aside from that, I think there's a lot of truth to this 'genetic similarity theory'. I'm convinced that both race and ethnicity are almost always *a* factor in how you view, treat or relate to other people and I think most people do have a natural inclination to identify with people who they would have reason to believe are genetically similar to them (even if this isn't conscious).

I haven't finished the video, though, I'm at 1h6m.

Comments

• Huruma
    edited November 2011
    Options
    your scholarship read like you were pretty convinced, that he's incorrect.

I don't understand. What are you accusing me of?
    Plus this theory was debunked in the early 70's by many sociologists who collectively turned the Bell Curve theory on it's head, by the late 90's...when they proved that Black kids, taken from the ghetto as infants and moved to Lilly-White suburbia...did go on to outperform or stay on pace their White peers, academic output.... through high-school

I didn't think that it was but you can never be sure since scientists are people with political/social biases. There have been countless historically held beliefs in the scientific community that have been fueled by political sentiment rather than an impartial understanding of empirical evidence.

Anyways, in regard to the video, I think that voluntary racial separatism (maybe a separate all White, Black, Native etc. state) can be justified (or discouraged) on consequentialist grounds. The 'racism' that I see as wrong is any ideology that disregards the interests of individuals on the grounds of race.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Nurture and nature is the key factor in IQ tests, so there could be some genetic basis possibly. Blacks seem to get more comfortable, while Whites tend to push things to the limit. I could be wrong but that was my observation in high school and college. It's not a bad thing or a good thing it just is what it is. There are pluses and minuses to each way of thinking.
  • Huruma
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Nurture and nature is the key factor in IQ tests, so there could be some genetic basis possibly. Blacks seem to get more comfortable, while Whites tend to push things to the limit. I could be wrong but that was my observation in high school and college. It's not a bad thing or a good thing it just is what it is. There are pluses and minuses to each way of thinking.

I remember reading something like this in a book about Molefi Kete Asante's work.
  • stillmatic_01
    stillmatic_01 Members Posts: 113
    edited November 2011
    Options
    race realism is white supremacy/racism
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Most of conflict between races can be attributed to white supremacy. In ancient time there were rarely any distinctions made between people based on their "race"(At least none that I am aware of). White supremacy has made and molded this current condition.
  • Huruma
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Most of conflict between races can be attributed to white supremacy. In ancient time there were rarely any distinctions made between people based on their "race"(At least none that I am aware of). White supremacy has made and molded this current condition.

Arab racism against Black Africans is well documented.
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    Arab racism against Black Africans is well documented.

Well I cannot refute that but I think Arab racism towards black Africans may have spawned from religious zeolotry.