Options

Comments

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Examples?

From Rhapsody regarding Timbaland's sound:

His work for Missy Elliott and Aaliyah elevated those figures into the spotlight, and introduced a singular production aesthetic that incorporated tabla rhythms and electro flourishes.

You can hear Timbaland's influence in nearly every Southern and Midwestern producer, and his sound has been adopted by pop acts ranging from Justin Timberlake to Nelly Furtado. He is among the most respected figures in hip-hop, and in many ways is comparable to legendary pop producers such as Phil Spector.

http://www.rhapsody.com/timbaland

Would this have been possible had Timbaland not produced those 8 tracks from Aaliyah's One In A Million. That album launched Timbo as a producer and Missy as a songwriter which allowed them to further distance themselves away from Da Bassment and start their own crew w/ other former Bassment members Magoo, Playa and Ginuwine. One In A Million is what led Timbaland to fully produce Ginuwine's record which was originally produced by Devante w/ Timbo only producing "Pony."

Saying Aaliyah was moving away from Timbo's sound is also speculation. I mean, they had done quite a few tracks in between One In A Million which included several remixes for that album, solo Aaliyah joints for soundtracks, and stuff for other artists. When Aaliyah was putting Aaliyah out, Timbo was working on a new Tim & Magoo album, starting a record label, and producing other artists.
    Sooooo......basically you're saying Aaliyah was no different from someone like Britney Spears or Rihanna, as she was being used as a muse to display other people's talents....because I don't understand how we're now giving her the credit for Timbaland's production and Missy's songwriting. Any other pretty light skinned girl could have filled her role as a vehicle for their music.
  • KillaCham
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    With the release of "One In a Million", contemporary r&b went from the hip-hop soul, sample-heavy sound to a more pop-based sound, with electronic instrumentation and syncopated rhythms.

There's no doubt in my mind that artists like Ciara AND Rihanna, and yes, even Beyonce, all owe Aaliyah (and that album) a huge debt.
    huh.gif Name one Beyonce album that sounds remotely close to One In A Million.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    she wouldve been the key witness in the R kelly trial, and probably wouldve put him in jail.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    she wouldve been the key witness in the R kelly trial, and probably wouldve put him in jail.

I laughed.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    KillaCham. wrote: »
    Sooooo......basically you're saying Aaliyah was no different from someone like Britney Spears or Rihanna, as she was being used as a muse to display other people's talents....because I don't understand how we're now giving her the credit for Timbaland's production and Missy's songwriting. Any other pretty light skinned girl could have filled her role as a vehicle for their music.

Now who's doing the speculating? No other lightskinned girl was offered those songs. Craig Kallman gave Aaliyah those songs b/c he thought they suited her. She heard and she liked. She even had Missy change lyrics to some of the songs b/c some of them were mad different from what we know of them today. There's an article in an issue Fader that discusses how the Aaliyah/Missy/Timbaland combination came about. Aaliyah wasn't just some vehicle. As I said, she helped discover a sound that nobody else was up on at the time, but other genres are now reaping the benefits. Of course Devante was grooming them, but they never released anything. Secondly, being used as a muse is the point of music anyway. If artists and producers weren't inspired by one another, there'd be no point in calling it music.

For the record, Aaliyah did in fact influence Dangerously In Love. "Signs" (vocal style), "Baby Boy" (sonically) and maybe even "Me, Myself, and I" all have Aaliyah influences.You can hear it in Rihanna's music namely Good Girl Gone Bad.
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    With the release of "One In a Million", contemporary r&b went from the hip-hop soul, sample-heavy sound to a more pop-based sound, with electronic instrumentation and syncopated rhythms.

There's no doubt in my mind that artists like Ciara AND Rihanna, and yes, even Beyonce, all owe Aaliyah (and that album) a huge debt.

total c/s .
  • _Ozymandias_
    _Ozymandias_ Members Posts: 490
    edited May 2010
    Options

Rihanna was nothing like Aaliyah when she first came out. Stop trying to pin false innovation on this woman. Rihanna's sound or style was nothing like Aaliyah's, and Aaliyah didn't invent baggy jeans and a sports bra. WTF? If you wanna take it there then we can say Aaliyah's image was done before by Janet and TLC.

when rihanna first came out she was nothing like aaliyah. but rihanna's image now is very similar to aaliyah's. rihanna has taken on this dark,mysterious persona that hides behind her hair and/or eye patches. very similar to aaliyah's persona b4 her last cd came out.

aaliyah.jpg

aaliyah_20031.jpg

rihanna-mobo-awards.jpg

rihanna.jpg

and for the record aaliyah's legacy isn't just based on the fact she died young. she introduced a whole new style of r&b/hip hop that become THE style for the past 10-15 years. and yes, missy and timbaland played an important role in that too. but even they have admitted several times that aaliyah was the only established artist that was willingly to give their sound a chance. the fact that she took that risk changed contemporary music. that's her legacy.
  • BabyBugatti
    BabyBugatti Members Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I don't know, she wasn't the greatest singer at all. She would be Keri Hilson and Ciara status, not quite Beyonce or Alicia Keys status.

^^this
    if she wasnt already on the D list
  • KillaCham
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Now who's doing the speculating? No other lightskinned girl was offered those songs. Craig Kallman gave Aaliyah those songs b/c he thought they suited her. She heard and she liked. She even had Missy change lyrics to some of the songs b/c some of them were mad different from what we know of them today. There's an article in an issue Fader that discusses how the Aaliyah/Missy/Timbaland combination came about. Aaliyah wasn't just some vehicle. As I said, she helped discover a sound that nobody else was up on at the time, but other genres are now reaping the benefits. Of course Devante was grooming them, but they never released anything. Secondly, being used as a muse is the point of music anyway. If artists and producers weren't inspired by one another, there'd be no point in calling it music.
    I'll give Aaliyah credit for helping to put Timbaland on the map...but as far as other genres benefitting from anything Aaliyah created....I dunno about that. Timbaland's sound now is way different, and way more successful than his sound was 15 years ago with Aaliyah. All of these comparisons that Aaliyah gets are kind of ridiculous...and they're always of people more successful than her so it seems like it's just to make her look better. I can see her going over a couple of the FutureSex/LoveSound songs, but thats it. I don't see Aaliyah doing any of Nelly Furtado's songs from Loose, especially because Nelly co-wrote the songs. The lyrics are hers. Aaliyah barely even co-wrote at all. (Sort of off topic; that's another thing I think about. Aaliyah didn't write or produce, rarely performed, let alone toured. She never headlined her own tour, only did a couple of tour dates as an opening act....so I always wondered how she made money. I guess since her uncle owned the label she was on, I guess she got a large allowance.)
    For the record, Aaliyah did in fact influence Dangerously In Love. "Signs" (vocal style), "Baby Boy" (sonically) and maybe even "Me, Myself, and I" all have Aaliyah influences.You can hear it in Rihanna's music namely Good Girl Gone Bad.
    Says who? =\ "Good Girl Gone Bad" was a straight pop album. Sorry bruh, I hear no Aaliyah influence there either, and not more than 3 songs I could even imagine her doing. As far as the songso n "Dangerously In Love", that sounds likea reach too.I wasn't aware that Aaliyah pioneered singing in falsetto or "soft singing". Anything that sounds slightly similar to something Aaliyah may have done falls under the "Aaliyah inspired" catagory. That's one of the reasons why I say she's overrated.
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    aaliyah and rihanna should not be compared...

rihanna is wack as all ? ...
  • georgia boi
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'll give Aaliyah credit for helping to put Timbaland on the map...but as far as other genres benefitting from anything Aaliyah created....I dunno about that. Timbaland's sound now is way different, and way more successful than his sound was 15 years ago with Aaliyah. All of these comparisons that Aaliyah gets are kind of ridiculous...and they're always of people more successful than her so it seems like it's just to make her look better. I can see her going over a couple of the FutureSex/LoveSound songs, but thats it. I don't see Aaliyah doing any of Nelly Furtado's songs from Loose, especially because Nelly co-wrote the songs. The lyrics are hers. Aaliyah barely even co-wrote at all. (Sort of off topic; that's another thing I think about. Aaliyah didn't write or produce, rarely performed, let alone toured. She never headlined her own tour, only did a couple of tour dates as an opening act....so I always wondered how she made money. I guess since her uncle owned the label she was on, I guess she got a large allowance.)

Says who? =\ "Good Girl Gone Bad" was a straight pop album. Sorry bruh, I hear no Aaliyah influence there either, and not more than 3 songs I could even imagine her doing. As far as the songso n "Dangerously In Love", that sounds likea reach too.I wasn't aware that Aaliyah pioneered singing in falsetto or "soft singing". Anything that sounds slightly similar to something Aaliyah may have done falls under the "Aaliyah inspired" catagory. That's one of the reasons why I say she's overrated.

I agree that Timbo's sound is far more successful than it was 10 years ago, but there are still producers like Tricky Stewart who still continue to incorporate elements from that sound by throwing crickets and bird effects into beats even emulating drum patterns from that era of Tim's production.

Good Girl Gone Bad might be a reach, but Aaliyah definitely influenced Rihanna. "Aaliyah is the most prominent of Rihanna's R&B influences" http://www.yaledailynews.com/scene/music/2005/09/09/sunny-pop-princess-cant-deliver/ That was from a review of Rihanna's sophomore album. As far as Dangerously In Love, Aaliyah definitely didn't pioneer falsetto or "soft" singing, but it's more so on how she sang it and the feel of the songs.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited June 2010
    Options
    when rihanna first came out she was nothing like aaliyah. but rihanna's image now is very similar to aaliyah's. rihanna has taken on this dark,mysterious persona that hides behind her hair and/or eye patches. very similar to aaliyah's persona b4 her last cd came out.

and for the record aaliyah's legacy isn't just based on the fact she died young. she introduced a whole new style of r&b/hip hop that become THE style for the past 10-15 years. and yes, missy and timbaland played an important role in that too. but even they have admitted several times that aaliyah was the only established artist that was willingly to give their sound a chance. the fact that she took that risk changed contemporary music. that's her legacy.

if you knew Aaliyah's legacy like you're claiming to then you'd know that the dark/mysterious image of Aaliyah you're talking about wasn't before her last cd came out..that was during the One In A Million era...on Aaliyah's last cd she was actually beginning to be more open and was showing growth in her image as a grown woman...you can see the change in simple stuff such as how much she talked about the fact that she was asking to wear dresses in her last few videos when she wouldn't have done that when she was younger...your time line is way off and Rihanna in no way at all compares to Aalliyah other than them both having record deals and being in the recording industry
  • georgia boi
    edited June 2010
    Options
    For further proof of Aaliyah's influence:

when Mosley showed up on the charts with a young singer named Aaliyah, the sound of pop music has drifted toward Timbaland. When you hear a rhythm that is being played by an instrument you can’t identify but wish you owned, when you hear a song that refuses to make up its mind about its genre but compels you to move, or when you hear noises that you thought couldn’t find a comfortable place in a pop song, you are hearing Timbaland, or school thereof.

Timbaland started out by changing the beat of R. & B. What had swung before began to stutter and syncopate in ways that felt both ancient and completely new. Listen to the hi-hat in a song like Aaliyah’s “One in a Million”—the patterns pause, and come back doubled and tripled, closer to tap dancing than to any dull timekeeping. Then the innovations began to bloom in size and style. Aaliyah’s “Are You That Somebody?” is among the most significant singles of the nineties: the beat refuses to fully engage, using more dead space than you would have thought possible in a hit. And it wasn’t just because Timbaland performed a cross-rhythm of mouth noises—pops and clicks. (Oh, and there’s a baby gurgling.) He was obviously heading somewhere else.

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/musical/2008/10/06/081006crmu_music_frerejones?currentPage=1#ixzz0pdcGQk7o
  • _Ozymandias_
    _Ozymandias_ Members Posts: 490
    edited June 2010
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    if you knew Aaliyah's legacy like you're claiming to then you'd know that the dark/mysterious image of Aaliyah you're talking about wasn't before her last cd came out..that was during the One In A Million era...on Aaliyah's last cd she was actually beginning to be more open and was showing growth in her image as a grown woman...you can see the change in simple stuff such as how much she talked about the fact that she was asking to wear dresses in her last few videos when she wouldn't have done that when she was younger...your time line is way off and Rihanna in no way at all compares to Aalliyah other than them both having record deals and being in the recording industry

"before her last cd came out"=the time prior to her releasing her last cd=the "one in a million" era.

if i meant the "aaliyah" era, i would have said "during the time her last cd came out"

and slow down. i never said that rihanna and aaliyah were on the same level musically or even comparing them as too who was better. but you even admit that aaliyah had a "dark, mysterious" persona at one time in her career. and if you listen to rihanna's latest cd and notice how she changed her image, she has clearing taking on a "dark, mysterious" persona that was obviously influenced by aaliyah.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    influence doesn't always have to be direct. You can be influenced by someone, subconsciously. When I said artists like Rihanna and Beyince owe Aaliyah a debt, it's because the type of contemporary r&b that they make, borders more closely to what Aaliyah was doing in the 90s, as opposed to what someone like Mary was doing. Aaliyah brought a lighter sound to cont. r&b, and completely shifted the direction it would go in from that point forward. Albums like Dangerously In Love and all of Rihanna`s catalog follow that urban pop, light cont. r&b sounding blueprint that Aaliyah pioneered.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    AALIYAH has more quality in here short 3 album career than most of these young chicks have their entire careers:

Aaliyah 1st 3 albums > Beyonce's 1st 3, Brandy's 1st 3, Monica's 1st 3, Ciara's 1st 3, Ashanti's 1st 3 and Rhianna's 1st 3

She's the female young GOAT. R.I.P.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Prob wouldve ended up belly'd out by dame
  • KillaCham
    edited August 2010
    Options
    O lord. THIS thread?

R.I.P. I remember getting my mom to cop her album for me on my birthday (August 24th) then her dying the next day. =\
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Old thread but...SMH @ folks acting like Aaliyah's discography doesn't ? on Beyonce's.

I'll post my real opinion later...
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Aaliyah = Ashanti = Ciara = Keri Hilson = Rihanna

none of them are powerhouse singers

Aaliyah couldn't hit a hi-note if her life depended on it so to say she is superior to Beyonce is ?

but Aaliyah has more charisma than anyone I jus named

but to say Aaliyah is better than Beyonce is like sayin that Aaliyah is on the same playin field as Whitney, Mariah, Alicia, Mary J. Blige which jus isn't true

I don't believe Aaliyah's voice was more powerful than Keyshia Coles or Monica's

as far as singin range she was slightly better than Chili from TLC

but this is all jus my opinion and what my ears tell me
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i believe she wouldve been doing more movies than singing.I really miss aliyah she's one in a million
  • blatin35
    blatin35 Members Posts: 176
    edited January 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    1. So you say Aaliyah could pull of a song like LISTEN? I don't think so
    2. Aaliyah did not give them credibility, Ginuwines album dropped before that he The Bachelor was worked on way before One in a Million. Timbo was doing lots of work before he met Aaliyah, he was doing alot of ghostproducing for Badboy like Kanye was for D Dot. I beg to differ, Timbo proved he could produce for other people outside of Aaliyah (Jay-z,Nas,Destinys Child,Mariah,Nelly fortado,etc), same thing for Missy. If anything Aaliyah would of followed him, how is Ginuwine doing today without Timbalands production. I rest my case!

Beyonce just threw that ? in the movie.. It had nothing to do with Dreamgirls..
  • blatin35
    blatin35 Members Posts: 176
    edited January 2011
    Options
    young chad wrote: »
    Janet with the ? out at the Superbowl Janet? Janet with the nude sunbathing video Janet???

By Classy, I meant the way Alicia dresses at awards, and kept her private life private (until the Swiss Beats thing)..I'm honestly not a fan of either of them, but I can dig some of Alicia's music..and I liked her in The Secret Life of Bee's
    Someone took the video through a fence.. You act like she sold tickets for people to watch her sunbathe ...
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ....divorced from damon dash
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ryder225 wrote: »
    Where do you think she would be career wise and would the industry be any different

If Aaliyah was still alive the following things will be going on in the industry:
    The Roc would still be together because Dame and Jay's grand scheme to be ? the two baddest ? in the game at the same time would be true, making them too happy to break up.
    Ciara and Keri Hilson wouldn't even be at the level they are now, because Aaliyah and Beyonce' would be the two top female R&B singers
    Timbaland would be on top of his beat game, because he would've made at least 2 or 3 more Aaliyah albums by now
    Missy would still have a career because she would still be writing for her
    We would probably finally see a Superfriends album like they talked about(Ginuwine, Playa, Timbaland & Magoo, Missy, Aaliyah)...But it probably would've been produced by Polow Da Don(Well at least a few tracks)
    A bunch of rappers would have bigger singles because they would've had her on the hook example:Aston Martin Music(Chrisette Michelle is dope but Aaliyah would've made this song epic)