Report: Xbox 720 Hitting Stores Holiday 2012

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in IllGaming
Microsoft's next allegedly debuting at CES in January.

Earlier this week, the web was set ablaze with new rumors regarding the next-generation Xbox, otherwise known as the Xbox 720 and allegedly codenamed ‘Loop.’ The original report suggested that the new system would be cheaper and smaller than the Xbox 360, be based on Windows 9 and sport ARM processing architecture.

Most importantly, the source alleged that the new console would make its debut at E3 next year.
Tech journalist Paul Thurrott claimed otherwise today, suggesting that Microsoft will instead use Consumer Electronics Show in January as the launching point for their next console, and that it will integrate extensively with Windows 8 and Windows Phone.

During an episode of Windows Weekly, Thurrott stated:
"What I'm hearing is the console is going to come out for holidays next year, meaning that they would almost have to announce this at CES, wouldn't they?”

He went on to claim that Microsoft is taking a note from Apple’s playbook. “They want this thing to integrate very tightly with Windows 8 and Windows Phone,” he said. “Which is a problem with the current Xbox.”

Given the nature of the source and the language used, we’d recommend taking these claims with a grain of salt.

All the same, should the next Xbox make its debut at CES, IGN will be on the ground conducting our annual coverage on IGN Tech.

Comments

• CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Will be copping.
  • Los216
    Los216 Members Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I remember back when the 360 first came out ? was thirsty for that ? and couldn't wait to get it. That year on X-mas I remember so many of my friends getting one and asking me why I don't want one. I could only say one thing........PS3
    So here we have news of the New Xbox 720 coming out and I can only say one thing this time as well..........PS4
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Probably wait and see what specs the system going to have and what games are on board b4 i make a decision
  • a_wack_poster
    a_wack_poster Members Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Rule #1 never get first generation consoles.
  • PSN-Canibuss
    PSN-Canibuss Members Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Still will be using DVDS??? In 2012?? If so....... FAIL!!!
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Still will be using DVDS??? In 2012?? If so....... FAIL!!!

If they go Blu-Ray then they putting money in Sony's pocket
  • joshuaboy
    edited November 2011
    Options

• joshuaboy
    edited November 2011
    Options

They probably will look past that fact so they could make the product better.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    they probably will look past that fact so they could make the product better.

rofl!!!!!!!
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

................ Co-Sizzle
  • sapo614
    sapo614 Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Not suprised at all, seems like the 360 has run its course and getting a little stale right now imo
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Yeah prolly wait till 2nd gen comes out to buy.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    LOL @ anyone who still thinks Blu Ray or any other disk format is "the future".
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    xbox will remain wack
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Los216 wrote: »
    I remember back when the 360 first came out ? was thirsty for that ? and couldn't wait to get it. That year on X-mas I remember so many of my friends getting one and asking me why I don't want one. I could only say one thing........PS3
    So here we have news of the New Xbox 720 coming out and I can only say one thing this time as well..........PS4

co sign.MS still has not gave me a reason to buy their console.I need exclusive games.Not DLC and multi plat games.
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

Yep and I will never willingly get another microsoft product.
  • MysticBoy
    MysticBoy Members Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    They could use HD DVDs. They don't have as much space as blu rays, but they sure as hell a huge step up from DVDs
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    bluray technology is not exclusively owned by sony. it is a partnership of multiple companies.

as for bluray technology being in the next version of the xbox console, it's very possible. i mean look at vaio computers. what os runs on them. windows.

unless microsoft comes up with their own format similar to what sega did with the dreamcast [GD-Roms]
  • PSN-Canibuss
    PSN-Canibuss Members Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    LOL @ anyone who still thinks Blu Ray or any other disk format is "the future".

LOL @ you still playing the wii and thinking Mario is going to rescue you, instead of the princess. battiboi!!
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Xbox 720 or PS4000. All I know is the games better get longer.

I'm sick of this 6 hour romp ? for 60 bucks. They don't even make dope little cheats anymore like infinite health or ammo so as to prolong the experience and make people think they're getting a superior product. If games on average aren't 20+ hours next gen, ? 'em all.

Hell, if they switch up disc formats, a price hike is probably coming with it. We're already paying for on-disc content as DLC in a lot of cases, so I'm damn sure not looking to spend north of 65 on a disc and STILL need DLC for the complete experience.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I learned the hard way.
  • intalect
    intalect Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    knights wrote: »
    Xbox 720 or PS4000. All I know is the games better get longer.

I'm sick of this 6 hour romp ? for 60 bucks. They don't even make dope little cheats anymore like infinite health or ammo so as to prolong the experience and make people think they're getting a superior product. If games on average aren't 20+ hours next gen, ? 'em all.

Hell, if they switch up disc formats, a price hike is probably coming with it. We're already paying for on-disc content as DLC in a lot of cases, so I'm damn sure not looking to spend north of 65 on a disc and STILL need DLC for the complete experience.

I agree last gen games were longer atleast 15 hours or more for a single player campaign should be mandatory lol and for games with multiplayer atleast 12 ....It's sad that we have to go to the gta's and rpgs for games with length this gen smh....

As for Xbox 720 if it does come out next year (i still think 2013 is more fitting )... watch them drop all support for 360 just like they did the original xbox smh the ps2 just died last year Sony supports their systems the wheels fall off you gotta give them that !.... All companies learned from this generation so now they can stop with so much graphics taking up hard drive and disc space and learn to compress it and make room for longer games!
  • intalect
    intalect Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

My 1st generation ps2 is still kicking ass no lie ! same with my psp minus the nub not working right ........Imma cop a vita day 1 (because of the launch lineup )xbox 720 probably not PS4 we'll just have to see if they have the line up of vita
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    intalect wrote: »
    My 1st generation ps2 is still kicking ass no lie ! same with my psp minus the nub not working right ........Imma cop a vita day 1 (because of the launch lineup )xbox 720 probably not PS4 we'll just have to see if they have the line up of vita

mine too. ps2 fattys are better than the slims because they have a fan and better ventilation. microsoft is really the only company to have that reputation of first generation consoles failing too soon.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Word on that longer games ? . Longest games I've played this generation have been Twilight Princess, Mass Effect 2, Tales of Vesperia