is baseball a sport?

Options
Mdizzle9000
Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
i mean seriously, all these guys do is hit a ball with a stick nh, yeah its not easy and they have talent, but is it a sport? it requires no athleticism, as you can see by its fat superstars. half of the best players used roids to get that way, and it sucks to watch. how are these fat roidhead ? paid so much? they require the least amount of skill in any major sport, have the least risk of injury and barely have to run 40 feet per game.

plus they put on boring ass baseball games and interupt good shows like house etc.

if it was up to me, i'd take baseball, nascar and poker tourneys and move them ? to espn8 the ocho.

Comments

• KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    MAn close this ? , you cant be serious
  • sickbizzle
    sickbizzle Members Posts: 1,184 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    you're ? dumb.
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I think so. Takes athletic skill and you can get hurt in it. Makes it a sport to me.
  • iAMNOVA
    iAMNOVA Members Posts: 2,493 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    com'on son....
  • wescravin
    wescravin Members Posts: 156
    edited May 2010
    Options
    yo man u ever try to hit a curveball at a decent speed theat ? is hard sonny, especially after a couple fastballs. and there is 90 ft between bases haha. but u do get a dose of athleticism from time to time vbut i think that it does take alot of skill to make it to the big leagues. its like one of the hardest sports to get into all the minor leagues u have to go through, then to actually prove urself at the major league.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Being a power hitter maybe not so much athleticism.

Running bases, playing outfield and shortstop, hand eye coordination, reaction time, all aspects of athleticism. Put a 250 lb ? at shortstop then tell me you need no athleticism to play.
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    well i guess i was being too harsh, but tell me i'm wrong about this:

baseball is overrated in America and is nowhere near as great as basketball or football(or tennis or soccer imo), the players are overpaid and deserve less money than nfl and nba players because those sports require more skills, and the ? is boring to watch.

and why is it considered americas sport? dont we lose to japan n ? ?
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    IsEdTooTallJonesTooTall.jpg
    Options
    well i guess i was being too harsh, but tell me i'm wrong about this:

baseball is overrated in America and is nowhere near as great as basketball or football(or tennis or soccer imo), the players are overpaid and deserve less money than nfl and nba players because those sports require more skills, and the ? is boring to watch.

and why is it considered americas sport? dont we lose to japan n ? ?

I agree that basketball and football (and World Cup Soccer) are greater than baseball.

However, you can't say that baseball requires less skill. MLB players make amazing plays look routine all the time. Have you ever watched a 6-4-3 double play where the shortstop dives to stop a ball first? ? like that takes great hand-eye coordination, throwing precision, and quick decision making. Although baseball isn't fun to watch, it is fun to play. And there are a lot of mind games that go into it as well. You have to be on top of your strategy and make good decisions at all times.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I don't think so.

Baseball requires more SKILL than it does actual athleticism...but I guess it just depends on how you define athleticism.
  • Moment.of.Silence
    Moment.of.Silence Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    people like to ? on hockey and soccer but it takes a lot more physical skill to play those games than baseball..im not a big fan of any of those sports but baseball i really dont understand the hype about it..i agree with t/s move that ? to the ocho..
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    people like to ? on hockey and soccer but it takes a lot more physical skill to play those games than baseball..im not a big fan of any of those sports but baseball i really dont understand the hype about it..i agree with t/s move that ? to the ocho..

yeah i dont like those 2 sports but i'd take them in all aspects over baseball. tennis too, i love watchin serena and her big ass gettin it in.
  • wescravin
    edited May 2010
    Options
    well if they had a salary cap maybe dudes wouldnt be gettin them outrageous contracts cuz i dont give a ? how many homeruns u hit u dont need 252 mil to play some baseball. but hey if teams make enough money to pay for their talent like that ? it more power to em. yea it may not be as excitin as bball or football but ? a sport named soccer i dont care ? mls, wc, euro league...etc i try to watch it and will on rare occasions but if i had to choose between baseball or soccer ? baseball hand down.
  • 1of1
    edited May 2010
    Options
    wescravin wrote: »
    well if they had a salary cap maybe dudes wouldnt be gettin them outrageous contracts cuz i dont give a ? how many homeruns u hit u dont need 252 mil to play some baseball. but hey if teams make enough money to pay for their talent like that ? it more power to em. yea it may not be as excitin as bball or football but ? a sport named soccer i dont care ? mls, wc, euro league...etc i try to watch it and will on rare occasions but if i had to choose between baseball or soccer ? baseball hand down.

Watch the World Cup En Espanol. It's better than baseball.
  • wescravin
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Watch the World Cup En Espanol. It's better than baseball.

aight but if idk i jus need to get into the rules and learn how the offenses and defenses wrk cuz thats the ? that ? me up the most(which now that i think of it thats pretty much everything haha) plus i speak lil bit of spanish but i can get past that. hell i got into hockey this year nd not cuz of the ? at espn, jus wanted to state that for the record haha
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    wescravin wrote: »
    aight but if idk i jus need to get into the rules and learn how the offenses and defenses wrk cuz thats the ? that ? me up the most(which now that i think of it thats pretty much everything haha) plus i speak lil bit of spanish but i can get past that. hell i got into hockey this year nd not cuz of the ? at espn, jus wanted to state that for the record haha

at least they runnin around and doin ? instead of standin there, chewin tobacco and being fat.
  • 1of1
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I mean, what other sport gives you great drama like this...
    football5.gif
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    football5.gif

dude that hit like a little girl lauced
  • wescravin
    edited May 2010
    Options
    at least they runnin around and doin ? instead of standin there, chewin tobacco and being fat.

yea but the camera isnt on the outfielders the whole game its on the pitcher and batter mostly. so if the outfielders jus jogged around throughout the game ud be more entertained??
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    football5.gif

I refuse to believe you actually watch that ? .

Is this a joke? Are we in the twilight zone?
  • 1of1
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »

I watch the World Cup. I don't like soccer, but in 2006 I watched the whole thing in Spanish and I must admit that it was infectious.

I'm a basketball/football person, and I didn't want to get into the World Cup, but as I said once I started watching it in Spanish it was great. They have so much enthusiasm.
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited May 2010
    Options
    soccer would be better if they made the goal alot smaller but took away the goaltender so scoring would be easier like basketball, same goes for hockey

so the dudes could score more than like 2 times, making ? more fun to watch
  • Moment.of.Silence
    Moment.of.Silence Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »

lol..they were making fun of another player..these dudes is on the same team..
  • stevieb
    stevieb Members Posts: 180
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I agree that basketball and football (and World Cup Soccer) are greater than baseball.

However, you can't say that baseball requires less skill. MLB players make amazing plays look routine all the time. Have you ever watched a 6-4-3 double play where the shortstop dives to stop a ball first? ? like that takes great hand-eye coordination, throwing precision, and quick decision making. Although baseball isn't fun to watch, it is fun to play. And there are a lot of mind games that go into it as well. You have to be on top of your strategy and make good decisions at all times.

Yeah I agree you have to play it to appreciate it more. ? I wish I would have stuck with it I might be playing D-1 ball now hahaha
  • illogics
    illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Baseball is a boring sport filled with juicers and ridiculous salaries.