Who's The Biggest Sell-Out In Hip Hop

Options
I'm THAT guy...
I'm THAT guy... Members Posts: 2,544
edited May 2010 in The Reason
I'll say Lil Wayne, he went to procaliming he's the "best rapper alive" to making rock songs for white teenage suburban kids.

Comments

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    flava flav.

• hrap-120
    hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    JayZ = The way he did Dame, and BP3 catapults him into Clarence Thomas territory.
  • BEONDON
    BEONDON Members Posts: 112
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Jay-Z

didn't he say himself he dumbed down his lyrics to make more money........if that ain't selling out idk what is
  • Nut Did N' Cider
    Nut Did N' Cider Members Posts: 1,210 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    BEONDON wrote: »
    Jay-Z

didn't he say himself he dumbed down his lyrics to make more money........if that ain't selling out idk what is

The definition of it
  • EscoHovNyGo
    EscoHovNyGo Members Posts: 632
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'll say Lil Wayne, he went to procaliming he's the "best rapper alive" to making rock songs for white teenage suburban kids.

You know why ? Cuz Those suburban kids are the largest demographic for hiphop sales.

In some rare youtube video with birdman an dame dash were talking .. Dame said that selling a million was crazy, Birdmans reply "FUKIN WITH THOSE CRACKA'S"
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    BEONDON wrote: »
    Jay-Z

sooo making your music appeal to a wider audience is selling out ? i can't co sign that. you in the music biz to make money. especially now when no one in the hood is buying albums i guess he should be like beans lol
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    jay z close thread. what cracks me up is that he always shouts out pac and biggie and tells them R.I.P. but never acknowledges big l. how u gonna shout out a ? that trashed you (pac), a ? that aint ? wit you until you signed to a major label (Big), but dont even acknowledge the man that gave you a spot on his album (Big L) when no one else gave a ? about you? if that aint a sell out, then i dont know what is smmfh
  • reef hustle_ahh
    reef hustle_ahh Members Posts: 461
    edited May 2010
    Options
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    sooo making your music appeal to a wider audience is selling out ? i can't co sign that. you in the music biz to make money. especially now when no one in the hood is buying albums i guess he should be like beans lol

yeah thats pretty much the definition of sellin out...if you gotta MAKE it appeal to a wider audience

as much i hate say it common is a pretty big sell out..mainly cuz he been talkin all that 'stay true' ? for all these years and now he on gap and gatorade commercials
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options

A lot of these rappers are making money. Selling your soul to do so is selling out.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • qawshun
    edited May 2010
    Options
    jay didn't sellout but timberland did
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • CollegeBoi12
    CollegeBoi12 Members Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    This is an easy one
    Black Eyed Peas
    Before they added Fergie and went mainstream, they were actually pretty good
    Now, they make nothing but straight pop songs
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    This is an easy one
    Black Eyed Peas
    Before they added Fergie and went mainstream, they were actually pretty good
    Now, they make nothing but straight pop songs

yeah true that. you wouldn't even think that Eazy E discovered them
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    jay-z

wayne is ass but he was always a ? bling bling rapper so he's just being himself
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you ain't buying albums and supporting artists, you got no business putting forth your opinion. Whether you like it or not, the music business is a BUSINESS, people got family's to feed. If you gotta "sell-out" to appeal to the audience that actually cop CD's, then you do what you gotta do. Jay sold millions with his last album, but Untitled, one of the best rap albums of recent years barely cracked Gold. Distant Relatives isn't gonna see gold for a while, and yet I haven't met anyone who didn't say Nas and Damian killed it. ? you downloading ass ? who always complain about artists selling out and don't support artists you like.
  • RayLY
    RayLY Members Posts: 339
    edited May 2010
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you ain't buying albums and supporting artists, you got no business putting forth your opinion. Whether you like it or not, the music business is a BUSINESS, people got family's to feed. If you gotta "sell-out" to appeal to the audience that actually cop CD's, then you do what you gotta do. Jay sold millions with his last album, but Untitled, one of the best rap albums of recent years barely cracked Gold. Distant Relatives isn't gonna see gold for a while, and yet I haven't met anyone who didn't say Nas and Damian killed it. ? you downloading ass ? who always complain about artists selling out and don't support artists you like.

Co-sign. Buy music, it's not that expensive you know.
  • qawshun
    edited May 2010
    Options
    yeah thats pretty much the definition of sellin out...if you gotta MAKE it appeal to a wider audience

as much i hate say it common is a pretty big sell out..mainly cuz he been talkin all that 'stay true' ? for all these years and now he on gap and gatorade commercials

your in it to make money jay didn't change up what he spit about. i can see if he went from tracks like excuse me miss to some ? black eyed peas put out. it seems like once you make millions you become a sellout if you stay broke your alright
  • jpcrack
    jpcrack Members Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Sellout Arena's yea Hov done that but his lyrics still on point...Puff Jay Snoop Superstars in Music Period I woundn't call them sellouts...$mart....yea
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I don't understand why people consider artists who take a different direction musically as sell-outs.
  • Reggie80
    Reggie80 Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I would say Ja rule man that ? was out of ? control
  • I'm THAT guy...
    I'm THAT guy... Members Posts: 2,544
    edited May 2010
    Options
    your in it to make money jay didn't change up what he spit about. i can see if he went from tracks like excuse me miss to some ? black eyed peas put out. it seems like once you make millions you become a sellout if you stay broke your alright

C/s, even tho he dumbed down his lyrics, Jay was basically talking about the same ? . I understand artist are in the rap game to make money but some artist go TOO far to make that money.
  • Wishbone Jones
    Wishbone Jones Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    old ny rappers wished they could sell out