Why can't punchline rappers make classic albums?

Options
idoitforhiphop10
idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in The Reason
i can't name one punchline rapper with a classic album. The only rapper that came close to making a classic was big l with lifestyles ov da poor and dangerous (which in my opinion is a 4.5/5) and redman with muddy waters (which is also a 4.5/5).

im gonna go down a list of notable punchline favs with their best albums and rate them on a 1-5 scale.

jadakiss-kiss of death (4/5)
fabolous-ghetto fabolous (3.5/5)
cassidy-im a hustla (3.5/5)
ludacris-back for the first time (4/5)
lloyd banks-the hunger for more (3.5/5)
papoose-nacirema dream (so terrible the label didn't even bother releasing it)

so what do you guys think it is? these guys have great freestyles and have great cameo appearances, but can never fully deliver on an album. why so?

Comments

• NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    In Most Circles Reggie Noble Has 3 Arguable Classics (his first 3) He Has One Best Catalogues In Hop Hop Period...Since When Is He A Punchline Rapper Anyway?.....But I Agree With You On Everything Else Big L Debut Is Near Classic/Very Solid.....
  • delwons
    delwons Members Posts: 181 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    because punchline rappers are like battle rappers they only focus on that one style. you have to get the balance right thats what makes a great emcee.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Punchline rappers dont know how to craft songs, they rely on punchlines too much.
  • reef hustle_ahh
    reef hustle_ahh Members Posts: 461
    edited May 2010
    Options
    yeah that redman one was off..he aint a 'punchline' rapper and muddy waters is widely considered classic
    i'd also argue that word of mouf is luda's best album

but as for your question, its b/c constructing punchlines has nothing to do with being a good artist and making quality and consistent music. the two skills are completely seperate. one is all cleverness, the other is musical inclination and artistic vision

for instance, to me rick ross is not a good 'emcee' but he makes good music, while method man is prob a top 30 emcee who doesnt consistently make good music
  • RayLY
    RayLY Members Posts: 339
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's because they don't focus on concepts of songs, and album sequencing. They mostly throw bunch of unconnected lines that sound good, and are at best clever but not something that leaves a lasting impression. Furthermore one of the major weakness of every punchline mc is that they mostly rap about their mic abbilities. Which is cool, well that's the basics of rap but if your making an album you have to have large variety of topics. I would disagree with statement about Red, Whut thee Album had great concepts, was fresh both lyrically and beat wise, plus he has mad personality which is thing that most of punchline emcees lack.
  • idoitforhiphop10
    edited May 2010
    Options
    you all make great points. maybe i classified redman wrong but the reason i mentioned him is because he says so much clever ? that it overshadows the content of his music.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    RayLY wrote: »
    It's because they don't focus on concepts of songs, and album sequencing. They mostly throw bunch of unconnected lines that sound good, and are at best clever but not something that leaves a lasting impression. Furthermore one of the major weakness of every punchline mc is that they mostly rap about their mic abbilities. Which is cool, well that's the basics of rap but if your making an album you have to have large variety of topics. I would disagree with statement about Red, Whut thee Album had great concepts, was fresh both lyrically and beat wise, plus he has mad personality which is thing that most of punchline emcees lack.

Cosign 100%
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited May 2010
    Options
    For some reason I like the big picture more then lifestyles.

Punchline rappers are repetitive.
  • I'm THAT guy...
    I'm THAT guy... Members Posts: 2,544
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Alot of punchline rappers aim for standout lines instead of standout songs
  • Mvpbrodie93
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Alot of punchline rappers aim for standout lines instead of standout songs

They will ? a mixtape but they're album SUCKS
  • idoitforhiphop10
    edited May 2010
    Options
    For some reason I like the big picture more then lifestyles.

Punchline rappers are repetitive.

the big picture sounds unorganized to me. its not as well thought out as LODPAD
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    delwons wrote: »
    because punchline rappers are like battle rappers they only focus on that one style. you have to get the balance right thats what makes a great emcee.

yup. Big L had the best punchlines but he could still rap circles around most without a punch line. He didn't depend on them. Redman doesn't depend on punchlines either. Dude is just a born entertainer and funny as hell, I never really thought of him as a "punchline rapper"

take punchlines away from Wayne and Drake and what do ya got?
  • thecoldest
    thecoldest Members Posts: 12
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Punchlines = No Stories

I'm sorry but I feel like you have to either tell a story or dedicate one song to a real life issue in order for it to be classic
  • supaman4321
    supaman4321 Members Posts: 946
    edited June 2010
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    yup. Big L had the best punchlines but he could still rap circles around most without a punch line. He didn't depend on them. Redman doesn't depend on punchlines either. Dude is just a born entertainer and funny as hell, I never really thought of him as a "punchline rapper"

take punchlines away from Wayne and Drake and what do ya got?

? !

characters
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    genstasia wrote: »
    because they focus on punchlines... And when ur a punchline rapper u more than likely have direction... u should've Mentioned Weezy too cuz he doesnt have a classic... yet.

unless that ? can craft some stories and be more consistent i dont think he will ever drop a classic. just my opinion
  • therealist_
    therealist_ Members Posts: 3,389 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ugh .. i swear i'm not a Wayne stan .. but its obvious the IC never heard "tha Carter 2".
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ugh .. i swear i'm not a Wayne stan .. but its obvious the IC never heard "tha Carter 2".

i owned it but just wasnt that impressed, i was more impressed Tha Carter, but i honestly dont even check for his music no more.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Tha carter>>>>>>>>any other wayne album
  • therealist_
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Tha carter>>>>>>>>any other wayne album

Hustlers Music, Hit Em Up, Tha Mobb >>>>>>>>> Tha Carter
  • HustleThaDon
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hustlers Music, Hit Em Up, Tha Mobb >>>>>>>>> Tha Carter

I dont think so. Go dj, walk in, cash money millionaires, earthquake, snitch, bring it back>>>>>>carter 2
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? !

You think all L brought were punchlines? Big L could spit multis like Eminem and tell stories like Biggie. I'm not necessarily saying he was overall as good as them, but thats true. AND he had better punchlines than 90% of these new rappers. He didn't depend on punchlines.
  • therealist_
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I dont think so. Go dj, walk in, cash money millionaires, earthquake, snitch, bring it back>>>>>>carter 2

heh .. iono man .. "Fly In" "Fly Out" "Money On my Mind", "Best Rapper Alive", and "Shooter" >>>
  • HustleThaDon
    edited June 2010
    Options
    heh .. iono man .. "Fly In" "Fly Out" "Money On my Mind", "Best Rapper Alive", and "Shooter" >>>

Lol we'll just agree to disagree
  • therealist_
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Lol we'll just agree to disagree

lol, yeah, i agree man.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Carter > Carter 2. I bump every song on the Carter Carter 2 had a couple fillers on it. but both were great albums