If the Colts are gonna draft Luck, why not just trade Manning?

Options
usmarin3
usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
Lets be real, Manning will probably play for another 3-5 years. Are they just gonna have Luck sit on the bench for that long of a time with dudes like Newton, Bradford,etc coming straight into the league and starting. I mean why keep Manning at this point when truth of the matter is the Colts run is over and you're paying a lot of money to a aging qb.

What do you think they're gonna do, draft Luck and sit him behind Manning or just trade Manning and get something for him?

Comments

• usmarin3
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Brah, Manning will be back next year and will still be a productive QB. Dudes career is far from ? done, ? up neck and all. You see the garbage ass QB's in the league right now?
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Who says they won't

See: san fran and montana
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    because they will have just paid him $28 million. if you pay him that much, it would be stupid to trade him
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Peyton ain't gon want to he there if they do that.

He basically said that already.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    If you trade peyton, who would want him/has ? to trade for him?

Miami maybe? Seahawks? Jags? Maybe even Vikings.... Idk...

I cant see Peyton anywhere but IND lol
  • usmarin3
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Someone who is on the brink of winning a superbowl who needs a quality qb and has ? to offer up. If i'm the Jets i would see if i could get him.
  • edutained_by_hh
    edutained_by_hh Members Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Someone who is on the brink of winning a superbowl who needs a quality qb and has ? to offer up. If i'm the Jets i would see if i could get him.

That would be a good fit for Peyton. He basically would run the offense himself, and let the other coaches work on getting that D like it was in years past. He would have some good weapons to throw the ball to, and he would open up the running game too, because teams would be forced to respect the passing attack.
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Luck sittin behind Peyton ala Brett Farve/Aaron Rodgers
  • Pusskaveli
    Pusskaveli Members Posts: 1,562
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The Jets Cant Afford Peyton, But I GUARANTEE They Will Try To Find a Way
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Because it's going to be hard to trade Manning , obviously somethin career threatning wise is wrong if you reach a point of "Lets just trade Peyton Manning" one of the greatest of all-time , a team is going to want to know why you're trading him

And no Manning is not going to be playing no 3-5 years, he'll be lucky if he plays another one at all....

you keep thinking about "Oh he's good to go now' , nobody knows how he will respond in physical contact, he cant even get right to practice how the ? is this dude gonna play Contact football in the NFL ??....he himself doesn't know his own time table every interview it's on some "Well im hopeful it will be......."

One good shot could put this guy in a wheel chair , the guy has had 3 surgeries in a 19 month span

new reports have said the percentage of him retiring have increased over 50% ....

i still say Peyton will never play again, the guy had every record in sight just about as a QB and we know Manning just doesn't miss games clearly his injury is career threatning ..

Nobody is gonna wanna trade for a QB who no one knows how he will react when he's in pads again and making $20 Mil per season ..
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Dude. stop it.

Who in their right mind would trade for a qb who is one hard next twist away, from permanent disability or even death

LOL DeadD at the bolded
  • Shizlansky
    edited November 2011
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    An ideal situation is to have luck sit back and learn from Peyton for a year or two...

That ? dont mean nothing.

I.E. Matt Cassell...

2012 to be fair every player is one NECK (not next) twist from permanent disability or even death
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Montana, Young

Favre, Rodgers

its been done before.....

Ideally, you DON'T want to toss a Rookie QB into the fire if you can help it. That's why Reid barely let McNabb play his rookie season. Great NFL QBs just don't come into the league dominating like Shaq or Jordan or Kareem. Dan Marino is about the only exception I can think of.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    peyton will be traded or he'll retire ..... INDY will want to move on and that will force peyton to make some tough decisions .

u never know INDY might offer the boy the offensive coordinator spot that would fit him perfectly with luck coming in ....
  • kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Luck sittin behind Peyton ala Brett Farve/Aaron Rodgers

pretty much

i wouldn't trade him

i'll wait and see if he can come back

and then let luck sit back and learn

i highly doubt luck wouldn't want to learn from the smartest qb to ever play the game

and plz don't bring up no "look at curtis painter" ?

nugga couldn't hold andrew luck left nut on the football field

that nugga is ass cheeks
  • Ekscape
    Ekscape Members Posts: 1,842
    edited November 2011
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    An ideal situation is to have luck sit back and learn from Peyton for a year or two...

That ain't happening; Luck is gonna come in take one look at Tebow starting at Denver and say, "If he get's to play hell naw i'm playing now" lol
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I think Manning is done. Once i read he was going overseas for stem cell i've just figured that it's a wrap for his career. and Manning's salary is a monster with that new contract and a serious neck injury. not gonna be easy to trade.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I think they should keep Payton. Let him drive this broke down car until its fixed and up to speed.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Ekscape wrote: »
    That ain't happening; Luck is gonna come in take one look at Tebow starting at Denver and say, "If he get's to play hell naw i'm playing now" lol

NAH he doesn't seem like that type of guy. He coulda came out last year right??
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    They were stupid as ? for given him that titanic contract at this age in the first place..
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    If they were smart they would flip luck Into some talent to help mannings ass .... Maybe a RB/CB/T whatever the case maybe teams will give up the farm to land luck ... Muthafuckas actin like luck can't be a bust .... Give me the proven HOF guy who just had this same team in the playoffs last season over some unknown rookie
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    edited December 2011
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    I think Manning is done. Once i read he was going overseas for stem cell i've just figured that it's a wrap for his career. and Manning's salary is a monster with that new contract and a serious neck injury. not gonna be easy to trade.
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Montana, Young

Favre, Rodgers

its been done before.....

Ideally, you DON'T want to toss a Rookie QB into the fire if you can help it. That's why Reid barely let McNabb play his rookie season. Great NFL QBs just don't come into the league dominating like Shaq or Jordan or Kareem. Dan Marino is about the only exception I can think of.

Neither of those dudes were number 1 overall picks getting number 1 overall pick money .... Bad example
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Peyton Manning will be 36 years old when he comes back for a full season next year. I mean, besides Brett Favre..........What quarterback plays in their 40's? Why would you want to continue to build your franchise around an old ass quarterback that just went through neck surgery? Luck could possibly be a bust but you still have to at least attempt to set your team up for success in the future.

Nothing about mannings game suggest a fall off .... No indication what so ever ... So ur telling me ur going to just dump this HOF who just last year Lost by one point in the playoffs with this same exact as team ...for a guy that albeit looks good but is unproven?? Why?? Look bruh it's 2012 medicine advancements/workouts are going to allow certain athletes to play longer these days ... It ain't the 60's
  • rayzadag
    rayzadag Members Posts: 9
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Without Manning this team sucks, they need a quarterback for the future.

Maxprodata Infysource
  • Shizlansky
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Nothing about Mannings' game suggest a fall off but age does. You can't compete with age. He's almost 40 dawg. Like I asked on the post you quoted, "what QB's besides Brett Favre plays in their 40's? <
    In this day age with medicine advancements? His time is almost up. Earlier in this thread I posted that they can't trade him because nobody is going to want to take on that big ass contract for an old as QB with a neck injury. I don't think you just dump Peyton but you definately look towards your future. You can't do that by building a team around yo old ass QB who's going to leave sooner than later. Their great chances of getting a high draft pick with the amount of talented QB's coming out of college this year may not ever happen again. Have to take advantage of that. Not get running backs that come a dime a dozen.

To be honest i never understood this when it comes to football. Shouldnt you always be improveing your team?

Its like saying we not gon bulid this team up till we get lucky and get a QB.

In basketball I understand. You have to have different pieces depending on your best player.

But in football you should always be looking for a good DFF and a good OFF.